Forum Jump: 

#121 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys, check this out:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hreadid=133131

It is AMAZING!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#122 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 03:33 PM

Thanks Chrissy-that was beautiful! It brought tears to my eyes
#123 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 03:46 PM

Jen, good luck with winning the co-sleeper! do you get a lot off of ebay?

greenbeing, I dont think you should feel bad about your team mate being moved to 4th grade. after all, someone else made the decision right, so its not your fault? try to be happy you get to stay where you are!

chrissy, thanks for sending that link. its going around on the AOL homebirth boards as well. my fav. pic was the one where mom is pushing and the 2 kids are peeking in. and I REALLY want Riley to get to cut the cord with this baby!! seems like it would be such a neat experience for a kid!
#124 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 06:42 PM

*sniffle* I'm sick! And it's most annoying. Didn't sleep well last night thanks to coughing and my head is so stuffed up....*sigh* I hope i feel better tomorrow, otherwise I'll be calling the doctor.

My husband left this afternoon for a week away. He gets back on Friday and has to leave again on Sunday for another week away. I miss him so much when he's away. (And of course, being sick makes it a bit worse.)

Does anyone know if Ricola cough drops are okay to eat? I got a neti pot and it seems to help when my head hurts too bad from sinus pressure. *sigh* Sometimes I really miss being able to take a sudafed or something.

I'll have to catch up on posts later. I think I'm going to wander off and take a nap.

Lazuli
#125 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 07:54 PM

I was told the ricola with echinacea is okay after the first trimester.

I have been sick all week, and it was reccomended to me by several people to try the GSE saline spary...WOW!!! It really helped with the respitory infection, I was ready to go on antibiotics becuase of all the nasty stuff in me, but this cleared it up in two days...

Feel better...

Caroline
#126 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 08:45 PM

Lazuli, I'm sorry that you're feeling sick, especially when you're alone. I think that all that chat between us a few weeks ago about head colds is somewhere in this thread... steam your head! that helps too.

Lynsey I don't buy a ton of stuff on eBay, but we have gotten some substantial things: our dining room table, for example, is from eBay (antique, tiger oak... shipping from WA was incredible, but even with shipping it was cheaper than anywhere around here), and I've bought 5 wool diaper covers so far. I've heard, though, that the trading post is a better deal for buying diapers than eBay, but I personally thought that $11 for two wool covers wasn't a bad deal... and the woman I bought two covers from threw a third in that she happened to find; that was sheer dumb luck!! I got a lot of my school clothes this year off of eBay, a sweet deal on an xl summer pregnancy lot, and I occasionally manage to deal with someone in Germany to get things that I can't locate here or are simply way cheaper in Germany (e.g. my leather school bag that cost me about $60 including shipping instead of $200 new). Jo says I'm an eBay-aholic, but I don't agree...

greenbeing - don't feel bad. It wasn't your decision and someone who is not pregnant is much more flexible and able to deal with a big change in curriculum. you're going to have other things on your mind. Someone who makes decisions cut you some slack; hopefully your teammates see that and honor that you deserve a little tlc at this point in your life.

and: mmmmmmm, coffeecake!!

well, it's back to the grind tomorrow. And the little kids - but for the last time this year, and really only 2 weeks, since we've got our off-site week the week of the 19th and no one has asked me to do anything with their classes other than the 3rd grade field trip, which I need to plan out in great detail. we're going to a German restaurant and they will have to order in German - many of them are already nervous and asking questions like "If we get scared and can't do it, do we still get to eat?". They're so earnest! I just hope sam and ben don't ask for beer : they've been joking about that.

In May I get a student teacher. I hope it goes well.

I think we should be renaming Sprout to Pogo - because s/he feels like she's constantly pogoing in my belly! Holy cow, baby! The movement is finally noticeable on the outside and Jo's been spending time with her hand on my belly. And this morning she said the sweetest thing: she says she is ready for me to be done being pregnant, because she wants to meet Sprout. This from the woman who only 3 months ago was totally freaked out that we are becoming parents. What a turnaround! Yippee!

With mirthful girth,

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#127 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 09:51 PM

Thanks Jen, I'd forgotten all about the cold discussion! I'm pretty sure I have some peppermint tea, but I'm fresh out of chamomile and not going to the store. I'll go fetch my ricola from the car in a minute and hopefully that will get rid of the annoying tickle in my throat.

I really wish I'd start feeling some movement.... *frets a bit* (I have thought I might have felt a kick a time or two, but I'm not sure.....maybe I have felt some movement and just haven't realized.) I can't wait for September to get here.

I am babbling, I should just curl up in bed with a book or watch a movie......

Lazuli
#128 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 10:08 PM

Lazuli - even if you just use steam - without the chamomile - it will help.

healing vibes!

Aley (Mommyto3): welcome! We have named our incubating wonder 'sprout' too!!

j

#129 of 469 Old 04-11-2004, 10:41 PM

Hello Hillary and Aley! Nice to meet you!

Well I had a great weekend. We went to get professional pics taken of the kids yesterday and they did wonderful. I was so pleased because I have tried several other times and it never works out - Paityn cries, Riley scowls, this one time there was a bleeding incident...: but yesterday no one cried and they both looked at the camera and smiled. I dont have any pictures of them (besides snapshots of course) since Paityn was 6 weeks old and Riley 4. I cant wait to get the proofs back and order. Im just nervous about how much its going to cost. I know I will want to buy prints of every shot.

Anyways, the proofs will be on a CD so possibly I can figure out shutterfly or one of those websites and send a few pics to everyone. Im not very good at that stuff though and the pics will have PROOF written across the front, but you will still be able to see how cute they are.

I finished reading the book I borrowed from my MW: Vaccinations: the issue of our times. It was really interesting, although outdated. Even though she is not a child getting 500 shots at a time, it really makes me wonder why my mom gets a flu shot every year since she has so many other medical problems... Well I guess I am getting a little off topic.

I will "talk" to everyone tomorrow. Good night!
#130 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning - I hope everyone had a nice, relaxing day yesterday. Jack ate nothing but junk and hunted for eggs for a long time, so he had a fabulous time. We went for dinner with dh's family and they didn't annoy me to much - I actually had a pretty good time.

I am Ebay crazy. I sell a fair amount of stuff and then save the money in my Paypal account so I can afford to buy! Mainly I buy baby stuff, but lately have gotten maternity and Teletubbie things. Jack is crazy about Teletubbies, but you can't really buy toys anywhere anymore.

We started looking for houses, which is exciting but stressful too. We want to move pretty quickly and there aren't a lot of acceptable houses in our price range. Plus since fil in helping us buy, he has to be involved and give his approval as well. My mom is "hurt" that we are moving out : (we have been there for 6 months longer than the original agreement, so the guilt trip is driving me crazy). So now she is rushing us out, I think to hurt me back a little. Mothers and daughters - so wonderful and so guilt ridden!!!!

Almost no one is in the office today, which is wonderful. Makes it worth having gotten out of bed on this dreary, rainy day.
#131 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 11:10 AM

I just totally dated myself with that subject line, but I'm thinking that most everyone here, save the "really" young ones are familiar with that song by the Bangles...

What a fine start to the week... a bad night's sleep and Eddie meowing and scratching at things early to get one of us up. So not only am I tired, but I feel guilty because the first thing I did was be mean to my cat... : I'm ready for my maternity leave now! And of course Sydney is here trying to cheer me up by stepping directly on my uterus. What dear, understanding felines I have.

Re-entry into life after vacations is so hard.

This kind of behavior can't be good for Sprout.

And then when I think of the fact that I only have to teach 1.5 hours today I am ready to kick myself for being such a whiner.

Perhaps I should just kick myself into the shower.

Luckily, things can only get better from here.

j

#132 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM

eBay.

If you ever go read my profile, you will see it says "eBay Ho". :LOL

I buy things, but mostly sell on eBay; it helps me earn a substantial part of our income. Though lately I've been lazy! I have to get my butt in eBay mode.

I have been buying diapers and diaper covers like mad ( a couple on eBay, but mostly not). I even bought some specific girly diapers before I knew the gender of the babe because they were simply too cute to pass up! I think I seel those on eBay or on the TP; hopefully I'll make most of my money back.
I have about 1/3 of my stash complete!

Jen-
I think teachers suffer from post-vacation blahs more than anyone! Poor hubby gets so cranky when vacation is over!
#133 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 05:37 PM

Oh yeah- I was the one who previously mentioned that whenever I come across an Ezzo book at the store, I put them all in the science fiction section!
#134 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 06:01 PM

Woohoo! Thanks to a diaper swap I participated in, I got three cute AIOs for our up and coming little guy.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#135 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 07:02 PM

I wanna buy diaper covers and stuff but my husband won't let me! *sniffle* He says I have to wait until after my mom has a baby shower for us. (Which isn't until June.) Then I can buy some things. *sigh*

I need to drag myself to the grocery tonight to get the ingredients for garlic soup and some vitamin C...oh, and some chamomile tea too so I can steam my head. I wish my stomach could handle some nice spicy food....Tom yum soup would be so good! (Not that I can gt any of that around here anyway.)

Lazuli
#136 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 07:14 PM

Aren't men a drag when it comes to buying something? They always say wait, wait, wait and then they go out and buy something.

Lazuli I hope you feel better soon. My allergies are giving me a run for my money.

#137 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 07:42 PM

Lazuli I am curious which Chicagoland suburb you live in. We have relatives who live in Libertyville.

The day was not as bad as I thought it would be, and I went to Dunn Bros. inbetween classes and meeting and they made me a steamed milk with honey for $1!!

Danielle - I think it was extra hard since spring break was 2 weeks long. Luckily all of the children were very ready to come back to school and in tremendously good spirits. The 2nd grade is now very earnest after I told them that there are 8 whole days of German left this year and then I won't be their teacher until they're in 4th grade at the earliest. That made their eyes very big and then they were suddenly much better behaved.

The first graders are very excited about my baby.

Time to cook dinner.

j

#138 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 09:13 PM

Jen - We're in Joliet. It's a nice enough place and we like our house, but I really miss all the yummy restaurants in Chicago. I really wish there was a Whole Foods around here. The closest one is a good half an hour away and it's pretty small and seems to have more gourmet type stuff. There isn't even a health food store here! Ah well....it could be worse, I could still live in Ohio.

I should go make my garlic soup and take my vitamin C and some garlic capsules and then...steam my head. I just hope I can get rid of this before it moves into my chest and vocal cords.

Lazuli
#139 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 09:55 PM

Mmmmmm... garlic! But maybe good that your husband is away with all that garlic you're eating? :LOL

My brother-in-law is from Ohio (Bryan). Home of Ohio Arts and Spangler candy canes. Only thing that would make me happy about living in Ohio is regular access to Skyline chili.

Sprout is doing gymnastics.

j

#140 of 469 Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 PM

I couldn't live if there wasn't garlic in my kitchen. Garlic is a wonderful thing. My husband loves it as much as me.

Jen- 2 weeks is a long spring break! I am glad the 2nd graders straightened up.

Lazuli - I love Gino's East Pizza. I have been to Chicago once and I miss all the good eating there.

#141 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 AM

Good Morning Ladies! I sure missed a lot, I have been busy and couldn't make it here for a few days. Today is my birthday! Yippee! At this exact time 31 years ago, I was 1 hour old. That just makes me even more excited to meet our little nugget.

Lynsey and Anna, so great to hear about wonderful births in your lives!

Jen, so you are telling me that Skyline Chili is good? We got some from a friend who just raved about it, but we are a little scared of it, so its been in our freezer for about 6 months. The whole chili on spaghetti in a frozen package just makes me .

Lazuli, I hope you feel better soon!

My dh is addicted to ebay, I keep telling him, look for baby stuff! But he's not likely to be doing that unless I'm sitting next to him giving directions. I'm not really into buying anything right now either, I'm also waiting for shower things. I figure I'll register for all of my dream items (like all fitted dipes) then shop for what's missing when its all over (like Trading Post CPFs). I am a pretty big second hand shopper to begin with and internet shopping is oh so lovely, I get burnt in minutes going to stores.

Meredith, I'm glad you won't have to move to 4th grade, sorry about your teammate. Polish coffee cake sounds divine!

Sarah, good luck house hunting, it takes a lot out of you and can be frustrating, but the market goes nuts at this time of year, so hopefully lots of great houses will come onto the market for ya.

Shannon, its great to see you and I'm so excited to hear that you are ready to TTC again! Keep us posted, I'll try to keep an eye out for ya! Best of luck to you!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#142 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM

Happy birthday Adventuregirl! Hope you have a really great day!

You know, I'm from a suburb of Cincinnati and I have never eaten Skyline. But then, I REALLY don't like chili, so that may have a lot to do with it. My little brother loves the stuff though.

I'm feeling a little better this morning, hurray! I think I'm going to have garlic soup for breakfast. Maybe I'll try to plant some garlic in our garden this fall, we use so much of the stuff. We eat lots of garlic at our house. I think I might have to go through my cookbooks and find a good soup to make. Hmmm...I should probably post my lentil loaf recipe, I still haven't done that. Oops! Maybe I should start a recipe thread.....

Jen - Don't worry about the doll pattern. I'm so behind on my sewing right now it's not even funny. I have got to get my baby quilts made! My husband bought fabric as well to make a quilt for Vaysh.

Lazuli
#143 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 12:43 PM

Hey everybody!

Sounds like we have all had pretty good weekends! Here i am back at work. It is being very sucky today, lots of mail to sort and a grumpy boss wanting it all done about a half an hour ago! JEEEZ MAN! Take a chill pill. It will get sorted and distributed.

Anyway, looks like i will be too busy to chat much today, but wanted to say that we had a really great weekend and a really positive talk with my dad about buying the farm house that i grew up in. Nothing was decided but my dad was really positive in his reaction and gave us some really good feedback. It feels like we are taking steps twords something permanent for our future!

Also, today we are having an ultrasound done. I am excited and nervous and really hope that it goes well. We will finally find out if it is twins or not! I just hope that they don't find anything questionable to get me all worked up about. Jerome is going with me and i have the rest of the day off afterwards....So please think of us today and send us good vibes....

Today I saw tulips blooming on the way to work! Horray for Easter tulips!

With crossed fingers,
Anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#144 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 03:22 PM

Mmmmmmmn, pregnancy tea! I bought a bunch of loose herbs from, oh shoot I can't remember the name of the site, but they have a banner here at MDC. At first with my morning sickness I didn't like it. But now I do, well except for the spearmint, so I'm just not adding that anymore. I'm using Red Raspberry Leaf, Oat Straw, Nettle Leaf, and Alfalfa.

Anna, I can't wait to hear how many babies you have in there!!

Lazuli, I'm so glad you are starting to feel better. Hope you get better and better and are all better for a nice weekend with your husband before he has to leave again.

Sheryl, Happy Birthday!! Do you have any special plans?

Jen, I'm glad your return to work wasn't so bad. When does your school year end?

3under3, that is so funny about putting Babywise in the science fiction section! I think I'll try that. And maybe in the True Crime section too.

Sarah, I hope your house hunt is quick, easy and successful. What kind of non-profit do you work for?

Lynsey, I can't wait to see the pics of your kiddos. Shutterfly is really easy to use, I have found.

Hey, would anybody be interested in a September mamas swap? I was thinking we could do one now, for the second trimester, and then one again in the third. We could do it lots of different ways. If people are interested I'll start another thread to talk about it.

Well, I ought to go try to get some sewing done while Noah is napping.

Happy day,

#145 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 03:41 PM

Hey chrissy!
What the heck do you mean by a september mamas swap? What would we be swapping?

Goota run before the boss sees me e-mailing!!!!
Anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#146 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 03:49 PM

oh man, anna, what a trick! i was thinking you were posting to tell us how many babies you have growing in there. :LOL

i guess i should've given more details. i was thinking we could do a maternity and/or baby stuff swap. we could put a dollar value on it, say $20 before shipping. then we could do it one of a few ways. either we could each put up a list of stuff we'd like (ex. pregnancy tea, stretch mark reducing lotion, maternity shorts, newborn cloth diapers, x, y and z brand....) or we could just do very vague lists (ex. i wear size Large, we won't be finding out the sex so all gender neutral clothing/stuff, we will be using cloth diapers, we love bright colors and hate pastels). does that make more sense?

#147 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 03:52 PM

So.. something like a "secret santa" exchange? sounds like fun!

Sorry to trick you... haven't left for my appointment yet. Te he heee
Anna

#148 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 03:54 PM

A swap sounds like fun! I would offer to swap diapers but I pretty much have larges and they are in use. I know I have some other things to swap.

Adventuregirl, I have been to Cincinnatti four times. Skyline chili is awesome! It is wierd to think of chili on top of spaghetti but it is good.

#149 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

The swap sounds fun, but what if we did it like a baby shower for each other??? I did an online baby shower with another due date board for my last preg and it was really fun. Especially to find out who got you and what everyone got.
#150 of 469 Old 04-13-2004, 06:35 PM

mmmmmmm Skyline chili yumyumyum!!! It's true, chili isn't really supposed to go on spaghetti, and I've found that Texans get downright snippy if you refer to Skyline chili as chili, but mmmm it's so good!!! Instead of being all tomato-ey like regular chili, it's got a sweeter taste to it because it's spiced with cocoa and cinnamon. I've been told that the spices are more Greek. It's more like a sauce than a chili you have to eat with a spoon; if you're in Cincinnati your choices are:

3-way: spaghetti, chili and cheese
4-way: spaghetti, chili, cheese and onions (fresh chopped, not sauteed)
5-way: spaghetti, chili, cheese, onions and beans

With oyster crackers over the top for good crunch.

OK, I'm done with Skyline chili talk but adventuregirl, if you're not going to eat yours, you just put it in the mail to me

Chrissy the idea is great, the Twin Cities mama list calls them mama fairy gifts or something like that. I should start making pregnancy tea... for a year before I conceived I drank a glass of red raspberry leaf / nettle leaf / red clover blossom tea every day and I am convinced that it did wonders for my cycles. I've gotten lax with making raspberry leaf / nettle leaf tea since getting pregnant, one because I threw up after a few sips of nettle leaf tea in my first trimester and two, because the fourth grade has my big mason jar that I usually make herb tea in!!

Our school year ends on the 2nd Friday in June and on the next day I drive up to Bemidji, MN for 3 weeks at camp - I think. I haven't gotten a contract yet and no e-mail from my dean, either, so I don't know what the deal is. But I think he knows I'd come work even if he paid me $100 for 3 weeks (I usually get around $600 a week) because the place is simply in my bones and not going would not only ruin my summer but my whole year.

Can't wait to hear about your u/s Anna!

I've got to get the brown rice cooking for dinner or we'll never eat on time...

hugs to all

j

ps: sprout says kick, kick, punch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page