It's April, Mamas!!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 469 Old 04-14-2004, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lynsey, what beautiful pix, and such a beautiful girl!

Anna, glad your u/s went well and you're expecting one little babe.

Sheryl, I thought of you this morning (re: another thread) when I told a co-worker I was pregnant and she said, "Congratulations! I can't wait till you start getting fat!":LOL I really dislike that word, especially now because I feel I'm getting bigger every place else except my tum---well, my uterus. My tum is actually doing quite fine with it's pudge.

Welcome Julia!!
#182 of 469 Old 04-14-2004, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized, we are REALLY chatty people. Check out how many posts we have compared to other months!
#183 of 469 Old 04-14-2004, 10:03 PM

Oh Lynsey, she is such a beauty! And that field of flowers is awfully pretty too.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#184 of 469 Old 04-14-2004, 11:10 PM

Miracle of Life was on Nova tonight... just blows my mind that I actually became pregnant and I am just so impressed that a woman agreed to let a TV crew film her giving birth and that people all over the nation watch her doing so!!!

Get this - Jo has developed a mild case of chickenpox from her chickenpox vaccine 2 weeks ago. Didn't know that I'd be tending to a case of chickenpox *before* Sprout got here! Do you know how difficult it is to get any information on how to care for someone who has chickenpox - especially an adult? Everything says GET A VACCINATION GET A VACCINATION! especially for adults... well duh, she had the vax and now she got the disease. She's only got 5 or 6 spots, but they are definitely chickenpox. She got the runaround from about 5 clinics today and the medline nurse "didn't know" whether she was contagious. Well duh! She's got fluid filled blisters! How can she not be? I thought the rule was that you're contagious until they crusted over or after 5 days, whichever came first. Her Dr. will call tomorrow. I told her she should have called Pediatrics, they would have had an answer!!!

I had a seriously spotty case of chickenpox as a child, so the midwife told me I had nothing to worry about. Phew.

Lynsey those pictures are really, really sweet!!

I'm going to start getting ready for bed to see if I can get a few hours in before the cat joins me!!!

xo, j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#185 of 469 Old 04-14-2004, 11:17 PM

Jen,

real fast before I get Paityn in bed I wanted to write and let you know that my Vaccine book says that chicken poxs infectious period is a few days before the rash until the last spot or blister has formed a scab. hope that helps some.
#186 of 469 Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 PM

Lynsey what a gorgeous picture! My friend lives in Texas and he had a picture of his daughter taken with BlueBonnets as well. They are beautiful flowers.

We definitely are the chatting bunch. Time for me to hit the hay!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#187 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 12:14 AM

thanks everyone for the sweet words about the pictures. I unfortunately cant take the credit for the photography or editing, as my friend did all that. My main talent is sending links

I love that we can all share pics with each other. more girls need to get thee to the yahoo group and create an album. so far only Caroline, Sarah, Linda and I have pics up over there. go on, go on...
#188 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 01:18 AM

Jen-
Give (((((hugs))))) to Jo for her chicken-pops.

Lynsey-
That is a great photo! Such cuties! None of my babies were bald, they have tons of hair(as does their mama!), but I've always secretly wanted a bald baby! My husband is blonde, so there's hope yet! The name Finn means "fair-haired courageous one"!

Ana-
Congrats on the US and relief of the sigleton. I was worried I was having twins, too, and though I hated to say it, I was indeed relieved it wasn't!

And welcome, newbies!

So tomorrow a.m (thursday) is my amnio. Please send me well-wishes that babe will stay put inside! Results on the Down's won't come back for a few days, I think.

Danielle
#189 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3under3

So tomorrow a.m (thursday) is my amnio. Please send me well-wishes that babe will stay put inside! Results on the Down's won't come back for a few days, I think.

Danielle
Good luck with the amnio today. Let us know how it goes!
#190 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 AM

Danielle, best of luck today! i'll be thinking of you and sending 'no harm to baby' vibes all day!!

#191 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 09:29 AM

I have not been able to read everyones posts...I have been gone too long!!

Anna, yay on the baby! Glad all is wel!

Hey, you North Carolina moms, I am from Mocksville, about half an hour out of Winston-Salem. I miss it so much down there...

I have been really sick. We can't seem to shake this thing naturally, so I broke down and went on antibiotics yesterday. I haven't taken that stuff in ages, but I can't take the sinus junk anymore. And I can't stop coughing, all night and all day. My muscles hurt from all the coughing. Hopefully this will work. So sorry to have been MIA....I will try to catch up...

Caroline
#192 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 10:41 AM

Lynsey- Your daughter is so cute!

My mom annoyed me last night. I made a comment about wanting cheese fries for dinner and how I haven't gained any weight. She Thinks I shouldn't be gaining any weight at all because I'm so heavy to begon with. (I get really tired of her saying I'm obese, considering I'm 5'8" and big boned. Yes, I'm a bit overweight, but I'm not obese.) She says she had GD with me and how horrible her weight gain was. (She went from 70, yes, I really did say 70 lbs. to 100lbs. and I was almost 10lbs when I was born.) I don't know, but a 30 lb. weight gain on someone who was severely underweight to begin with doesn't sound like a problem to me. :

My husband gets home tomorrow and I'm feeling better, yay! I think all the garlic helped. And now I'm going to go find me soemthing good to have for breakfast...at least i hope i can find something good.

Lazuli
#193 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 11:04 AM

Lots of love Danielle, i'll be thinking of you today.

Anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#194 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 12:06 PM

Danielle, I hope everything goes well today.

Lynsey, what a gorgeous picture!

Lazuli, I'm glad you are feeling better. Some people can be really insensitive when it comes to weight, I hope you had those cheese fries!

Caroline, hope you feel better!

Jen, I hope the pox leave your home ASAP! Well wishes to Jo.

Rachel, sorry about the puke! At least you were outside, I remember a while back someone here puked in the aisle at the grocery store.

We are very chatty, but I love it! I can't not post every day unless I'm totally away from my computer. Its great that we are getting to know each other so well!

My belly is growing, I feel like just this week I have expanded quite a bit. My friends are starting to say "oh, look at your belly!" its kinda cool, but I'm a little freaked over exactly how big I am going to get!

Happy almost Friday!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#195 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 12:59 PM

At 4am Christopher was having a coughing fit poor little guy. I sat in the recliner with him and DS #2 went on a kicking rampage. LOL! I did manage to fall asleep in the recliner until my DH woke me up at 6am this morning.

I can't decide if both of us have a cold or just hounded by allergies. Where's my garlic?

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#196 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 01:56 PM

I am done with the amnio, and so far, so good. It was so much easier this time (I had previous amnio to check for lung maturity at 36/37 weeks- long story) and nowhere near as uncomfortable. We will have the results tomorrow afternoon. There is a test called FISH that gives fast, accurate results for trisomy 21, 13, and 18, which are the three that are associated with Down's.
The perinatologist who did the amnio was so cool, and nowhere near the alarmist that the other perinatologist was...she said she personally doesn't put too much stock in the nasal bone marker if there are no other markers. (Hmmmm.....the other peronatologist was a man.....interesting....) But, since I didn't have the triple or quad screen, we don't know.
And the genetic counselor told me that the figure of 1:200 rate of miscarriage is global, and was figured in like 1977. She said the rate of miscarriage after amnio for their clinic was more like 1:400, and it is more of a realistic figure for the general population today.
So I'm optimistic, but either way, I'm blessed.
For today, I'm resting!

D.
#197 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 02:33 PM

Rest well Danielle, We are thinking of you today.
lots of hugs and kisses!
Anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#198 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 02:43 PM

Hey Chatty Cathies,

thanks for your encouraging words re: la puke. Luckily, we've had some April showers, so the evidence is washing away. I had my first U/S yesterday--what a trip! the best part was seeing the little perfect baby feet. Either I have a very big baby, or I'm due almost two weeks earlier (the tech guessed Sept. 3 instead of Sept. 15). does anyone know, does it matter if you are big people? I'm 5'9 and come from a tall family and Cameron is 6'--I realize that's just normal biggish, but could we then expect a bigger than average baby, even at this stage?

Jen--I haven't head of the line of toiletry products you mentioned but I'll keep my eyes open. I'm in the enviable position of having a father who makes and sells his own line of very good quality toiletries, including "mummy's tummi cream" (awesome stuff) and pure baby products. He ships them to me for free on request. He was an absentee father, though, so don't feel *too* envious.

Wishing you all a good day,

rachel
#199 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Good afternoon mamas

Had to take Jack to a new Ped this morning. Didn't want to switch but he just qualified for state program called "Children's Medical Services" for medically needy children. He has a genetic disorder that isn't serious but will have to be managed for about 12 more years. I am very sad to leave his current office, because they are so great and even have a classically trained homeopath and a craniosacral therapist on staff. But the good news is I don't have to pay for COBRA for him anymore - $400/month!!!!! I think I might still take him to the old office when he gets sick and pay out of pocket.

Well, Jack and I are off to look at houses. This is such an emotional process. It is hard not to get attached to houses and then lose them to someone else!

Rachel - glad you had a good u/s

Caroline - hope you feel better soon, I was starting to wonder where you were!

Danielle - blessings towards you and little one
#200 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 03:10 PM

danielle, i'm so glad things are looking so good! i will still be keeping you and your littlest one in my thoughs.

#201 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 03:48 PM

Jen - I had a look on the web for Calidou, because I had never heard of it either. It is at www.calidou.com. It looks like you can order online for the US. I don't know where it is carried in Canada though. It is a Quebec company, so I assume it is available in stores there. If I come across it I will let you know.

I had a midwife appointment this morning. She is great. I like her personally and being able to sit and chat for an hour is so comforting. We are opting for little to no testing, so we don't even get doppler, but things are going well and the uterus is in the right place for week 17 and 5 days.

I still have nausea most days, although nothing compared to what I had. Now it seems it's only when I brush my teeth. Odd! I have gotten out of the habit of exercising because I was so tired and sick, but with the nice sunny weather I want to get back outside.

Wishing you all sunshine filled days.

Cheers,
Julia
#202 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 04:13 PM

Danielle,
Im glad to hear everything went well today. Must be a relief to have the procedure over with and it sounds like you wont have to wait too long for the results.

Rachel,
How many weeks are you? Either about 18 or 20? Checking for the due date or size on a sono this late in pregnancy is very inaccurate. The best time for that is in the 1st trimester. You could have a bigger baby though since you and hubby are both tall people. Thats no big deal though... How much did yall weigh at birth?

My daughter always measured 2 weeks ahead and ended up being born 2 weeks early (spontaneously) and she was only 8 lbs 1 oz. I am 5' 8" and 110 prepregnancy. I was 6 lbs 11 oz at birth and my husband is 5'11" and was 7.5 lbs at birth.

And I was just wondering, not that it actually matters or anything, just curious...

Julia, have you been able to hear the heartbeat with a fetascope or are yall opting not to use that either? Curious since I will be 19 weeks at my next appt. and am really hoping we will be able to hear something.
#203 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 06:40 PM

Hi, everyone! I haven't posted in weeks but I did post yesterday on a different thread. I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know if you all remember this about me but my husband left about 2 months ago. He said he wasn't ready for "all of this", even though we both really wanted (or so I thought) to start a family now. Well, he wants to come back. I haven't decided, though. I really want my baby girl to have her father but I'm not ready to have him walk out on me again. He says he won't but I told him that he needed to go for some counseling for at least 6 months before I even consider letting him come back home. I'm soooo confused. Are any of you married to a musician? Are they all so selfish? Sorry, I don't mean to generalize.

Shannon,
It was great to see your post. I hope the best for you!

Danielle,
You and your family are also in my thoughts. As if pregnant women don't worry enough... I would have wanted the test, too, if that makes you feel any better.

Lazuli,
Why are mothers sometimes harder on their daughters than they are on everyone else? And 30lbs doesn't sound like much to me, either... I was underweight, too, when I got pregnant and my doctor said not to worry about gaining weight at all. This is your time as well as the baby's. My mom has given me grief about cloth diapering, not wanting drugs or an epi, among other things. It can be so frustrating!

Jen,
My mom acutally had the "What to Expect" book shipped to me last month. What a dissapointment. She tried but just doesn't understand. Was it you who got the peace sign during the u/s? That's awesome! I got a thumb's up during my u/s. The doc printed out the scan for me. I'm going to try an post a picture this week... of the scan.

Am I mistaken or did I see Chrissy's pic posted on another thread?

Well, I'll post later... thanks to everyone for listening.

Love,
Kim
#204 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 08:04 PM

kim - yup that was us who got a peace sign. Yay baby! I think you are reasonable expecting your husband to go through counseling, and think long and hard about whether *you* love him and want him back as a husband. He can still be involved in his daughter's life even if you two aren't married, but you have to be committed to him to stay together. If you aren't really in love with him, the marriage won't do anything good for your daughter.

Hope that's not too much advice!

Danielle - I'm glad your amnio went well. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow like I was today!!

Lazuli - eat cheese fries!! Can I have a chili dog with that please?!! We have a Chicago eatery down the street from us. I could eat their cheese fries til the cows come home... I personally, being someone who weighs more than the medical establishment believes I should, would have a hard time taking advice, much less criticism, from someone who weighed 70 pounds as an adult. From what I have read baby doesn't take nutrition from any of your stores, but what you eat daily. That means that *you* rely on your stores - which would explain why I personally have lost weight but have been gaining, if that makes any sense - my rings are loose, my watch, my clothing, but I gain weight "on the baby". I hope that you find understanding that can balance out your mom's attitude!

Julia - yes, I found Calidou online too, but I'd like to be able to locate it retail so I could try it or even just smell it before dropping such a large amount of money on it... they are expensive. Maybe someone will pluck it off of our registry for us...

Sarah - I hope that the change of doctor is worth it for you and Jack!

Caroline - hope you're feeling better soon. Sometimes you do what you've got to do to feel better. Healing vibes!

A few of Jo's spots are starting to crust over, but she is still confined at home tomorrow. She should be back to work on Monday.

WE'RE HALFWAY THROUGH TODAY! 20 weeks done!

Time for dinner!

xo, j

ps: Rachel: go on the assumption that you're measuring big... if you have your due date adjusted, you run more of a chance of your practitioner saying you're overdue and wanting to induce. So i've heard.

edited for a number of typos and omitted words - guess I really do need to eat.

#205 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 08:25 PM

hey ladies,

I am new. My name is Hillary and I am about 17 weeks due Sept 24. W e are very excited and plan to have the baby at home with our midwife, Valerie.

I have been reading Mothering magazine since before i was pregnant because I was so excited about having a fam and to find a publication that actaully supports healthy birthing, babies, and families is inspirational.

Right now I work as a caregiver for a 2 1/2 year old little girl. It is a great job to have while pregnant because I can eat when I want rest when I want and I definately take advantage of the two hour naps in the afternoon!!!

Her parents subscribe to Parenting magazine and I always read it because I am an avid reader and I like to be informed on how all sides are being educated. I am so disturbed sometimes by the things I read! There was just this big article on ELECTIVE C sections!!!! Auuugghhh and there were all these moms who were super defending how they had to talk there doctors into this.

I have been rereading Ina May Gaskins Spiritual Midwifery and her new Guide to Pregnancy (which I really recommend) and I am just so amazed at how different women's attitudes are based on who their caregivers are and what kind of environment they live in. At the end of her Guide Ina May gives a bunch of changes she thinks should happen and one of them was that every med student/intern going into obstetrics should have to dress a baby without making it cry. I thought that was pretty funny.

She also recommends that interns should have to take classes on normal births FROM MIDWIVES before they start learning about all the other problems and solutions. Could you imagine!!!

I would love it if ob/gyns had to see 15 homebirths where the mother was supported rather than given drugs.

....."and the world, would be a better place"

Nice to meet you all and I look forward to conversing.

love hillary
#206 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 09:12 PM

Welcome Hillary! We're due around the same time. This is your first too, yah?

Danielle-glad things went okay for you today. You're in my thoughts!

Kim-good to see you back!! I hope you find the answers you're looking for regarding your dh.

Those of you who are feeling icky, I hope it leaves you soon!!!
#207 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 09:40 PM

Hi Hillary, glad you could join us. I am 17 weeks pregnant now also, due 2 days before you!

Sounds like I have another book to find and read. The Guide to Childbirth sounds pretty interesting from what you said. Id love to see what else she recommends and I think having residents/interns take childbirth classes from midwives is a great idea! I wonder if it would change the way any of them think and practice?
#208 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 10:12 PM

Lynsey - Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is AWESOME. Highly recommended!!!!

j

#209 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 10:20 PM

Jen,

Yeah Ive heard several girls raving about the book but Ive been holding out because I was so unimpressed with Spiritual Midwifery. I will have to see if my midwife has the Guide for me to borrow next time.
#210 of 469 Old 04-15-2004, 11:57 PM

Spiritual Midwifery held a lot for me once I could get past the extreme hippie-ness of it and the fact that I probably won't experience my birth as psychedelic since I've never dropped acid in my life :LOL

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth has a lot more 'everyday' women in it and their birth stories.

Check it out of the library if you're not sure!

Bid on the co-sleeper finally - auction is over at 1 AM *yawn* so I'll find out in the AM if we won it or not...

j

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page