It's April, Mamas!!!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Morning!

Chrissy-I agree with Lynsey. You need to share where you're getting these great deals on cd. I so wanted to get some fluffy mail this month!!! I was stalking their website waiting for them to stock, and wouldn't you know it, by time I got home from school one day, they were sold out How do I get those darn things???? Do you have any other diaper recommendations????

Lazuli-hope your hubby gets home soon and you can put a smile on your face!

I'm currently reading Spiritual Midwifery. I've read her new one and I do enjoy reading all of the birth stories.

Jodie-Isn't The Baby Catcher hard to put down??? I think I read that one in two days and I look forward to reading it again soon!

Jen-enjoy your henna shower today. We look forward to hearing about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 12:36 PM

I tye-dyed some prefolds yesterday. They look really great. They didn't turn out like the pattern in the pictures I was going for, but hey, they're nice anyway. My kids love them,I love them. I also did shirts for the kids too. They're thrilled about that!

Last night I pulled a muscle or something in my hip (sitting down wrong can you believe). I'm in pain. It hurts to move around, it hurts to be still. Yuck.

I hope everyone is doing well today.
#243 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 12:37 PM

Chrissy, what cute dipes!!! I guess I'll have to check the TP more often.

Lynsey, was it you who said you ordered from Velour Kids(is that even the name?)????
#244 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 02:15 PM

Chrissy-

Cute dipes!
I took pictures of my diaper stash yesterday, I don't know why! They're just so cute to look at, I guess!
I'll post pics later.
I stalked Fluffymail all day Thursday, and wouldn't you know it, the second I got up from my computer for five minutes, they stocked, and were all snatched up within minutes! I really want some Little Caboose and First Class Babys. Oh well.
#245 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 03:14 PM

All this talk of diapers is freaking me out! i have not bought anything for the baby besides a little clothes. My older sister has promised me more baby stuff than I can shake a stick at, however it isn't at my house yet! I should can her this weekend and discuss when i can get it. We were waiting to buy anything untill we knew how many babies we are having. Well now we know and we need to start planning.

I am still interested in finding a midwife, but worried about paying out of pocket. I keep not doing anything about it. We'll see how my next appointment with my doctor goes (next week) we will be getting more info about the u/s and i am planning on discussing my birth plan/ philosophy with her then. so, if she gives us bad vibes then, that should jump start my ambition to look for other options.

hungrily your
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#246 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 03:16 PM

You guys I want some fluffymail too, but I dont think its ever going to happen for me!!! I am such a moron I didnt even know they were stocking that day until I read about it on the Diapering Forum.

Greenbeing, yes I ordered a lot of stuff from Valor-Kids during their sale. Shipping was EXPENSIVE though so its a good thing I got a good deal on everything else. I still havent gotten the package yet. They might still have some stuff for good prices - I got unbleached prefolds, snappis, a cover, eucalin (sp?) and maybe more but cant remember right now.

The tie dyed prefolds sound neat. I might have to try that!

Danielle, I cant wait to see pics of your stash!
#247 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 05:53 PM

jen, i hope you're having lots of fun at the henna shower. i can't wait to see pictures!

i've gone kind of nuts with little diapers lately. i just can't seem to get enough!

danielle, i laughed when i read your post because i have this intense desire to take pictures of my diapers too! i cannot for the life of me figure out why but i guess i should just give in and do it, huh?

wardermom, that does sound so fun! i bought some good dye and want to do some of my prefolds and some shirts, but i am kind of scared i'll screw them all up. you have given me courage though, that even if they don't turn out like the picture they will still be pretty!

my late lunch is here!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#248 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 06:10 PM

Melanie - are Liam and Mika really only 2 months apart?

Ok all of you, you have to tell me what fluffy mail is about.

Anna, don't worry about being up to your ears in stuff yet.. but do consider that when it's August, you're as big as a house and hot hot hot, you might not want to be shopping for baby - that's what I've been told, at least. But I did see a couple at target yesterday registering for baby stuff and she was reeeeeeal big. Do it at your own pace! I've only got diaper covers because I found some real deals on eBay, and I've only got some clothing because we happened to drive by a garage sale and cleaned up.

OK, I've got to move into rare psycho Jen mode and iron my shirt for the shower... me ironing, that's pretty unheard of...

jen the hausfrau :LOL

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#249 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 08:39 PM

Jen,
www.fluffymail.com is an online diaper store that sells the cutest diapers and covers. they are very popular and practically impossible to get. check out the gallery!
#250 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 09:16 PM

Anna,

dont worry about having stuff for the baby yet. we still have plenty of time. I just like to shop, thats why Im already stocking up. plus, diapers are really the only thing that we need more of. Having 2 other kids, I pretty much already have all the basics. Diapers are just the one thing I am "splurging" on this time.

I did buy a little baby boy outfit today though. Do yall think that with Sept. babies we can still put them in short sleeves? I am in TX but am not sure as Ive only had late winter babies before. Hmmm...

Chrissy, take a pic of your dipes! I would love to see what you have!
#251 of 469 Old 04-17-2004, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I feel tired and fat and so not glowing today. Experienced moms - do you ever get to the point where you get over the fact that your work is NEVER done? Its still so weird to be the person who is responsible for almost everything. Please someone tell me that having two isn't really as hard as it seems right now.

Jen - don't you wonder how they now that asparagus passes to the amniotic fluid? Can't you seem some guys in white lab coats sipping out of little flasks!!?? :

Spritual Midwifery cracks me up, but I love anything with natural birth stories. It's hard for me to get past the use of the word "laaaaadies" always conjures up some greasy 80's guy with a stache. I really enjoyed Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. I was so excited to have a new childbirth book I was interested in come out for this pregnancy. I real ALL the good ones last time and felt a little lacking this time.

Time to go put my little hassenfus to bed. (how do I really spell that Jen? I'm trying to say mama's boy) Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
#252 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 02:02 AM

Henna shower was cool! Got one on my belly and one on my hand. Don't know how you're going to get to see either of them considering Jo informs me that she has no access to a digital camera at work anymore. My having the guts to have one done around my navel gave my friend (the honored pregnant mama) to have one done on hers too - a very intricate one that got a lot bigger than she expected. The hostess, who is a friend of my friend, is also a henna artist who has learned from Moroccan henna artists - her husband is Moroccan and she had incredible henna art done for her wedding in Morocco (they married in Wisconsin and in Morocco). Now she's trying to start a little sideline of her own. I'm thinking of passing on her card to my friend who's organizing my shower in the summer. It'd be fun to do this again. She was willing to do as many pieces of work as you wanted.

Sarah: Hasenfuss? Does that mean mama's boy? I've never heard that. It means (literally) rabbit's foot. And I don't want to think about men in white lab coats sipping amniotic fluid out of test tubes... eeeeeeeeew!

Sprout woke up with the hennaing and hasn't gone back to sleep. I've been watching barrel rolls at the top of my uterus. Pretty cool.

night all,

Jen (how are you all going to get to see pics of my belly...? Maybe I'll go buy a roll of 12 exposures...)

edited for a late-night typo.

#253 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 01:00 PM

Jen- Liam and Mika are 2 years apart. Maybe I need to change my signature . I'm glad you had fun at the henna party. I'm sure your hand and belly look great! It would be fun to see.
Our kids broke our digital camera (at least I'm pretty sure I know who it was.) Christmas and birthdays are going by without pictures to record the events. Ahhh.

I envy all of the baby purchased you ladies are making-especially the beautiful fancy diapers and covers. Our budget is not going to allow it. I have to make due with what I have. I hate financial problems.
#254 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 01:03 PM

Thanks Jen, I hadn't noticed that mistake in my signature. I think it's corrected now.
#255 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 02:47 PM

Anna, do you mean a homebirth midwife? Have you checked your insurance yet? More and more companies are covering this option. I've even heard of women petitioning their insurance companies to cover it, and succeeding.

If insurance absolutely won't cover it, you might be able to find a midwife who will work out some sort of deal with you. The midwife who attended my second birth did trade and payment plans.

Sistermama, the first time around, with just one baby, was way harder for me than the second time around, with baby and toddler, because I was kind of broken in by then. I knew what to expect and how to prepare, so it wasn't a shock to my psyche. So I wouldn't worry, you'll be fine.

I don't care for Ina May's style of midwifing (as portrayed in Spiritual Midwifery) but I sure love reading about that hippie culture. It's funny in some ways (and therefore entertaining) but in others deeply touching and inspiring. After inundating myself with birth education material for two years, it was the only thing I wanted to read at the end of third pregnancy. It has staying power.

Well, yesterday I spent a truly wonderful day with two good mama friends, one of whom is a midwife. (Pamamidwife to be exact ) It was so uplifting to be around some positive female energy. We talked a lot about birth, Pam felt for my fundus and came up with an age of gestation that is pretty close to what I was thinking, and we tried to find the heartbeat with the fetascope but it's still too early. And we watched videos! There were a bunch of scary ones with women on their backs and paid attendants with their hands all over them, stretching their perineums, pulling on the baby, ugh. But there were a few really beautiful ones, one is Birth Day (which you can read a little blurb about here: http://www.ucbirth.com/books.htm), I really recommend it. The other was an old Bradley video which is out of print, all the births took place in a hospital, but the mothers were in a deep squat with perineum almost touching the ground (usually supported in some way) and the babies were born without anyone touching the mother or in most cases, even the baby. Once in a while the doctor would support the babies head with one hand, just until it slid onto the ground. Then all hands were off until the mother picked up the baby. It was incredible the difference between the two kinds of births, how much more gentle and non-crisis-like and how the mother's focus was never on anything other than the baby, unlike when the attendant delivers and then hands the baby to mother. It was really edifying to see. I wish all professional birth attendants could watch this video!
#256 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 03:01 PM

Anna,

We are having to pay out of pocket for my midwife. She charges $2600, which is average for homebirths MWs around here. She will let you pay it out way after the birth if necessary. I bet you can find a MW in your area that will let you do that. Or maybe someone will barter with you? Or you can borrow money from family? I think it would really be worth it...

Sarah,

I am still not to the point where I am okay with the fact that my work is never done! However, it wasnt hard for me to make the transistion from 1 kid to 2 since my 1st was always extremely high needs and my 2nd has always been very mellow. I AM nervous about having a 3rd though, just because I dont know how Paityn will react to having me give another baby lots of attention. Also, Im worried about mornings and bedtimes.

Jen,

Can you take pics with a reg. camera then when you get them developed get a CD so you can upload them? I would love to see your henna art. Thats really neat.
#257 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 03:05 PM

Oops, blueviolets post appeared when I was writing my other one. Sorry I think I might have said the same thing you did... I wasnt trying to copy you

Thats so cool that you are friends with Pam. I emailed with her a bit when I was trying to figure out what to do about the Fifths disease thing. She seems very nice.

My midwife let me borrow that movie, Birth Day. I have to return it next week so I can get a different one. My kids both watched it and Riley asked if all babies are born in water. I would like to see that Bradley video.

I guess this is a stupid ? but have you read Unassisted Childbirth by L. S.? What did you think of it? Im going to start reading it when I get a chance!
#258 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Just to second and third what some have already said, Anna, it is quite possible your insurance will cover a homebirth midwife. Mine is covering mine as an out of network provider, so I think they will cover 70% minus a $500 deductible. Also, even though your insurance "covers" a hospital birth it will probably end up costing a lot more than just your deductible. With mine it did. All the interventions they use end up costing a lot. They even charged me extra because my labor took longer than 12 hours, or something like that!!! One last thing, if you are really wanting a homebirth the cost will surely be worth it. I am still struggling with issues relating to the intervention-full (none of which I had intended/planned) birth of my son almost 2 1/2 years ago.

Okay, tirade over! I hope I didn't come off as a bossy know it all.

More from me later,

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#259 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Can you believe that in this crazy Bush state of Florida it is required that all insurance providers and Medicaid cover 100% of homebirth??? Of course we have a former democratic govenor to thank for that!

We went to the water park this morning and had a fun, relaxing time. Jack was way into it today and had a blast.

I watched Birth Stories on Oxygen yesterday. Has anyone ever seen those? They seem to have much more of a focus on "alternative" births. Jack and my friend's 3 year old were watching with us and the 3 yr old was totally fascinated - he's also very interested in my growing belly. He watched very closely (they show just about everything) and then said, "I don't like that baby, too dirty."
#260 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 08:35 PM

Well, just a few weeks ago there were snowflakes, today there are tornadoes. Thankfully they're staying fairly far away from us right now, but it is 87, windy and humid outside. As always... if you don't like the weather in Minnesota, wait a day.

A family was expelled from our school as of Friday. Rightfully so... they tried to exert leverage with the school by not paying their tuition, and have been calling the church where we currently rent space as well as the one where we'd like to expand out into next year and saying false, toxic things (we teach paganism? We're a liability because we don't take care of the students in our charge?). Unfortunately it also may mean a loss of some income for me next year, as they had asked me to teach their kids German next year when they homeschool, but because I'm still a member of the faculty despite being on leave, I believe it will constitute a frank conflict of interest...

However, because our fifth grade may dissolve before it becomes a sixth grade (they are losing 4 students, bringing the size of the class down to 5), I may have a group of 5 to teach privately. Which will be delightful; they're super kids - except that the school won't have a 6th grade.

I'm off to find some water...

thirsty jen

#261 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 PM

Jen,
The henna shower sounded fun! I went to the Mama Gathering fundraiser Friday Night at Sovereign Grounds, and it was fun.

Sistermama,
As a mama of 3 that were born in less than 3 years, I long ago had to accept that my work is never done. Never. Once I accepted it, life seemed better. Every three weeks or so, I have a mama meltdown where I feel like my house and kids are falling apart, but I know that when that happens, I just need to take an afternoon and have a long nap. Sounds stupid, corny, and trivial, but it really helps me! I just tend to get overtired after about 3 weeks. Then I feel refreshed with a better outlook, and have more energy to get stuff done. It's also nice that I have a part time weekend job. We need the extra money, but it is a really big part of socializing for me.

Well, here's my NB diaper stash pictures, thus far! These pics include fitteds, a couple AIO's, and some coveres. I need about 15 more fitteds. Brands in there include Sugar Peas, Sugarpeas snap-ins, Kindhearted Women, Toot Sweet, Kissaluvs, 7th Heaven Babies, Righteous Babies, and Bumkins. I have some Fireflies, Fuzbombs, Lucy's Hope Chest, HolysheepYarns, and Sellin' Threads on their way!

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b377fcfac49f
#262 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 11:27 PM

Sistermama, my 7-year-old son and I watched Nova's The Miracle of Life this morning, and he was fascinated. He kept saying "that's interesting." The only thing he couldn't figure out was how the sperm and egg got together if one was in the man's body and the other in the woman's body. :LOL So I had to give him a quick run-down on the mechanics of it. I love watching birth videos with my kids -- their reaction is so refreshing, they aren't weirded out or grossed out or embarrassed or anything like that. It hasn't been conditioned into them yet to be so.

3under3, nice stash! I only have prefolds and polartec covers. I'm so boring!
#263 of 469 Old 04-18-2004, 11:58 PM

3under3 you have quite the diaper stash there. I am working on getting my stash together since all I have is mediums and larges since I started CDing Christopher at 9 months.

So far I have 4 Bummis Super Snap Wraps, 2 Mollytog AIOs, 3 AIOs made by CatherineBennett, and 1 infant prefold that is dyed maroon. I also have 3 Gerber newborn EZ care covers.

I still need to pick up 2 dozen infant prefolds, 6 small Happy Heinys, 4 proraps classic covers, and 4 snappis.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#264 of 469 Old 04-19-2004, 12:13 AM

My heavens you all have major diaper stashes!

Danielle I read about the evening at SG too late to go - read about it at about 9 PM. I'm glad it was fun!! SG is about a mile away from my house. I really ought to go there more often!!

No tornado for us, but water dripping into our leaky basement not much we can do about it right now, it's limestone and everything just leaches in. Just crank up the dehumidifier and hope for the best...

night all - I go to the chiropractor tomorrow and hope it's good. This week our school is forced out of our building (church we rent from holds a rummage sale and spends the whole week setting up... in our classrooms) and I have minimal responsibilities, but a big field trip with the 3rd graders on Thursday, out to eat, everything in German. Scary stuff.

j

#265 of 469 Old 04-19-2004, 12:29 AM

Hello Mamas!

I've missed so much in just a few days! I'll have to check out all the links and belly pics on the other thread. I did see Chrissy's. Nice belly at 15 weeks!!

We are back in the USA! Had a little culture shock at the airport seeing the complete chaos of customs (an awful lot like what we just left in Dar es Salaam) and some very nasty travellers, including my FIL who yelled at no fewer than 5 strangers and continually yelled at my MIL. Lovely person. We met the in-laws in the Netherlands for 4 days.

My belly popped out almost overnight at 17 weeks and 3 days. Just in time for my MIL to bring me some maternity pants! Now I'm at 19 weeks today. I also have felt a lot of movement during the last week. Is anyone else experiencing a rock hard uterus several times per day? Are these the Braxton Hicks contractions? It just seems to squeeze for a few minutes every hour or so. If I touch/massage my uterus it goes away. Strange. I can't wait to have a midwife for my questions!

We purchased our first major baby item: a bicycle seat that attaches to the handlebars so baby has a good view. I've never seen them in the US, but they were pretty standard in the Netherlands. We also signed up for a registry at earthbaby.com (nice site for diapers and other stuff) for a shower that my friends are giving me. A few friends are trying to talk me out of CDing, but they will not succeed! I'm going for Imse Vimse's bumpies after reading a lot of reviews. They also seem to be less expensive than others. I'll have to check out the fluffysomthing site that everyone is raving about.

If I can just stay awake for two more hours...jet lag.

Bye for now,

Steph
#266 of 469 Old 04-19-2004, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Steph - glad you made it back! Is that the bobike seat you're talking about? For mamas not familiar with it, it attaches between you and the handlebars. We have one and Jack absolutely loves it. I had to make a couple of adjustments to it to get it to fit on my bike (since European ones must be built a little different). I enjoy it too, because it is so nice to be able to talk to ds instead of having him stare at my butt the whole time! :LOL Plus he gets to rest his hands on the handlebars and pretend that he is steering. The only thing about it is that it gets me weird looks since people have never seen one and I think sometimes assume that I am letting him sit on the bar or something.

I'm going to look at some houses this afternoon, so if I see any I like I'll post the links.
#267 of 469 Old 04-19-2004, 11:54 AM

Yay welcome back Steph!

Those probably are Braxton-Hicks contractions, I've found that drinking a lot of water lessens them (I read somewhere: lots of water = happy uterus). I had a lot of them on vacation for some reason.

Why is my cat making little complaining noises at me?

jen

#268 of 469 Old 04-19-2004, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I got my tax refund! I got my tax refund!
Those evil student loan people didn't get their hands on it!!!!

BTW - you are so cute Anna. I just saw your pics.
#269 of 469 Old 04-19-2004, 12:28 PM

Sarah GOOD LUCK HOUSE HUNTING!! What a tedious job I hope you have a good time of it. I was lucky to meet Jo *after* she had found the house!

j

#270 of 469 Old 04-19-2004, 12:30 PM

Hey everyone!

What a stormy weekend we had! It was kinda exciting though, the wind whipping in the trees, honest to goodness lightning and rain. There's something so invigorating about a spring storm!

went bra shopping this weekend, definitely a DD. Wish I could share with others! I swear, when i first put the new bra on at home my first reaction was to say that each of my breasts are as big as my head! O.K. so not really, but we're getting close....

Those diaper pictures are so cute, i never thought i would have diaper envy, but i guess i do. Can't wait till my mom comes to stay with me for a week next month. She says she will help me sew some maternity clothes and diapers too. I'll probably splurge on a few diaper covers..... what a silly thing to be excited about...Diapers!

Gotta run, work is calling!
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page