Vbac? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-04-2004, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if I am the only one having a VBAC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 04-06-2004, 12:23 PM

Hi! I'm new here, but wanted to join you with the VBAC thing! I had no intention to have Emma at a hospital at all, much less via c-section. She was breech and we couldn't turn her at all, so after much prayer we did the c-section thing.

Now, I am pregnant again and planning a homebirth. Baby is due late September, dates range from the 22nd to the 26th.
#3 of 16 Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! I thought I was the only one! You must start posting more - please?

My son was cesarean born because of breech presentation also. We dont know why he had been in that position for so long though because there werent any cord or placental issues...but he refused to turn, so here I am.

I having a homebirth also and I cant wait. My due date is the 22nd. Are you on the ICAN list?
#4 of 16 Old 04-06-2004, 03:59 PM

Hi!

I thought I joined the ICAN list, but all I get are e-newsletters. Do you know what I need to join?
#5 of 16 Old 04-06-2004, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

I think you need to rejoin. The list moved to yahoo, so just go to yahoo groups and type in ICAN-Online. It usually takes a few days to start getting list mail though, so dont worry if that happens.

Hope that helps.
#6 of 16 Old 04-16-2004, 04:55 PM

I'm planning a vbac too! My son was breech and I had a section after my water broke at 38 weeks and 1 day. My doctor (and I think a lot of Canadian doctors) are quite supportive of vbacs, so it is not any kind of issue. My doctor says especially since Isaiah was only sectioned due to the breech, I should have no problems having a vaginal delivery this time!

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

#7 of 16 Old 04-16-2004, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Laurie,

Thanks for writing! Thats amazing to me about your OB. WHen I was pregnant with my daughter I was told "you might not even go into labor and if you do you proably wont progress". It was as if he thought that just because I have a scar on my uterus that renders my body completely defective.

Sad thing is, thats the way most OBs around here think. You are a lucky girl!
#8 of 16 Old 04-20-2004, 02:21 PM

That's a sad attitude for your doctor to have had. You'd think he'd recognize that vbac's are growing more common and most of the women go into labour on their own! I feel very lucky in how easy it is for me to access a vbac, even with an ob rather than a midwife!

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

#9 of 16 Old 04-20-2004, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

In the USA it is not growing more common. More and more hospitals and OBs are banning VBACs now out of fear that they will be sued if a rupture occurs. Strangely enough, many Drs will still use pitocin on a VBAC mom if she is adament enough about no scheduling a repeat, even though it has been shown to increase the risk of rupture.

The hospital that is in my town no longer "allows" VBACs anymore and most women dont even bother driving to a bigger city to give birth, they just schedule. It is completely disgusting as far as Im concerned.
#10 of 16 Old 05-11-2004, 05:50 PM

I'm going VBAC too. I was sectioned due to failure to progress & worstening pre-e.

My hospital "allows" VBACS, but I have to go through a screening process first. They use pitocin on VBACS, because they say they can control it. I'm not comfortable with that, so no pit will be part of my birth plan.
#11 of 16 Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 PM

I will attempt a VBAC at home as well. Also due in Sept. First dd turned double footling breech 4 days before due date.

I am in New Zealand....and I don't really know the climate for VBAC's here-as I just moved here from the States. However, about 40% of the midwives in my area will do a VBAC at home. I know that the MD's prefer to have you in the hospital for a VBAC-but I believe they are supportive. The situation in parts of the U.S. is appalling. It is so sad.

I am grateful for this thread...and getting to know other moms in my situation. I am excited to attempt a home birth, but the backlash from family has been harsh.(I am not surprised) My mom works in a labor and delivery unit in Los Angeles...and think she knows everything about birth, including homebirth : I am considering just telling her that I will have the midwife deliver me in hospital...which she thinks is safer and guarantees a good outcome. *sigh* She is supportive of a VBAC in the hospital.

So, I am hoping we can find the support here that some of us can't find elsewhere.

I hope everyone is doing well with their pregnancy!
#12 of 16 Old 05-12-2004, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Pixi!

Pixi, What is the screening process for VBACs? That sounds scary! Would make me a nervous wreck! It always surprises me that Drs will use pitocin on a VBAC even when they arent very VBAC supportive in the 1st place. Weird...
#13 of 16 Old 05-12-2004, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you could join us LPS! Yay, another HBACer!

Man, that would be hard to be planning a HBAC with a mom whos a L&D nurse! My moms not supportive of my plans either. She wont even talk about the pregnancy, birth or BABY with me this time. If she knows I have a midwife appt. she will ask how it went but thats all. She says "what did your....not your Dr., but your..." meaning she will not say MIDWIFE or my midwifes name. Its so stupid.

Anyways, please continue to post and introduce yourself on the main Sept. thread!
#14 of 16 Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just wondering if any of the vbac/hbac moms have had their babies yet? Would love to read some more birth stories!
#15 of 16 Old 09-25-2004, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2baldie
Hi Pixi!

Pixi, What is the screening process for VBACs? That sounds scary! Would make me a nervous wreck! It always surprises me that Drs will use pitocin on a VBAC even when they arent very VBAC supportive in the 1st place. Weird...
They had to know why I had a c-section, & look at the operative reports for what kind of incision was done (low transverse).

So, I've been deemed a canidate for VBAC & I'm just waiting now for labor to start.
#16 of 16 Old 09-26-2004, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my HBAC!! I haven't written my birth story yet (maybe I should work on it tonight - I tend to think about what to write when I'm in bed and then can't write it down!). Iain is now 3 weeks old - I can't believe how the time has flown!

Anyway, it was quite an experience! Incredibly difficult, but I would never do it any other way. I am so glad I did it! I also know that if I'd gone to a hospital, it would've been another c/s - it took a LONG time, and there's no way they would've been patient enough. The baby looked great the whole time, though, so we knew we were alright to continue until he was ready to finally come out.

All the best to those still waiting! I can't wait to hear your birth stories!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page