baby gear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-14-2004, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know much about baby joggers???

My dh wants to get a Chariot? which converts to a bike trailer. I'm thinking the BOB.

Do you know about these????

Thanks,
Meredith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 AM

Anyone I have met who has one says the Chariot is fantastic. It's what we are planning to get, and with the infant kit it will be the only stroller we use. Both DH and I are very active and being able to get out and about easily in the winter is important to us too. I've heard nothing beats it for travelling on snowy sidewalks, or even uneven mall floors for that matter.
#3 of 25 Old 04-14-2004, 11:52 AM

We have a Kelty Kids jogger and it is great! It folds up really easily, is very lightweight and easy to handle. It doesn't convert to a bike trailer though.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#4 of 25 Old 04-14-2004, 05:49 PM

I just happened to get an email from this website today about their big jogger/trailer sale. You might want to check it out.
baby catalog
#5 of 25 Old 04-15-2004, 12:13 AM

Phew those are expensive - are they worth it? I'd like to be able to inline skate with sprout, maybe then I could keep up with Steph running

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#6 of 25 Old 04-15-2004, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

They are kinda pricey, eh? Maybe that's why it's such a tough decision. If I'm going to fork over that kind of money, it's gotta last. With the one that can be used as a jogger and bike trailer, you have to buy the extra parts and I'm wondering if it will be a hassle. BUT, if we got that one, we wouldn't have to get a trailer later on. Plus, it can be used to seat 2 children or 1. The only thing I don't like is that it seems so closed in. I don't like the side panels for when baby is in the jogger.
I think we're going to go look at them this weekend. For some reason, dh wants to know soon which one to get.
#7 of 25 Old 04-15-2004, 11:02 AM

my husband got all into picking out the jogging stroller too. he just likes "gear" i think.

we really like our kelty. it was expensive but i think it was worth it. it is great for long walks on the road or a trail, or the beach. it is also really easy to jog with.

definitely try them out locally but then search a bunch on the net. we found better prices there.

#8 of 25 Old 04-21-2004, 12:44 AM

I checked out the baby jogger and BOB yesterday...

Babyjogger is one the tall side, but I think there are different versions. I like the Babyjogger 2 with 16 inch wheels. I read in the manual that it says NO NO NO to inline skating, but I'm not sure why. Sorry Jen!

The BOB is recommended in Runners' World as the best for serious runners. Since I am super slow, I think the Baby Jogger will work just as well.

Otherwise, I've read that it is better not to get rotating front wheels if you really plan to jog. If you are short like me, there are only a few choices out there. Check them out; weight is also a major issue.

Also, one one site it listed the recommended age for first use. Most say 6 months, which seems like forever to me. There is one that is much much earlier...let me see if I can find that site...http://www.joggingstrollersforbaby.com/pages/chart.html

That's not exactly the one I was thinking of...but it has a comparison chart. Looks like most there are saying 6 weeks!

ok, that's all my info.

steph
#9 of 25 Old 04-21-2004, 07:34 AM

Oh, I can tell you why it says NO NO NO to inline skating with a stroller: there is more of a chance of getting out of control on 8 wheels than on 2 feet. You also go faster, and hanging onto a stroller can change your balance. There is also NO NO NO to skating with a dog.

This of course assumes that the inline skater has not prepared to skate with a stroller, nor have they taken lessons in speed control, stopping and dealing with various road conditions.

My inline skate coach had no reservations. But she taught me herself!

I plan to practice with an empty stroller. Throw a couple of sacks of flour in there

Maybe I'll find it's too exhausting but how else am I going to keep up with Steph?!! Btw, Steph, 6 months old is March/April, you're not going to be running around any lakes before then in MN anyway. And are you going to feel like going jogging in Mid-October after you've just spent 6 weeks recuperating from giving birth? (I don't know - maybe you are - but many midwives and doulas and experienced moms I have met really recommend a minimum of 40 days of near-complete rest to get back up to speed as quickly as possible. Over-exertion in the first few weeks can lead to major exhaustion... experienced mamas, input?)

Sarah and Steph, tell me about the Bobike and where you got it.

j

#10 of 25 Old 04-21-2004, 11:05 AM

Bobike mini

How cute is that seat? I'll have John take a picture of me and Jack on the bike. He loves it and looks so adorable. I got mine on ebay, I don't know how often it comes up on there, but you could save a search for it now and hopefully find one at a good price.
#11 of 25 Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 PM

Ooooo, gear!

The bobike looks so cute!

Meredith, we discovered the Chariot thru some friends who have it for their ds and they love it (btw, he is 6 months and they've been using it for months, an extra option is the infant "sling"). We were both sold immediately due the the versatility, not only can you convert it to a bike trailer, but you can detach the wheels and put on skiis and a harness that attaches to you for cross country skiing or snowshoeing. It appeared to me that the enclosure was removeable, but I didn't mess around with it to find out.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#12 of 25 Old 04-22-2004, 04:46 PM

Hmmm, this Chariot is sounding good. Must check it out.

Ok, I am forgeting how cold MN is. I bet it is still cold there now.

Jen, I am really bad about overexerting because I just can't bear the thought of sitting around, but I will try. I should have learned my lesson with the wisdom teeth experience: the day after surgery I went out and played frisbee, running around, didn't heal for two months and was on major meds after holes didn't heal. Need to remember that experience!!!

Sarah, do post that photo of you with Jack in the Bobike, y'all have got to see how great it looks to be a kid in that seat!

Steph
#13 of 25 Old 04-23-2004, 11:46 AM

Actually it's gorgeous in MN right now, now that the rains have come through (desperately needed): it's been around 60 and sunny yesterday and today and I see people rollerblading around Lake Calhoun and get very, very sad. I'm sure I'd be ok if I took it slowly but I can just imagine how guilty I'd feel if I did fall so I'm not going to take the chance *sigh* spring came fairly early this year and decided to stay.

Steph shall I tie you to your chair so that you don't overexert yourself!? I know it's hard to not be active when you're used to it but I've been told that you really have to baby yourself and the baby after it comes so that when you are ready to pick up speed, you really don't wear yourself out. I overexerted myself too soon after having mono and had lasting health repercussions for a whole year.

The bobike is CUTE i think we'll have to look into that. I've seen people using something like that when I was in Amsterdam.

*wave*

j

#14 of 25 Old 05-04-2004, 05:14 PM

Check out this site:

http://www.joggingstroller.com

It has a listing of all joggers available, with side by side comparisons and reviews. A definite resource before you buy.

We have a Kelty Deuce Coupe and I love it. The only drawback is that it's a bit too tall for me (I'm 5'2".) I wish the handlebar was adjustable.

-susan
#15 of 25 Old 07-01-2004, 06:49 PM

I'm trying to register for a baby shower and am freaking out!!! Car seats??? Holy c!@# is there alot of info out there!!! Please share with me your wisdom and research!

Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#16 of 25 Old 07-01-2004, 07:40 PM

Anna-

Okay deep breath!! In... out... in... out... :LOL :LOL

Okay here's a great source about carseats. It's over at Parentsplace but the ladies there are HIGHLY knowledgeable. http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppcarseats They have a couple really good FAQs at the top. I don't see it but there is a link (somewhere on there) were they have a chart on whether or not certain models of carseats with fit into certain cars. BRUs is a good place to "try out" seats too. They usually have a "pretty" good selection of various brands and they will let you take the floor model out to your car and try it out. Can make a big difference of whether of not you can use that seat.

I'm a Britax fan. I just love their safety record and they are really nice. (Definitely shop around for $$ there is no reason to pay full price on a carseat!)

You really want to get an infant seat and then more the baby into a convertible seat at 4-6 months (depending on child's size). Even though the covertible seats SAY they are for newborn and up... all the manufacturerers really recommend getting the infant seat. It's made specifically for their small size.

I'm a little bit of a carseat militant. I know the cost can seem overwhelming having to buy 2 seats but I just don't think that safety is something you should cut corners on. Drives me insane to see small children in cars without booster seats or carseats. I fully plan on keeping Tori in some kind of seat for a long time. The seat in a vehicle is designed for an adult not a child, I want her protected as much as possible.

I know we talking about carseats on one of the threads not that long ago.
#17 of 25 Old 07-01-2004, 07:48 PM

I seem to recall that Graco's were rated pretty well for rear facing infant type seats.... i just know there's a ton of options and i don't really want to do the research!!!!
I am planning on registering for a Britax.... maybe someone else will cough up the big bucks for one!!! But i know I NEED a rear facing one for at least the first 6 months... if not longer, right?

So, i went to an online Britax site and was confused by having lots of options there too! Jeez! Can i pick one based on fabric or is that just plain silly???

Man, I wish i hadn't put this off! Now i have less than a week to choose!

Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#18 of 25 Old 07-01-2004, 08:25 PM

You want the seat to face rear for AT LEAST one year and 20 pounds. The baby's body (muscles and tendons) isn't strong enough under a year to handle the impact from forward facing.

Quote:
Can i pick one based on fabric or is that just plain silly???
:LOL :LOL Which fabric one do you like? I'm going to order new covers for the RAs. I love the

Honestly you can't go wrong with a Britax. I love the RoundAbout. Both Tori and Jack have them (matching in fact, okay just a little bit of a freak there... ) I'm hoping to get a Marathon (possibly a Husky but those things are HUGE!) to move Tori into. Then Radish will get her "old" RA when he's done with the infant seat. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Peg Perego Primo Viaggo infant seat. I need to go to BRU and see if it will fit in the backseat with both RAs in there. There will be no visible backseat... only carseat. :LOL The Viaggo will work with both the strollers we have. Neither Tori or Jack liked slings until they were older, they both liked the bucket better. And they both would go to sleep in it and it was easier to move them in the bucket to a stroller than wake them up, put them into a sling/carrier that they didn't really like...

Jack loves the sling now (course I'm too ackward!) but he also LOVES his stroller. He cackles when we use it. Little speed demon. :LOL

Britax is a good brand for convertible seats. I haven't researched their infant seat (it's pretty new). Graco makes a couple really good models. And I think I've heard good things about some of the Evenflo and Cosco models.
#19 of 25 Old 07-01-2004, 08:27 PM

Anna,
You'll need the Britax before the 1 year and 20 pounds mark though. The baby will grow out of the bucket and still need to be rear facing. Then the Britax (or other big seat) can be used rear facing for as long as you need and want.

It is confusing, I agree!

#20 of 25 Old 07-01-2004, 11:34 PM

Chrissy's right, hope I didn't confuse you there.

You use the infant seat (rear-facing) until the baby's weight and height exceeds it (anywhere between 4-6 month "typically") and then you would put the baby in the convertible seat in the rear facing position. Until the baby is one year AND 20 pounds.
#21 of 25 Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the imput ladies... it has helped clarify matters alot! Jerome has stepped up to the bat, regarding car seats (As well as slings, diaper bags and reference books) So, that helps alot! It turns out the Burlington Coat Factory 5 minutes from our apartment stocks Britax.... as well as lots of other car seats. So, we are gonna go in person to look at them soon.

We worked on our registry together last night for about 3 hours. He picked out a sling and diaper bag that have his name written all over them... te hee Check them out! Zippers, pockets.. a rugged 'manly" look! http://www.ebags.com/baby_sherpa/bab...?modelid=17222
http://store.babycenter.com/product/...backpacks/4542

Now, we just have to wait and see what people actually get us!

Anna Banana

#22 of 25 Old 07-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Ooh, I like that baby sherpa backpack! Jo's been looking for a non-froo-froo baby bag that also isn't too huge. Maybe she'd like that one! Price is steep though! Phew!

#23 of 25 Old 07-02-2004, 11:28 PM

That is a nice backpack. I was able to get a Lands End diaper backpack on clearance right before Jack was born. I wanted to get a backpack that didn't look to "froo-froo" for David. It's all black, and I had our last name monogramed on it. Figured one of the kids could use it as a regular backpack later.

Jen- Land's End has a newer backpack now, it's about $40. The padded shoulder straps are awesome. Maybe Jo would like it?
#24 of 25 Old 07-15-2004, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Another gear question:

I received an umbrella stroller for my shower and I'm wondering if I should keep it or not. I know we'll primarily use a jogger when we're out and about on walks/runs and other times I'll be slinging baby. I thought I could keep the umbrella stroller in the car in case we need it, but I can't think of when we would need it. Any thoughts/experiences?
Thanks
#25 of 25 Old 07-15-2004, 04:16 PM

I got a hand-me-down stroller a while ago and I plan to keep it in the car for 'just in case'. I have heard it's handy to have. Maybe if you are not sure of it and can return it for the money to buy something else you need more then you can just get a second-hand one sometime if you think you really want one. Even new they are so cheap.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page