April Showers Bring May Flowers - May Thread for Sept. Mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rabbit rabbit!!

Jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 12:28 PM

Happy May Mama's!!!

A few quick things I don't want to forget.

Meredith- congratulations on your perfect little boy! Boys are so much fun. I have so enjoyed being a mama to Noah so far.

Anna- thank you for the sweet May Day card! It was a wonderful surprise in my mailbox.

Savannah- beautiful picture!!

Sarah- congratulations on the house! I'm going to check out the picture and your website too!

Noah says the funniest things these days. This is what he told me last night when we were falling asleep: "Mommy, your mop mops (breasts) smell good." and while rubbing my back, "Mommy, your skin is so soft, like a little bunny."

Okay, better get to the laundry, and the dishes, and the vacuuming, and the .....

Happy Saturday!

And, check out the swap thread and let me know if you have any questions!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#3 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh, Chrissy, that is SO sweet, the comments about your mop mops (tee hee) and your soft skin. I love how descriptive and uninhibited children are.

And I LOVE that children are so tactile. I've always had kids (aged 6-11, actually) who, when I have had long hair, insist on playing with it - mostly girls. But I've also got kids who will give me backrubs while I am reading to their class. Some teachers think that's inappropriate, but I'm not going to stop them if they're going to rub my shoulders! Sorry! My fourth graders play with their male teacher's hair/ponytail too!! Do you think it goes back to the primal grooming/socializing instinct?

Yeah, laundry, I've got that to do too. Need to wash all those prefolds that came through to us. Nice sunny day right now, so I could hang them on the line. Get a feeling for this fall

HUNGRY!

j

#4 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 03:13 PM

Happy happy day today!

Hi everyone! I hadn't realized that there was new thread started today, so I just posted a big whopper over in the April thread. DOH!

Anyway, the jist of it is that last night Jerome and I made a decision. We are going to hire the midwife we met last week and are now planning a Homebirth! The midwife even supplies a birthing tub as an option and I am totally psyched! I can't believe I am looking forward to giving birth! It's like knowing I've never sneezed, or something, and I am about to for the first time! It's not even about the baby.... which I AM excited about too.... it's about becoming a woman, in new way. I feel like I will be entering a new stage in my life and that giving birth will be the doorway, the threshold. Very exciting!

Chrissy, that's so beautiful what Noah said to you. What a treasure! Write that down somewhere so you can remember to mention it in front of his first girlfriend when he's... what, about 15 or so?... Tehee heee. Just kidding! Oh my, mop mops....

Jen, you naughty rabbit rabbiter! One of these months I am gonna sleep over night, in the mailroom so I can start the newest thread at 12 a.m. and be the first to say rabbit rabbit! (wasn't it steph who started that?)

Still no mail delivery! I hate coming in here on saturday's. The college is all closed down, but someone has to sort the stupid mail! It's so much worse when I end up waiting forever for it to arrive!!!!!! Grrrrrr!

Hey, at least I've got a People magazine to read.

Later
Anna Banana

P.S. Savannah, my memory is no sharper than anyone else's. When you are posting a reply, if you scroll down, and down and down under the Additional Options field, there is a Topic Review field. Meaning that, about a page worth's of posts (15 or so) are just waiting for you to look over them and be reminded about what others have posted about recently. But thanks for thinking I was so bright!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#5 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 05:30 PM

Hi everyone. Havent posted in a few days - Ive havent been feeling great, but think its just stress and lack of sleep.

I had my midwife appt. on Wed. and it went really well. We are still trying to figure out who the asst. will be and she suggested that it could be the doula I used with Paityns birth. That wont work though because of a few things that hapened with her afterward, but I though it was nice that she is trying to be really open about it. She said she works or is willing to work with all the midwives around here, so I just need to come up with some names and we will go from there. She told me to post on a local board for input on a few ladies in this area, but no one has responded yet. But it was a great appt. I really love my midwife, she is prob. the most respectful "care provider" I have ever had and I am so glad that I made the smart decision to go to her even though I have to drive almost 2 hours each way. I got to borrow another birth video and the book "How to raise a healthy child in spite of your Dr". I started reading it today.

I also took Paityn to the ped. on Friday because her fever never went away from last weekend (it hasnt gotten that high again though) and I wanted to see what was going on. She has an ear infection. This is a new ped. who has never seen Paityn before and I really liked her. They asked me to bring a vaccination record and we dont really have that since she isnt vaxed, so I was really nervous about her bringing that up. I ended up having too though, because she never did. She did admit that she would rather see kids vaxed but she was totally respectful of the fact that I havent and wont. She just said to write something up saying that I dont want them in the future so it can be in my file. Also, she said that she isnt pro-circ and told me about several hospitals in Houston (where she is from) dont even perform circs anymore. Anyways, this was just an awesome appt. also because I live in a small town outside the DFW metroplex and we dont have many choices as far as Drs go. There is pretty much one way of doing things around here and no one really strays from it. She said she is much more open to alternative lifestyles since she is from a much bigger city.

Anyways, I guess thats enough about us for awhile.

Oh one more thing... I think Riley felt the baby kick yesterday morning. He had his hand in exactly the right spot and said he felt something but he really didnt seem to interested in it either. I am feeling the baby so much more the past week. Its so fun!
#6 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 06:09 PM

Happy May! And Blessed Beltane to those who celebrate.

Today has been stupendous, magnificent and beautificious. Well, that's in the words of my 4 year old!

We woke with the dawn this morning and tiptoed out to collect our blessed dew. Emily washed her face in morning dew (well, mostly spring rain, but she's 4 and quite full of the fantasy), we tied her hair up in bright ribbons and sat under our newly blossomed pear tree singing blessings till the sun was full in the sky.

Then we gathered a bowl of wild violets and tiptoed back inside and tossed violets on Daddy and baby brother till they woke up to join us.

After a breakfast of the Barm Brack (sweet fruit bread mixed and baked without touching steel- steel is dangerous to the faeries, ya know) baked last night, we all dressed in our brightest colors (except Daddy, for whom TAN is a bright color, the spoilsport) and went about our day being happy.

Emily made an early morning run to hang May baskets on the doors of her best friends (who, thankfully, are our two neighbors on this side of the street so she goes from back yard to back yard), and then waited till her friends woke up to being a wild day full of frolic.

I spent the early afternoon napping with Nathaniel and supervising things from my place in bed.

Now I'm supervising the preparation of our evening feast. We're having balsamic and citrus marinated venison, oven roasted balsamic veggies, wild rice pilaf and fresh bread. For dessert there will be fruit tarts.

After dinner will be baths and bed for the littles after their symbolic "Jack Be Nimble" over our Beltane candle.

Poor D maintains his pout because our more adult "celebrations" have been vetoed by the midwife, so we'll probably just have a glass of sparkling juice and snuggle till we sleep.

Days like this give me hope for the future, which is very important during months and months of bedrest.
#7 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 06:12 PM

OHHH...and many thanks to Anna for the wonderful May Day card we recieved in the post today.

~L
#8 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 06:42 PM

Anna,

Thanks for the May Day card! I guess you timed it just right to get to Texas!
And I am very excited that you have chosen to have a homebirth! That is awesome.

Greenbeing,

Congrats on your BOY!

I went with a friend to a sono last week and we found out she is having a girl. For a second, the excitement of that moment made me think I wanted to find out as well, but luckily, the feeling passed and I am back to being content to wait until the birth. I think I missed my chance to even have an ultrasound anyway, since we didnt even mention it at my appt. last Wed.
#9 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 07:06 PM

Since I just joined, I thought I better jump right on in there!!

Saturday is going so so! I have so much laundry, and I miss my oldest dd, she stayed with grandma last night! But will be home later today, and then having some friends come over for dinner! YUM!!

So I do have a few questions..

1. Do midwifes deliver at hospitals? or do I have to stay with my obgyn?

I cant deliver at home or a birthcenter because I have had some problems with my last 2. And my doctor is afraid that it could happen again.

2. Anybody going to use a doula?

I found a wonderful women, she is just great! We get along like we have been best friends for life! We have even started doing yoga together! I feel so much more relaxed and alive!

3. Has anybody heard good things about the "Bradley Method"? or have used it?

I have seen clips on a baby story on TLC and I feel like its worth checking out. I want to go all natural, but I truly hate pain. And not sure if I can do it.!

Thanks
#10 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 07:19 PM

Michelle,

Yes there are midwives that will catch babies in hospitals. I think Blueviolet is from Oregon, maybe she could give you some suggestions of CNMs to call.

Im not going to use a doula this time, but I did hire one for my VBAC with Paityn because I had never labored before and after the cesarean with Riley I was a NERVOUS WRECK!!! I am glad that I had her because she was my ONLY support planning the VBAC and the only person I knew IRL that had had a VBAC. She was very helpful as far as emotional support during my labor. This time Im just going to have my midwife and hope she is enough.

Thats great that you found a doula that you clicked with! Im sure you will have a great experience with her!

I didnt really use the Bradley method, but I did read the book. My husband was not really involved in the pregnancy or birth so thats mainly why it worked out the way it did. The relaxation techniques really helped me, as well as the explaination of the different emotional signposts and descriptions of what your body is physiologically doing during labor..... It was one of the 1st books I read when pregnant with P and I probably learned the most from it.

I hate pain too, but I will get through it and so will you. The most important thing (I think) is to not to be too afraid of it because fear causes you to tense up, then your body has a harder time doing what it needs to do, causing more pain..... I practiced relaxation every night with my last pregnancy and I feel that it really payed off.
#11 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 08:04 PM

mama2girls... I had a doula friend assist at my first birth; what a blessing! I can't imagine doing it without one now. I also had my dh and sister (still pictures) and "videographer" =O) friend in the room.

We didn't use the Bradley method, but had taken a wonderful Christian birthing class from another doula friend. She explained the mechanics of labor and what's going on with your body (knowledge and understanding makes a HUGE difference!), replaced our fears with faith and hope, and gave us some great relaxation, deep breathing techniques. She showed hubby how to squat behind me (while I"m squatting too) and press out on my pelvic bones (that was AWESOME for relieving pain and opening up the passageway), as well as massage on my lower back, etc.

I am excited about having another wonderful, intervention-free natural birth with my twins!!! (In the hospital; in GA midwives aren't allowed to deliver twins at home).

Cuddlemama, your Saturday sounds wonderful. I've never heard of that celebration before, but it sounds like a memory your daughter will certainly cherish!

Anna, thanks for the compliment on the photo, and THANKS for the tip about reviewing past messages!! I feel empowered. hee hee

Mom2Baldie, I'm glad you're enjoying baby movements. That's certainly the high point of being pregnant for me. Now that I know how my twins are situated, it's been fun to visualize who's moving what part of their little body...

Crissy, your Noah sounds like a real charmer. Don't you love that dreamy time right before everyone falls asleep? What a sweet thing to say.

OK, I'll go now. I, too, posted first on the April board earlier.
- Savannah
#12 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Dear experienced cloth diapering mamas on board,

We've just inventoried (no kidding, that's what we really did) all of our diapers and discovered that for little sizes, we have close to 100 diapers, a number of doublers, but only 6 covers. We've got 3 dozen handmade formed diapers and 4 dozen prefolds. The covers we have are 2 biobottoms felted lambswool, a few Gerber plastic covers that we aren't in love with, and two others I'm not remembering right now. Perhaps those are the Nikkys (cotton)? Anyway, I think we'll need a few more covers, and I'm thinking I'm going to be partial to wool. Do any of you have educated opinions on this matter? Do you think we'll need more covers and if so, how many?

Leigh, your May Day sounds wonderful! I hope it's ok for the May Day parade here tomorrow, someone said that there is actually snow in the forecast!!!!? Blessings on your Beltane...

Melanie congrats on your boy! I'm glad the ultrasound went well.

Anna I'm glad you made a decision that makes you so HAPPY.

Michelle I believe that you can do it! I believe that we can all do it. It is the remarkable task of a woman to bring a child into the world and I honestly think we are all born with the potential strength to do it when we are born into this world as girls. But most importantly, YOU must believe you can do it. I read a little about Bradley but my (female) partner and I could not find ourselves in any of the materials, Bradley being husband-coached childbirth and all. We are going to Hypnobirthing classes where they do not teach you how to be in a trance during your labor but rather teach you how to react to what happens in your body during labor and use your mind to convince your body to respond in a way that makes birthing easier. Birth companions (see, we found ourselves in that literature!) are also very involved but are not considered coaches. We are still mulling over possibly hiring a doula, and we will be attended by a midwife in a hospital-based birth center.

Happy weekend (hooray... rest...)

j

#13 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 09:37 PM

Jen...

Here's my semi-educated opinion on your diaper situation. I've been diapering without stop for 4.5 years now and anticipate another 3 or 4 in the future. I've not had a week without diaper laundry since Feb 2000, and usually do 3+ loads per week.

I'd recommend 36 diapers for any given stage of baby development. The biggest change in number is for covers. It doesn't sound like a huge amount, but the truth is that you can really only clean thoroughly about 2 dozen diapers at a time in a washing machine anyway. So, usually we wash when we have reached a couple dozen dirties and the extra dozen holds us through while laundry is being done.

You need MANY more covers for a newborn than a toddler. Newborn poopies escape all but the most absorbant fitted diapers, and end up getting on the covers.

I'd recommend 6-12 newborn/small covers. When you size up to mediums and larges you can probably get away with the 6. Especially if you're going with wool soakers.

I personally wouldn't do wool on a newborn just because of the fact that it would have to be washed and dried every time it got feces on it, which can be frequent with a fresh baby. As soon as the explosive poo stops being so frequent, wool is awesome. Sadly, Nate is allergic so we can't use it.

If I were you, I'd sell or trade a bunch of those diapers for some extra covers. If you're not opposed to synthetic materials, newborn Prowrap covers are awesome and can be purchased as seconds from the company VERY reasonably (at like $3 each as opposed to $9 retail). If you don't do synthetics, I suggest buying the Little Turtle Knits soaker and longies pattern and finding a local knitter who can work up a bunch of soakers for you. Otherwise, you'd best get on the list of some soaker WAHMoms soon, the waiting lists for some of the companies is MONTHS long...and they cost a FORTUNE.

~Leigh
#14 of 424 Old 05-01-2004, 10:28 PM

Chrissy - the other day, I was changing and Jack told me, "Cool nursies, mommy!" I bet he and Noah would have fun together.

Anna - have fun getting to know your midwife! I love mine and have really missed her since Jack's birth.

Leigh - what a beautiful day! Jack loves doing altar work with me, but I haven't celebrated anything bigger since Samhain last year. We host a huge "ancestor" dinner and we really look forward to it all year. Blessed Be!

Michelle - I will say that I find some of the Bradley concepts interesting, but I have never really gotten to far into it because I have issues with the "husband coached" aspect of it and it seems to me to involve a lot of counting to ten while pushing, which I abhor. But to be fair, most of what of seen of it is from Baby Story on TLC, so I could just be jumping to conclusions. I think this time I'm going to take a Hypnobirthing course.

Lynsey - I was wondering where you were. Is Paityn feeling any better?

Jen (and others new to cloth) - For some reason it took my FOREVER to figure this out, but so you know, you can just slid the prefold diapers right into covers like bummis and proraps, therefore not having to use pins. I don't know how I missed this, but I felt like a fool once I realized that was how they were meant to be used. I agree, those are nice for when they are little and very poopy, but I also do love the wool. It makes their little bottoms so soft and not crinkly feeling like with some covers.

My mom and I drove with Jack to my sister's about 2 hours away today. We were there for a couple of hours and then drove back and went to the mall. What was I thinking? I did way to much today and am now exhausted. Dh, of course, slept all day and got nothing done around here. Hphhhh. I want to go to the beach tomorrow, but am thinking I should probably just hang out at the house.

Jen - when are you starting your hypno class? I think ours is starting the first of August, so I will just finish it by the time I'm due.
#15 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Leigh - I knit. Quite proficiently. And I had been to little turtle knits before, but now I think I ought to really invest in a few of their patterns (but SHEESH are they expensive). But if I am to knit my own soakers, they will be made of wool. Do you recommend them for older kids and just to buy proraps or the like for the newborn time?

A mom at our school recommended Bumpy covers. I've only bought one wool Bumpy so far on eBay. Anyone here have any experience with Bumpys?

I was given 15 Crickett's Diapers which are all cotton with lots of elastic and snaps - and the maker says they need a waterproof cover and she likes bummis. Do you all agree? It strikes me as a LOT of layers to put a cover on over that...

Thanks everyone!

j

#16 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 10:36 AM

I always thought on older walking kids the wools were too thick, not trim enough to be real mobile. And they looked weird under clothing, like the child has three diapers on. I have a few WAHM wraps, but not many. My favorite wraps are the Bummis. And I like the prowraps too, but know they seem to run a little big. Which is fine, but the larges I bought my daughter were never really worn as she grew into them right when she went out of diapers...

I am off to pick up our newest member to the family....a 9 week old Akita named Kuma. I will post pics tonight!!

caroline
#17 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Good to see someone else up as early as I am... I woke up from an odd dream of being admitted to the Birth Center but not having contractions... eventually I told them I was going home because nothing would be happening until Friday. Odd! And since I woke up Sprout has been playing trampoline in my uterus, I keep feeling bonk! left side bonk! right side - repeat for a while and I pretty much admit defeat and get up, for a while at least...

It is cold but sunny, let's hope that holds for the May Day parade this afternoon. Last year it was cool and drizzly - unpleasant!

Oh well, I don't have much to say, just checking in since I was up, you know me!

j

#18 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 12:10 PM

Jen,

WOW! Man, I cant believe you have that many dipes! I dont even have that many after 2 kids. Yes, I think you need a few more covers at least. I love wool also and have bought several covers from many places this pregnancy: www.kiwipie.com , www.elbeebaby.com , www.woolybumbums.com ...
The good thing about using wool (I think) is that they dont have to be washed unless they get poop on them and if you are using well fitting fitted dipes, you might not have many explosions... I prob. wont even use a cover when Im just around the house, only fitteds or prefolds. Also, Ive ordered several Bummis Super Whisper Wraps and Prowraps. They are cheap, but very plain, as opposed to a cute embroidered or apliqued cover. Also, they are very easy to find as they are always in stock someplace. I know that naturalbabies.com has a flat shipping rate, just in case you want to order a few.

The diapering forum here at MDC is very helpful, although overwhelming. You may want to post there to get more opinions on covers...
#19 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 12:46 PM

ooooh, diapering talk! i'm planning to use mostly wool from the get-go with this baby, although like lynsey's babe mine will also probably go coverless a lot at home.

knitting patterns: i have ltk's soaker and longies pattern and they are expensive, but cute. i just bought the fern and faerie pattern (www.fernandfaerie.com) and it was a good bit cheaper, only $10 and the pattern includes both soaker and longies. i have heard good things about it and can't wait to try it.

wool: i bought some superwash yarn that is a blend of acrylic and wool. it is machine washable and dryable. since it's not all wool though it won't have all the anti-bacterial properties of 100% wool covers, nor will it be as absorbant/waterproof. i still think it will be handy for the early blow-out days when there might be a lot of poo's on covers.

i agree that soakers under clothes aren't always the best choice for bigger kids but wool covers that aren't soakers (like bumpy, el bee baby, kiwi pie, sugarpeas...) are nearly as trim as other covers) and i love that they are so breathable.

ahhhh, the joys of diaper talk.

jen, wow you sure have been visited by the diaper fairy!! i agree with the others that you probably will want a few more covers in each size.

tons to do today. happy sunday everybody,
c

#20 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 01:39 PM

Hey Jen, there is a yahoo mailing list with patterns and discussion about knitting wool soakers: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wool_soaker_group/.

I joined thinking I would learn to knit some but found out a friend is very excited to make some for me. The patterns posted in the files seem pretty good - at least she says so.

Good luck with it. There is a lot of talk on the sewing and crafts boards about knitting soakers, and they can look sooooo cute!

We had dh's birthday party last night. It was great fun. I was moody though and at one point thought I might just go out to a movie while the party was on and he could host it himself. Luckily I kept it to myself and just got over it cause it was a really fun party.

The dulce de leche cheesecake squares were a bit hit, but it was an exceptionally warm evening and they got kind of melty. Of course the joy of a party is enjoying the leftovers for days after.

Happy May everyone!

P.S. I will be doing hypnobirthing too. I am supposed to talk the instructor this month. I hope we will get started soon. I have heard it is good to start about week 22. That is another yahoo group I subscribe to, the hypnobabies discussion group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/HypnoBabies/.
#21 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 06:21 PM

Lots of catching up to do on the boards!

Welcome, Michelle!

Cuddlemama-
Your dinner sounded divine! My mouth watered just reading it!

Jen-
I sat down Friday and did diaper inventory, too!
So far I have 33 fitteds, 5 AIO's, 15 covers (some wool, a couple fleece, and some Bummis and Proraps), and 14 dyed prefolds just for backup.
Whew! I only want a couple more little tiny fitteds, and then I'm done with my newborn stash.

Anna-
Congrats on the decision you and Jerome made!

Chrissy-
I love what your son said! My 4 yr old son says the sweetest things like that sometimes, too.

Sorry I missed some of you!

Have a happy Sunday!
#22 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

2.5 hours of slow walking and standing doesn't feel all that great!!! And the bummer part was that the May Day parade was SO spaced out that we only got to see a few of the entries in it over 45 mins of watching!! I was disappointed. I told Jo next year I want a seat directly on the parade route.

It was cool, though, to just run into people I know. A colleague, a mom from our school, and the awesome flaming queen enrollment director from the Waldorf school in Minneapolis

I found out this morning that there is a really cool store near us called Peapods that not only carries exactly the toys and things I love being a Waldorf teacher, but also carries bummis AND has a registry, too. Forget target - we're registering there! OK, well, maybe I won't completely forget target... that zealous dad wants to clean off our registry for us. So we figured we'd register for things like outlet covers, long-sleeve footie onesies (my mom calls these "newbie suits". Do they have a proper name? Creepers, maybe?), maybe some Avent accoutrements... but we'll definitely put some super whisper wraps on a peapods registry.

chrissy - let me know how the fern and faerie patterns knit up. Did you know that Brown Sheep Co. makes a superwash worsted that is 100% wool?

So, I'm getting the feeling that covers in general are for safety's sake when you go out and you don't want a 'blow-out' getting all over everything. We'll take our chances with the wool, since we have them.

Yawn,

jen

ps: the diapering forum and the trading post totally intimidate me because they are so HUGE and there are so many options.

pps: does one dye or tie-dye prefolds so that stains don't show as much? Can you still wash them in hot after dyeing them?

#23 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 08:42 PM

Jen, I've never heard of that. It sounds great though. It's machine washable and dryable??? I'll have to try some.

#24 of 424 Old 05-02-2004, 09:09 PM

I posted pics in the yahoo group...my face and all!!!! Oh, and DH....

Caroline
#25 of 424 Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 AM

Good morning, all!

I'm going to sleep!

Man, it's been a long day already around here. My 4 year old went to bed at 5pm last night, after a busy day with 2 park playdates, and woke up starving at 3am this morning because she missed dinner. She's been up and running since then, and my 2 year old joined her at 4:30.

Dave got up at 6am, but had to call in to the office for a conference call so I have still been trying to control the chaos from my place on the sofa all morning.

The conference call was good news, though! Despite working from home for the past 2 months, and probably working from home till the end of August, Dave received a promotion and a fairly decent little raise!!! What can I say? He's a super-overachiever. He manages to do in each day household related work that I was never able to do, and still work a full time engineering job from home well enough to recieve commendation and a promotion. He's the kind of hubby that can make a SAHMom like me feel a bit lazy.

Ok, I'd better get the sleep while I can.

Blessings,

~Leigh
#26 of 424 Old 05-03-2004, 10:45 AM

Happy Monday! (you know Jen, ever since you put the words to the Bangles song up, they seem to find me on Mondays-how do I make it stop? :LOL

Leigh-hope you get some rest. Also, thanks for the info about cloth dipes. Being new at this, it can get overwhelming! Like Jen said, those dping boards can be intimidating, but I'm trying...

I received an AIO and 2 covers in the mail Friday. So cute! But boy, do I have some more shopping to do.

Caroline-thanks for showing us your pics! You guys are beautiful!

Off to work-only 4 1/2 weeks left!!!!!
#27 of 424 Old 05-03-2004, 11:44 AM

Caroline - what cute pics! How did you find a dress that you look so great being pregs and all?

Jen - Somehow the sun manages to take out the nastiest stains. Do you have room to hang your dipes outside? I always left mine white, cause I loved how they gleamed after a day outside. I never thought I would wax poetic about something meant to be pooped in!

Leigh - where is Endwell? I go up to Scotia outside of Albany about 6-8 times/year to see my grandma and other family. In fact, we are leaving on Wednesday.

We ended up taking Jack to the lake near us yesterday and he had such a blast. Its the first time he's played in a lake, as opposed to a pool, and he really loved being able to walk around in the water, etc. He has no fear, which is a good thing, but also scary when he will just keep walking out until his head is underwater. My goal is to have him swimming by the end of the summer.

We went and bought a bunch of stuff for the house at Home Depot yesterday. And dh and I fought all day too, so that was blahhh and left me still in a gray mood today. Jack's been really bratty the past couple days too, and I hope he is better behaved at my grandma's. The worst feeling though, when your child is being bratty, is that you know it usually relates to you somehow. Being too tired, not proactive enough, not wanting to get up off the couch to make him stop doing something as opposed to just telling him, etc. I'm really going to have to turn the energy up the next couple of days.

I did at the beginning of last week make myself get back on a health kick - lots more veggies, vitamins and extra B every day, better sleep, etc and that has really helped already. I was eating WAY to many jalapeno poppers - my drug of choice this preg!
#28 of 424 Old 05-03-2004, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

The only cure for the Bangles' "Manic Monday" is for it to become Tuesday :LOL

Oh, btw, forgive me for saying I only had 5 covers. Did I say that? I had forgotten about the freakin' BOXLOAD that was waiting to be washed. Mostly a brand I've never heard of but hey, now we've got 2-3 DOZEN covers of various sizes and designs. Jo is going to build me a nice shelf unit to put next to our dresser-turned-changing table to try to store all of these wonders... in the meantime, the rest of them will be stored in this massive 40-gallon Rubbermaid container that is currently living in the middle of our living room floor! HELP! So much stuff! Such a small house! Aieeeee!

Sarah - I have room to hang 3 dozen dipes on the line at a time, and they get wonderful afternoon sun, but I did find out on Saturday that I need to go buy more clothespins!!!

Leigh congrats to your husband!!

Chrissy - re superwash yarn - yep - the label recommends hanging to dry but I've dried my socks many times, and they shrink only very minimally and can be returned to their previous size with a tug or two.

mw appt today after school. My henna art on my belly has hung on long enough for my mw to get a peek! I wonder what she'll think.

I think Sprout had the hiccups last night while I was trying to fall asleep. It was a fairly-well-spaced, repetitive jumping feeling in the same spot.

Happy Manic Mondays,

Craving Kool-Aid (????!!!!),

j

ps: Meredith: don't 4.5 weeks sound so very short, yet (for me anyway) May seems so LONG?! maybe it's because this year I've got so much cleaning out to do before I go. Thank goodness, I guess, that I've only got two shelves instead of a classroom. When's your last day of school?

#29 of 424 Old 05-03-2004, 12:59 PM

The ultrasound on Saturday went really well. Everything looks good. She had a hard time getting a good look at the heart because the baby was laying on her stomach. It looks like a girl, though the legs were together so it's not 100% accurate. She didn't see any "outdoor plumbing" as she put it.

Sistermama-we went to the beach yesterday too. It was nice. The kids got all wet and sandy, but they had fun-the van looks like we brought a bunch of the beach home with us.

I love cloth diapering. I've been doing it for 10 1/2 years. I love it more and more as time goes by. I love changing diapers. I love washing diapers, I love folding diapers and putting them on the change table. (There are so many diapers piled on the change table, I change diapers on the bed or the floor.) There will be even more when I get out the little baby fitteds. Where am I going to put them all?! Mika is potty training-I've done EC with her, so she's kept up her awareness from birth about going to the potty. She goes sometimes at diaper changing times, and sometimes she'll come to me and tell me she has to go.

Gotta take Kelly to the dentist this morning. That should be...fun. I'm so afraid she'll freak out. She's very hard to deal with sometimes.

Better go feed my crew. I'm hungry.

Oh, does anyone know of anything that will help restless leg syndrome?-at least, that's what I think it is.My legs really but me in the evenings and when I'm trying to go to sleep.
#30 of 424 Old 05-03-2004, 01:27 PM

Melanie...for restless leg, this is what I do, and it works somewhat...Leg stretches before I lay down, light exercise. Hot shower or bath before bed...basically get your legs warm and keep them that way. With my last pregnancy, it was bad, I wrapped my legs in receiving blankets to keep them warm. If it gets really bad, get up and walk around, or take another shower. There where times when I would be showering at 3 in the morning I couldn't take it anymore!! I know how anoying that is....I am sorry

Hope those help...

Caroline

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page