Yummy Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2004, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else wondering about that watermelon granita recipe posted a while back? How about the potato-cheese soup?

To save time and sanity, I am hoping we can post recipe ideas to this thread... that way they should be nice and easy to find!!

Try to put the name of the recipe in the title box - makes recipes even easier to locate.

Guten Appetit,

Jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

If you're a pancake freak like I am, this might hit the spot if you're trying to avoid lots of processed grains too. I made the mix this morning in the food processor - took care of the butter in a hurry vs. using a cheese grater, if you have one I'd recommend it. It made really tasty pancakes. I'm including the biscuit recipe (thinking of you Anna!) that came with the mix recipe; for pancakes I added an egg and enough milk to make the consistency right. And I think that the shortcake option sounds REALLLLLLLY yummy...

Multigrain Biscuit Mix and 15-minute Biscuits
(from the co-op newspaper)

5 servings

Other uses of this mix include adding 2 teaspoons of dried herbs of choice, or 1/4 c shredded cheese. Make sweet shortcakes by adding 1 Tbsp sugar and substituting milk for the water, then sprinkling with sugar before baking. Split and serve with berries and cream or yogurt.

For mix:

2 c unbleached flour
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c rolled quinoa
1/2 c powdered milk
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 c sugar or other sweetener
2 tsp salt
1 stick butter or margarine

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. When well combined, use a grater to shred the cold butter or margarine into the bowl, tossing with the flour to coat [or throw all into food processor - j]. Squeeze the mixture in handfuls to break up the butter or margarine into small pieces. Store in Ziploc bags in the refrigerator or freezer (if frozen, measure what you want to use and let come to room temp for an hour before proceeding). Makes 6 c mix.

For biscuits:

1 c biscuit mix
1/4 c water or more
1 Tbsp milk, optional (for brushing tops)

To make biscuits, measure mix in a large bowl, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Quickly stir in the water just to moisten, don't overstir. Flatten the dough in the bottom of the bowl and cut into 4 wedges. Brush tops with milk if desired, bake on ungreased sheet pan for 10 mins. Serve hot.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:56 PM

Jen - I want your stuffed pepper recipe!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:00 PM

Ingredients
olive oil
1 or 2 Heads of garlic (cloves peeled and ends trimmed)
1 large onion (diced)
1 package portabella mushrooms (in big fat slices)
1 large package of regular mushrooms (sliced)
a whole lot of lean beef steak(thinly sliced)
3 or 4 cans of cream of mushroom soup (with roasted garlic if possible)
1 tub of sour cream
2 bags of wide egg noodles

Can be made without beef, for those vegetarians out there, but add lots of portabellas in that case... they're meatier!

I use a great big wide deep fry pan with a glass lid to cook the indredients primarily, but then move everything to a crockpot for the final touch.

In large pan
on low heat sautee whole cloves of garlic (approx 1 Head) in olive oil (untill lightly golden brown and slightly soft) remove the garlic (to cool) but leave the oil. carmelize diced onions on medium heat, set aside onions and oil. Get the pan good and hot before cooking the meat, which should be thinly sliced (similar to stirfry) I often cook the meat in batches because i make sooo much at one time!(season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic salt) When the meat is all browned add back in the onions and all those mushrooms (sliced). slice the garlic cloves into approx 6 slices per clove, (should be soft and easy to slice) and add to mixture. I usually put the cover on and reduce heat stir regularily for about 15 minutes. Add 2 cans of mushrooms soup and allow to simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.

Transfer everything to crockpot and add as much cream of mushroom soup as your crock pot will allow. Put on low heat for as long as you can stand to wait (5+ hours)or on high for about 2 hours

Boil water for pasta. at table serve pasta, add sauce and then allow people to add sour cream to taste. (some gluttons want more than, those watching their figures!) salad goes well with beef stroganoff, and yummy crusty bread out of the oven or bread machine rocks!

Enjoy!
Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Note: this is a recipe for 2!

1 pepper per person (any color)
1 box Near East Rice Pilaf *or* enough rice to make about 1 c cooked (the rice pilaf mix, while boxed, has some nice spices in it)
1/4 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil depending on the leanness of your beef (more lean = need oil)
spaghetti sauce if you like
salt/pepper to taste

Seed peppers, cut the tops so that the undersides are flat. Don't throw out tops! Set aside in a baking dish, I find that 2 peppers side-by-side in a bread pan work nicely!

prepare rice/rice pilaf, set aside.

Brown ground beef. When mostly browned, add onions. If necessary, add oil before adding onions. Saute onions and ground beef together til onions start to get clear. Add garlic and saute a bit longer til garlic starts to brown *lightly*. Be careful not to burn your garlic.

Jo swears that stuffed peppers should have red sauce (a la Spanish rice). I don't agree. At any rate, if you want to add red sauce, now is the time. If not, leave it out. Stir the rice into the beef and onions, taste, add salt or pepper or any other seasonings you like. (I actually like to add some shredded cheese to mine!)

Fill the peppers with your stuffing mixture but leave enough space at the top to put the cap back on the pepper. Bake at 350 until the peppers are soft but not falling apart. I have never timed this, just poked them with a sharp knife, so I don't know how long it is... probably around 45 minutes or so.

Be careful as the insides are usually very hot!

Old 06-01-2004, 10:54 PM

Oh Lord! The stroganoff is making me drool! I am going to have to try that recipie! Anyone have some good fish recipies? We need to add more fish to DH's diet.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 06-01-2004, 10:56 PM

Heather, do you have a grill? Most fish come out perfect wrapped in tin foil, with some herbs and butter, cooked on a grill....

You can change the taste by changing which herbs or spices you use..

Caroline
Old 06-01-2004, 10:56 PM

Chicken So Phyn

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch cubes

1/2 pack skinless boneless thighs, cut into 2 inch cubes (you can use all while meat if you want, I just like a mix)

4 Red peppers & 2 green peppers...Cut each pepper into 3rds, remove seeds, put skin side up on a pan, put under broiler until black (keep a close eye on this), then put in brown paper bag & close...let sit for 5 minutes, then pull them out & the skins should come right off...then cut them into wide strips.

1 can of artichoke hearts, drained...cut each one in half lengthwise

Now,
Heat about 1/4 cup olive oil in a very large frying pan. You may have to add more later in the cooking, if it becomes pastey.

Take the chicken & place in plastic bag & lightly flour, then add to hot oil. Turn after a few minutes. Continue cooking over medium heat (make sure oil is hot enough or all the flour will come off).

Add 1/2 tsp of rosemary

Add some chopped garlic (however much you like )

Add 1/4 cup of walnut halves (or large pieces)

Cook til the chicken is almost finished

Add peppers & artichokes, continue to stir fry until chicken is finished then turn down the heat to med/low & covered the pan...

It makes 4-6 servings. Serve it over rice with a salad and some bread.

Very tasty!!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:14 PM

Watermelon Granita

About 5 cups watermelon cubes, seedless or seeds removed
juice of a lemon or lime, or more for more tartness
About 1/2 c sugar (I use raw) dissolved in 1/2 boiling water to make a syrup

Puree everything in a blender or food processor, add more sugar or lemon to taste. Freeze in a large baking pan (I used a glass 9X13X2), stirring with a fork about every 30 to 60 minutes to break up, until nice and slushy

The leftovers got a pretty frozen overnight. You could probably leave them out for a while and stir until slushy again.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 06-02-2004, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Heather, do you have a grill? Most fish come out perfect wrapped in tin foil, with some herbs and butter, cooked on a grill....

You can change the taste by changing which herbs or spices you use..

Caroline
We have a grill wok that we use and it worked out perfectly last night with the Orange Roughy. We sprinkled the fish with Old Bay and then grilled. It was delicious. We had fresh steamed asparagus that DH picked up at the Farmer's Market to complete the meal.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:00 PM

Here's something I made for a salad potluck here at work today, and it was very popular!

SOUTHWEST PASTA SALAD

The "wacky mac" is a combination of several different pastas and colors: wagon wheel, shell, twisty, etc. If I can't find it, I just use tricolor twists.

1 package "Wacky Mac" (16 oz.)
1 pound firm tofu, cubed
1 large or two small avocados, cut into bite size pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
1 to 2 bunches green onions, sliced
1 small can green chili peppers, drained
1 small can of whole kernel corn (or about half a regular can)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. dill weed
Freshly ground black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and rinse with cold water until cool. Place in large bowl.

Cube tofu and drizzle with additional oil and vinegar, sprinkle with a little cayenne. Marinate. (Can be done the night before.)

Prepare vegetables and add to pasta. Add tofu. Put spices in jar; add oil, vinegar and juice, shake to mix. Pour over salad. Stir well and refrigerate overnight or at least two hours.

Tip: I've used Lawry's Red Pepper Seasoned Salt for the dressing seasoning, plus the dill.

Variation for omnivores: Substitute cubed chicken for the tofu. (Both can be omitted for a more side-dish type salad.)
Old 06-04-2004, 01:32 PM

Caroline- Tried the fish in the tinfoil in the oven. MMMmmm. Everyone really liked it. Basa fillets with lemon pepper, rice and broccoli.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:55 AM

This is not a particularly healthy dish, but oh it's good!

Hamburger Monterey (known at our house as "goulash" although it's really not anything like traditional goulash...)

1 lb. hamburger
small package bacon
2 cups macaroni
1 small can tomato soup
1 small can mushroom soup
1/2-3/4 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded (depending on how cheesy you like it!)
1 can corn
chili powder
salt and pepper

Boil macaroni until done, and drain. Cook hamburger and drain. Fry bacon until crispy (I do this under the broiler, on a perforated pan so the grease will drain, helps get it crispy,) drain on paper towels and let cool, then crumble into small pieces. Mix everything together in an oven-proof casserole dish or pot, season to taste (strength of chili powder varies greatly among brands, so you really just have to figure it out yourself) and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. (Heated up leftovers are even better, so double it and have some for the next day!)

This is THE favorite comfort food at our house.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM

Breakfast fritata

The end results of this concoction is a goldeny brown omelette-like egg dish (kinda like a keesh) with an assortment of veggies and meats which you choose.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can put anything you like in it, leftover chicken breast, sandwich meat....no meat. Use what is on hand, the final few veggies in the crisper, leftover stirfry takeout, etc.

My suggestions

chopped garlic
sliced mushrooms
broccoli -bite sized
cauliflower - bite sized
sliced red peppers
sliced zuchini
meat of choice - steak, chicken, pork, bacon - use leftovers from dinner!

In a non stick pan with olive oil, heat / cook the ingredients (similar to stir fry)
remove ingredients from pan, place in bowl. add 2 to 5 eggs depending on size of batch and size of pan. Raw egg should coat all ingredients. (I like to mix in some shredded cheese also.)

Get frying pan clean, oiled and hot... then add the egg covered veggies and meat back into pan. cover with lid and cook on low heat for about 7 minutes. The key is to slow cook this dish!
Take a plate and place it up side down in pan. FLIP the entire pan over... raw egg side against plate, yummy cooked side up! It helps to make sure it is not stuck to the pan before you try to flip it. Use a rubber scraper to work around the fritata while still in pan.
Get frying pan fairly clean, oiled anad heated again before SLIDING the raw egg stuff back into pan, cooked golden side up. Cook on low for a few minutes. I often add shredded cheese and cover so it is all melty and yummy on top!
Remove from pan, by sliding it onto a plate and slice into sections with a pizza cutter. Delicious golden fritata is yours to enjoy. My dad always eats his with salsa on top, Jerome likes it best cold from the fridge a day later.

don't be too scared about flipping it, it's easier than it sounds and it a delicious protein rich breakfast!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 07-12-2004, 06:39 PM

My Dh made these for us this weekend and they are sooooo yummy and not too sugary, so I could even handle them as a snack with my GD.

1 c whole wheat flour
1 c Oat Bran
1 t baking soda
1 mashed ripe banana (although I think 2 would be better)
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 small carton of fresh blueberries

Mix dry ingredients. In another bowl mix banana and butter. Add brown sugar and egg and mix really well. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes!!!

DELICIOUS!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 03:38 AM

Must share this. One of our local Mpls mamas made this at one of our potlucks 3 years back, and it's SOOOOO yummy!
I have been making it all summer, and my kids love it.

Peanut Butter fruit dip

1 C. vanilla yogurt
1/2 c. Cool whip
1/2 c. Peanut butter
Pinch or two of cinnamon

Mix these together in a bowl, and voila!
I think it's best served with sliced apples, strawberries, and bananas.
Citrus/melons don't *quite* go right with it.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:19 PM

Fresh Fruit Parfait

Fresh fruit of your choice, cut/sliced
Vanilla yogurt
Shredded coconut

Cut fruit up in clear glasses or fruit dishes; top with yogurt and sprinkle with coconut. Absolutely delish!

In the past few weeks we've enjoyed these combos: strawberry/peach; strawberry/blueberry; grape/strawberry; banana/strawberry.

I've got peaches on the counter right this minute -- it's what's for supper!
Old 08-29-2004, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Cake:

3/4 to 1 cup granulated sugar (Jo swears it's better with the extra 1/4 c sugar; I think it throws the salt/sugar balance off. Each to their own!)
1/4 c butter
1 large egg
2 c all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c milk (recipe recommends whole milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 c fresh blueberries

Topping:

1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp dry pumpkin pie spice*
1/4 c butter

*this morning Jo substituted 1 Tbsp cinnamon for the pumpkin pie spice. It's very good with just cinnamon, too. Last time I made it I put in about a tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of ginger, a pinch of allspice and a pinch of nutmeg as we don't have a bottle of "pumpkin pie spice".

Preheat oven to 375.

Cake preparation: cream sugar and butter. Beat in egg. mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in milk and vanilla until combined. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter evenly into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Batter may be quite thick.

Topping: mix topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.

Bake 45 mins or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

Makes 9 (generous) servings.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:10 PM

Just a little for Jen to add her Blueberry Buckle recipe.

ETA: Okay how did I miss the BluEberry recipe???

:LOL :LOL
Old 09-03-2004, 10:36 AM

This recipe comes straight out of the KitchenAid blender instruction manual!

2 cloves garlic
1/2 c fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 3/4 c firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 c fresh parsley leaves
3 tbsp slivered almonds or pine nuts
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 - 1/3 c reduced sodium chicken broth (or veggie)

Blend or mince garlic. Add basil, parsley and nuts. Blend. It usually gets stuck here, so add in some of the broth or oil. Keep adding broth and oil as needed to get blender unstuck. Blend until pesto is even and finely chopped.

Serve on pasta or as a sandwich spread. It freezes really well and will stay good for several months.

Steph
Old 09-03-2004, 11:23 AM

That sounds like a heavenly pesto! My husband is going to love you! LOL! I swear he should be part Italian but he isn't.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:12 AM

Jen - I made your blueberry buckle for breakfast yesterday, it's so yummy! My husband really really likes it too. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Too ripe (smushy) plums make this a bit more challenging but it still worked.

Batter for cake:
1 stick butter
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract

For the top:
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon (or more, I used more)

A number of plums

Prepare the batter as you would any batter: cream butter and sugar, add eggs, add flour and baking powder, add extract. Spread into a well-greased 10" pie pan.

Cut in half and pit the plums. Place them cut side down on top of the batter in the pan. If you can arrange them so that it will be easier to cut wedges when it is finished, that's a bonus.

Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the cake and plums.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. DO NOT EAT HOT as the plums hold in a lot of steam and you are apt to burn your mouth!

User Tag List