Diapers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 72 Old 08-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jen - you can make a nice wipe mixture with some water and Dr. Bronner's Castile Baby soap, which has basically no scent at all. I haven't tried those baby bits yet.
#32 of 72 Old 08-08-2004, 04:47 PM

Will any of you use a wipes warmer or do you plan on keeping your solution in a spray bottle??? I'm wondering if I really NEED a warmer or if the room temperature spray would be fine on my little babe's bottom. Any insight???

Also, back to the prefolds...I was given some regular size ones and wondering if these would be too big to fit into a fuzzibunz. I'm realizing that I still have heaps of diapers to buy and am wanting to try to get some use out of the regulars for now and add some infant sized ones as well.
#33 of 72 Old 08-08-2004, 09:25 PM

I'm thinking that one of those pointy-tipped plastic ketchup bottles would be just the ticket for wipe solution, especially if it has a little cap you can put on the end of the tip. You can squirt it into the wipe (or in my case, the washcloth) and away you go.

Hm, that ought to be a fun item to track down. Maybe it will be on sale since picnic season is winding down!

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#34 of 72 Old 08-08-2004, 11:33 PM

A regular prefold should fit into a Small FB (not positive on a XS never actually seen one of those :LOL) especially if you fold it 'sideways' so that its thinner in width to stuff but makes it thicker in condensing the soaking section.

We use wipes warmers. For us they are a necessity. We got one when Tori was a couple of weeks old. She was (and still is to a degree) very sensitive about hot and cold. Diaper changes were an absolute nigtmare. She HATED a cold wipe would scream bloody murder. We got the warmer and it was suddenly calm and quiet during changes. We got one for Jack for general purpose. He isn't as picky but does prefer warm ones.

ETA: I made wipe solution up by the gallon jug and just keep refilling the warmer when it runs out. If you DO use a wipes warmer, you wan to use either distilled water or boil your tap water. Need to make sure there isn't anything "alive" in the water or you'll have musty water in about a day.
#35 of 72 Old 08-08-2004, 11:56 PM

Jen, I found the perfect squeeze bottle for my wipe solution: The sitz bottle I got at the hospital after I delivered Nicolas! No doubt I'll get another one this time, haha. It's a clear bottle, smaller than a picnic ketchup bottle. I think I've seen those types at the dollar store, though...
#36 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 12:10 AM

I've got a tupperware/canister type thing with a large screw on cap (that my hand will fit through) that I just put wipe solution in and shove wipes into.
#37 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 01:48 AM

Greenbeing,
I decided I will use a spray bottle to start with to see how it works. I odered a pre-mixed all natural solution that someone on the dipes boards recommended. I may just start making my own once that's gone though.
#38 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 08:50 AM

I really liked my wipe warmer. Most of the time we didn't use any wipe solution though, just wet the stack of wipes and away we went.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#39 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 12:49 PM

Ooo, I need this thread right now!

So if I buy some microfleece for liners, what kind of prep do I need to do before use?

Also, do I really need a snappi or pins for cpfs that I will cover with velcro or snap closure covers?

Thanks!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#40 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 02:00 PM

I use the peri bottle as well. The top pops up/down so no leaks. I keep one in the changing area and one in the diaper bag. I haven't used a wipe warmer. My kids don't seem to care. I just keep plain water in them as I use it for faces/hands/emergency drinks of water etc. . It gets used quickly enough to not get the musty water smell.

microfleece is so easy, it doesn't fray so no hemming. I just wash mine with the dipes.

snappi's or pins hold the diaper on better for poop containment. I never was successful with a diaper/velcro wrap in containing blow outs without being fastened.

Happy Diapering!!
Sarahb
#41 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregirl
Ooo, I need this thread right now!

So if I buy some microfleece for liners, what kind of prep do I need to do before use?

Also, do I really need a snappi or pins for cpfs that I will cover with velcro or snap closure covers?

Thanks!
No, prep for microfleece except to wash it once.

No, you don't NEED a snappi or pins. But I usually had a little bit of leakage whenever we didn't "fasten". Biggest thing will be are you using PUL covers or Wool. If you are using Wool, I would definitely fasten. PUL washes up really quick and can you use it again within a couple of hours, wool takes a little longer to dry.
#42 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 06:58 PM

Thanks girls!

I think I'll grab a snappi or two just for good measure. I don't have any wool covers, but if it helps with leakage, I might as well.

Now, how about washing brand new ubcpfs? I have heard that you need 5 hot washes to properly strip them, would you all agree with this? I am holding off on washing mine till I get a few more.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#43 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 07:16 PM

Yes, unbleached prefolds take a LONG prep time. One way to cut the time down is to turn your hot water heater up as HIGH as possible and use Tide (but not a lot or you'll have sudsing for a week :LOL). Both will strip the oils quickly. Just remember to turn your water heater BACK down, don't want to scald anyone.
#44 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 10:14 PM

So the whole idea with the microfleece is to use it as a liner and it wicks the urine away from the skin into the diaper, right?

Does poop wash out of it well, and does it breathe? I'm just thinking about the fact that it's usually made of a synthetic fiber.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, experienced CD'ers!

jen

#45 of 72 Old 08-09-2004, 10:19 PM

Poop washes out well out of Microfleece and any fleece for that matter. The more solid poop will even fall off easier from the fleece when you are dumping the contents. That's why I like the Happy Heinys so much or any other diaper that is fleece on the inside. I have 2 yards of microfleece to cut up into liners.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#46 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 12:31 AM

Yes, the microfleece wicks urine away from the skin and into the soaker.

The fleece is very breathable. We always use it for nighttime since we don't change Jack from when he goes to sleep until he wakes up 10-12 hours later. His bum is soft, smooth, cool and dry in the morning (unless he poops :LOL) when we don't use the fleece... he doesn't sleep as restful, his bum is clammy and often a little bit red from the the wetness in the morning.

Some people don't like to use it on principle because its a "synthetic". Some children do react to the microfleece, just as some react to wool or hemp. I think it comes down to personal preferance.
#47 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 02:01 AM

A fleece liner can really make a difference overnight or if you are going out for a while. Keeps baby much more dry. I really like pocket dipes like fuzzybuns for night, because they are so easy to use and only fleece is in contact with the baby's skin. But also don't underestimate the convenience at night (when baby is really little) of just laying him/her bare butted on a couple of dipes! We used to do that with Jack if it looked like he was getting a little red or irritated. (Yes, we put him on his tummy at night, but we were right next to him!) Then when he would pee his little bit, I would just take the top dipe off and toss it off the bed until morning. This obviously doesn't work when they can move around on their own!
#48 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 AM

Can you pick up a peri bottle at the store? I'm assumming I'll get one at the hospital, but just in case I don't for some reason, is there somewhere to pick one up? Or a similar type bottle? I do have a little squirt bottle from Happy Tushies for the diaper bag.

~~~

I had my baby shower this weekend and I took a couple of dipes to show off since the hostess mentioned some guests had asked about them. (I asked for no diapers/wipes.) They were a big hit! I took a newborn loveybums fitted (in the PRR monkeys print) with a NB proraps cover, modeled by a teddy. And then a small green fuzzi bunz. I am pretty mainstream by this board's standards (as are my friends) so it's great to feel supported in my choices. I think some of my friends may look into cloth in the future with their (future) babies now that they've seen the new options available. We are in the Bay Area, so all are environmentally concious!
#49 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 11:47 AM

What size do you cut your microfleece into for liners? I don't think I have the patience to go to any more rummage sales and look for old sweatshirts, so I will probably hit a fabric store. Heather, your 2 yards will = how many liners? And how many do you all think would be a good start, since all we currently have are cotton liners?

thank you!!!!

j

#50 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM

Jen I am not sure how many liners I can get out of 2 yards. I am definitely not sewing savy LOL. Right now I am planning on ordering 2 dozen preemie prefolds and 2 dozen infant prefolds. I am hoping to get at least 40 liners out of the 2 yards. I will probally know better once I get the prefolds into my hot little hands.

BTW I got two small ClothBaby AIOs and a small Mollytog Fitted (I thought it was supposed to be a large AIO) in the mail. I forgot I had paid for those.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#51 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 05:25 PM

I'll measure the liners I have at home that I bought last time, because they are the perfect size and I'll let you both know how big they are!

Jen - I bought my microfleece on sale on line. The color is a really pukey green, but I figured, who is really going to be looking at them?
#52 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 05:36 PM

I got my birth kit and there's a peri bottle, so I'll try that out for awhile!

There was a thread on the diapering forum about what to stuff pocket dipes with. Someone mentioned MOE...what does that stand for????? Also, where do you get JoeyBunz???

Thanks
#53 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 05:45 PM

On this one page at Baby Belle Bottoms, they've got the fuzzi bunz inserts, which I like (plus they are cheaper than the Joey Bunz and you can use them in any pocket dipe), they've got the Joey Bunz and they have the Fuzzi Bunz stay dry liners (this are the ones I have, and the size works out great - (13 X 5.5). Plus, now I'm eyeing that Fuzzibunz mattress pad...
#54 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the link Sarah!

This shows how much I still need to learn...What's the difference between a liner and a doubler??? Is it just the thickness??
#55 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 07:27 PM

A liner typically doesn't have any absorbing layer. It will be a single layer of microfleece, silk or wool. The wool liner is actually a form of doubler, it isn't placed against the skin, it is placed within the soaker section of the diaper to boost the absorbancy of the diaper material (confusing?? ).

A doubler is an addictional insert to boost absorbeancy. It will consist of several layers of an absorbing material. Flannel, cotton knit, cotton terry, hemp, BKT or combination of such, pretty much anything that will absorb. Some doublers are topped with microfleece or suedecloth.

There are two kinds of 'soakers'. One refers to a knitted cover (usually made of wool but can be acrylic) and the other refers to the absorbing section of material of a fitted or AIO.

Oh MOE refers to 'Mother Of Eden" which is the company name for FuzziBunz.

Did that make sense?
#56 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
Did that make sense?

SURE!

:LOL yes, it did. There are just so many things to know about CD'ing!

jen

#57 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 07:31 PM

#58 of 72 Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 PM

OK, here are pictures of my changing area... I'm so excited! All I'm missing is the diaper pail and some liners.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TRszcsWz4Q

Savannah
#59 of 72 Old 08-11-2004, 12:32 AM

Thanks Samantha!
#60 of 72 Old 08-12-2004, 02:08 AM

Savannah, I love how you have the changing area set up on the vanity! Our bath doesn't have the counter space, so we have our changing area in the nusery. I hope this isn't too much of a problem later on when we need to mini-shower!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page