Anyone obsessing about names, like me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 07-05-2004, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the last two weeks this is all I can think about. Partly because I have a feeling we are having a boy and we cannot find one that we LOVE. There are plenty that we like, but there hasn't been one that has hit us. Anyone want to share?

Girls:
Iris *
Sadie*
Katja
Ivy
Audrey

Boys...with hesitation...
Ezra
Asher
Jude
Jackson (or Jack)
Saul

Opinions welcome!

Edited to remove Raven and Aslin from the boys names...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 66 Old 07-05-2004, 08:40 AM

I like Audrey for a girl, but I'm biased. My dd is Isabelle Audrey! teehee!

I'm finding the second boy name to be harder to come up with, too. We liked more girl names, and still had some on the short list after Isabelle.

On your list, I like Asher and Jude. Depends on last name, too, and middle. Our last name starts with a SCH, so Asher was ruled out.
#3 of 66 Old 07-05-2004, 12:14 PM

Sadie is what all of the 4th grade girls want me to name a daughter!

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#4 of 66 Old 07-05-2004, 11:51 PM

I personally love Nicolas Christian, tee hee... And our next boy will be named for the grandfathers, William Douglas.

But from your list, I like Asher, Jude and Jackson best.

Sadie and Ivy are my favorites of your girl names... We're doing family names there, too.
#5 of 66 Old 07-05-2004, 11:55 PM

Ugh! I had this nice long post typed out and my computer just decided to spontaneously restart. : :

We haven't really discussed names but in passing. Guess it's something we really need to start doing.

We of course have a girl's name all picked out, have since we were pregnant with Jackson. Of course we are having a boy. I'm really protective about the girl's name, everyone that I've ever mentioned it too has said "oooh I love that name" and I don't really want a popularity surge on it. When we found out that Radish is a boy, David said right then "well maybe we will have four..." That's the first time he's really considered more than 3 children. He worries about being able to afford college and the finacials with having a really large family. We want to be able to travel.

We had a long list with Jack. The biggest problem we were having wasn't a name that we both liked, it was too many names that we both liked!

I was about as far along with Jack as I am right now when I suddenly started thinking of him in my head as Jack. Before that we'd been referring to him as "Peanut". :LOL For about a week, I didn't say anything to David then I finally mentioned to him that for some reason I kept thinking of him as "Jack". He said he really liked that name. We decided on the more formal Jackson because we wanted a formal name and not a nickname. It was more "southern gentleman" sounding which David really liked and it's a family name on my side (General Stonewall Jackson is my great great great great uncle... doesn't get more "southern" than that. It was about a week before he was born that we decided on the middle name of Grey (suggested by a friend actually). David didn't want to use any of the names off of our boy list because he wanted to still use them as "first" name of another child since the middle name doesn't get use much.

He also has this weird quirk about middle names that are "too long", this coming from a guy with a middle name Ray. The names can't be to "repetitive" sounding. Like a middle name can't end in -er because our last name is Hunter. :

Of course off your list I'm partial to Jackson.

Our list from Jackson:
Calvin (I'd love to have a little blond menace like Calvin :LOL)
James (David's grandfather's name but also we have 3 friends that are named James so they would all think its because of them. : I liked the nickname Jamie but David wasn't sure about that.)
Gavin
Alexander
Christopher
Lyle (my grandfather's name, as a middle name)
Nicholas
#6 of 66 Old 07-06-2004, 12:18 AM

Not obsessing yet, but sure it will happen soon!

From your lists I love the names Iris and Ivy for girls. Jackson and Asher for boys.

We havent even really started talking about names yet for some reason. Its so hard to choose!
#7 of 66 Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the replies! Asher is a popular one!!! I like it too.

Plantmommy, I like Audrey too, just trying to convince my dh that is as wonderful as I think it is. Audrey and Isabelle sound nice together...

Jen, that is funny! I should ask more kids!

msrog, I like the idea of family names too. Jack was my dh's dad and that is a big contender (or Jackson). Unfortunately all the other names are just really boring or too french... But we are considering Nikolai too.

Mum2tori, Jackson Grey is a great name. Names are tough!

Mom2baldie, I think I started picking out names before I even tested positive! It's probably good to wait this long though, I'm waiting for a *sign*...teehe...
#8 of 66 Old 07-06-2004, 07:35 AM

I never got too obsessive this time but my husband did. I think we've decided now so I can give you some of our rejects if you like.

I love Jude- it was my number one but dh said no way

Casper
Silas
Cassius

hmmm...that's all I can come up with now, I know there were more

My son's name is Boaz Jackson. Jackson is my FIL's middle name too. Our children all have family names for middle names.

For a boy we have chosen Elias James and for a girl it will be Willa Blithe
#9 of 66 Old 07-06-2004, 04:06 PM

I'm fine with boys names, but am starting to obsess about girls names. We can't think of ANYTHING that we really love. Ds name is Jack Edwin, and I just love it. All we can come up with for a girl's name is just something that we don't hate. We decided not to think about it for a couple of months, since we weren't getting anywhere, but know I'm starting to get worried as time passes. I would like to have at least a couple of options before this baby is born, otherwise if it is a girl, I fear it will take weeks for her to get a name!
#10 of 66 Old 07-06-2004, 04:56 PM

We have had 4 complete names picked out for months and now, near the end I am questioning them!!!

I haven't broken down and looked through the name book lately, but have thought about it.
We have 2 girls names.. first and middle and 2 boys names... first and middle. One of the things i have tried to do lately is to ask the baby what names it likes.... I sit and touch my tummy and think or say the names out loud and try to gauge if I get more / less kicks for any names. It's kinda fun, but probably totally random.

There seems to be one name in particular i have gotten more reaction to than any other. There's also a particular song that has this same name in it, which i get stuck in my head ALL THE TIME! The name itself is pretty common, (and a family name), but we want to spell it really weird.

On a side note, my friend Kristi named her son Korbin Travis. It is a nice name and all, but they got the name from the movie "The Fifth Element" The main character's name is Corbin Dallas. Hummmm. Not sure what i think about it, but hey, he's not my kid, is he!

Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#11 of 66 Old 07-06-2004, 05:57 PM

From your list, I like Sadie and Jackson (one of my picks, but not my DH)

We'll never have a girl, since we are stopping with three, but our favorite name was Lainey. It is usually short for Elaine, but we were going to have it short for Eliane. Oh well!

We're still stuck on a boy name which scares me since my second had no name for three days, then a different name for three days, and finally his own name. We're very indecisive!!
#12 of 66 Old 07-07-2004, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

I find it very interesting that no one wants to divulge their names...Not that that is a problem, I just find it kind of funny, and curious.

I am liking Jude more and more too. Although the history of the name throws me off... I still like it.

One really good book I have found for names is the "Cool names for Babies" book. Great names in there.
#13 of 66 Old 07-07-2004, 01:39 AM

David and I honestly have only really discussed actual names twice. He said we should start a "new" list. Start from scratch with no preconceived notions. Okay, sounds fair...

His first suggestion... Christopher. (psst honey that was on Jack's list too and it was his suggestion that time). That conversation was just before memorial weekend we were driving.

Second conversation: David mentions he really likes the name Nicholas ( psst guess what... that's right on the list before, but my suggestion that time). We also discussed James again. I really like the nickname Jamie for a boy (must be my scottish heritage coming out ). This was about 2 weeks ago.

We haven't really sat down and talked about it again. : :
#14 of 66 Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 AM

Well, I have had my names picked out for a while...I don't mind telling them here because I don't think it will matter! My kids names were all "original" when I named them, but became super popular that next year! I know my boy name is popular now, but I have been saving it for 6 years, and back then it was not as common.
For a boy, we are using Jackson Henry. Jackson because we like the name jack, and my favorite to place to go when I was pregnant with Lilly was Stone Mt in Georgia. We went every weekend....there is a huge carving on the side of the mountain and one of the generals depicted is Stonewall Jackson...Henry is my DH grandfathers middle name.
For a girl, I was going to use Amelia Joanne. Amelia because I love it, and Joanne was my moms sister who died when they were little kids.

Okay, I revealed!! Maybe more would want to reveal on the yahoo board where there is limited views??

Caroline
#15 of 66 Old 07-07-2004, 02:54 PM

If this is a boy, we are naming him Eli. It is my great-grandfather's name and I have always loved it. We were going to use my mil maiden name of Cole for a middle name, but we overheard my bil and sil saying that they want to use it for a first name, so we're going to think up something else. I don't want to use up all the "good" family names! If Jack had been a girl, we would have used Maya Isabel, but now I know about 4 Mayas under the age of 3, so I don't want to use it now.

If I was sure that I wasn't having any more babies, I would use Ellen for a girl's name this time, but I can't give up the name Eli for the theoretical third child!
#16 of 66 Old 07-08-2004, 12:57 PM

Well, Ellen is a lovely name, and should be used as frequently as possible.
#17 of 66 Old 07-10-2004, 02:47 PM

I am ready to divulge, heh heh...

(Like Caroline, our names were picked out 6+ years ago, and weren't at all common, so it has been VERY AGGRAVATING to watch them become more and more popular. Grrrr. But don't worry, I won't be upset with any of you for deciding to use them... They really are pretty!)

Twin girls: (That's what I'm assuming we're having, though we aren't peeking

McKenna Rose, and Michela (pronounced Mikayla) Alana (pronounced aLAAHna)

McKenna is the last name of my four half siblings. Rose is my father's mother's name (died about 4 years ago). McKenna was going to have Rhoda as a middle name: My mom's dad has a little sister he loves named Rhoda, and he used to call my mom Rhoda all the time accidentally, to where it's now kindof a pet name for her. (Mom and her mom are named Dorothy. Sorry. Not gonna happen. And my mom's middle name is Louise.) But Rhoda was too old fashioned for dh, and I kept singing the Roto-Rooter song every time I said "Rhoda Rogers." Also, Rhoda means Rose anyway, so there you go...

Michela is my dh's mom's name (still living). She's Italian, from Venice. It also sounds incredibly cute with McKenna, as far as twin names go. Alana is a name I thought I invented (though have since seen in name books), a variation of my dh's middle name Alan. (He wouldn't let me name any of the kids Matthew or Alan. Weirdo. Didn't even like the boy name I also invented, Matson. Get it, son of Matt? Harumph.)

Our next boy will be William Douglas, but I already said that in an earlier post.

Right now, McKenna is my Baby A, on my left side, and Michela is Baby B, on the right. Cute, eh?
#18 of 66 Old 07-10-2004, 07:00 PM

From your list, I like Iris and Jude. Jude was one of my choices for a boy, but I guess it reminded dh of a kid in school he wasn't too fond of. Someone else mentioned Silas, I like that one too!

We're thinking this baby will be Miles Xavier (Zavier). If the baby turns out to be a girl, she'll be Cecelia Soleil ( after my great grandmother). both of these names will be used only if baby likes them of course
#19 of 66 Old 07-10-2004, 08:59 PM

Boys names are harder, aren't they?!

If we have a girl, she'll be Elizabeth Ann, after both of our moms and we'll probably call her Libby.

For a boy we have a list about 11 names long but none that really feels just right. Noah is sure we're having a boy and wants to name him Bodhi. Other boy possibilities include: Alexander, Theodore, Gabriel, ******, Miles, Tobias, and more that I can't think of right now.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#20 of 66 Old 07-11-2004, 02:07 PM

I love the name Jude, too!

My MIL had three boys, then a girl, and then she was pg with her 5th. When she was pg w/ the 5th, her father was dying of cancer, and his name is Charles. She desparately wanted another boy so she could name him Charles after her dad. So, being a strict Catholic obsessed with Saints, she prayed to St. Jude (who is the patron Saint of lost causes, or desparate hope), and promised St. Jude that if he would bless her with a boy, she would also give him the namesake Jude.
Of course, she had a boy, named Charles Jude! And that boy is my husband.

Donny is also named Donald Jude.

I think we discussed this AGES ago, but in early pregnancy, my husband was dead set on naming this baby Rex if it was a boy.
I would not have it!
So I had to come up with something really good that would change his mind, and Finn did the trick!
Finley James as a formal name.
Though now, we are thinking that Finley sounds "off" with our last name, Bethke. Finley Bethke. Though we know we will call him Finn.

What do you think.....should we name him:
*Finley
*Finlay(pronounced the same as Finley)
*Finnigan
*Finnian

As a side note, he would have been Bridget if he were a girl!
#21 of 66 Old 07-11-2004, 08:43 PM

Finnigan James Bethke flows very nicely and has a nice rhythm to it.

Jen, whose name also has the same meter (3 syllables - 1 syllable - 2 syllables)

#22 of 66 Old 07-11-2004, 08:57 PM

I vote Finnigan! It's on my list, I love Finn as a nickname. But it's a no go with my husband.

I just mentioned Tobias to him and he said "it's interesting" so we may be onto something. I'm just not convinced Elias is the right name. As silly as it sounds, I think when it's written out it doesn't look like it has enough letters.
#23 of 66 Old 07-12-2004, 11:32 PM

"There was an old man named Michael Finnegan..." have you heard that cute song on the Disney play tunes tape? hee hee... I also really like that name, Ms. Bethke =O)

Hey, someone mentioned (Anna?) the name Corbin earlier... I didn't think much of it, but then the next morning I was reading my Bible in Mark and actually saw that name in there (spelled Corban), Hebrew for "a gift devoted to God." All of a sudden I realized I like that name; and when I asked dh what he thought, he also likes it. So yay, now we're onto something for the boy after next...
#24 of 66 Old 07-12-2004, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
Hey, someone mentioned (Anna?) the name Corbin earlier... I didn't think much of it, but then the next morning I was reading my Bible in Mark and actually saw that name in there...
Yes, but you will also find Gomer and Nimrod in the bible, as well. Old Testament, of course, but biblical nonetheless...

Hm.

jen

#25 of 66 Old 07-12-2004, 11:43 PM

I like everyones names so far!

If we have a boy, his name will be Micah Alexander Stone. I wanted something that didnt end in a Y or N, since we already have a RileY and PaityN and I am just really anal about things. Alexander is a name I dreamt of a long time ago when I was still in the 1st trimester and bleeding a lot. If this baby wants to be named Alex, then I cant deny him of it...

I have no idea about girls names yet, but I like the names Karina, Skyler, Abigail...

I absolutely can not wait to find out what gender this baby is! It is almost driving me insane!!!
#26 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 11:57 AM

so, I got out the Baby Name book again.....

the names we have been confident about are suddenly.... iffy in my mind!
Jerome, his brother and his Dad all have the initials JDR so we have been intending to name a boy JDR.

Here's a few of our boy name ideas
1. Jonovan Damien Rundall
2. Jehmes Digory Rundall (pronounced James)
3. Jaron, Jerrin or Jerron Digory Rundall

*Jonovan is a slight change on Jonathan (my older brother who was stillborn / premature)
*James in Jerome's dad's name, and the name I get stuck in my head all the time (song from James and the Giant Peach)
* funny thing about the name, Digory... it's my teddy bears name! Yes, I still sleep with a teddy bear.

Girl name ideas
1. Mielle Anne Rundall (cool nicknames Mel, Elle, Mia)
2. Jayda Diane Rundall (female JDR)

(originally we planned on Amber Mielle Rundall... but Amber?)

*Mielle means honey in spanish and french
*and both Diane and Anne are a nod to my name.

So, is it crazy to be doubting names we have liked for so long??? any thoughts guys???

Anna Banana

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#27 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana girl
So, is it crazy to be doubting names we have liked for so long??? any thoughts guys?
Um, no.

I had a girl name picked out - I was totally set on it a year and a half ago. Alexa. From the song "The Downeaster Alexa" by Billy Joel. That was it, there was no discussion. It was Alexa. And Jo indicated that she wasn't in love with it. So I figured that meant that we had to keep thinking, and slowly I weaned myself from my love of this name. When I brought up girl names in the spring, Jo said "I thought we had agreed on Alexa!". Oh. By this time I was no longer in love with the name and have been working on finding another one I'm in love with that Jo doesn't hate the way she hates Phoebe, Norah and Lydia. But now she's set on Alexa! what to do?!

I'm just curious and am not putting down your choices, but why do you want to name a child Jehmes instead of James? His whole life he's going to be correcting people who are spelling it, and folks are going to mispronounce it. Now before people jump all over me defending alternative spellings, I just want to *know* if there is a reason. So save your admonitions, please.

Amber is a beautiful name, but if you say "Amber Rundall" there is no natural break between the names because the first ends in R and the last begins in R. So it sounds like Amberundall.

Lynsey, I thought that the "Y"s in Riley's and Paityn's names were nods to your name!

jen

#28 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 03:14 PM

That's a good question, I wish I had a really good answer! Mostly we just didn't want our child to have the same name as a whole bunch of other kids. I personally was interested in spelling it Jahmes but Jerome likes it better as Jehmes.
Do you guys think it will really be a hassle for him if we spell his name weird???? I think it's pretty.
anna

#29 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 03:37 PM

Anna,

I just wanted to tell you that for me personally, its not a big deal to have *my* name spelled differently. Everyone always thinks its Lindsey, but I LOVE the way my parents decided to spell it!

We also spelled Paityns name kindof weird (instead of Peyton or Payton), but again, I think its beautiful, so I dont regret it - and I hope she doesnt either!

Also, I love Mielle for a girls name! Really pretty. And Jaron was another name that we were thinking about using instead of Riley - we were going to spell it Jarren though...
#30 of 66 Old 07-13-2004, 04:03 PM

"Also, I love Mielle for a girls name! Really pretty." - Lynsey

My favorite thing about the name Mielle is singing the song "Michelle ma belle" and substituting Mielle for Michelle! - I must admit this is my personal favorite name, BUT I really think I'm having a boy.....

When I went back to the baby book the other day, Jaron kept leaping out at me, and the baby kept kicking me, that's why it is "back on the list". It has a nice ring "Jaron Rundall" hummmm...

Anna

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page