Twins??!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-05-2004, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I, at 33 weeks, just found out I am carrying twins.

I am still in shock.

I was surprised at my last midwife appointmentt hat I had gained 45 pounds, but also had swollen feet so not a big deal. I gained 35 lbs with my son who was born 2 years ago. Then I measured at 38 cm...my midwife immediatley said that I should get an ultrasound. Never had one before. So there are two in here. Both 4.5 lbs.

Anyone have some good resources about twins??? Is there a forum on this website for people who have twins?

I have to decide whether to still do a homebirth among many other decisions that I don't know I have to make yet.

Crazy.
#2 of 13 Old 08-05-2004, 06:25 PM

Whoa! Congrats!!!

I suspected twins early on in this pregnancy, and had every intention of still doing a hb, although it would have been slightly more complicated, since my midwife is a CNM and couldn't legally attend with compromising her license. So, we were going to have a LM attend "officially" and my midwife would be there "as an observer".

Luckily, in my case, it is just a singleton. I am ready for my 4th, but not ready for a 4th and 5th! :LOL
#3 of 13 Old 08-05-2004, 06:25 PM

Wow, welcome and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is shocking and wonderful news! I found out "late" at 15 weeks. (Lots of moms find out at their first u/s for dating the fetus, at like 7 or 8 weeks.)

You are blessed to even have the option to have a home birth for twins. Here it is a big no no. In fact, when I finally get to have my home births, I will not consent to u/s just because of a possibility of twins. I will take my chances!

For starters, there is a forum here at MDC with moms of twins, so you can ask questions of those who have been there and done that. It's not very busy, though: Look under Parenting Issues: Parenting Multiples. It's in the section above the "I'm Pregnant" link.

My other two favorite twin forums (though much more mainstream and CS happy) are: www.twinsmagazine.com ("message boards" link) and www.twinstuff.com ("community" link toward the bottom). My fave of those is Twins Magazine. When you visit the pregnant with twins board, come introduce yourself in our "September twins" thread.

I really liked this article, "Can a twin birth be a positive experience?" by a midwife: http://www.radmid.demon.co.uk/twins.htm
... and this one, "unassisted births of unexpected twins": http://www.twinstuff.com/unexpected.htm

Enjoy the ride, and keep us posted! Maybe I can live my home birth dream through you!
#4 of 13 Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 PM

Wow....congratulations!! I stumbled on your post and just had to write. I can't imagine finding out at 33 weeks....but I didn't even make it to 33 weeks (I made it to 32 weeks, 6 days). So good for you for getting this far. My advice to you, because you don't have much time (twins are often, though not always, premature, but twin pregnancies are considered to be full term at 37 weeks) is to get prepared now! There's a small discussion on here about good books for someone expecting twins: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=twin+book

I highly recommend both books. Karen's book was a lifesaver for me because we had serious problems breastfeeding. Since my girls were 7 weeks premature, they took a long time (3 months) to finally learn to get full meals off me. Barbara Luke's book is really good for preparing for twins. She even has a list of things you need for twins--what you need 2 of, what you can live with just one of, etc.

Also, it might help you to find a local mother's of twins club in your area. Mine has a buddy program for mothers who are expecting multiples, and I learned a lot from other women who had BTDT. You might be able to find a local club at the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs' website at: http://www.nomotc.org/. Or, Google "twins club & [your town]" or something similar. I'm an AP mama of twins and most of the women in my MOMs group are not, so we don't have all that much in common as far as parenting philosophies, but I still learn quite a bit from them.

In a way, you're lucky. I found out that I was having twins at 6 weeks. The first trimester of a twin pregnancy is really touch & go and I was terrified something bad was going to happen. I had a rough pregnancy, but thankfully everything turned out ok and I now have two happy, healthy, beautiful girls. You didn't have to worry about all the "what ifs" during the first trimester.

Get your rest now (because you won't get much after they're born), eat lots of protein, drink lots of water and pamper yourself! There is a section here on Parenting Multiples at: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=158.

Congratulations again! And welcome to the sisterhood of the motherhood of multiples.
#5 of 13 Old 08-05-2004, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it is surprising I didn't find out sooner.

I measured a little bigger each prenatal appointment, but not too big until this last one. Everyone teased me about it because I was showing so much earlier this time. But I am only 5'2" and started at 100 lbs and just thought the second time round was different.

I had an easy first trimester. My second trimester was tough with back problems, esp since I wanted to do so much outside and I was frustrated that I was big so fast. This third trimester I have been tired and now I feel like it will be short...even if I do go full term since I feel like I have lots to do to get ready! Lately I had been getting kicked all over the place. I don't know where the rest of these babies will go on me if I do go full term! There is not much left of me.

Thanks for all the resources. I am ordering the books today and will just have to go with it.

I think I do have an option of having a home birth if my midwife can find someone else to come with her. I live in rural Minnesota and my midwife it 1.5 hr away. The next one would probably have to come from the Twin Cities - 2.5 hours away. We'll see.

Still sinking in. Just found out this morning. :
#6 of 13 Old 08-12-2004, 07:14 PM

So, now that you've had a little time for this to sink in.... how are you doing?

I had an ultrasound at about 18 weeks to prove to my doctor that I wasn't carrying twins. I was measuring pretty far ahead early on, but am now spot on normal.

I remember how overwhelmed I was at the prospect of twins, there are many more complicated decisions ahead of you, and i wish you the best of luck and health and happiness! what an exciting time for you and your family!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#7 of 13 Old 08-12-2004, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Getting better. Both babies are head down now which is a huge relief. At first, the lowest baby was breech, so I was looking at a c-birth. I was planning a home birth with water and really excited to recreate the wonderful birth of Gavin. I think we will have these babies in the hospital with a nurse midwife and a doctor who is a friend of mine. We live 35 miles away and my midwife felt it was too far away. She would do a homebirth closer and we have friends closer, but if I am not at home anyway, the hospital might be the best option. I am going to try to haul in a big pool and make the hospital work out to be comfortable. It is a tough decision to make and hard to give up the home birth, but also only a few hours out of my life and do feel like it will be the most comfortable place to be for everyone with the circumstances.

I still get a little dizzy with the aspect of all of a sudden having 3 children...in not too long of a time. I worry about Gavin, but also have faith that he will do just great. I am excited, but feel like I have lots of preparation yet to do...house stuff and things I won't have time to deal with after. Mostly though I am just going with it. What else am I going to do?

thanks for the warm wishes. It is so fun to talk with other moms
#8 of 13 Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 PM

Wow, what a fun surprise! I keep meaning to ask my midwife if she's ever attended a surprise twin birth. That's great that you're making a hospital birth more comfortable by bringing a pool. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Take Care,

Heather

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#9 of 13 Old 08-22-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I am in my 35th week, heading into week 36 on Wed. I am working towards a comfortable hospital birth although it is hard to give up the home birth option. Been working through logistics - getting a pool in the room, finding out what monitoring will take place. I have a nurse midwife working with me and my doctor which has been great. Learning lots of stuff and trying to trust that everything will be just fine.

Getting excited to have twins....
#10 of 13 Old 08-22-2004, 02:23 PM

That really is exciting, Fernlink!! Glad you're "embracing" the hospital birth. I wish I could get a pool in my room! They are not big enough, nor does the hospital allow it. Grrr. But I have good feelings and peace about the whole thing; and a confidence that it will all go well for me. I know yours will turn out super, too!

I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow! Will your midwife/docs let you go as long as your body wants to, or are they pressuring to induce early? I have mine holding off until 40 weeks at least. Oh, and I had my first "go to the hospital" dream last night.
#11 of 13 Old 12-21-2004, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure why I am posting, but I came here with my story when I found out I was having twins and felt like I left it hanging. I just came back to this forum for the first times...because I did have twins...August 29th...at 36 1/2 weeks...but I lost one to a fatal heart disease, HLHS. My story is here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=192115 It had nothing to do with the birth, so don't worry all you ladies with twin babies.

I just felt like I had started something here with you all. I was so scared to have twins. And you all helped me feel better about it.

And for all you mamas scared to have twins, realize that there is so much love in you and in any siblings, enough for many babies. It really is a blessing and although I will always live in awe of those raising twins, I think it is not as scary anymore.

I saw my son love both those babies with all his heart and soul. He still does. I realize I had enough of everything to care for two babies.

I am thankful that I began to get excited to raise twins before we found out about her condition.

I wish you all luck!!! I will be back here to hear your stories...
#12 of 13 Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 PM

Kristi...I just saw your post. Congrats on the birth of Anika. I am so sorry for your loss of Nora. I am glad you posted, I will keep you in my thoughts.

~C~
#13 of 13 Old 01-07-2005, 03:16 PM

i'm so sorry for your loss
nora and annika are beautiful names...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page