Chat thread from 8/9 until... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 269 Old 08-11-2004, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lynsey, my options are pretty much the same, well except #4, I think. I was + with Noah, had the IV in the hospital, and we were all fine (no thrush even, which I was worried about. I did take acidophilous to avoid it.) This time I think I am planning on being tested and if + will do alternative remedies first. I haven't researched much on this yet but I know there are lots of things to try. Then we'll have IV antibiotics on hand but I will only get them if I develop a risk factor in labor. This is/was a tough decision for me. I don't want to take antibiotics if I don't need to and the risk of baby getting sick, even with a GBS+ mom, is very low. But then if MY baby is the one to get sick then the risk wasn't too low, you know what I mean? This seems to be the toughest decision I've had to make with this pregnancy.

I have lots of itchy poison something and it is driving me crazy!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#62 of 269 Old 08-11-2004, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana girl
P.S. I think you win the prize for the longest freaking post ever!!! te he heee.
Glad someone else won that distinction! :LOL

Shannon, holy cow! If I were you I would be looking for the nearest rock to crawl under. To you, and all of the mamas who are caring for other children while you are pregnant (especially Melanie, looking after 6!), I stand in awe, I don't know how you all do it. Taking trips and running errands and everything... sheesh. And some of you working on top of all that.

Oh - Shannon - have you ever tried Apis mellifica for mosquito bites? It's good for any red, swollen insect bite that ails you. I know not everyone is into homeopathy, but it might help... *shrug*

Lynsey - I haven't completely decided what to do if my GBS test comes back + . I think I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I found this at gentlebirth.org:

So, in this area, some OBs and pediatricians have a new approach; for cases of prolonged rupture of membranes, they're only giving antibiotics if the mom runs a fever. Otherwise, they just do a simple blood test on the baby (can be done from cord blood or a heelstick if they miss the cord blood opportunity) to check for C-reactive protein. This is an indicator of an acute infection. If it's negative, everyone can be reassured
that baby's fine, even though mom didn't get antibiotics; if it's positive (for whatever reason!), then baby will be appropriately treated for an acute infection. This has great potential for focusing the treatment where it is most needed and not exposing all the others to unnecessary side effects and increased risks from resistant bacteria.

My midwife had never heard of that.

Well, Jo is home and we're going to my friend's for dinner (to see their new house and teach her husband how to cook steak!), so I'd better run... waddlewaddlewaddle,

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#63 of 269 Old 08-11-2004, 08:01 PM

(((((((SHANNON))))))))))))
Hang in there, mama!
#64 of 269 Old 08-11-2004, 08:08 PM

My bedroom has carpet, woot! I did get a really nasty headache though. Between the lovely new carpet smell and the aftershave/cologne that the one installer was wearing, bam! Horrible headache. I'm having a half caf latte which is helping, as did getting out of the house. I have the bedroom door closed and the windows open, so hopefully that will help air things out.

My hips hurt. I noticed this when I went to the grocery. Of course, it could just be because of the cool damp weather. The roofer finally showed up and said our roof is just fine, it's not a roof problem, most likely it's a plumbing problem. I guess we'll know when my husband gets back from Oregon and goes up in the attic to look.

Shannon, your situation does sound pretty awful, I hope the renovations get done soon!

I should start my dinner soon. Food would be good....
#65 of 269 Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 PM

My decision about GBS:

Last pregnancy I was +. I took natural remedies and it was still +. I chose to do antibiotics only if there were risk factors, ruptured membranes for a long time. I didn't need them.

This time I tested + when they did my other tests around 4 months. I'm choosing not to test again. I'm sure I'm still +. I'm not really doing anything for it. I will treat if there are risk factors. I hate the thought of going in to the hospital for antibiotics during labour. (A few years ago, I had intravenous antibiotics for a really bad case of mastitis. The antibiotics made me feel really sick on top of feeling sick because of the mastitis. This is the last thing I need while labouring, that and leaving the house.) I just hope nothing comes up.
#66 of 269 Old 08-11-2004, 11:25 PM

Gosh, Shannon, what a trying month you've had! Ugh. About your husband's commitments -- I understand people are relying on him, but if he explains the situation (that he screwed up, basically, thinking that he could do all that stuff right around when you are due) maybe it would be extra motivation for some compassionate person in charge to find a replacement.
#67 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 12:31 AM

OK, here's my update: OB visit yesterday; forgot to measure my fundal height, but I have gained 30 pounds now. He did my strep B culture and did a vaginal check. Ick! My cervix is quite high, and I think he must have fat hands, haha. (And I've been crampy off and on since the exam. ggrrrr. he better not have tried something funny like strip membranes or something.) He said I'm beginning to efface, but no dilation. No reason to believe labor is coming, though, says he. I believe it, too; Nicolas had me effaced 80 percent and dilated 3 cm for a whole agonizing three weeks! Both babies were head down.

Today, went to the last peri visit (wow). They wouldn't raise the table very far, so predictably, Baby B flipped to transverse and by the end of the session was breech. Grrrr. There is a reason I don't lie flat on my back, nor do I want to labor that way!!! Anyway, no big deal, I think the baby has already settled back head down by this evening. Nice strong heartbeats and "practice breaths".

OK, here's my 35 week Torpedo Belly, haha. http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TRszcsWz6Y
Tonight I measure 50 inches around from my high waist to my belly button, but 52 inches if I measure straight around from my belly button (to top of hips).
#68 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 12:49 AM

Look at that beautiful belly! You look great!

Yesterday must have been the day for appointments. We had one, everything is going well, but my mw had a little doubt about the position of babe. She said she was 75% sure the baby was head down, after feeling around a bit. For some reason, at my last 2 appointments, we haven't been too sure on babies position. Maybe he's still moving around a bit? I feel movements all over. And the stronger ones are up top, so I'm thinking he probably is vertex but just that little doubt gets to me.

hugs to you Shannon, I hope things look up soon!

I must get to bed, way too long of a day today.
#69 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 12:55 AM

Shannon, I'm so glad you got all that off your chest! That's what we're here for, haha. It felt like I was in a boxing match reading your ordeal; right jab, ugh; gut punch, ugh; oh, another to the chin! I'm praying things hurry up and settle down calmly and happily for you, and that DH comes to his senses! =O)

Thanks, ladies, for the great info on + GBS. All I've heard as my options are, IV antibiotics. It will be nice to have some different options to discuss instead! I'm just praying yesterday's swab proves negative. So much lurks to conspire against my plans to labor and deliver UPRIGHT and without intervention with these twins. Grrr. I wish I just had gone with a homebirth and not allowed any ultrasounds, even though I suspected twins all along.

Boy, some of you are so close! CHILL, Danielle! You will not have the baby on the way to the hospital. (Hey, did you read that wild birth story in the July or August board along those lines? hee hee)

Anna, what a monstrous aggravation that your doctor didn't mention the prolonged vacation!

Melanie, hugs! Sounds like the birth is looming large for your dh all of a sudden. I'll bet he has already apologized for blowing up at you like that. If not, I'd definitely bring it up. Heck, one mom can only do so much in her last month of pregnancy! Give us a break! (Oh, and maybe put those kids to work, haha...) I'm glad the appt itself went well.

Lazuli, yay to carpet laid! Boo to dh leaving!

Julia, I hope your coworkers surprise you by pulling off a super shower!

OK, gotta go put up my feet and fold some laundry. Then dishes and bed. Today was BUSY. (Oh, I forgot to mention I met an MDC mama that lives in my town today! We arranged a meeting at the park with our kids, and we all had so much fun. I meet some more on Friday at the same park. I get to "show and tell" with my diapers. It's great having them in that basket; I can just pick it up and take it with me, haha!)
#70 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the hugs and support everyone. It did help to get it off my chest; I've been telling people about what's going on, but just the interesting stuff, not all of the things that are aggravating me.

I had forgotten about the GBS test. I don't remember having it done with #1, and with #2 I did the swab. It was nice being able to do it on my own, but I wasn't sure if I was doing it right or not. I think I'll skip it this time, the midwives here have to follow certain rules that I think are overly restrictive. My test last time was -ve, so I'm not terribly concerned. Jen, I'm going to print that info off and have it with me at my next appointment, it does sound interesting.

Jen, I don't know much about homeopathy, but I would be interested in it for the boys' bites if we need it again. The best remedy I find for mosquito bites is more mosquito bites, so something homeopathic would probably be up my alley for this.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#71 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Anna, that would really tick me off, the Dr. not saying that s/he wouldn't be around anytime close to my EDD! It's like he wanted to get as much of your money as he could before the trip. grrrr!

I think the prodromal labor has begun. I've been having mild cntx for about 45 mins, about 2 mins apart, lasting about a minute. I am NOT getting excited, since this happened with dd for weeks before labor, but instead, I will be encouraged. It made labor much easier. I expect them to peter out fairly soon. Funny thing is, last time it was about the same time; they'd wake me at about 5 am.

However, this makes me think I'd better get serious about getting this baby anterior! He's still typically back to the left side of my tummy.
#72 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Petered out after about an hour, as predicted.

It is so humid here today, and really wet/rainy, dark and dismal. Lousy day to be up from 5 am.
#73 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantmommy
I think the prodromal labor has begun. I've been having mild cntx for about 45 mins, about 2 mins apart, lasting about a minute. I am NOT getting excited, since this happened with dd for weeks before labor, but instead, I will be encouraged. It made labor much easier. I expect them to peter out fairly soon. Funny thing is, last time it was about the same time; they'd wake me at about 5 am.

Ugh, I was up at 5 with the same. But they lasted two hours (and had been going on and off through the night). The back pain was unreal...

BUt you are right, I think all this early stuff makes for an easier labor when the actual time comes....

sleepy-Caroline
#74 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 AM

Well, just got the results of my GBS...positive. Now I ahve to see what I will do. With my quick labors, antibiotics may not be an option, and I am not comfortable playing the "wait and see" thing...

THis sucks.

Caroline
#75 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 11:59 AM

From Plantmommy: "However, this makes me think I'd better get serious about getting this baby anterior! He's still typically back to the left side of my tummy." I thought that back to the left was the right position? That is what I interpret from Spinningbabies.com, but I get confused by the diagrams.

I had my mw in-home visit yesterday and it went great. She is happy about the baby's position and about my health in general.

We talked about GBS, now is the time isn't it?! So, it seems that here in Ontario (Shannon I noticed you are in ON too. ) ...anyway seems that here if you don't test they assume you are positive. Odd! My mw finds it odd too, but she has to go by regulation, so I think I will test and treat if there are risk factors only. Luckily it does not impact the homebirth choice at all. Phew!

I found out I have ab distenstion - basically the abdominal muscles have split as everything moves up to accomodate the baby. It's uncomfortable, but not really a problem. I will be able to exercise it back into shape eventually. So now I am just trying to take it easy. Jen, made me wonder if that is the pain you are experiencing. Apparently it can sting and be irritated if it takes a while to happen.

Shannon, I hope things turn around soon and then you feel better for having a place to vent. I feel for you and give you lots of respect for all that you have managed to do without falling apart completely.

Savannah, what a belly! Me thinks those babies will be healthy and strong from the looks of their home. I have my fingers crossed for your ideal birth working out.

Jenn, I would like to know more about homeopathy. Can you recommend a good book for a beginner? Have I asked this before? Sorry. I know you use Wise Women's Herbal. I should get a copy of that too.

Hugs to all,
Julia
#76 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, I'm sorry about the GBS+, Caroline. What does your mw say/suggest?

I'm not testing, and will only fret if there are other risk factors, like prolonged time between membrane rupture and birth (which has never happened with me before) or fever or something.

Julia, I read that about back to the left on spinningbabies.com, too, but I don't understand why the difference? I think completely anterior would still be better, though, so if I can just pay attention to how I sit, etc., then why not, I figure.
#77 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 02:07 PM

Wow, 50" !! But you are having twins... I was at 41" last time I measured, but I only have ONE baby! I wonder if that means my baby will be big?

I'm 35 weeks too, but here's my 34 week belly:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...ag=1&sm=1&sl=0
#78 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 02:45 PM

OK, here's the one whine I'm allowing myself:

MAKE IT STOP HURTING!!!

All right, I'm done now.

Julia and others: the homeopathy book I am using right now is called Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth, and Your Baby's First Year by Miranda Castro. It is a very all-encompassing book with a lot of emphasis on healthy pregnancy. The healthy pregnancy part is kind of redundant when you look at the Wise Woman Herbal and even some other birth books like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It does have a very good, thorough "Complaints" section where you can look up what's bothering you and cross-reference all of the remedies to make sure you get the most exact one for your symptoms (repertorizing). I got mine on eBay for $3.50, it retails for $13.27 on amazon. Miranda Castro also has another general book on homeopathy and since I really like her style of writing and presenting homeopathy, I may try to hunt that one down too.

An article in the Sept/Oct 2003 issue of Mothering recommended the book Homeopathic Medicine at Home: Natural Remedies for Everyday Ailments and Minor Injuries by Maesimund B. Panos, MD and Jane Heimlich. I have not yet located this book locally but it is readily available at eBay, amazon and half.com. Do me a favor, don't outbid me on the one on eBay right now, ok? (My ID is trumpetjen.)

Caroline, I'm sorry to hear that your GBS test came back positive, but don't stress yourself out too bad over it; if you want the antibiotics in labor it only takes 20 minutes, or it can be given to the baby after birth.

Meredith, my little Sprout is still moving around a lot (giving me hope that little Sprout is, indeed, little), especially after I've seen the chiropractor. At my mw appt she asked if she could do a cervical check in order to get a better feel for where the baby was, which she achieved by giving the baby a push on the head. So you're not the only one!

Back to left side of belly is good! When labor starts they're right in position to tuck their heads and be anterior.

Off to go do *something* (anything!),

jen

#79 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Jen, so sorry that your hurting! Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll be keeping my eye out for those.

Caroline, I'm sorry about the positive GBS results. That sucks! Try not to stress about it too much, easier said than done, I know. I have mine to look forward to next week.

Beautiful belly shots! I just measured mine, and I'm at 43" at belly button level! I'm only 34 weeks! I've been feeling smaller with this pregnancy compared to my first one too.

Shannon, I hope things are coming together at your house. I can't imagine your shock to coming home to that. Wow! You're a trooper!

Back to work before we get hit by two more hurricaines! Up to 14" of rain says the local news, and we're in NC! I can't imagine what it will be like in Florida or Georgia.

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#80 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 PM

Thanks Jen for the book titles. I managed to find Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth, and Your Baby's First Year at the library, so I requested it.

The other I could not find, but don't worry I won't compete with your bid. I will see how I do with the first one and then see how I get into it. I should also get a copy of the Wise Woman Herbal for Pregnancy. Oddly they don't have it at my library.

Funny that so many of you are measuring your "waist". I'm not going to, cause I figure it doesn't mean anything. I mean what if you just carry the baby sticking out? That's why they measure fundal height cause it's not dependent on how you carry. It is interesting to read the numbers though.
#81 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 04:41 PM

Hey y'all!

Bopping along, getting stuff done. It's been a productive last 2 days at work, which is nice, but not. I generally like being busy rather than bored, but I'm wearing myself out at work.

Last night I tried to stay up and watch a movie, but we had to turn it off half way thru. You know how an overtired little kid will cry when you try to put them to bed instead of letting then continue to exhaust themselves.... that was me. sniveling and whining about wanting to see what happens next in the movie, crying and sniffling with a silly little quaver in my voice. The more i protested going to bed, the more I proved how badly I needed to go! Jerome was laughing so hard at my ridiculousness, which caused me to laugh and cry in response. Pretty silly, i must admit. BUT I am still dying to see the rest of the movie!!!

Having lots of Braxton hicks again today.... it's funny.... if I had been feeling this sensation this often earlier on, it would have freaked me out. But, now that I'm getting REALLY sick and tired of being pregnant, i almost welcome them. It means my body is getting READY!!! Also, I've become so acustomed to being in discomfort (over the last 8 months) that it doesn't faze me much. That and I'm stubornly insisting to myself that it DOESN'T actually hurt. I'm NOT in Pain... it's just a "strong sensation" This is all part of my masterplan to convince myself that birth doesn't need to hurt... it's all how you perceive it... I'm trying very hard not to let myself perceive this as pain. This is just the beginning!! The beginning of the END!!! Hooray!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#82 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's too bad, Caroline. I hope you can work something out that you're comfortable with. I remember reading or hearing, maybe from my mw, about the gbs test being unreliable, or maybe just that it can come and go? That if you test positive, you might test negative again before the birth. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

plantmommy, what do you mean about paying attention to the way you sit, for baby's position?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#83 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen
plantmommy, what do you mean about paying attention to the way you sit, for baby's position?
http://www.spinningbabies.com Check it out.
But don't get to freaked out about baby positioning... my midwife's response to my questions was to reassure me that it is during labor that the baby gets moved into the "right" position. So, don't sweat it too much!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#84 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Shannon, it's from the website www.spinningbabies.com
#85 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 08:45 PM

Quick fly by post.....

I have a great homeopathic book recommendation. We use homeopathy exclusively in our home and that is how we treated my infertility. Anyway, the best laid out and easy to follow beginner book that I've found is
Homeopathic Remedies by Asa Hershoff. I like it because it is laid out in a way that helps beginners find remedies before their case taking is very good. There's another great children's homeopathic remedies book too, but I can't find it to give you the exact title yet, but I'll get back with it.
#86 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 10:20 PM

Can't. Stop. Eating. I have been ravenous all day, I just can't get enough to eat. Eep! I'm about to go raid the kitchen yet again. Anyone else have days like this?
#87 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 10:58 PM

Savannah-
Love the belly!

Stacy-
What a hotty pregnant mama YOU are!

I suppose one of these days I better post a shot of me, since haven't yet.
#88 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 11:21 PM

Lazuli: hear. you. there. Today I was a total chow hound and needed to stop because I was going to aquacise class and swimming with lots of food in belly = way bad heartburn! Everything i saw in the fridge looked good, and the two eggs + cheese in a burrito was not enough, I had to follow it with a hummus chaser and even a bite of bumble bar (energy bars that the co-op I shop at makes with sunflower and sesame seeds, peanut butter, coconut and honey, MMM). Thank goodness my heartburn was not so bad once we got into the deep end. There were only 2 of us at class tonight.

And swimming for an hour is better than a sitz bath, WHEE! relief!

Shannon - the thing that my midwife emphasises about posture is keeping your belly forward when you're sitting - being Buddha-like, spreading your knees and letting your belly hang forward instead of sitting back. Ladylike-ness must be thrown out the window. And for sleeping, if you can remember it in bleary moments: on your left side, lean forward onto pillows and throw your right knee up and over; on your right side, keep your hips and legs at a right angle to the bed. I honestly don't know if it really works - my kid always readjusts her/himself first thing after I get up and get vertical - but supposedly it works.

It seems that Sprout is still at swim class.

xo, j.

#89 of 269 Old 08-12-2004, 11:22 PM

: : : :

I hear ya, sister. Been there several times myself. Maybe it's because our stomachs are so squished and small you have to keep eating all the time since they don't hold very much. I feel like a freakin' hummingbird.

And on that note, I am off to the kitchen to make a mint chip ice cream cone... :
#90 of 269 Old 08-13-2004, 12:01 AM

Food, food! I don't feel like I even have enough time in the day to eat as much as I want! But I'm trying to watch it though, because I think I sometimes get hungry when I am actually thirsty.

Crazy day - forgot to give Jack his morning AND afternoon meds, so he was a hormonal nightmare by the time I figured it out. We had our friend and her two year old over, we had fun but the house got trashed, of course. Then made dinner with Jack in the sling because he was so out of control. Then helped dh put Jack's new swingset together in the backyard. (New to us, we found a great one used for $30!!!)

I'm so sick of the local news, because they always blow this hurricane business so out of proportion and freak new people out. Now I might be concerned if I were in Tampa, but we are so far inland that anything that comes from the west coast can't really do us that much damage (unless it were a category 5 or something!). Dh works at Home Depot, so you can imagine what his night is going to be like tonight.

Anna - are you going to have internet at home after baby?????

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page