Chat thread from 8/9 until... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2004, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Friday!!!

Anna, have a great weekend! Yes, you MUST get internet at home, ASAP! There are some cheap deals out there.

Getting crampy contrax here too, mostly at the end of the day and at night, in bed. Bleah. But I know this means more prep is happening in there.

DH and I actually talked about names last night, woo-hoo! I think we have a good solid bank of girl names, are pretty set on a boy middle name and have at least one strong boy first name, and a couple we need to chew on for a few days.

My last real "plans" for the summer are tomorrow, some good friends' wedding, I am looking forward to it. Oh, but I guess I also have plans for my BlessingWay next Wed, we are going to do a belly cast beforehand, and henna during the ritual. Fun, fun, fun!

Hope everyone has wonderful weekends!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2004, 02:10 PM

hey everybody,

just a quick note since i'm supposed to be packing. i've been reading and keeping up with you all but haven't had the time to actually post in a few days. we're leaving in an hour or so for a weekend family reunion (dh's side). i'm looking forward to the knitting i'll get to do in the car.

things are good here. just plugging along at 34.5 weeks. i feel like i still have so long to go compared to lots of you guys! my poison ivy (or sumac or whatever it was) is finally gone but i am still very very itchy, especially on my belly. i am wondering if it is PUPPS. i've done some research on line and stocked up on some nettles and dandelion root to try to get rid of it. itching drives me nuts!!

i wonder if i'll come home on sunday to news of babies!!

happy weekend to all,
chrissy

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 08-20-2004, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the GBS links, Linda.

Exciting to hear Plantmommy and Cheryl are experiencing warm-up contrax... Some of you sure are getting close!

Did I mention that the shower my sister decided to hold for me after babies come (grrr) has been subdivided... One of the gals wanted to do the shower beforehand (yay), so she offered to host our circle of friends (like 8 of the 20 I had on the list) for a brunch Saturday. That will be fun! Then I'll REALLY know what I still need to buy... I made a point on this wish list to mention cloth diapers and "no thanks" to disposables. I must have 8 or 10 big bags of disposables already!

(Someone mentioned WalMart takes back everything, so even if they didn't come from there (which I have no idea if they did), I might be able to take them back later and buy something needed, or some cute matching baby outfits or something..)

I was given like 20 medium sized AIOs Wednesday... VERY used; stains galore, some of the outer covers have little holes, aplix in terrible shape. I'm on a quest today to see if I can get the stains out. They might at least last a few wearings??? Whatever, they were free, right? =O)
Old 08-20-2004, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
my poison ivy (or sumac or whatever it was) is finally gone but i am still very very itchy, especially on my belly. i am wondering if it is PUPPS.
Get some Sarna Lotion from a drug store/Walmart. It works great!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:56 PM

Chrissy,

I am going through the same thing and will be getting a dandelion root tincture today. I have more bumps on my side then my stomach though and they are also on my arms and chest. I hate it! Ive been putting bags of frozen veggies on them so at least I wont be able to feel the itch.

the gentlebirth.org archives have a lot of good ideas on how to help the itching, in case you havent read there yet.

Thanks for the suggestion Stacy!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:11 PM

Back from my checkup......all those little contractions were working......I'm 4cm, and 60% effaced! Head very low.

Charlie and I did decide to go in on Tuesday morning for AROM induction, if I make it until then. We have to be there at 6am....I haven't seen the crack of 5am for I don't know how long! Well, I've certainly been up peeing or tending to kids at 5-ish, but I haven't PURPOSELY gotten up at that hour in a long time!

So......sometime between now and Tuesday!

I am feeling a big bag of mixed emotions right now.
But mostly excited!

On my way home I stopped at the bead store and got some charms for spacers, and the rest of the stuff I need to make my bracelet! Gonna start that today!

Chrissy-
Happy packing!

HeatherB-
Hope you kick that cold soon!
Seems like colds are really going around right now.

Birthing vibes to all that are having symptoms!

I'll keep everyone posted through the weekend.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:25 PM

Go Finn go! Go Finn go!

Danielle - Jo has volunteered to *bring* you ice cream from Sebastian Joe's! Say the word!

Savannah if you can't get Sprawl-Mart to take back the dipes, you might consider donating them to a women's shelter in your area.

Heather I hear you on the heartburn, I'm only heartburn-free if I do not eat after 3 PM. That includes drinking water, which obviously is not a possibility. Supposedly this means our children will be born with lots of hair. In my case, if it's true, I'm hoping it's RED! (donor has thick, red hair.)

I have been productive today and even managed to go swimming for 25 minutes before a gaggle of teenaged girls in bikinis took over the pool, I think it was an informal practice for the local school's swim team, they train in that pool. Wasn't pleased that they just kind of came in and overran the place, though. I could have kept swimming but I would have had to split my land with 2 other people and sheesh, were the girls loud. :

Did anyone see the McD's commercial on the Olympics last night with all of the pregnant women!!?

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 08-20-2004, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! I can't believe how many are getting so close to their births!

3under3, congrats on making the decision! I can't wait to hear your birth story! Hope all goes just perfectly for you.

Jen, I keep wondering if this one will have more hair than Gabriel! He had just peach fuzz when he was born (and blonde, no less! I've got dark brown hair and figured from my 7th grade genetics that my kids would, too!). I had basically no heartburn with Gabriel until the VERY end, but it's been around much longer with this one. Doesn't help that DH keeps wanting to eat pizza!

I did see that commercial last night! I was having quite a time trying to figure out what it was for - March of Dimes? local hospital? eh? McDonald's?! Weird. DH said, "I think they're a little late," - for mother's day, which is what it said at the end. Then again, every day is mother's day, right? :LOL

I'm feeling 98% better today, and even cleaned out under part of our bathroom sink today. Gabriel has a splinter and I was searching for tweezers (which I never found - he's still got the splinter ), but I did find a ton of things from when HE was a baby, all stashed in boxes under the sink from when we moved 2 years ago! I got that all sorted out and organized, though, and am feeling more of a "nesting" bug now. Yay! In the last week or two I haven't wanted to do *anything* around the house, so now I've got plenty to do!

Funny thing - I got up today and walked past our front door to see a new package sitting in the hallway. DH has not been doing so well at telling me when I've got a package (which isn't often, but is enough to motivate me when I do!), so I tried to see what it was and why it was sitting there. It's from Similac! It appears to be a small-ish case of formula. I guess I got on a mailing list. Hrm. Anybody want some free formula? :LOL

Hope everyone has a great day.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:09 PM

Forgot to add:

My hair is going away on Tuesday.

Back in May I really, REALLY wanted to cut my hair short. I go in cycles and seem to be at the end of a long-hair cycle. At the time it wasn't quite long enough to donate to Locks of Love, so I said I'd give it the summer and then I could donate a good long chunk of thick pregnant hair.

I'm partly sad, because I like playing with it, I can do things with it like braid it, and it's actually thick and soft for the first time ever in my life (usually it's very fine, thin and flyaway), but I know that I will be very happy to have it short again, esp when baby is here and I don't get to attend to it on a regular basis. Besides, it will be much easier to care for - now I spent 10 minutes combing it after washing. When it's short, all I'll have to do is towel it off and I'm ready to go!

Coming and going, hemming and hawing,

jen and her long hair.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:22 PM

Wow, it's so exciting to see how close everyone is getting to labor and meeting meeting our babies. I'm kinda bringing up the rear at 35 weeks, but had dd at 36, so we'll see! It sounds like 3under3 will be making the first birth announcement. Can't wait to hear your birth story!

I feel like we have so much to do around here still. I want to have just about everything in place and ready by next Friday, 36 weeks, when I'm cleared for homebirth. Then I just want to rest and hang out and enjoy my kids and dh, watch lots of DVD's, sleep as much as possible, etc. Today I'm planning to make some headway on getting meals in the freezer--chili, spaghetti sauce, bean soups, etc.

Chrissy--have you tried taking flax seed oil for the itching? It really helped my dry skin a few months ago. I put a couple tablespoons in a smoothie everyday. My sil had PUPPS--she was miserable, and it looked SO uncomfortable--I hope you get relief soon!

Jen--Heartburn just plain old sucks! I still get it sometimes despite taking Zantac. It's just one of those things that will go away once your organs are back in their rightful places.

I'd better get some cooking done while Leela is napping. Wonderful birthing vibes to anyone who might go into labor soon!

Heather

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3under3
Charlie and I did decide to go in on Tuesday morning for AROM induction, if I make it until then. We have to be there at 6am....I haven't seen the crack of 5am for I don't know how long! Well, I've certainly been up peeing or tending to kids at 5-ish, but I haven't PURPOSELY gotten up at that hour in a long time!

Ooohh...I am so jealous!! What is AROM induction? If you are that much gone, I doubt you will even make it to Tuesday!!

My best friend that is due a day before me is having her induction on Monday. I half wish I went to a regular OB/GYN, I would be induced by now!! I am usually against induction...until I get to this point!!! Now I am all for it!

Caroline
Old 08-20-2004, 08:02 PM

Savannah, re: those used AIOs, if the outer has lost its water resistance, there is a product you can buy called Nikwax that is supposed to restore that.

Caroline, AROM = artificial rupture of membranes.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:11 PM

Thanks Linda...I couldn't figure that one out!!

Caroline
Old 08-21-2004, 02:40 AM

Yay, Danielle!!! How exciting. I must say, though, I walked around for 3 weeks being 80 percent effaced and 3 cm dilated with Nicolas. I REALLY felt I'd be pregnant forever! haha. We did everything but the AROM (sex, walking, strip membranes, blue/black cohosh, etc.). No dice. Water finally broke and real labor started a week after the due date! Happy birthing to you!!! Can't wait to hear the story and "meet" the baby!

Linda, can you use nikwax on the Kushies AIO even if it has a cloth outer layer covering the PUL, or is the nikwax only for putting directly on the PUL?

Jen, some lady/girl will really appreciate that full, vibrant preggo hair!! I wish I had known I'd go as short as I did; then I could have done it all at once and donated mine, too. Instead we went in 4 inch intervals or so. I've never donated, though I'm like you and go through long hair/short hair cycles about every 3 years...

P.S. Danielle, I sent you a PM about my belly cast... and I have another question: where can I buy another plaster strip roll?
Old 08-21-2004, 02:56 AM

Savannah-
I'll PM ya back.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:59 AM

I made my bracelet this afternoon....it turned out so sweet!

Even my husband, who never really comments/notices accessories said, "Oh, that's really cute!"

Here it is. I won this amazing hand-carved pregnant goddess charm at Mamagathering 2004 in a silent auction and knew it had to be part of the necklace. It's so cool!
I'm wearing it now and won't take it off until Finn is here!
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBt3LRuxbMNo
Old 08-21-2004, 03:22 AM

Why do babies prefer to dance when mama wants to sleep? I spent all night at a pleasant birthday party for a friend+colleague and I could have forgotten I was pregnant if not for the pubic bone pain when I stood up. Kid slept the ENTIRE time. Now I want to go to sleep and baby thinks that now is the time to practice its flutter kick. I had to get up and leave the bedroom, I would only have disturbed Joey.

Savannah I've never donated my hair before either, but a good friend of mine did and she said it was a great feeling, esp considering that it was something that would normally just get swept up and thrown away! One year at camp a man with this GLORIOUS long brown hair - I mean long, I think it was very close to reaching his butt, and THICKTHICKTHICK with golden streaks in it - cut it while he was up at camp, he had nearly 2 feet to donate and the bag must have weighed close to 6 lbs. I can see why he enjoyed cutting it off, that had to have been really heavy and hot, but it was SO beautiful! (I'm a sucker for men with long hair, don't know why.) I'm sure his hair made more than one kid happy!

OK, I guess I will try to snooze a bit now, perhaps here in the den instead of in the bedroom.

Julia and Shannon - "Enter Sandman"?

jen

Old 08-21-2004, 06:52 AM

It's really hitting me, now that we've gotten all of our birth supplies and ordered a birth pool! We're really gonna do this! I have been waiting to get birth supplies since I was something like 8 weeks along :LOL and now having it move from theoretical to reality - WOW! It's getting real!

I just can't believe how close we're getting and how quickly this time is gonna fly by. I was looking for the number for an ultrasound tech because we were thinking about getting another peek at the baby. Of course, I can't find it, and joked to DH that I'd keep looking but maybe the baby would show up before we could get something scheduled. :LOL At this point, it's possible!

Hopefully next week we'll have a childbirth educator come out and do a refresher course with us. I think actually trying out various techniques will help us prepare - and again drive home the idea that this birth is coming any time now! Wow!

I don't know that we have everything we need or want, but I feel SO much more ready now. C'mon, baby!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-21-2004, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yay, Heather! It's great to feel ready.

Meanwhile, what is worse than waking up at 5 am to cntrx that peter out???

getting up at 4am with cntrx that peter out!
Old 08-21-2004, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantmommy
Meanwhile, what is worse than waking up at 5 am to cntrx that peter out???

getting up at 4am with cntrx that peter out!

Or being up with contractions all night long that peter out and let you fall asleep half an hour before your kids get up....

I can't take one more night of this, I even went for a walk at midnight last night. Got some major contractions going, but alas, here I sit again....

Caroline
Old 08-21-2004, 12:01 PM

I had a special day yesterday. My mommy group threw a baby shower for me. They brought dinners that can be frozen and bought 6 Happy Heinys off of my diaper wish list for me. We had a fun time and I can't wait to try the dinners.

Last Friday night into Saturday I had some contractions but they petered out and I haven't had any since.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 08-21-2004, 12:03 PM

Well, I had the home visit with my mw on Thurs, and found out I was off a week -- I was 37 weeks that day, not 38. I was relieved, because if it was labour starting, it meant I was just in for having a homebirth. Good thing -- the baby was born here Fri morning at 2:45. It's a healthy, small girl (no name yet). I'll get around to writing out the birth story.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-21-2004, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Caroline, I feel for you, and appreciate the perspective on my prodromal labor! It'll pay off in the end, I'm sure.

SHANNON! Congrats! Our first birth! :
Old 08-21-2004, 12:36 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, SHANNON! Welcome, little one! :

Hope you're both doing great and can't wait to read your birth story! Enjoy your babymoon!

Sounds like we've got a couple more who won't be far behind! Hang in there, ladies!

Old 08-21-2004, 01:20 PM

Oh Wow! Congratulations!!! Welcome baby girl!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 01:42 PM

Someone needs to make a sticky for birth announcements/stories!!

Congratulations Shannon!!!! I look forward to hearing your story!!

Caroline
Old 08-21-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantmommy
Oh, Caroline, I feel for you, and appreciate the perspective on my prodromal labor! It'll pay off in the end, I'm sure.

Oh, I am just feeling sorry for myself and needing to whine!! I don't know why I am surprised, this is how I was with all my other ones..I just thought by now by cervix would understand IT IS SUPPOSED TO THIN OUT!!!!

It does pay off I guess, I have really quick hard labors....

Caroline
Old 08-21-2004, 09:00 PM

Congrats on your little baby girl Shannon! Can't wait to read your birth story!

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 08-21-2004, 09:25 PM

Link to the new thread for those subscribed to this one.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=184918

User Tag List