Birth Plans - what's on yours? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-15-2004, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have made up a "Birth Wishlist" for this birth, and was wondering how it compared to others' birth plans. We're planning a home birth, so my "wishlist" is really just that - some ideas that I have in mind that I want everyone to know about - but nothing that's going to make or break the whole thing, KWIM? With my last birth in a hospital, it was very different!

So, do you have a birth plan? Why or why not? Do you mind sharing it?

Here's mine:

Birth Wishlist

I would like:

- for Gabriel to have access to the birth, as much or as little as he chooses, under the care of his grandmother.
- to initiate and progress through labor on my own, without outside measures to stimulate it.
- to be encouraged to change positions, move about, and try different things throughout labor, and especially at any point there is a stall.
- to avoid exams until I request it or there is an indication of its necessity.
- to have juice, water, Gatorade, etc., brought to me in one of our large plastic cups with a bendable straw.
- to labor in the tub, shower, or birthing pool as much as I feel comfortable with it.
- to use the ball to lean against and/or sit on during labor.
- to begin pushing on the toilet.
- to be encouraged to try different positions for pushing.
- to birth out of water, preferably on the bed or wherever feels comfortable.
- to have perineal support and massage to minimize any tearing.
- for DH or me to help catch the baby.
- for the baby to be given to me as quickly as possible.
- to have a few minutes alone with DH and the baby (and possibly Gabriel) as quickly as possible after the birth itself. I’d rather this be sooner than later, even if that necessitates brevity.
- to see the placenta after it is delivered.
- to leave the cord intact until it has stopped pulsating and the baby is clearly doing well.
- for Gabriel to help DH cut the cord.
- for DH to announce the baby’s gender.
- to have pictures taken immediately after or at the time of birth, specifically of DH and Gabriel’s reactions to the birth and baby.
- for my mother to call those on the “Baby’s Here!” phone list after the baby’s stats have been determined and a name given.
- for necessary samples to be taken for the Borreliosis (Lyme disease) test kit.

I would NOT like:

- to be transported to a hospital for any reason but an emergency.
- to have an IV during labor.
- to have my membranes stripped or water broken without indication of necessity.
- to have an episiotomy.
- to have anything done to or for me without my knowledge and understanding.

I showed my list (minus a couple of changes I just made!) to my MW this week and she said basically everything was standard for a home birth. Woohoo! I am SO thrilled that I'm not going to have to be concerned about things this time like I was with the last one. I can't wait!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-15-2004, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't made a birthing plan...I never did in the past either. I don't know what I will want when the time comes...so I told my MW I just reserve the right to change my mind, be bit@hy, and to just to just go with it.

The only thing I am insistant upon (and I was told this wasn't an issue) is that htere be NO medical students anywhere NEAR me....my last daughter was born in a teaching hospital and all of a sudden I looked up and there were like 5 young men standing around me watching...too weird!!

Caroline
#3 of 15 Old 08-15-2004, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
The only thing I am insistant upon (and I was told this wasn't an issue) is that htere be NO medical students anywhere NEAR me....my last daughter was born in a teaching hospital and all of a sudden I looked up and there were like 5 young men standing around me watching...too weird!!
Igh! That would NOT be cool! I recall my mom saying that she had tons of interns/students/etc. hovering and "trying out" on her when my sister was born - so she told the doc when I came that she would NOT allow anyone but him to be there! Turned out he was the big-wig doc at the hospital and he pulled his weight to make sure no one else touched her. He even stuck around for the delivery when his own daughter was being rushed to the ER, not breathing - good man! Hope your MW is as successful at warding off anyone unwelcome. I get the feeling MWs get left alone to do their thing a bit more than docs.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 15 Old 08-15-2004, 11:28 PM

I'm not making up a written birth plan, but I do have to sit my husband down and discuss a few things with him -- thanks for reminding me!

-- Be especially affectionate and attentive during early labor.

-- Do not under any circumstances let anyone in the house unless I've already invited them.

-- Keep the lights down low.

-- Do not play any music unless I request something specifically.

-- Keep a glass of water by me.

-- If I push the baby out while on hands and knees, get behind me and help catch the baby.

-- Bring me receiving blankets and towels immediately after the baby is out.

-- Offer to make me something to eat after the birth.

-- If the kids need support, take care of them -- I am fine on my own.

-- Remember to take pictures, no flash.
#5 of 15 Old 08-16-2004, 12:44 AM

Heather,

I wont be writing out a birth plan, but I am supposed to fill out a "birth thoughts" sheet for my midwife with my most important wishes on it.

Some things that will be included are:

*keep lights dim (candlelight only if possible) and talking to a minimum (except praise & encouragement)

*I would like to be helped and reminded to catch baby myself if at all possible

*I had a hard time with 2nd stage last time and if I need it I want to be talked through it this time so I wont be completely terrified

*want lots of of verbal support throughout labor

*I want Riley in the room if possible for the birth

*I dont want to be pressured into anything

*I dont want any exams unless I ask for them

*No hospital transport unless absolute emergency (my local hospital doesnt allow VBACs, so it would be an automatic c-section)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really I just want to be treated with respect. My midwife doesnt do much medical stuff (like arom, episiotomy...) and we already have a "history" so she knows what I want and dont want quite well by now.

The sheet I fill out is mainly just so she will know how I want to be supported...
#6 of 15 Old 08-16-2004, 02:10 AM

Here is our wish list, edited for brevity (we put it more nicely for the L&D folks!) and our mw already signed off on it:

Jo will push liquids to avoid IV.
Don't offer drugs; we know they are available and will ask if they are wanted.
Keep internals to a minimum and only when they are medically necessary.
Keep the mood quiet, calm and relaxed.

For birth:
Jen will push when her body tells her to, so don't scream at her to push unless there is some reason the baby needs to be born quickly.
Jo does NOT want to catch the baby or cut the cord so don't even ask her.
Unless medically necessary to cut the cord for birth, let it stop pulsing before cutting it, and don't offer to Jo to cut it.
Would prefer a tear over an epis.
Please continue to keep mood quiet, calm and relaxed even in the midst of excitement.

After birth:
Give us an hour alone as a family to bond and establish breast feeding.
No antibiotics in eyes (I tested neg for gonorrhea/chlamydia).
Vitamin K orally, not injected.
Room in unless some medical reason not to.
If boy, not circumcised.
Because of Jo's allergies, we will bring our own cloth diapers and wipes, please do not use any scented oils, soaps, wipes, etc on baby lest it trigger an asthma attack in Jo.

ETA: I forgot to put anything on the list about letting the placenta deliver on its own, I guess that one will just have to come up when the time comes.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#7 of 15 Old 08-18-2004, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for sharing! It's great to see the different "wishlists" and see how they reflect different circumstances, needs, histories, etc. I can't wait to start hearing the stories of how these births end up! Not long now!

#8 of 15 Old 08-18-2004, 01:14 PM

All of your birth plans looks great! We discussed birth plans in my Bradley class that I teach two weeks ago, but I've yet to put anything down on paper. My midwives have even been asking for one and told us that we need to have it turned in by 36 weeks. That's next week for me! Yikes! I need to get working on it. I'll post it once I have something.

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#9 of 15 Old 08-18-2004, 03:30 PM

I showed my list (minus a couple of changes I just made!) to my MW this week and she said basically everything was standard for a home birth. Woohoo! I am SO thrilled that I'm not going to have to be concerned about things this time like I was with the last one. I can't wait! [/QUOTE]

Yes! with a homebirth all those requests are just how it goes. it's amazing! to not worry about anyone intruding on how you birth your child. i have only had 1 child, a homebirth, so i know nothing else for myself (although i have been a doula for hospital births). All I can say is that our homebirth was perfect, and that's not to say there wasn't challanges, it's just how each moment was worked through was the way it was meant to be: up to the woman. good luck and remember to breath...to feel love...and open up wide for the baby to release!
#10 of 15 Old 08-19-2004, 02:37 AM

I wonder how huge this post would be if I just copy and paste my latest version of my birth plan?? hmmmm....
-----
Thank you for caring for me and my precious babies, and attending this miraculous twin birth! I appreciate your valuable role as part of Matt’s and my birth team. We understand that life cannot be scripted, and thank you in advance for involving us in any decisions to deviate from this ideal birth plan, if that situation arises.

We are aiming for as natural and intervention-free a vaginal birth as possible, as we have full confidence in God and my body’s ability to do the job it was created to do without problem. So far this pregnancy has been perfect, so this is certainly an attainable goal.

·No induction: I do not wish to be induced. I have prayed that I can carry the twins all the way to 40 weeks, and I believe God answers prayer. I prefer the membranes not be ruptured.
·No drugs: I prefer to labor without drugs and with the ability to move freely about. Please, no pitocin, epidural, or any IV lines. If an emergency arises, I prefer a spinal anesthesia shot.
·Unobtrusive monitoring: When monitoring is needed of me or the babies, please use intermittent hand-held Dopplers or ultrasound, so that I am not strapped down. I do not want an internal fetal scalp monitor or anything else that invades the babies. Please do not perform frequent cervical checks.
·Labor support: During labor, I will request a birthing ball and may use the shower. I also prefer to keep my support team in the room with me during labor and delivery (husband Matt, sister Donna, doula friend Melanie, and photographer friend Jennifer).
·Push in the L/D room: Therefore I request to labor and deliver in Room 7, or another very close to the OR, but I do not wish to deliver in the OR.
·Delivery positioning: I prefer to deliver in a squatting position, or one as upright as possible without putting pressure on my tailbone. I also do not want my pushing to be directed. I would prefer to push as my body directs, gently and slowly and taking care not to stretch my perineum too early. I hope to avoid tearing and certainly prefer to not have an episiotomy. I request warm compresses on my perineum. Please position a mirror so I can see the birth.
·Birth of Baby A: Please allow Baby A’s head to be born with the amniotic sac intact, if the membranes haven’t broken on their own. We will want a picture. I also want to bring the baby out myself the rest of the way, and up onto my chest. (Have the bed as upright as possible for when I sit back from my squatting position.) Please do not announce the baby’s sex; Matt and I would like to announce the sex and name.
·Immediate care of Baby A: We will want to bond gently with baby there while the cord stops pulsating on its own. After that Matt can cut the cord. We ask that no shots or eye ointment be given the baby at this time. I will also want to nurse while we await the contractions for Baby B to begin again on their own. Please do not take Baby A out of the room without one of us accompanying her.
·Birth of Baby B: I again want to push as upright as possible when delivering Baby B, preferably back in a squat. Again, let’s aim to let the baby be born with the membranes intact. And I want to pull the baby out and up myself; and Matt and I will be the ones to announce the gender.
·Immediate care of Baby B: Again, please do not clamp until the cord stops pulsating. And no shots or eye ointment for baby at this time, please. I will now want to nurse while we await the contractions for the placentas to begin on their own. Please do not take Baby B out of the room without one of us accompanying her.
·Placentas: Please let me look over the placentas, where our babies have grown these last months. I may donate the umbilical cord blood. I also plan to bring the placentas home, so please put them in a cooler.
·Nursery bath, etc.: We anticipate healthy babies who will not need special nursery monitoring. So we would prefer to have the bath and nursery care delayed until Mom is finished and she and Dad can carry the babies there. We would also like the babies to kept in the same bassinet together. Please, no bottles or pacifiers or shots or procedures without our permission. The babies will be rooming in with us, anyway.

We’re excited about this momentous and blessed event! Thank you for your support!
-----

OK, I still need to go back and specify my preferences of the "what if" scenarios, like vacuum before forceps, forceps before CS, etc. But so far both docs in my practice are OK with what I have here, even the one who was trying to convince me to be OK with scalp monitoring on the baby... Oh, and I can't believe they didn't balk at the squatting to deliver??? Maybe they're just appeasing me, "knowing" it can't possibly go this well and then thinking at that point, all bets are off?
#11 of 15 Old 08-19-2004, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Caroline
That would be so weird, but I loved the residents, cause they were the only ones who would "deliver" Jack. The on-call dr refused because I wouldn't have a c-section (although he hadn't yet examined me or my chart). I was BAD because I was a home birth transfer.
#12 of 15 Old 08-19-2004, 06:22 PM

I haven't written anything out yet. Never did with the others either. I think I will write a couple of things down this time.

Mainly I want to move around a lot more than I did with Jack. Of course he didn't give us a lot of time either. :LOL

Most of the stuff I want done, I want David to do. :LOL Like working my back muscles and helping me to stay relaxed and focused. I know he still has no interest in cutting the cord. :LOL

I've never had any students there while I labored or delivered but then that hospital isn't a "teaching" hospital either. My OB did have a student in his office while I was pregnant with Jackson. I would basically almost have "2 appointment" with most of my last appointments because he would have her evaluate me and then he would also. I didn't mind because I saw it as an opportunity for her to learn hands on the things she needs to know instead of learning it in a classroom. He always asked if it was alright if she was there first too. She wasn't at the delivery but then it was late at night, she *might* have been if it was during the day. Same thing happens occasionally at our Ped's office, he often has students there to observe and to learn hands on.

Guess I should start to really focus on the impending event.
#13 of 15 Old 08-19-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
I've never had any students there while I labored or delivered but then that hospital isn't a "teaching" hospital either. My OB did have a student in his office while I was pregnant with Jackson. I would basically almost have "2 appointment" with most of my last appointments because he would have her evaluate me and then he would also. I didn't mind because I saw it as an opportunity for her to learn hands on the things she needs to know instead of learning it in a classroom. He always asked if it was alright if she was there first too. She wasn't at the delivery but then it was late at night, she *might* have been if it was during the day. Same thing happens occasionally at our Ped's office, he often has students there to observe and to learn hands on.

I don't mind the students, it was just the fact that these young un-introduced men were staring at my vagina! I had a student nurse with Lilly, and she was wonderful!! Just when you are about to push is just not the best time to bring in the students!!

Caroline
#14 of 15 Old 08-19-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I don't mind the students, it was just the fact that these young un-introduced men were staring at my vagina! I had a student nurse with Lilly, and she was wonderful!! Just when you are about to push is just not the best time to bring in the students!!

Caroline
:LOL Very true! :LOL
#15 of 15 Old 08-22-2004, 04:17 PM

My mw is big into birth visualizations. So I talk to her a lot about the birth (each prenatal visit is about 1 hour or more!), and then she directs me to put my ideas into daily visualization practice.

For example, I really want to push on the toilet. My mw said I can do this until the head is crowning, and then I can stand up (with help), or squat nearby until the baby is out. Or, if I really don't want to move from the toilet, she said she's caught babies that way before..

So for visualization, every time I use the toilet, especially for a bm, I visualize pushing the baby out and then bringing it immediately to my chest.

As for labor, DH and I get a good pace walking, and then we do visualizations for labor pain management and mantras, etc. I like doing these while walking, because I'm a little out of breath sometimes, or there's ligament pain, so I get used to using these visualizations when I'm not entirely comfortable.

Otherwise, my opinion on birth plans is pretty simple - your doctor or mw has a birth plan they use for every birth, with wiggle room where they will ask you questions about what you want, but that does not apply to everything.

Hence, IMO, you're better off finding a practitioner whose birth plan matches what you want. I interviewed 6 mws before I found the right person. Some of the mws were very loose, saying "anything you want is fine." That made me nervous. I went with one who is big into trusting the woman, very experienced, and into self-directed pushing.

Anyway, there's my two cents...

All the best,
Heather
EDD 9/20, 1st baby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page