What are you planning to do for pain relief in labour? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how you are planning to cope, since it seems to be a big thing on my mind these day. Maybe I can get some new ideas from you.
#2 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 01:41 PM

Relaxation, position changes, counterpressure, water tub...

I was able to get into a really relaxed state with DD's birth and am hoping to be able to get into that place again this time around. I haven't really practiced relaxing much this pregnancy though so I've been kind of doing a "crash course" of practicing this past week. Also I am planning a home birth and have a nice big garden tub that I plan to use for pain relief. I have had a LOT of painful contractions throughout the last half of this pregnancy and the water really does work to decrease those sensations.
I'm also rereading Natural Birth the Bradley Way to refresh my memory.

At this point baby is posterior, so I am doing lots of thing to try to get him to spin. I know posterior labors are much more painful and want to avoid that at all costs.
#3 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 01:58 PM

Deep concentrated relaxation, water, moving around, positioning, and hopefully getting backrubs, shoulder rubs and headrubs from Jo and my doula because those really distract me nicely from anything that's bothering me!!!

I hope that's enough! I've heard that water is really the way to go.

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#4 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 02:45 PM

Well, I'm planning on doing preventative-type stuff, like trying to keep baby anterior, avoiding anything that can inhibit hormone production (like having people around that make me feel self-conscious,) and doing whatever facilitates hormone production and keeps the process on track (dancing with and kissing my husband, for instance.) I'm super sensitive to the energy of others, and I can't relax and go fully into myself (and not in my head) when being monitored and observed. I don't think it's a coincidence that every time my privacy and concentration were interrupted by the presence of someone I'm not normally intimate with, that the labor got painful.

Maybe sex and associated activities, we'll see how I feel.

Hot water, definitely. Very relaxing. I don't know if we're going to set up the birth tub or not. It's a lot of trouble to go to, and I wanted to give birth on dry land last time anyway. Might just do hot showers, and hopefully also by that time my husband will have replaced our bathtub with a bigger one, so maybe that'll suffice.

Moving around helped me also, and vocalizing loudly, but those aren't things I planned to do, they were just what came naturally.
#5 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 02:53 PM

Well, since I thought my last labor was so successful, I'm going to aim for the same things; basically, moving around a lot, being upright for contractions, being in a calm, peaceful place with soothing things around me, whether that be out in my garden listening to birds or in my bedroom with candles and dim lights. Relaxing completely at the onset of cntrx., and thinking open thoughts through them.

Water, definitiely, either my jetted bu not big tub or the birth tub, probably both depending on where I am in labor.

Information, by dh letting me know when the cntx are scheduled to start, peak, and end. Knowledge for me is power, and that helped a lot through transition last time.
#6 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 03:59 PM

Well, if I have a really fast labor again, there's not much to do except loud, long primal moaning. That helps me alot.

If I have time, I will defintiely use water! I have yet had the chance to use it as pain relief.
#7 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 06:02 PM

Water- blow up fishy pool probably, and
Relaxation.

I've been doing the hypnobirthing tapes but honestly I don't think it is going to work for me in the way it does for some women. The tapes do relax me though and I'm hoping that learning to relax specific areas of my body and my body as a whole will help during labor too.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#8 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 06:28 PM

First of all, I'm gonna do my best not to call it pain, not to consider it pain... only sensation. One that WILL be intense and WILL not last forever. It will come and go, like a wave and remembering that it wil not last forever... should help.

Other ideas include
Singing
Jerome, mom and sis will be there to sing with and I really think opening up my voice and letting sound release will help alot.

Chiropractic care
My sister is a chiropractor and is intending to serve as doula and photographer. Adjustments during labor can be hugely helpful from what I've read.

Massage and intimacy with Jerome
I want to feel aroused and relaxed in privacy with my hubby

Setting and talismans
I'm in the process of setting up a birth space full of meaningful objects and art that is evocative and sensual. (Gustov Klimt) My blessing cards and other meaningful objects will be there.

Laboring in water
mw is bringing a birthing tub to our home and I'm really looking forward to sinking into that water and releasing this child into the world.

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#9 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 06:31 PM

Im planning on doing the same things to cope as I did last time - staying in my tub as much as possible, making sure babe is in the right position ahead of time so I dont have to deal with any back labor hopefully, using different positions - hands and knees was great last time...

Hopefully my midwife will be around to offer encouragement. That was really helpful last time in keeping my spirits up.

I dont really use distraction techniques or anything like that.
#10 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 08:31 PM

Welcome it! The pain, that is. I don't really have any fear at all of labor so I welcome every sensation. I won't say I've had "painless" births, but I've never thought it was anything I wasn't capable of handling. I usually labor in water, but have always felt a need to get out before actually birthing. Since I homebirth I have no restrictions on movement, position, eating or drinking, etc so that in itself makes for a better birthing experience. So, as usual, I'll just follow what my body seems to be telling me! It has never failed me yet!!
#11 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 01:36 PM

Ah well, if it feels like pain to me, I'm perfectly happy to call it that.

My strategy is to try not to control it or deny it, but barrel right on through it. My first midwife didn't like that, she kept trying to get me to be mellow and sweet like the women in Spiritual Midwifery. It was really irritating, and I ended up expending way too much energy trying to fight my instincts, which were to make a lot of noise and move around a lot.
#12 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet
My first midwife didn't like that, she kept trying to get me to be mellow and sweet like the women in Spiritual Midwifery.
I can just see it:

Midwife: "Linda, you've got to mellow out and give people some."
Linda: "Give people some? I'll give you some!"

tee hee

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#13 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3under3
Well, if I have a really fast labor again, there's not much to do except loud, long primal moaning. That helps me alot.

If I have time, I will defintiely use water! I have yet had the chance to use it as pain relief.
this (loud, long primal moaning) was my best source of pain relief! i am still amazed by how much it helped. that and being in the position i needed to be in.
#14 of 17 Old 08-18-2004, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Relaxation was incredibly helpful to me last time. That, and having very supportive people around me. Breathing deeply and fully relaxing and releasing myself through each contraction made it all doable, and I'm looking forward to that again this time. We're also going to get a labor tub (most likely a nice inflatable pool) so that I can use the hot water to ease contractions.

Last time, I was amazed at how much better I felt after a shower fairly early in labor, and planned to get in the tub as soon as we go to the hospital (regular tub, nothing special). Then they ruptured my membranes (without permission and perhaps without trying) and denied me my relief. I was still able to labor well with my own devices, but I'm looking forward to having more options open this time!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#15 of 17 Old 08-19-2004, 04:17 PM

From what I learned last time, I'm going to approach this labor like that kids' song "I'm going on a bear hunt" You know, "can't go over it, can't go around it, can't go under it" I'm just going to barrel straight through it. I had a lot of good coping techniques with Jack, but I learned (afterwards, in retrospect) that at least for me, I got to a point where I needed to stop grasping for a path away from the pain and sensation and just dive right into it. Also I learned that when I get to the point of thinking I can't take anymore, I can't deal with it getting any worse, that that is about as bad as it gets. So first time mamas, don't feel discouraged when you hit that wall - it is usually up from there!!
#16 of 17 Old 08-22-2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
From what I learned last time, I'm going to approach this labor like that kids' song "I'm going on a bear hunt" You know, "can't go over it, can't go around it, can't go under it" I'm just going to barrel straight through it.

I love that! I'm having my first kid at home (EDD 9/20), and that chant is exactly what I've been thinking lately. Thanks for the wonderful image. Maybe I'll change it from hunting to following a kitty cat. Then again, in labor, hunting will probably work for me

I have been looking forward to labor since I found out I was pregnant. And the pain management stuff I've read in this thread either validates or improves upon the stuff DH and I have been practicing. Thanks so much, it's great to read about so many positive homebirth experiences.

Thanks,
Heather
#17 of 17 Old 08-22-2004, 08:46 PM

I am big into massage. I am still working on seeing if my massage therapist can join us in the hospital for the birth. Also the hospital has jacuzzi tubs and I intend on sitting on one. I am plan on using my birthing ball, a rocking chair, changing positions, and walking.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page