Any 3rd timers also going through car dilemma? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2004, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We love our car (Subaru Forester), but have been trying to wiggle the three seats into it to see if it will work. So far, results have been at best OK, and mainly a big "ugh." Anyone else trying to avoid the minivan route and want to commisserate? We've done the test drives and such, but really don't want to change. . . I feel it coming though.
#2 of 5 Old 08-16-2004, 06:39 PM

Im having my 3rd and we did end up getting a minivan a few months ago... The car I drove before would not big enough for all of us unless my 6 year old son sat in the front seat, but that would leave no where for DH, except the roof maybe.

We got a toyota sienna, which gets a little better gas mileage than other vans (from the research I did) and has very high safety ratings. I am very pleased with it and honestly, I love having the extra room.

I hope yall are able to figure out something that will work for your family! Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 08-16-2004, 07:30 PM

Yep, we are trying to figure out the carseat issue now. We have a Landrover Discovery... I'm not ready to give it up. If we do have to, we are probably going to go the Suburban route over the Minivan. I reeeeeeeeally don't like Minivans.

The Disco does have forward facing fullseat jumpseats for a third row of seating. We don't have them right now, but they are easy to install and we are looking into that route. It's just hard to get info on whether they are carseat safe. That will be the hinge. David has been dragging his feet on this whole thing because he keeps deluding himself with the info that "well you won't be going many places with all three of them for a while anyway..."

head head head

And if you get deployed??? (which is a real possibility!!) I can't use the frontseat because of the airbag. I might have to go back to using the Jetta (now his car). But I'm not positive I can fit 3 seats in the back of that either.

We have two Roundabouts that really aren't THAT big but it's amazing how small a backseat is... I haven't replaced our infant seat yet because at this point... we can't fit one in the backseat.

I hate being unprepared like this!!!
#4 of 5 Old 08-16-2004, 08:34 PM

haha, funny thread. I'm with you, sister! We have a Mitsu Eclipse and a Nissan Altima. Both paid off. No desire for a big new car payment. Oh, and did I mention twins on the way, haha?

Luckily, we figured out that the two infant seats will fit very barely behind the passenger seat and in the middle, and my dh can still put the driver seat back far enough to drive. That leaves just enough leg room for my son (almost 6). I get to squeeze into the front seat that's moved up a bit, but it's worth it for us to buy ourselves another year or more before changing vehicles. The Altima also has a nice big trunk that the twin stroller will fit into, and we can scoot the diaper bag on the floor under the infant seats. I remember it's harder fitting rear-facing infant seats in than the older-baby front-facing models, so we might be able to delay that minivan purchase for awhile! (though the A/C did just go out on the Altima, eeek. Good thing Fall/Winter are coming!)
#5 of 5 Old 08-16-2004, 10:47 PM

My dh has an Altima! we love it.

I took the dive and got the Sienna when Belle was born. With anything but a minivan, the third row seats mean you have NO cargo space! Yeah, it's a minivan, which I hate, but it's really safe (dh once got rear-ended in it, the other car was un-drivable and he and kids were all totally fine) and nice to drive, for a minivan.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page