Unknown leak possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-20-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you be leaking amniotic fluid and not know it?
Warning, little graphic:

With my first pg. I had to wear a panty liner for the leukeria (sp) around the 6 month or so (I only made it to 29 weeks that pg.). I had to change it several times a day, but no big deal for me.

My second pg. I dont' remember the panty liner bit at all...weird but I dont'.

This pg. I haven't had really any leaking of any fluid. A few weeks ago had very little of what looks like the leukerria to me and can wear a panty liner pretty much all day with little to no fluid. I thought it was odd that there wasn't any this time but felt kind of fortunate.

At my latest visit to L&D for premature labor at 35 weeks 1 day, they thought I might have low amniotic fluid and told me to come back for a formal ultrasound at 36 weeks to check it out.

I just wondered if you can have a leak and not know it?? Can your leak just come out when you pee? I have read that there is a distinct sweet smell, and sometimes my pee does have some sort of smell, but I dont' know how I would describe it. I am just worried and want some feedback, thanks ladies!!

Lisa
#2 of 8 Old 08-20-2004, 09:40 PM

I don't think so. You might have been somewhat dehydrated, but those fluid indexes (indices?) aren't particularly accurate anyway, from what I have heard.

It seems to be getting quite popular for OB's to cite low fluid as a reason to induce. It sorts of gives moms an excuse to induce if they're tired of being pregnant.

I would just make sure you're plenty hydrated before the next u/s.
#3 of 8 Old 08-20-2004, 09:47 PM

Wish I could help, but my water has never broken before labor. When is your next visit?

Caroline
#4 of 8 Old 08-20-2004, 10:31 PM

My sister in law leaked fluid without knowing it, but it was the result of her amnio.

wave.gif
#5 of 8 Old 08-20-2004, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

That's what got me upset/worried. I was in the hospital being monitored for premature labor this past Tuesday at 35w1day. The doctor said that the baby's heart rate had dropped several times and that it might be a result of low amniotic fluid. THe doctor checked it with an ultrasound machine that he had never used before and had difficulty getting it ot work.

They told me to come back this coming Mondday to have a "formal" ultrasound done and to drink a ton of water. That's the crazy thing, I drink a gallon of water a day in addition to other fluids. (no caffeine) I have tried to make sure that I am drinking more water though.

I am just worried about the health of the baby now and can't get to MOnday afternoon fast enough. The crazy thing about talk of possible induction (if fluid is too low) is that I have been on medication to PREVENT labor for 5 weeks now!!! I am supposed to go off the meds on monday and let things happen NATUARALLY, something I have looked forward to. NOw this!!! ARGH!!

Thanks for the input ladies!!
#6 of 8 Old 08-20-2004, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, after I hit post, I started thinking more, would there be another reason/cause for low fluid?? Also, would there be antoher reason for baby's heart rate to drop? *sigh*
#7 of 8 Old 08-20-2004, 11:37 PM

Oh poor mama! This must be so stressful. I have no answers for you but I wanted to let you know you will be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend.

Were you having any contractions while you were being monitored? Isn't it normal for the HR to drop during a contrx.? They worry it it drops too low or doesn't recover fast enough.

I have heard you can leak amniotic fluid. I've also heard it isn't a big deal. Your body will make more.

I agree with plantmommy that the OB may just be trying to control your pregnancy.
#8 of 8 Old 08-21-2004, 12:38 AM

I only started leaking once I was in labor so I can't help you there.

It is very easy for them to check if you are leaking amniotic fluid. They can use a paper like litmus paper that will react if there is amniotic fluid present.

The heart rate can drop for a lot of reasons. If you are contracting, if the fluid is low, if the baby goes to sleep ... as long as the heart rate stays within in normal parameters (110-160) it is better to avoid an induction if possible. A medical induction will put more A LOT more stress on the baby than a natural induced labor which honestly defeats the purpose of inducing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page