Postpartum Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2004, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any recommendations for the mama aspect of things after baby arrives? Pad reccomendations (cloth or sposies, which brands)? Herbal peri-wash solutions? Anything to help the healing process? Did you sleep on anything special to protect the bed from leaks (both lochia and milk)?

I guess nursing bras and pads fit under this category as well. I feel much more prepared in that area though since I've been nursing ds for 3.5 years now, but feel free to make suggestions related to that too!

Thanks in advance!

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 AM

Newbie here, sorry no recommendations. But I know we have some very knowledgeable mamas who will help us out!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 08-27-2004, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is your second? Liquid calcium-magnesuim. Afterpains are so much worse with second and subsequent than with the first. I found them almost worse than labour, since they come during nursing and you're stuck in one position. I don't want to fear-monger, but I really wasn't prepared for how bad they would be after #2. This time, I had the cal-mag, but I also took some ibuprofen, which the mw recommended, but I don't think it helped as much as the cal-mag. I was still a super grump if anyone tried to talk to me or touch me when I was having those afterpains.

Also this time the mw gave me mesh panties to wear to keep very large pads in. If you use cloth diapers, a prefold in a pair of those would be very comfy for after the birth.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-30-2004, 07:04 AM

What does the cal-mag do? I actually have a bottle in the fridge from a few months ago, and I'm supposed to be taking Cal/Mag/Zinc right now (if I can remember to take it apart from my vites and EPO!). I wasn't sure of the specific effects of it, though. I do remember relaxing and breathing through the afterpains with DS and can only guess that anything that helps will be welcome!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:55 AM

Tucks Pads were my friends after I had Christopher since his shoulder tore me while delivering him. Also Lanisoh is a wonderful thing to have on hand while breastfeeding.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 08-30-2004, 10:46 AM

hi everyone!!!
i'm we are having our second baby sometime this month.
i've done some research about post-partum care and found the best book ever: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...049381-1261402
i borrowed it from my local library, it has a lot of good natural stuff.
hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB
What does the cal-mag do?
IIRC, bad afterpains are caused by calcium deficiency. I could be wrong, though. So with the cal-mag, the ctx are just as strong, but the pain isn't.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-30-2004, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson
Tucks Pads were my friends after I had Christopher since his shoulder tore me while delivering him.
Are Tucks basically anesthetic? I heard a lot about them last time around as a good thing to have on hand, but now 2.5 yrs later couldn't remember if it was just for the "on-label" uses (ie, hemorrhoids) or for other painful stuff. Ya'd think I'd never done this before. :LOL

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:47 PM

Tucks Pads has witch hazel which really felt wonderful on my tear whenever I used them. They would kill the pain not completely but mostly for a while. Them combined with an ice pack really helped.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 09-01-2004, 04:42 PM

I've been meaning to put together my PP kit. I'm trying to remember all the things that I used before.

Things I got from the hospital:
Sitz bath (get one!! if you don't have one already)
Tucks pads with witchhazel
Peri bottle with bedadine
Hydro-corodoze cream (helps with itchy healing and a dap on the Tuck's pad!!)

Other things:
Herbal for sitz bath
Cloth pads (so much more comfortable than disposibles)
Wool nursing pads (love the Lana ones)
Comfy all cotton "sleeping" bra. (I like my Lansinoh one need to get another one to alternate with)
Peppermint foot lotion (get DH to rub the tootsies )
Lansinoh for owie nipples with breastfeeding.
Red Paspberry tea (promotes healing of the uterus and a boost to milk supply)
Mother's Milk tea (promtoes milk supply)

Some kind of warming/cooling pads for the boobs if you are breastfeeding. They make all the difference in the world. I had a set of the Lansinoh soothers (they are gel-filled) but I think I'm going to make some using rice and lavender. Like these. It I don't get around to making them... I'll buy some quickly. :LOL

Those are just a couple of things I can think of. I really need to get on the ball and get some of this stuff together.

User Tag List