Why wait til Sept to have a baby? Chat thread 8/28 - 9/3 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 231 Old 09-03-2004, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3under3
It is finally summer here in Minneapolis! Upper 80's and sunny.
And in the 1st week of September no less!
Normally I would be grousing, since this kind of weather makes our school nearly unbearable (no air conditioning), but hey! I'm not at school! so what the heck! And now people's tomatoes will ripen finally. And the corn will grow bigger.

Sydney just got a drink of water and is now here dripping all over me. MMMM! She hasn't quite figured that I'm much harder to sit/stand on on the yoga ball than on a chair.

My doula called and ordered me to take a nap. I told her I was trying not to because then I won't sleep at night. She said well, ok, but what if you go into labor tonight? Good point.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#212 of 231 Old 09-03-2004, 04:36 PM

Yes, Jen, NAP, NAP!
#213 of 231 Old 09-03-2004, 07:19 PM

Jen, try lying down and listening to the radio. Anything with voices (music can be overstimulating). Maybe you have an NPR affiliate where you live? Or even an all news channel. Anyway, you'll get some good rest that way, and you might not mess with your sleep schedule..

<sending positive labor vibes to HeatherB>

Well, I feel 8 months pg today, ha ha. Honestly, I had this huge steak sandwich for breakfast, had a huge burst of energy, and then I actually got some housecleaning done! Yay!

Oh, and my mw saw glucose in my urine this week. Just a little, but she was pretty grumpy about it. Sigh. I finished the ice cream today and I've promised myself no more, even though MIL is like a drug pusher with the ice cream, cake and chocolate, and we'll be at her house most of the weekend. Add the most intense sugar cravings I've had in my life, and there's a fun holiday in the making. Sigh.

At least I get to see my little nieces! 4 and 6 year old girls, cute as heck, and their mama, my sil, is one of my all time favorite people, so there will be fun mixed in with the seven thousand polite "no thank yous" I toss at MIL as she acts more and more hurt at my refusal to eat sweets...
#214 of 231 Old 09-03-2004, 09:02 PM

Well, I just got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the kitchen floor. It was really dirty, but I thought it might "help."

Last night dh painted my toenails! It's a little sloppy, but hey, nice to have some color there again. Today he came home for lunch and we were discussing where to put the fishy pool, and he looked at me and said, "I can't wait! This is going to be so fun!" I was like, "Uh, fun is not the word that comes to mind..." :LOL He also brought me roses when he came home tonight!
#215 of 231 Old 09-03-2004, 10:14 PM

Our baby girl was born last night at 8:00 pacific time.
She's 6 pounds 14 ounces, 20 inches long.
She's beautiful.
The kids just love her. It's hard to get a moment's peace!
I'm so glad to be on this side of the birth!!!
#216 of 231 Old 09-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardermom
Our baby girl was born last night...
i am seriously envious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interbang
try lying down and listening to the radio. Anything with voices (music can be overstimulating
that's funny. i find the opposite to be true. talking will keep me awake pretty much no matter what. anyway, i was able to nap today. yay! on tuesdays and fridays my little girl goes to preschool. i can go to pick her up anytime from once my son gets on his school bus (at about noon) till 3pm. today i chose not to pick her up till 3pm, so i got into bed shortly after noon and didn't have to get up till 2:30. yummy.
#217 of 231 Old 09-03-2004, 10:37 PM

Yay Melanie! I was thinking about you earlier. I hope you will write a birth story...

anyways Congratulations!

So what is the biggest baby so far? They've all been pretty petite, right?
#218 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Melanie I'm happy for you.

If I had listened to NPR today I would have cried the entire time instead of falling asleep. That whole situation at the school in Russia broke my heart. Those poor innocent children...

Sending sistermama thoughts for safety as Frances looms.

I did nap for a couple of hours. Jo came home, took me to dinner, then we went for a 1/2 hour walk partway around one of the local lakes. it was a nice night for a walk.

Starting a new thread tomorrow, so be aware.

lacking cheer, somehow (except for Melanie's news, that cheers me!),

jen

#219 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 12:52 AM

Another little one! Congrats Melanie. Can't wait to hear the birth story and name.

I think you're right Lynsey. Most have been in the 6-7+ pound range. I don't think we've had one that was 8+ pounds yet. Though several have been going early too. Unless I go early (which hasn't been my MO I seem to like the due date) I expect to have an 8 pounder, both Tori and Jack were within a couple of ounces +/- of 8.

My mom called me yesterday to "chat". See how I was doing. She wanted to know how my last appointment was etc etc. She wants me to have Radish about the 8th. Because she's already paid for her plane ticket to VA (her greyhound conferance) and hotel room for the 16th. She is CONVINCED I'll have him on the 8th... yeah sure thing Mom whatever. Why would she think I would go early? And to tell you the truth, I DON'T want him to come on the 8th. David has to go back up to Austin on the 7th (everyone who is deploying leaves the 8th) and he has regular monthly drill that weekend also Sept 10-12 so he's going to stay in Austin. WHY would I WANT to go into labor with him gone??? She just kept saying "I think you should have him on the 8th so I can be there..." : :

YK Mom if you were REALLY concerned about wanting to be there for his birth... you wouldn't be going across the country within days of his due date now would you?? Yeah Mom, it's all about YOU.

We joined the local YMCA the other day. We spent a part of the afternoon at the pool today. OOOOH it was heavenly. A little bit chilly since it was so overcast. But OMG is was so nice to get into that water... and not ache. My back didn't hurt, my pelvic bone didn't hurt, my muscles didn't hurt... until I had to get out and then gravity started to work again. It was so nice to just float.

I had to go buy another swimsuit since I can't find the one I bought in June. Couldn't find a maternity one that was close to my size so I got a size 18 (eek I'm usually a 8-10) Speedo at Academy. I figure I'll use it a lot in the coming months while I try to get rid of the pregnancy weight. And we do plan to put both Tori and Jack into swim classes in the next couple of weeks or so. Definitely Tori.

This weekend should be really interesting. MIL is taking BOTH kids this weekend. She's taken Tori for a couple of days before. Tori LOVES to go an visit her. Mary lives down in Clear Lake near the water. Tori LOVES the water. This will be the first time that Jack has gone though. She's taken care of him before but not actually overnight away from us. She's stayed with us when we've gone out for an evening and she'll get up with him if he wakes up at night (which isn't often anymore ) and first thing in the morning. But it will be the first time he's spent the night away from us. I'm trying to be strong. (my little baby!! he's getting so big) She's picking them up tomorrow afternoon and bringing them back Monday morning. It will be very weird to be alone with David for almost 2 days. We haven't been totally alone in almost 3.5 years. :LOL Of course I'm as big as a house so that will make it a little more ackward.

We already plan to see 2 movies. Hero and Vanity Fair. Who knows when we'll get to see another movie out again... at least 4-6 months. :LOL Depending if Radish will take a bottle or not. Jack REFUSED to take a bottle, EBM or formula. Wouldn't have anything to do with them. Only direct from the tap.

Stacy-
:LOL About your DH thinking this is going to be "fun". :LOL Only men. I need DH to paint my toesnails. I spent an hour the other night getting all the old red polish off so it's time to do a new coat. I don't think I'd be able to do it myself anymore. :LOL Every 1.5 hours.

Jen-
So did scrubbing up the exploded watermelon kick in the ctx or is Sprout still happy to hang out where s/he is?

Sarah-
I hope Francis passes by you. We've been SOOO lucky so far this year. We haven't had any of the Hurricanes come close to us... yet.
#220 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

oh no, sprout is happily kicking, turning and wiggling on the inside. And once again, it's late and I'm up being uncomfortably jabbed while both of us try to get comfy. I was in bed but I heard a cat noise (from inside? outside? I don't know) and I wanted to make sure it wasn't either of our cats in distress, so I thought I'd poke my nose in.

But I think I'll try the sleep thing again.

#221 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations Melanie on the birth of your little girl!!
Have you decided on a name for her yet?
#222 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 09:09 AM

Yay Melanie!!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#223 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 09:21 AM

Chrissy, How did Noahs appt. go yesterday?

I have been up most of the night tossing and turning (and checking the boards). I cant believe I have picked NOW to get sick. I guess I am coming down with a cold or sinus infection or something, but its making my whole body sore and uncomfortable. And I have so much I was planning on doing today!
#224 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 09:34 AM

Yay, Melanie! Kinda cute that the two of us who both hate to be pregnant the most had our babies on the same day!

I am REVELING in my non-preg body.
And in my beautiful new son, too.

There's pix of him here:
http://www.foosf.com/reid10mins.jpg
http://www.foosf.com/reidroland30mins.jpg
#225 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 10:01 AM

Reid is so beautiful!!! Did you have him outside? The light looks as if you are. Can't wait to read your birth story!

Melanie - Glad your beautiful baby girl is here!

Frances looks to be weakening and moving a little away from us, so we are really keeping our fingers crossed that we keep power. The house is boarded up and Jack is kind of freaked out about not being able to see out of most of the windows. He keeps telling his dad to take them off. My mom is sleeping over tonight, and we are putting the futon mattress and tv in our bedroom so we can all be in the safest room, so Jack is going to have what we'll probably be the most fun and exciting night in his young life. I mean, Mommy, Daddy, Grandma and a TV in the room? I don't think it gets much better than that!

I've moved into that space where I have admitted to myself that I will be eternally pregnant - and I'm not even "due" yet! Please, just don't let me go to 42 weeks! This baby is definitely smaller than Jack, which I am happy about, so it would serve me right to go way over and end up with an 11 pounder!
#226 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 11:27 AM

Congratulations Melanie! Hello baby girl!!

The pictures of Reid are beautiful!

Sarah, I hope you only have to "hide" out for a day or so. I'm sure it must be hard for little Jack to be without windows!

Jen, hang in there. Sprout is just giving you a few more days to relax

Midwives came to the house Wednesday. All is well, baby has dropped and is about at station 0. 50% effaced. Not that these things tell me anything about when he will show up, but I'm happy to know something is going on! One thing I found odd that they told me is that they don't want me going up and down stairs for the first week or so---not even to go to bed! Have any of you heard this or have been recommended this???

I'm sooo thankful for a 3 day weekend! i have to write sub plans this weekend and just get some relaxation in. Plus, get a few walks in and I want to do some baking

Off to wake dh. We're picking up our birth tub this morning!!
#227 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 12:21 PM

Oh, Reid is gorgeous!! I can't wait to snuggle and smell and love my new baby!!

Lynsey, thank for asking It went well. Nothing has changed since last year. He has to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours (he's not enjoying it!) and as long as those results are normal we're good to go until next year. The appointment always wipes us out though. He has an EKG and an Echo and meets with a few doctors. We really really like his main doctor. We do know that he will have to have a pacemaker by the time he is 16 but we're hoping it will be a lot closer to 16. He did tell us this time that there are some cardiologists who would recommend the pacemaker now but that he strongly does not feel it is necessary.
I am sorry you are feeling sick. I hope you are able to have a relaxing weekend to help you recover.

Greenbeing, I've never heard that about the stairs. Whatcha baking?

Sarah, I'll be thinking of you and keeping an eye on the storm with you in mind.

Stacy, Your dh sounds sweet!

Melanie, So what's her name? Can't wait to hear all about it!

Better run,
Chrissy

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#228 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Going right now to start a new thread for the coming week. We outdid ourselves this week with over 11 full pages of posts. Must be all those babies

jen

#229 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 02:41 PM

Greenbeing - In the packet of postpartum information I have from my doctors it says to limit trips up/down stairs to once a day for the first week and I think it also says I'm not supposed to carry the baby the first week either.
#230 of 231 Old 09-04-2004, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Melanie, many congrats on your new little girl!

Plantmommy, Reid is just gorgeous!

And, yes, I'm still here, and still waiting for this baby to arrive... Labor is slow and continuing at its own pace. My midwife is very comfortable with it and extremely supportive. It is the wonderful thing about being at home, there's no one telling me it's taking too long or that I can't do it. We've all been able to rest and get a bit of sleep at night, then continue on during the day. I'm hoping today is the last day, as the baby is now very low and I feel tons of pressure. We'll see, though. My ctx don't like to stick to any one pattern for very long. Baby is doing fabulously well, though, not fazed by all of this a bit.

So, one of these days we'll have a baby and pics to show off! I'm hoping in the next 24-48 hours (though the next 6 would be nice!). MW says she's at least pretty sure I won't make it to my due date (next Thurs!). I hope that's funny.

Take care, all... Off to talk to this baby some more.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#231 of 231 Old 09-05-2004, 02:58 PM

Adding the link to the new thread for those on mail notification.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=190357

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page