Babies, babies, and more babies! - chat thread 9/4 - 9/10 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations on the new babies! I am so jealous! I went through a serious bout of frustration and discouragement last night. All these contractions that don't seem to be going anywhere... then I read in the Penny Simkin book that in slow-to-start-labors such as these, it is normal for mom to feel frustrated and discouraged. So, maybe I am not crazy after all.

Sarna Lotion for the PUPPS is great!
#122 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 12:21 PM

Congratulations Vicki and Katie!!! Nice to hear of more babies!!!

Jen 2 What you are going through is really difficult.You will feel so much relief once sprout is here!!! Hang on 2 just a little longer.

Arowen's cord fell off in the night. How is it that she's a week old today?
#123 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 01:09 PM

There. I did it. Our birth story is written.
#124 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 01:25 PM

Jen, I don't know if this helps you or not, but I had a dream last night (while I was not sleeping either) that you had your baby--on my bed....it was a boy...but you ruined my mattress. So if you want to give birth here that's fine, but please bring plastic sheeting and lots of duct tape.....
#125 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations Katie!!

38 weeks 1 day
I had a bad nights sleep last night myself.
Waking up to pee a lot, tossing and turning, not able to stay asleep. Got pretty emotional yesterday too. I ordered some diapers and stuff, and was so excited when I came home to see the package had arrived. Then found out something was missing. And I got a bill from our family doc from a year ago.
We don't have the money to pay it. Haven't been able to find out yet what the visit was even for. I don't remember that far back.
Anyway hope you all are having a good day today.
#126 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

The AFI ultrasound this morning was fine. Everything looked good. Head low, amniotic fluid good, cord blood flow good and Sprout face down. Good baby!

I got about 4 hours' sleep last night so I'm going to go nap even though that probably has to do with why I got 4 hours' sleep.

Around 5 this morning (after no sleep since 2 and falling asleep before that around midnight) I prayed in my head: "OK, either I need these contractions to be the real thing and step up and DO SOMETHING, or I need some sleep. Either way." -- I fell asleep.

Stacy, Pam and Christi I hear you. FRUSTRATION! Christi does your baby like it when you eat? Mine seems to enjoy hearing my digestive system gurgle

Sheryl: I hope Sprout is listening!

Thanks Melanie for the 2

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#127 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

SHANNON THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! Sorry about your mattress

thanks for the laugh

#128 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 01:37 PM

O.k. Jen and all other eagerly awaiting babies.... here's my silly little two cents. Rent a really dumb horror flick and eat pasta! I was watching "Tremors" (with Kevin Bacon) and eating some rocking good tortellini's when my water broke with gusto all over the couch!

Good luck mamas, I really feel for you.... Hang in there.

I will try to get my birth story written soon, it was so awesome. I'm looking forward to sharing it with all of you. It was such a deep spiritual journey for me... i was so deep in labor land that I was seeing things... pretty cool. I pray you all have as joyful of discoveries of your child as I did.

hugs

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#129 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Hang in there, Jen. I'm glad to hear that you got some sleep.

Congrats to Vicki and Katie!

Things here are okay. There was protein in my urine, so mw has me eating twice as much as before, essentially (I was on a practially all protein diet before), and a component of this is thick protein shakes, which I am having a hard time choking down. Also lots of eggs, meat, chicken, etc. Sigh. I think she's overreacting, I feel like I'm clogging my body. It's so hot here, I don't do much and I don't have much of an appetite, so eating heavy foods like this makes me feel extremely heavy and run down.

Also, my BP was slightly elevated this week, which I've heard at this stage is no big thing, but my mw says it relates to low protein levels. Eh. Whatever. I liked what I was doing before. Eating a balanced diet (larger amount of fruits and veggies when it's hot like this, for example) when and only when I'm hungry. Oy. I'm going to have to talk to her again...

Chat with you all soon...
#130 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 06:33 PM

Congratulations Vicki and Katie!!

Come on out Sprout!! Jen- I took castor oil with my 1st(42w1d) and 4th(41w5d). I know that using castor oil isn't very popular here, for me it was worth it. I took 4oz each time. It caused a quick clean out and then contractions and birth!! I blend it with 1cup frozen strawberries 1/4cup milk 2 tbsp malt and honey to taste. It makes the shake taste like you have added slightly rancid almonds. I personally feel castor oil is better than pitocin. It all comes down to what you feel is best for you. Both times I used it, it just felt "right". I can completely relate to how you are feeling as my first baby was 2 weeks "late". Take care of you! Babies always come out.

Naomi is doing great! At the ped appt 8 days old she was up to 6lb 14 oz!! She gained 11oz since birth. We have an appt with a pediatric othopedic dr for next tues though. As my suspicions were confirmed that she has a moderate club foot due to her prenatal positioning. It should be correctable with splints/possible casts though. She lost her cord stump at one week. That is such a relief. I am always worried about bumping it etc. My dd Eliza(4yo) was so cute about it though. She could hardly wait for it to fall off as it was "unusual" to look at. I think she has been paying attention to her older sibs vocabulary lessons!!

I posted Naomi's birth story on the birth stories thread. I should have pics to share soon too!!

Labor wishes to all who need/want them!!!!
Have a wonderful day!!
Sarahb
#131 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sarahb thanks for your thoughts about castor oil. it was interesting to see that your mw gave you caulophyllum when you were in labor. I'm on my second round of it today, although it's not nearly as potent as yours (mine is only 30c). Just hoping that one of these days everything will line up.

Maybe baby paid attention to the prediction of a 9/10 birthdate I made in the "cast your predictions here!" thread? My friend Laura, whose birthday is 9/11, is hoping for a birthday buddy even though she doesn't really wish the date on anyone as a birthday anymore...

Jo is tempting me with KFC for dinner. Hmm.........

j

#132 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 07:39 PM

More babies!! Congratulations Katie & Vicki!

Well it's offical... my feet are permantely swollen. Nice puffy little sausage toes and big potatoesque looking feet. I wish David was here to rub them. (sniff, sniff)

Had another OB appointment yesterday. Had to take the crew, luckily they were both really good and I didn't have to wait very long. Jack of course decided to fall asleep in the car less than 5 minutes from the office. I tried to lay him in the stroller and let him sleep but he woke up. Luckily he wasn't grumpy like usual when he doesn't get his nap. He was really quiet and just "chilled", smiled and charmed everyone. He can be such a little darling. I wore my Anklet and everyone in the office loved it. Thought it was a really neat idea. Well, Radish has dropped 'some' but no other changes. No contrax either. Radish has settled down on moving too. He doesn't move around constantly like before but when he decides to move... the boy MOVES. OB is sure he'll be seeing me in the office next week. Which is actually good because David won't be home until Sunday and EDD is Monday. How did that get so close?? I need to finish packing my bag.

I hadn't been sleeping very well the past week but last night I think I actually slept 4 hours straight without waking up at all. I certainly felt pretty good this morning. Everyone slept in this morning. I woke up at 7:50am and put the dog out. Laid back down and got to snooze for another 30 minutes before Jack woke up, Tori woke up a few minutes later. Yesterday Tori slept until 9:15am!! And she wasn't up late the night before either, and she'd taken a 2+ hour nap that day. I was just about to go wake her up (HATE to do that!) because we were going to be late for my OB appointment when she woke up.
#133 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 08:39 PM

Congrats Vicki and Katie and babes!

And Anna, the photo of you with pure joy on your face is phenomenal!

Jen-
Thinking about you all the time!
I'm hoping that after your baby arrives, someday we can get together and finally meet in person! With babes in arms, of course. Hang in there, sweetie!

Same goes to everyone else due soon or "past due".

Things are going well here. Finn is a doll. I could stare at him all day! I think he is going to be either a blonde or a red head.
He is a dream baby at night, so far! He wakes up for food and a dipe change at about 2 a.m. and between 6 and 7am every night, so I have been in heaven sleep-wise (knocking the proverbial wood!)
Donny woke up every hour and a half for weeks.

My two oldest are loving school so far!
All is good for now.
#134 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 09:14 PM

Congratulations Vicki and Katie!!!

2 Hugs to those of you waiting and feeling uncomfortable and tired.

Not getting enough sleep here and I envy all of you who are able to nap during the day!
Since I'm such a procrastinator, I still don't have lesson plans finished for my sub so that's been on my mind constantly. I think tonight I'll get some out of the way. Maybe then I can get a restful sleep.

They had a shower for me at work today. Really sweet. I got some kissaluvs, covers, an adjustable fleece pouch, some books and clothes I also ate some yummy cake!
#135 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 10:12 PM

What was up with MDC this afternoon? I lost so many posts...

The power is on! The tree is half gone! My house is clean! Life is good again.

Congratulations to Vickie and Katie! Can't wait to hear more about your sweet babes.

Melanie and Sarah - I really enjoyed both of your birth stories. Thanks for sharing.

Jen and Samantha - glad your appts went well today.

HeatherH - I wouldn't be eating too much that left me feeling crappy... I'm pming you what Aviva Jill Romm says about protein in urine. Also you might want to pm Pamamidwife She is an MDC member who is really good about answering pregnancy related questions.

Can you all believe this business about ANOTHER hurricane? This is ridiculous. If this third one comes I'm going to have to send a bunch of money to Pat Robertson. Because it will probably mean he was right about Florida ALL ALONG! I feel like I have about a 5 day window to have this baby in. I don't think my mw will let me have it at home without electricity. If only because it will be so uncomfortably hot for her and the other mw.

I'm so glad to be home. I am loving seeing all these gorgeous babies and reading about their journeys here!
#136 of 159 Old 09-09-2004, 11:59 PM

Congratulations on the new babies!

My dear friend Pam came by today to lift me up a little and nurture me. I have been feeling a little freaky lately, having weird dreams, the hormones are going crazy, thinking too much about all the things that could go wrong, and generally feeling in limbo because I am so ready for the baby to be here. She brought me all kinds of excellent comfort food and candles and a wonderful book to read, she made beaded bracelets for my kids, we painted our nails, and talked about birth. She also confirmed my thoughts about the baby's position and felt the head right down in the pelvis.
#137 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Congratulations on the new babies!

I'm hoping I have a better day than I did yesterday. I was so depressed and I hope it doesn't continue on to today. And I'm frustrated and discouraged as well. I'vetried so hard to be positive and optimistic for the past 9 months and I just can't seem to do it anymore. Saw the doctor yesterday, nothing's changed except I weigh more. I have a NST next Wednesday which I'm not looking forward to. All I wanted to do yesterday was curl up in bed and cry, but I didn't. The house still isn't clean, but at this point, I could care less. I changed the message on the answering machine and I'm not answering the phone. My mom has been calling daily, which is annoying. I feel really bad that my husband has been home the past two weeks for nothing. I've kind of been avoiding posting because all I'm doing is whining. Sorry.

The one bright spot is that I think we've decided to keep the kitten, which is probably insane of us and our families are going to throw a fit, but I don't care. As social as she is I just can't bear the thought of her alone in a cage somewhere waiting for someone to adopt her. She likes people and other cats way too much, that would be a cruel thing to do to her.

I think I'll go find some breakfast now and try to prod myself into cleaning even though I don't see the point. Hope everyone has a good day!
#138 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 09:27 AM

I haven't yet read over recent posts... But wanted to share my updated photos with whomever is interested. Did I ever show you gals my big belly cast? Here it is: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TRszcsWzC8g

And the babies' recent pics: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TRszcsWzC0A
#139 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 09:31 AM

CONGRATULATIONS, Katie and Vicki!!!!! Welcome little boy and girl. Looking forward to hearing all the gory details, as my dh likes to say...

OK, Nicolas wants to send everyone a hug: 2

Have a great day. My in laws arrive today at 3.
#140 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 10:18 AM

Lazuli, you need a hug big time!! 2

Please remember it can't last forever!!!!! YOu will have this baby, and withen a week you will forget how miserable you were and just be in heaven with your little one...

Caroline
#141 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 12:43 PM

Savannah those photos of the babies in the belly cast are awesome!!! I may have to try that out tonight before Mielle gets much bigger.

Did i tell you guys we did my belly cast WHILE I was in Labor!!! I actually started throwing up part way through the process!!! We hadn't gotten it done yet, and I really wanted a cast done, so i just sucked it up and lived through the contrax. The barfing was really too much though, by time we got done I was so relieved to be done... I then threw up a bunch more showering off afterwards.

Mielle is screaming, must go!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#142 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Lazuli, I seem to remember a certain woman in Minnesota who posted something AWFULLY DARN SIMILAR to your post last weekend... It is horrible, the waiting game. Especially when it seems like nothing at all is happening or changing. You go to the dr/mw and they tell you to not be concerned but let's do all these tests anyway. Yeah ok let's not be concerned! If you're not concerned why do you have to have a machine tell you that everything is all right?

My advice, for what it's worth, which might not be a lot since I have a hard time listening to it myself: if you want to crawl into bed, do it, you're not going to have the chance later. If your house isn't clean, who gives a rat's a*, life will go on even if your parents and in-laws aren't going to like it. If they give you crap about it and you feel like being snippy and rude to them about their expectations, I think you've got enough license to let them have a piece of your mind, and your dh should back you up. If you feel desperate and like bawling, bawl. Tears are one of the body's way of releasing spare quantities of hormones. (My dad used to work across the hall from one of the major tear researchers of our time.) GOOD FOR YOU for changing the answering machine message, and no, your husband hasn't been home for no good reason, this is a hard time in your life and him supporting you is vital.

GRR!

I thought we'd be having a baby today, I was having regular contractions starting at 4 AM, but I managed to fall back asleep and they went away. Having random ones today.

sistermama Sarah! Really now! *nudge* If you believe Pat Robertson was right, you can just send back all of those bumper stickers we sent you

Think I'll go have a shower.

j

#143 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 03:38 PM

Savannah the pics of the twins in the belly cast are the cutest things EVER! Now I wish I would have done one. Although I guess it isn't technically too late, I just don't have the energy. My Mom loved those pics....my little brother and sister are fraternal twins.

Anna I can't believe you did your cast in labor, that is craziness!!!
#144 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 04:34 PM

The kid dropped a bit, yay for my diaphragm!

Now *everyone* says it's a boy, ha ha. I'm more and more thrilled that no one (including myself) knows the sex of this kid.

I'm off the protein shakes, feeling soooo much better. Still can't leave the house during the day, due to the heat. Managing to amuse myself nonetheless.

Dh had a physical yesterday, got some bad news. He needs to loose a lot of weight and exercise to get his blood pressure down. People, he doesn't look fat to me at all! I don't get it. They say love is blind, but I really, really don't see it. Anyway, now we've got a new project, which is to get him set up with an eating plan. It's kind of a relief to yank the focus off myself for awhile. Any ideas about good books on eating and dieting? Dh is good with the exercise, although I would love to find a "Daddy and me" exercise book, so he can take care of the kid and loose weight at the same time..

Jen, good luck this weekend. I am very impressed with your attitude, lady.

All the best,
#145 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 05:13 PM

Jen, sounds like you're getting so close. 2 I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!!!
#146 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 05:39 PM

HeatherH - I really like anything by Dr. Andrew Weil. "8 Weeks to Optimal Health" might be a good place to start. Simple little things to implement one at a time.
#147 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 06:00 PM

Jen - have you SEEN the line of hedgehog baby clothes at Gymboree? So, so cute, even I'm tempted! They have it under baby boys, but I think it is very gender neutral.

Keep an eye on them as their prices ALWAYS go down!
#148 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

That whole line of clothing is SO sweet! And I agree, I also find them gender-neutral - kind of a rugged "let's-go-for-a-hike-in-the-woods" neutral.

HeatherH - what kind of an exerciser is your husband? I know that anything aerobic is good for blood pressure and men seem to drop weight like nobody's business when they do aerobic exercise. I foresee some stroller-pushing! I also foresee that for Jo for much the same reasons!! (Her doctor did give her a tall order, though, at the last physical: 1. Quit smoking; 2. Lower your cholesterol and 3. Lose about 40 pounds. Step 1 has been accomplished and I think that we're on the road to some more exercise with baby on the way; we have been going walking more but she's got bad knees from college softball and possibly the start of arthritis in her ankle... seems a bit much for a 30-year-old, doesn't it?)

Aha! Someone is home! early! cool. later!

jen

#149 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 PM

Heather, I would really recommend that your dh go see a practitioner that is holistically/naturally based, so that he can get some other ideas on how to help himself -- allopathic doctors tend to focus on losing weight (and at some point medication) but there are other things one can do to lower blood pressure, and those should be looked into especially even if the extra weight isn't the primary cause to begin with. What is his stress level like? And he might want to look at changing his *type* of food intake rather than the amount, as calorie restriction dieting can be just as hear on the body and heart as over-eating, and there are a lot of foods that is hard for the body to process, putting stress on it. He might also want to look at supplements. For instance, I found during this pregnancy that a side-effect of taking essential fatty acids is to lower blood pressure.
#150 of 159 Old 09-10-2004, 09:08 PM

We need to have some babies!!! I'm sending labor vibes out to anyone who wants them. Including myself! I've got to sneak this baby in before we lose power again.

Anyone doing anything fun this weekend? I'm going to a workshop at Jack's school tomorrow on "Conscious Discipline." Hoping to learn some good, new techniques, so I don't have a repeat day like today anytime soon. Jack and I spent all morning basically yelling at each other and arguing.

Jen - Yay for Jo quitting smoking! I didn't realize she had. I still struggle daily with not smoking, and I've quit for 2+ years. Kind of like being a recovering alcoholic I think...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page