Mothering Forum banner

Babies, babies, and more babies! - chat thread 9/4 - 9/10

12K views 158 replies 29 participants last post by  sistermama 
#1 ·
It is really, truly, 100% September now! And LABOR DAY is just around the corner...

Congratulations to newest babies of plantmommy (baby boy Reid, pictures on previous thread check them out he's so cute!) and Melanie (wardermom - baby girl as of yet unnamed). Who is next? HeatherB? Impatient Ima Vicki? Meredith? Wait and see.

Oh, ok, small recap: Sistermama Sarah and her family are shut up inside the house and hoping that hurricane Frances spares them the worst. Poor Jack is wound up. And Chrissy reported that Noah's cardio appt went well (check page 12 of last thread for full report). Lynsey is sick
and Meredith wants to know if anyone else has ever been advised to not use stairs for the first week post-partum.

Here's hoping for an exciting and healthy week all around!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Everyone!

Super Congratulations to Melanie and plantmommy! It is wonderful to hear of these babies as they keep coming!

Lynsey, don't worry about the pillows, they will get moved around and probably won't get in the way of the birth mess. The plastic on our bed was awesome, I would suggest safety pinning it to the mattress or mattress cover so it stays in place. And if you used more than one shower curtain, really duct tape the heck out of the seam to keep it together.

Things here are great, I am thinking of you all and ready to hear about more wonderful babies coming into the world!

Meredith, I have not heard about the stairs thing, although we have none in our home, so that's probably why. I can see it being pretty uncomfortable to go up and down for a few days.... Sometimes walking across the house is making me walk funny. I was advised however to stay off my feet a bit so things can recover without too much stress. My mw has been conservative with me though because I bled a bit more than I should have with my placenta separation.

I posted my birth story in case anyone hasn't gone over there.

I am learning so much about my post-partum body, my ribs hurt after sleeping for a while, I think maybe they are going back to where they came from and learning how to support the new boobs on top of them. It is absolutely fantastic to be able to sleep on my back again!

Happy wonderful baby welcoming vibes to all!

#4 ·
Well, surprise of suprises, I am having bloody show, which I have never had before! Doesn't mean anything is happening soon, but it does mean something is happening.
I have three dear girlfriends coming down today to do some blessingway type stuff, and then we are going to go have Thai food. It would be fun to have them around in early labor! We'll see what happens...

#7 ·
38 weeks and 6 days

I started having contractions last night before going to bed which were uncomfortable. These were not like the BH contractions I'd been having. I didn't sleep most of the night and finally the contractions started coming about 10 minutes apart for the rest of the night/morning. As the morning progressed, the contractions became a little more intense and every 8 minutes and then for a while every 4-5 minutes. I was just getting my hopes up and then all of a sudden they were coming every 10 minutes and then 15 minutes and now 8 minutes again.
I really had my heart set on having this baby on the 4th! Its a sentimental number as stupid as that sounds. My brother's b-day is July 4th, mine is August 4th, and just would have loved having my little boy on Sept. 4th! Oh well. Please send me some labor vibes this way! Thanks everyone. Good luck with your upcoming labor. Katie

#8 ·
This waiting is so not fun. I know, it's not even my due date yet, i shouldn't complain, but still.... I've had some odd pains here and there and my husband's asked if they were contractions and all I can do is shrug and say beats me, I've never had a baby before, how do I know. I am short one nerve to my uterus, and I don't know how that will effect anything. (When I had my last surgery for endo they did a LUNA procedure - laprascopic uterine nerve ablation to help with pain control. I think it's also made a difference with feeling Vaysh move. My husband had his hand on my tummy the other day and was commenting on feling Vaysh move. I couldn't feel anything.) I think I'll go make some deviled eggs and iced tea now.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy
My all these September babies are anxious to meet us, aren't they?!
Not anxious enough if you ask me!!
I'm on the verge of trying a remedy. It will work if the baby and I are ready, and it won't if we're not. I'm starting to get anxious about having baby before all of the postdates testing next week. So much for it being called a "non-stress test" - I'm stressing about it plenty.

Christi, I'm with you, that makes a jealous party of two. I don't know why Sprout can't do some of its dancing during the day instead of from 10:30 - midnight every night.

Good luck Linda! Hope something exciting happens soon!

Lazuli, being short a nerve to the uterus might be a bonus as you may actually feel less sensation during labor. There was an interesting article about a woman with paraplegia and her birth in this month's mothering, she wrote that one of her midwives hypothesized that she may have had a quicker, easier labor because of her paraplegia.

Sydney is here with greetings. I am craving something sweet and so am going to go find something for that sweet tooth while I wait for this auction on eBay to end.

Does clothing ever affect how a fetus is lying? I've been wearing these shorts with a big belly panel that cuts off right below my belly, and Sprout seems to like to lie higher when i wear them, which, of course, I don't like much at all! Any thoughts?

jen

#10 ·
Jen, I think you're on to something there. The day I had the bad shortness of breath, I was wearing similar pants - the somewhat tight elastic pushing the baby up - and then I laid on my side. Might have shifted the kid up and caused the pressure on my diaphragm. Since then, I've worn very loose pants, and my breathing has been fine.

Anyway, there's my two cents for ya.

#13 ·
Good mornin', good mornin'... it's great to be up early

Except when your contractions seem to stop because you're in an upright position! grr

They woke me again, 3 inside about 20 minutes, very crampy sorts, but when I decided that getting up might be a good idea, looks like they've gone away again. Was hoping for a moment there that my student might get his wish and have a birthday buddy (he was pulling for a 9/5 baby, just like he is).

At least I've got Sydney the faithful here.

jen

#14 ·
I can't help but to get up at 7 every morning, even on weekends. I'd love to sleep in a bit, but nooooo, the baby won't have that. I guess I should be thankful that it's not earlier.

Plantmommy, I read your birth story and it was amazing! Wow!

Not much else going on here, just going to attempt to clean the house more and teach my second to last birth class. I have a feeling about the baby coming this week, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. We'll see.

Pam

#15 ·
Well, we've lost the HUGE HUGE tree that shaded our entire back yard. I know I should feel thankful that it didn't come onto our house, but all my shade is gone! It is so important in Florida, especially when you have kids. Plus the cleanup is going to be dreadful. At least we still have power but I can hear transformers blowing. Feeling sad and over it.

#17 ·
Hello everyone!!!

This happy, tired joyful mama is here to say hello! I've missed you all very much and am looking forward to telling you all about the loviliest little girl in the world.... MY Daughter!

Mielle was born under a full moon in safety and peace in our bedroom. The journey i took to get her was spiritual and amazing. Bringing her into this world was a transforming experience. I am so filled with joy and peace it is undescribable.

I am also exhausted, super saturated with hormones and indescribable feelings. Being a mommy is the hardest job i have ever had. I am so grateful for all the love and support I am receiving. I don't know how I would have managed without my darling dearest amazing husband... Jerome, my deeply supportive older sister and my comforting calm mother.

I haven't had a chance to read any posts yet, I thought i would just say hello and try to read later. I do know that you sent me lots of love and support during this last week... and that many of you have been giving birth as well. I can't wait to get it all sorted out! Congratulations in advance i am so excited for all of you. and to those of you still waiting to bring your child out into this world i have one thing to say.......

REST well, right now while you still can!!!!

hugs and kisses galore!

#18 ·
It's so wonderful to see you back, Anna. Congratulations! I'm glad that birthing Mielle was such a wonderful experience.

Plantmommy, it's so neat to hear that you had Reid Sept 2nd! I was thinking about you while I laboured. It was comforting to know that someone else was in the middle of the same process with me.
Welcome baby!

:
:
: And now I'd like to introduce our newest edition, our very own baby girl born Sept 2nd...Arowen Elizabeth Ernice.

She's doing very well. She's very sweet. She's very loved (loved too much sometimes by people that are not careful enough with her
) I love her very much and it was so worth it!!!

Jen, it'll be pretty soon. It seems like it will never happen, but it always does! I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best!

#20 ·
Wow! I just read Alttara/plantmommy's birth story! AWESOME!
And the pics... too cute. Look at the beautiful ROUND face... no old man squish there.
And nursing like a pro.

Yeah, glad that Anna's back. Can't wait to hear the birth story there.

Sarah-
so sorry to hear about the loss of your tree. That's awful. We have a 2 HUGE oaks in our backyard that shade it wonderfully. It wouldn't be the same without them. Hopefully you'll be able to plant something to help re-establish some shade. Glad it missed the house!!

Melanie-
about stairs. I've heard limit the stair use as much as possible. But when you live in a house with stairs... you have use them occasionally.

Lazuli-
carrying the baby. They recommend not carrying anything "heavier" than the baby for the first week or so. You'll feel the difference if you do. It might up your bleeding a little bit. Just don't try to move the tv.
I remember after Jack was born, they were like don't lift anything heavier than 10 pounds. And I look over at my 20+ pound 2 year old DD... yeah like THAT's gonna happen.
Tori was actually very good about not asking to be picked up. I'd get her to climb up onto her bed so that I could pick her up that way without having to actually LIFT her.

Besides, all you should be doing that first week is laying around with a wee one attached to your breast.

HeatherB-
Come one baby2! We are all waiting excitedly to met you.

Well yesterday, MIL came and took both Tori and Jack for the weekend. This is the first time that Jack had been away from me overnight (and me him).
It was soooo bizarre feeling. Especially when we got into the Disco and neither carseat was there... the plethora of toys, grit, crumbs and child junk was still in the backseat :LOL :LOL but no seats. So after they left, I got into the shower... nice long warm shower with no interupptions... bliss. As I was getting out, I was thinking, hmmm I'll get David to come in a rub some lotion/oil to keep my skin from getting dry and... well is something else happens...
... that won't be a bad thing.
And who do I hear in the living room with David... my MOM!
I swear that woman has the worst timing!! And she was bent that I'd "given her babies away" because the kids weren't here. WELL MOM, maybe if you CALLED to say you wanted to come by???
So no fun with David in the afternoon.

Oh and she is STILL convinced that I'm going to go early.
Okay MOM, whatever, live in your little delusional dreamworld.

After Mom finally left, she knew we were trying to go out to dinner and a movie, we went out.
Had vietanmese food... was wonderful!! And we went to see Vanity Fair with Reese Witherspoon. It was really good. David even enjoyed it. I think there was one other guy in the entire theatre of 20 people. We had to go to the 10:20 showing because my mom wouldn't leave. We both slept in until after 10:30 this morning... it was sooo weird. No child climbing into the bed saying at 7am "mommmy I'm hungry". :LOL No grumping from the other child saying come get me...

It was wonderful and... lonely.

We are about to go run a couple of errands and then go to 100% Taquito for lunch (LOVE that place) and then we're going to go see ANOTHER movie. :LOL :LOL We're going to go see Hero (the new Jett Li movie) and it's in Mandarin/subtitles which is sooo cool. The other night I caught part of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on cable and it was the WORST dudding job. It was as bad as those old Kungfu movies.
I hate when they destroy a good movie with horrible dubbing. I'm a big foreign film buff, got to have the subtitles.

Okay, guess I should wrap this up and get going.
Hope to read more baby arrivals when I check in again.

#21 ·
Hey, Samantha, we had Vietnamese for dinner last night too. Was hoping the curry spice would kick some things into motion. Well, I guess it did kinda.

Moms have exquisite timing, don't they?
At least I know mine won't randomly show up because she doesn't drive herself into the BIG SCARY CITY...

I'm off to make myself more human, as my friend Cheryl is bringing salsa over. What a nice gal.

#22 ·
nak.....oooo it feels so cool to type that! oh wait, she stopped nursing, but my arm is full of baby, so i'm skipping caps and such anyway.

anna, its so great to hear from you, i know just how utterly in love you are feeling, me too!

go linda! come on baby blue!

well, nessa is awake, so i'm gonna go enjoy this little window of eyeballs.

#23 ·
Plantmommy, I loved your sons birth story and that 1st picture you linked us to on the other thread of him still in the water is absolutely beautiful! I hope to get many pictures like that.

Sheryl, Thanks for the advice on the mattress liner thingy. I didnt even think to duct tape it together, but after a few minutes of the kids jumping it had slid right out from under the sheet onto the floor. I have a feeling Ill be replacing it many times before I actually go into labor.

Has there been any recent word from Katienewmomma, HeatherB and/or Linda? Thinking of you all...

Melanie, Your daughter has a beautiful name! Im happy to hear that you are doing so well.

I went to look at the maternity pictures I had taken 2 weeks ago and they turned out well. I was only able to order 5 different poses though and I think the photographer was kindof irritated. I will get to pick them up on Wednesday and will try to scan and upload them to shutterfly.

One last thing...does anyone know what it means when you have contractions that hurt on your upper thigh? I havent even been having many braxton hicks yet, but sometimes Ill have a very painful contraction that is centered on my right upper thigh. Ive never had that happen before so am curious...

#24 ·
Just a quick note to let you all know that our baby is here! It's a boy! We are so surprised as we had thought he was a girl (mama-sound, not ultrasound!). He is gorgeous and healthy. Born Sunday, September 5, 12:48am (my MILs 60th bday). 7lbs 2oz, 20.5in, 13.75" head. Smaller by quite a bit than his big brother was and much smaller than I expected.

As you might guess, days and days of labor was difficult. The end was particularly hard, with a nuchal hand complicating delivery as well as a stubborn cervical lip. We did it, though! I am still pretty unbelieving. Anyway, will post more later as well as pics soon.

Congrats to all the other new mommies and babies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.