matured placenta? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-04-2004, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

MY OB just told me that my last ultrasound (I'm high risk- long story...) showed a matured placenta. At the time of the ultrasound I was only 34 weeks and he said the placenta was a 40 week placenta. Anyone heard of this or have experience with it? He said we'll do weekly NSTs (which I've already been doing...again, long story) and amniotic fluid checks. I'm very curious about this matured placenta so any info or experiences would be appreciated Thanks mamas!!!!

SAHMama to the "Fantastic Four"- 10 yr old b/g twins, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl... : and expecting a miracle baby Feb. 2010...: Married for 11 yrs to my handsome Police Officer :cop:
#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2004, 07:03 PM

Does it maybe just mean that you have a large placenta? I had a really large placenta with Jack, and it just meant that I bleed a little more than I would if I had had a smaller placenta. Never heard of it being "diagnosed" during an ultrasound though...
#3 of 4 Old 09-04-2004, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

The OB said it's a fully matured placenta but didn't go into too much detail. The only thing he said is because it's matured (40 week- I have no idea how they know that through ultrasound...) is that if it stops giving her nutrients then she may start drinking the amniotic fluid and that's when the fluid would go down. (unless I misunderstood...). I have my regular OB on Thursday so I'll ask him more then too. But if anyone has heard of this, info please Thanks!!!

SAHMama to the "Fantastic Four"- 10 yr old b/g twins, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl... : and expecting a miracle baby Feb. 2010...: Married for 11 yrs to my handsome Police Officer :cop:
#4 of 4 Old 09-04-2004, 11:10 PM

OK, this is my shot in the dark, but I've been hearing about placental deterioration just for educational reasons, considering I'm past my due date - after 40 weeks a placenta can start to calcify and deteriorate, and it no longer helps to produce amniotic fluid. This can create an environment where it is no longer a good place for the baby to be, and it's in the baby's best interest to help it come out as soon as possible.

I'm assuming that this is what your OB is talking about - that your placenta has reached an age where it might be starting to go beyond being completely healthy. I am scheduled (hope I don't need to go) for an AFI next week, an ultrasound where they will check the state of my placenta and the amount of amniotic fluid. These are to help determine whether the uterus is still a healthy place for baby to be.

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page