More babies this week? Chat thread 9/11 - 9/17 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badomama
Anna, I'm totally sympathetic. i'm alternating between hot and cold packs, baths, wash clothes, etc--and i'm not even that engorged. But I used to be a aaa cup person who can jog without bra and now I'm spilling out of a large Bravado. LOL!

Steph, try pumping just a little. I found with my pregnancies a hand pump used just once or twice a day worked wonders. Try the Avent Isis if you don't have a pump, it is inexpensive and fairly comfy. I would pump MAXIMUM 4 ounces at a time, just enough to relieve some pressure...

Quote:
I got about 5 or 6 hours of sleep last night!!! We finally learned to nurse lying down and decided to just sleep rather than worrying about putting Oz back in his cosleeper. We went from a 13 min stretch between feedings to a 1.5 hour stretch. I hope this doesn't mean the cosleeper will turn into a bedside table only

I think our bassinett has turned into a blanket keeper. Jackson loves to sleep on his Boppy pillow next to us, we started that when he was congested and it seems to be how he sleeps best now...go figure!!

Caroline
#122 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 10:29 AM

Congrats to Heather and Steph.
Jen In Mpls- It looks like it's you and me. I have been in and out of labor for a week and I lost my plug 8 days ago. But like Lynsey, I am only 38.5 weeks. Don't you think it odd my dr. had me scheduled for induction this morning. Due date Sept 25.
My son choose this day months ago, He is 11 and not very pleased with an addition to the family. I sure would like to have her today NATURALLY!!!!
#123 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
Mamas with experience, I NEED help! What is up with my little boy? I am trying so hard to enjoy these last few weeks with just the two of us but he is making it so hard. Yesterday he refused to nap and threw tantrum after tantrum. This morning he is already miserable and crabby and it is only 9:15. ARGH!

How old is he?? My three year old went through this right before the baby was born as well. Are you getting all the baby stuff out and starting to set up? I found that is when they tend to get crazed, when they actually start to see all the changes going on....Can you lay down with him with a movie on to see if you can get him to take a good nap? That is about the only way I can get Bridget to nap now...

Caroline
#124 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 10:36 AM

Caroline, yep he's almost 3. Well we actually haven't done any baby stuff in the past 2 days. It must be related to the baby but I can't figure out how to stop it. He is being such a jerk. He just bit me. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Nancy!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#125 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 10:42 AM

I LOVE the photos Savannah, Danielle and Sistermama Sarah. I'm sure I'm missing someone else's. Must go back and scan. Those are some well fed kids. I can't wait until my skinny little old man gets some chub.

Caroline, thanks for the pumping advice. I did get a pump but haven't put it together yet. For some reason I fear it might make things worse if my breasts think (mind of their own?) that he is feeding that much. Won't they just keep producing that much more. Won't I just have to keep pumping if I start it now? Do I have some faulty logic here? I know everyone is doing it at this point, but I don't know why so I haven't tried yet. What do you think?

Off to nurse. Oz loves his grandma's knuckle though. She's here for a week and I admit I am loving having her around!

Steph
#126 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 11:31 AM

Chrissy - Jack did the exact same thing for a week before Lucy was born - maybe you'll go sooner than you think? Somehow they just know that things are about to change. Is Noah going to be there for the birth? John remembered to wake Jack up as I was pushing, and I'm so glad that he was there! He was thrilled and kept saying , "baby came out mommy! baby came out!"

On another cute note, I was walking around the house with Lucy inside my shirt for some good skin to skin and showed it to Jack, because I thought he would think it was funny. Well he panicked and started saying, "No baby back in tummy!!!" As soon as I showed him that he could peek inside and see her, he was fine, but I thought it was so endearing that he isn't ready to send her back yet.

Steph - I missed the link to Oscar's pics - point me in the right direction?

Jen - thinking about you
#127 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 11:37 AM

Caroline - Lucy is getting starting to look pretty yellow today (which I know is pretty normal as she is 3 days old). However I have to take her back to the dr on Friday and would rather not have to deal with billirubin levels, etc. What do you think I should be doing? Some sunlight exposure and lots of nursing? Anything else?
#128 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 12:09 PM

SisterSarah,

Those pictures of Lucy are great! I LOVE the 1st one. She is a cutie!

Okay, I think all of us girls that havent given birth yet think we will be the last one. But, Im telling ya, its going to be me.
#129 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
Caroline - Lucy is getting starting to look pretty yellow today (which I know is pretty normal as she is 3 days old). However I have to take her back to the dr on Friday and would rather not have to deal with billirubin levels, etc. What do you think I should be doing? Some sunlight exposure and lots of nursing? Anything else?

Keep her in the sun and nurse her EVERY HOUR!!!! Whatever you can get in her. The more fluids the more bilirubin should come through. Whatever you do, DON"T LET THEM MAKE YOU STOP BREASTFEEDING!! It is a myth. There is such thing as breastfeeding jaundice, but it is rare and usually doesn't show until two weeks. I found all this out after I refused to formula feed Jackson. It is common at this point...good luck. Just keep nursing her whenever you can get your nipple in her mouth!!

Caroline
#130 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 02:22 PM

Chrissy,

We're going through the same type of stuff with my 4 year old and my 1 year old has been sleeping horribly. I can't remember what happened a week before my second was born, but the MORNING before, my then 2 1/2 year old was crying hysterically. I asked him what was wrong and he said he was worried about me and the baby. *I* had no idea the baby was coming that afternoon, but he did. Little kids definately have some kind of innate sense. I'm actually watching them for signs more so than me

I'm thinking of calling in a sitter to give me a break though -enough pinching, hitting and name calling for me on top of being huge and sciatica and everything else.

Chris
#131 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
ICaroline, thanks for the pumping advice. I did get a pump but haven't put it together yet. For some reason I fear it might make things worse if my breasts think (mind of their own?) that he is feeding that much. Won't they just keep producing that much more. Won't I just have to keep pumping if I start it now? Do I have some faulty logic here? I know everyone is doing it at this point, but I don't know why so I haven't tried yet. What do you think?

Steph

Only pump once or twice a day and ONLY 4 ounces at the most. That will just get the edge off, but really won't prompt more milk production. If you pump at the same times every day, once the engorgement slows down pump only 2 ounces. I just stopped after that, and it never made more engorgement. Just don't be tempted to pump more!! It feels so good to empty a little, it is tempting!! And freeze the milk you pump, Gerber makes good bags to freeze it. YOu can always use it to mix with cereal or something later...

Caroline
#132 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 02:37 PM

Just my little freezing tip, lay the bags flat to freeze and the milk will thaw out so much more quickly!
#133 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 04:03 PM

Sarah, very cute thing Jack said. Also, I can't believe how wonderfully chunky Lucy is already!!! I guess those little diapers won't last as long as originally planned, eh? =O)

Chrissy, hugs. 2 I'm glad to see others had encouraging similar stories with their older kids to share with you.

Where's Jen? sleeping again? massage? chiropractor? Making yummy recipes? hmmmm...

Almama Chris... "I'm thinking of calling in a sitter to give me a break though -enough pinching, hitting and name calling for me on top of being huge and sciatica and everything else." -- I had to laugh because I was thinking, it could be either one of you doing the pinching, hitting and name calling at this point, haha. Just kidding of course, but it did make me chuckle to picture you throwing those fits.

Poor Anna and Steph! I was SO RELIEVED to pump out that extra milk! And I'm OK with having extra milk on hand. Turned out I had a couple of days where for some reason my production really slowed down (less water? less good food? less rest? a little sick?) and it was good knowing we could just use that expressed milk and not open that can of free Enfamil we got from the hospital...

(Which by the way is already gone. With McKenna so small and me not able to nurse 2 kiddos AND pump regularly (I wish I had Anna's problem!), dh and my mom and sis and in-laws were all worried that she wasn't getting enough milk, especially when her latch was poor. So we've gone through almost two of the free little cans of powder from the hospital, and darn it if dh didn't go ahead and buy a bigger one over the weekend. I was hoping to be able to at least not actually purchase any formula... even if I already missed my chance to exclusively feed with breastmilk...)

blah blah enough for now. Hey, does anyone know when I should start buying size Medium diapers??
#134 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 04:13 PM

OK, I feel so clever.... I just figured out how to magically transform our WalMart and other mainstream gifts into free cloth diapers!

We got LOTS (I should count them for the heck of it, you'd be astonished) of disposable diapers given to us... and assorted small things that we didn't ask for... oh, and a $65 pack n play that we didn't need... and also received nearly $150 in WalMart gift cards (!!!) (wow, and I thought I wouldn't be getting showers or gifts a few months ago!)

Anyway, we've gotten nearly everything we need, so today I realized I can return all that stuff to Wal Mart, exchange it for more gift cards... Then give the gift cards to Matt for when he does the grocery shopping. In turn, he will give me cash/PayPal for the amount he spends in groceries... VOILA! Free cloth diapers or whatever else I want to spend my money on that can't be found at Wal Mart or ToysRUs. (We also got ToysRUs $$).

Maybe some of you could do it too!
#135 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Just don't be tempted to pump more!! It feels so good to empty a little, it is tempting!! And freeze the milk you pump, Gerber makes good bags to freeze it. YOu can always use it to mix with cereal or something later...
I'm trying to go at least 18 hours between pumpings... you know, supply and demand.
And speaking of breast milk bags... you know those cool "My mommy's milk" bottles we saw online, they make storage bags too and I've found them at Target! The brand is Lansinoh and they are really cute! i haven't tried unthawing any yet... there sure hasn't been a need!

I actually left Mielle alone with my mom for over an hour today and my mom tried to feed her with a bottle (with my permission) and I'm pleased to report she wouldn't take it! te he heee! I know it's silly, but I'm really glad she was having none of it!

My midwife has agroup meeting tonight and has invited us to come and share our birth story with the group. I would really like to, but.... It means getting dressed and going across town, dealing with Mielle in different surroundings... the works. I'd have to pick up Jerome at school and get us there on time. I just don't know what to do... I'm really torn. I've already left the house twice today and am really tired. We need anap, my girl and I! But I would really like to meet some like minded people in the area and share the story of how Mielle joined our family. It was such a joyful experience!

Must be decisive!

Later.. love to all!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#136 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 04:20 PM

I just got word that one of my couples from my childbirth class gave birth last night completely naturally. Yay! I'm so excited. I just finished teaching my first series of classes this past weekend, and they're my first couple to have their baby. I only have my final to take before I'm fully certified, and that should arrive in the mail in the next week or so.

I had more contrax this morning with a lot of achey back stuff going on. I went about my morning just the same and made it to my midwife's appt, which was uneventful. The car ride home was so very uncomfortable though with the contrax. Of course, the contrax have almost stopped and who knows when thay're going to come again. To make matters worse, I had to deal with yet another phone call from my mom again today. Ugh!

As for when to start buying medium-sized diapers, I've already started. Just one here and there. I don't know what works or will fit the best, so I've been limiting myself to only one at a time. Maybe I'll go do some shopping therapy and pick out another one today while waiting for labor to start.

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#137 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
Hey, does anyone know when I should start buying size Medium diapers??
Most diaper sites include some info regarding the weight range for each size of diaper.... how big are your little monkeys???? Do you know their current weights?? How prepared do you want to be for the change in size???

Trust your gut mama, if it seems like a good idea to start ordering medium size now, well go for it!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#138 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 05:21 PM

I had to laugh because I was thinking, it could be either one of you doing the pinching, hitting and name calling at this point, haha.

Too funny!! YES I feel this way -but I'm saving all that up for my husband when I go into labor!!
#139 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 06:09 PM

All quiet here.

Dh is doing better with his diet, and very appreciative of the snacks I'm making him.

We tried to do perinneal massage last night, and, um OW! It felt like he was slicing me with a knife, but he claims his nails are as filed and trimmed as they can get. I showed him my super short nails (I'm a nail biter from way back), but he claims he can't get his as short as mine, so I'll do the massage myself when I take a bath. I can't reach my cervix the way I used to, but I can reach far enough inside to do the stretching and all that.

Otherwise, the cooler weather continues. I'm thinking of going out again today.

Yesterday, one of my cats flipped out and attacked the other two cats every time they tried to come near me. He thinks he's the baby of the family, he even demands to be held... anyway, I had to wake up a few times last night and separate him from them - it looked like he was really biting and scratching hard. Yikes.

Talk to you all soon.
#140 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 07:00 PM

Ouch, I hear perineal massage before real deal has begun isn't effective. Makes sense to me; stretching something before its time. Apparently the contrax, hormones and extra blood flow make the perineum stretch, not a moment before. But I did tear both times a bit, so I'm no expert! Oh, this last time the doc put olive (?) oil on my perineum and even up into cervix/birth canal, and those babies really did come out fast and easily!

My munchkins are probably about 7 1/2 and 6 1/2 pounds. Maybe 8 and 7. I wonder how old they usually are when they are 13 or 16 pounds??? I don't remember with Nicolas, but he was a big fatty by 2 months old...

Too funny, Almama!
#141 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hey women,

still here!

Had a decent night's sleep with low, crampy-feeling contractions when I was awake. Did not interfere with my sleep, though. Midwife called at 8:30 to say that she consulted with two OBs in her clinic who concurred that, given my health and the baby's health, if we keep a close eye on the baby's well-being, that I can keep waiting on this baby for a while. This means daily NSTs and AFIs on Thursday and Monday. But I prefer that over an induction.

Had an NST and appt today, baby was perfect in the NST, kicked like crazy and rolled around, we officially declined the induction, and she tried to strip my membranes but couldn't get her finger in far enough to bend it and sweep. Baby dropped 1 station in 2 days and is at a -1 right now. I have been having on/off ctx all day and am going to go spend some more quality time with the breast pump to see if I can't encourage them.

I am in much better spirits today, probably because I feel like we have a plan now and everyone supports the decision to wait. If baby is still not here by the weekend, which we are hoping it will be because our doula is getting married on Sunday!!! - we will think again about the pitocin induction.

Thanks to those of you who are thinking about me

Savannah - we got almost that much in target gift certificates and are hoarding them to buy important baby items such as cat litter and shampoo

Anna - Be selfish! If you and Mielle need naps take them! There will always be next time. As you advised - trust your gut

be well, all,

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#142 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Vicki! Hasn't that simchat bat happened yet?? I'm dying to find out your daughter's name!!!

#143 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 08:09 PM

deleted for privacy.
#144 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 08:09 PM

Jen, I'm glad you're feeling better about your plans and that Sprout is happy as can be.

Thanks ladies for sharing all of the breast feeding info. That's something I haven't read too much about. I hope that's okay and somehow, I'll know what to do.

Had our last birthing class last night and an appointment yesterday. Everything's fine, just feeling big all of a sudden. Clothes aren't fitting and I'm getting a bit weepy. Today, at school, my co-worker asked how I was and I just started tearing up. I think I'm just overly tired and now, I should be napping
#145 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Time sure is flying by fast.
I'm here hoping baby stays put till next week,with Ivan coming.
I would like to have power for hot water. They're telling us our power could go out for a week! So if you can, send me some stay in baby vibes.
Haven't had any contractions that I know of so hopefully we are safe.
Goodluck to all those really close to holding your babies.
#146 of 207 Old 09-15-2004, 11:44 PM

Oscar[/URL] link ended up at bottom for some reason...

Testing to see if this link works. If it does, here are more photos of the Oz than anyone ever wanted (except the grandfolks).

Thanks for the pumping advice Caroline. Might try it soon.

Jen, I am thinking about you all the time! Good that baby isn't stressed and you sound pretty calm yourself.

We made dinner for the neighbors who had us over last Wed when my water broke on their couch. Again they made me laugh so hard that I almost lost more of another kind of water. Need to work on those Kegels!

StephOscar
#147 of 207 Old 09-16-2004, 03:41 AM

Another appointment... another boring day. No change. Talked with OB and he thinks things will just happen pretty quickly. Pretty much what happened with Jack. :LOL Basically at my 3pm appointment (day after Jack's due date) I was 1cm/20% effaced (same as the previous week and had LOTS of contrax for days between too ) to waters breaking at 6:30pm and then being 7cm/100% effaced at 8:30pm. LOL! He was born at 11:41pm. And it only took that long because they were so busy with soo many babies being born (it was a full house), that the nurse hadn't checked me in a while. He probably have could been born a bit earlier, we also had to wait for my OB to get there. LOL! The nurse had me push once and was like "WOOOH! Stop! Call Stern NOW!!" Guess I was a good pusher.

Anyways, he was like He said "you 'might' have the baby tonight... but I think we'll see you next week. Make another appointment." He said "after next week, if we needed to make another appointment... we *could* schedule an induction if..." I just shook my head and he said "Good! Let nature do its work". It's nice to not be pressured to induce.

Those pumping and storing... Gerber bags are the best!! They are a nice thick quality plastic and they have a strong "ziploc" closure. DON'T use the ones with the metal wire twist-tie closure... they leak!! They didn't have the Lansinoh ones when we first were freezing milk with Tori (at least no one had them where I looked). Those look pretty good, I'll have to check them out. Definitely lay the bags flat when freezing, makes it easier to thaw and also they take up A LOT less space and stack easier. I always used a small ziploc bag to freeze the milk bag in, in case it leaked, it would only leak inside the baggies instead of the entire freezer. You do want to put them inside an additional freezer bag for extra protection once they are frozen. It also helps keep them together and you don't end up with wayward bags. :LOL Keep them towards the center of the freezer and away from the outside walls. The temperature fluctuates near the outer wall too much. Also check the milk. You also might need to scald it before freezing. I didn't have to with Tori but found out later I needed to with Jack. My breastmilk was totally different with Jack than with Tori. There can be an excess of lipase enzyme produced and it 'feeds' on some of the fat components of the the milk and it will cause it to "sour" or taste bad. That was why Jack wouldn't take any EBM, it would sour within 2 hours of being refriderated. It would be sour even if I put it straight into the freezer after pumping. I ended up pitching close to 100 oz of EBM because he refused to take it because of it. Since he refused a bottle (EBM or formula) I didn't bother with pumping anymore so I didn't learn about the lipase until it was too late. So check your milk before you start storing a lot of it.

Meredith-
One of the best breastfeeding books I've found is The Breastfeeding Book by Martha Sears. I recommend it over the LLL Womanly Art of BFing book because they can be a little 'militiant'. The LLL has a specific agenda and doesn't always allow for reality to intrude on the ideals if YKWIM. There is lots of good info in the LLL book but it can be a little bit scare tactic too. Sears really approaches it will good straight forward information.

Savannah-
When to buy medium diapers... when ever you want. Seriously, keep your eyes open for good deals on things that you have found work with the twins body shape and things that are easy and you are grabbing first to put on them. You can built a much bigger stash at cheaper prices if you do it gradually... don't ask me how I know this... And very smart on the gift card front... you'll be a diaper hyena in no time.

Chrissy-
Its very possible Noah is feeding off of your tension & stress... or he's just being a typical "3-year old" that you'd love to smother with a pillow... ask me how I know. Somedays I feel like all Tori and I do is grate each other. Part of it is that age, they are trying to assert their independance but man can it be frustrating. 2 2 2

Pam-
How wonderful to hear a couple from your class went completely naturally! You obviously were able to give them the tools they need to be able to have the birth they wanted. Awesome job!!

Welcome to Chris/Almama and NancyJ!!

HeatherH-
Glad to hear that your DH is doing well on his diet. It can be very difficult to diet, especially while you are pregnant. Ask my DH.

Vicki-
Beautiful name. I've always liked Lilah.

Steph-
Some of those pictures of Oz are classic. Love the 'bookrest' one. :LOL And the one were the two of you are gazing at each other... And he's such a sweet sleeper... love that sprawl!! Thank you for sharing those.

Okay it's late... again... off to bed now that Radish has settled down for the Haagan Daaz Orange Sorbet. Got to love that it's 100% fat free! The chocolate is pretty awesome too.
#148 of 207 Old 09-16-2004, 04:31 AM

Current stats...

Boys: 12

Girls: 11
#149 of 207 Old 09-16-2004, 08:49 AM

Hi everyone! Here is my irregular check-in. I've been reading up and looking at pictures of babys. Congratulations! They are all beautiful.

I am now 39 weeks, 5 days, and I am bored! I'm ready to have this baby I'll tell ya. My spirits are good and physically I am doing much better. I'm now sleeping through the night. I added another pillow to prop me up more and that made a huge difference.

I'm sending Jen huge labour vibes. I've been thinking of you. I hope the NSTs continue to go well and you stay happy and stress free too. This baby will come out eventually.

MIL arrives tomorrow and then we will see what can be done to entertain her for a week in case baby does not arrive while she's here. Any suggestions? I figure walks and shopping but even then I'm limited. DH says she's not expecting to be entertained. I just hope she's not too bored...well and I hope her presence doesn't make me feel like a watched pot. IYKWIM

All the best,
Julia
#150 of 207 Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

If I'm not stressed, Jo is. Last night she finally (thank God) gave herself permission to admit her anxiety about me going too far post-dates - concern for baby and concern for me and my health. Once she got it out she felt a LOT better.

I had a surge of energy last night and put out the recycling and garbage (including cleaning the cat box, shhh, don't tell, but I washed my hands really well) and vacuuming the study. Could something please come of all of these little contractions?

Think of us today, we'll be running around like crazy. We had to pick a clinic way out in the western suburbs (Danielle, we'll be waving to you as we drive by!) for our AFI because that was the only clinic that had an opening.

I'm sleepy still so I'm going back to bed. I think I snored a lot last night and kept Jo up.

jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page