Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
He’s here…

Aidan James Hunter AKA Radish

Born: September 26th at 11:30am
Weight: 8 Pounds 12 Ounces
Woohoo, Samantha!! Welcome, Aidan! You guys picked a great name! Can't wait for the full story and pics!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#32 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations Samantha, welcome Aiden!!! :
#33 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 04:17 PM

Welcome Angus and Aiden!

Wheeeeeee!!!!!!

Happy labor vibes to all in waiting!

Jen-
Sounds like the milk fairy has arrived finally?

Here's Finn today....I LOVE this shirt!
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBt3LRuxbMT2

He is now sleeping at night from about 11pm until 5am!!!! For the past week or so.
It's like heaven!
Then he's usually awake until 6 or 6:30, but goes back down until 8 or so.
I think maybe that's one benefit of a formula fed baby? They sleep for longer stretches sooner? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Trust me, though, I'd rather be nursing.
I do grieve it still.
Sigh.

Washing dipes today....anyone else LOVE diaper laundry?
I am really enjoying cloth so far, even the laundry! I love snapping all the little fitteds together and matching up the doublers to the right dipes! Sick, I know.
I also washed my wool covers, and they are hanging outside in the pure blue sunny sky and 62 degree weather as we speak. I love that you don't have to wash the wool all the time unless it's poopy. Surprisingly it never stinks like pee in the meantime!
I can't believe Finn is 5 weeks old today!
#34 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 04:21 PM

I forgot to mention my new sling, which I love! It's a Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch.
I wore Finn while out shopping this weekend, and people were freaking over it!
We got responses from "Oh my gosh, that is SO NEAT!" to "Do you have a dog or something in there?"

I think it's easier to use with a newborn than a Maya Wrap is.
I do like the Maya Wrap when the baby is older.
#35 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the milk fairy kind of came, I'm not goin' a gusher or anything... t has been sated and we have not had to supplement but he has lost a little weight. the dr (saw today) does not seem concerned but wants to check his weight on thur. he still is not pooping much but she isn't worried because he's not blocked up or anything. just another case of "you're doing everything right..."

t broke out into a lovely rash today, dr says it's just hormones.

is being concerned about EVERYTHING just a condition of new motherhood?

caroline you are of course absolutely right, I would not wish my little fella back for a moment. That 9:30 - 10:30 hour is just a bad one for me.

We had a great night last night - we are both getting the hang of nursing lying down. I did not have to get up with him until 6 AM! That was the point where he needed to burp... and burp... and burp.

Danielle haven't these days been gorgeous?!!!

Congrats Samantha and welcome Aidan!

Have to eat my lunch.

xo, j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#36 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 05:15 PM

Congratulations Samantha!!!! Welcome Aiden!
#37 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 07:19 PM

Welcome Aiden! Congratulations Samantha!

To those waiting... only a few more days now!

Oz farts a hello to you all.

Feeling better today. Rhoids only hurt for BMs. Dh came home with a better attitude. Ahhh, sigh and smile.
#38 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 09:07 PM

Congratulations Samantha! Welcome Aiden! Cant wait to hear more about the birth and baby & see lots of pictures!
#39 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

More pictures of Tristan than anyone should really want to see:

Tristan's web page

One of Tristan and his friend Oscar on p 2!

#40 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 10:19 PM

Yay! Welcome Aiden!! I can't wait to see and hear more Samantha.

Jen, thanks for all the pics of your beautiful boy!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#41 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 PM

I got fluffy mail today! I got two xs Fuzzi Bunz and 6 Kissaluv size 0 dipes. I love getting fluffy mail!

Naps are non-exsistent around here. I am lucky because both boys will nap at the same time each afternoon so I rush around to get the house work done since DH won't help. Instead he sits around moaning about his butt. I don't know how much more of that I will be able to take untill December when he has his surgery.

David is turning out to be a high-maintenance baby. He hates the car seat and loves to scream himself to sleep whenever I go out and unfortunately I have to go out twice on Mondays and Wednesdays. Any tips for getting him to like the car seat better? Christopher would fall asleep the minute he hit the car seat and would stay sleeping the minute I got home. As soon as I get home with David he is up and screaming again. Thankfully he loves my Maya Wrap sling. He also likes his bouncy chair too but only for short periods. I am glad I had him second otherwise there would only be one child in my life instead of two!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#42 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson
I got fluffy mail today! I got two xs Fuzzi Bunz and 6 Kissaluv size 0 dipes. I love getting fluffy mail!
Woohoo! I just got a new xs FB out of the dryer for Iain. Fluffy mail is so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson
Any tips for getting him to like the car seat better? Christopher would fall asleep the minute he hit the car seat and would stay sleeping the minute I got home. As soon as I get home with David he is up and screaming again. Thankfully he loves my Maya Wrap sling. He also likes his bouncy chair too but only for short periods. I am glad I had him second otherwise there would only be one child in my life instead of two!
Have you tried tucking a blanket around him snugly? Sometimes that will make them feel swaddled and not so free and vulnerable. Also, you could try rolling up two receiving blankets and tucking one on each side of him in the seat. (This is also a good and safe alternate to a headrest.) Just remember anything extra has to go on the outside of the harness, not between the harness and the baby. Iain has reacted well to the blanket tucked around him - though it took another friend to figure it out! I gotta figure she's already 2.5yrs into her second, so I can't feel too badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
is being concerned about EVERYTHING just a condition of new motherhood?
AFAIK, yes. The funny thing is, with this being our second, Jeremey is the one who's super concerned about everything! He's almost over-protective of Iain, especially around Gabriel. Thanks for sharing pics of Tristan! He's gorgeous!

Danielle, what a cutie Finn is! Love the expression in that pic. Is that red hair? I'm sure that's been asked already! Where did you get your pouch? I got a Maya Wrap Pouch when I got my sling, but it didn't quite fit right so we never used it and sold it off. I'm having some trouble with my Maya Wrap, though, so something that works better with a newborn has appeal! How adjustable is it? I think I may wash my Maya Wrap and see if that helps the fabric not get twisted all around.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#43 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 PM

And it's a WONDERFUL, FABULOUS, GLORIOUS day!

Anna was officially released from her phototherapy after more than 3 weeks on the blanket. Her bili levels are down to 9 and dropping still.

We celebrated by taking the whole family and Emily's best friend Caroline out for dinner and ice cream at Denny's. We love Tuesdays at Denny's because kids eat free, not to mention they have a healthier than usual kids menu and are one of the cleanest and safest chains in the nation.

Of course, our quest to rescue Anna from jaundice and her failure to thrive diagnosis have caused serious damage to our breastfeeding relationship that I don't know can ever be repaired.

Today she's began refusing the breast altogether. If I put my nipple in her mouth, she'll roll it around on her tongue for a moment and then start gagging as she pushes it out of her mouth.

The recommended practice for getting a babe back on the breast in this instance is to refuse them any other nutrition till they go back to the breast in hunger. Anna can't be retrained this way, though. She's a scant 6 pounds even at nearly a month old, and would contentedly starve herself by sleeping around the clock if we didn't wake her and force her to eat something.

So, at the moment, I've resigned myself to pumping for a year. We're supplimenting heavily at the moment, though, because her weak suck and lack of eating during the first couple of weeks before the hospital had a pump to rent me left me with a supply issue.

I pump every two hours and never get more than 1 ounce per pumping. The doctors said we have to make her eat at least 2 and preferably 3 ounces every 2 hours, day and night.

Oh well, back to the pump I go. Like I said, breastfeeding is shot at the moment and possibly for good...but, things are so much better here that I can't sweat the issue anymore.

~L
#44 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 11:20 PM

Ohhh...I forgot something.

Does anyone here need a sling? Or an extra small size Maya Pouch?

I have at least 4 slings here, and really only use 1. And I have several XS Maya pouches from long ago when I sued to own an AP supplies store.

I'd love to pass on a sling or two and a pouch or two if anyone doesn't have what they need. The slings are well worn but safe and comfy and definately could do the job.

I also have random odd and end diapers and covers in newborn and small that we aren't using if someone needs them and isn't picky about the fact that some of them are fairly worn.

In fact, is there a place somewhere (maybe the yahoo group) where we could list things that we have to pass along or things that we need that someone else may have? Forgive me if this is against the rules somehow or it's already been done. I'm just getting my brain back after a very long, hard 10 months.

~L
#45 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Leigh...that is wonderful!! What a great update. I have been thinking about you guys and wondering. You know, the breastfeeding thing would be very hard on me, and I know I would take it bad...but the important thing is that Anna does well. Keep offering her the breast though, you never know if she will take it. Have you tried manually expressing so your nipple is covered with breastmilk when you give it to her? Jackson was refusing the breast in the beginning, I think the bili level was making him too tired to eat. If I kept dripping it on his lips, he would eventually take it. Of course, I didn't have to contend with the whole bottle issues, he didn't know he had anohter choice.

MY thoughts are with you, I know how hard this is for you. I know I keep saying it, but Bridget was failure to thrive and had all the jaunduce garbage, was hosp for months...., then was a tubby fat baby by 6 months!!

Caroline
#46 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlemama
In fact, is there a place somewhere (maybe the yahoo group) where we could list things that we have to pass along or things that we need that someone else may have? Forgive me if this is against the rules somehow or it's already been done. I'm just getting my brain back after a very long, hard 10 months.

~L

That is a great idea...list it at the Yahoo group. I wanted to try a pouch, but never have...

I have stuff I can part with as well...

Caroline
#47 of 183 Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 PM

Leigh, what wonderful news that Anna is off the phototherapy!! I am so glad that at least some of the stress has been taken away now. I'm so sorry to hear that breastfeeding her is such a challenge, though. Pumping is no easy task and you deserve quite a commendation for making the decision to keep it up! That's quite a gift you're giving your daughter!

#48 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 12:52 AM

HeatherB-
I SWEAR to my husband that Finn will have reddish hair, or even blonde, and he thinks I'm seeing things! My husband himself is blonde (and his beard comes in red!), and true red hair runs in his family. We'll see!
I got the pouch at www.kangarookorner.com
I am loving it!
It has four rows of snaps, so it seems quite adjustable.
I had Finn in it today while I prepared dinner and did laundry, and he loves it too. My mom seemed sceptical when she saw me get him in it, but then once she saw how nice and snuggly and content he was, and how easy it was, she thought it was neat too.
Mine is black fleece. They have tons of colors and fabrics.
A bit pricey, though.
But so far, well worth the $$.

Jen-
LOVE the pictures! He is so lovely!
I think Tristan, Oscar, and Finn should get together for a "play date" someday soon once you start catching up on some sleep!
#49 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 12:54 AM

Congrats, Samantha!!
: Welcome, Aiden!!
What a nice big baby. I hope labor went well for you both.

Leigh, I've never tried a sling nor pouch and would love to! I have a nice stash of diapers but if no one else wants them...

I'm sure I could find some stuff to pass along, too. We could probably just start a thread here on the September board in the format of the swap threads on the Trading Post Swaps board... You list what you have and what you're looking for, and then you do a swap. I've not actually done one, so I don't really know all the details.

Caroline, I never got around to answering your post about when everyone resumed marital relations.... ahem... I was going to post that I'm feeling better faster this time and was willing to give it a try... Then today we actually did! I am happy to report that it didn't hurt (thought it was a bit weird and almost uncomfortable), it wasn't messy like I thought (I too keep starting back up with the bleeding), and best of all, it didn't burn when I went pee afterward! Yay! Today I am 5 weeks postpartum.

5-6 hours of sleep in a row? I'm impressed! Those must be superbabies... Mine are averaging 2-4 right now. Though when they are staggered, I end up getting more like 1-3 hours of sleep. Hey, I'm just thankful for anything, so it's all good!

Danielle, that is a terrific picture of Finn! And I agree, it is really hard to believe they are already 5 weeks old.

Jen, gorgeous little boy you have there! I love the little white blanket closeup pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Hooray that little Anna has super low bilirubin numbers and graduated from her blanket! Whoopee!!! What a relief. And can I encourage you that your breasts and body are amazing, and will be able to produce more milk soon if you keep pumping and putting her to the breast. It may take a few weeks but it's so worth it. I had to supplement greatly with Nicolas, but once we got the hang of nursing at 4-6 weeks, we were able to pretty much ease over to just breastfeeding by 3 months. And my milk supply seems to fluctuate daily! I'll be discouraged, thinking it's dangerously low, then the next day it seems I'm wasting that same amount onto the burp cloth when they make me let down for the zillionth time, or by pumping. Just now I was only able to get 3 ounces altogether (from both breasts), whereas a few days ago I pumped my record high of 8 ounces at a session. Whoa! Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to save any of that. Someone ends up drinking it before the night is done. Surely one day I will be able to freeze just a little...

Tomorrow morning the babies go in for their one month checkup. I am so anxious to hear their weights, and slightly afraid that McKenna will still be too small... And the poor thing broke out in a terrible rash last week, all over her face and neck. A search on the internet makes me think it's good old-fashioned heat rash/"prickly heat", but we'll see what the doctor thinks. She doesn't seem uncomfortable, thankfully. It just looks bad. Someone did mention maybe it had something to do with her body trying to get rid of my extra hormones?? Interesting.

Had my office party for the babies this evening... They actually bought me the Mini Shower (for rinsing diapers) I had on my registry! And lots of clothes and baby wipes, and gift cards and photo albums. Yay! No slings or diapers, though. Actually two people got the Mini Shower, believe it or not, so one said she will return it and exchange it for other stuff off the site, so I have to go there and pick out some cute diapers.

Did I mention we finally started back homeschooling? Nicolas ended up taking a nearly one-month "fraternity" leave! So far it's easy, since the curriculum is still reviewing stuff he learned before, and he works the worksheets pretty much independently. When we get to the harder stuff and the tests (next week?), I'll have to be more hands-on.

Good night all! Happy sleeping to you.
#50 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

nak nak nak... seems the more milk tincture kicked in just in time, I had to give him a couple of cc's of formula by sneaking the tip of a syringe into the corner of his mouth while he nursed... that took the edge off of his hunger enough for him to doze for 1/2 hour and some milk to build up. Hearing that other people have had to / are supplementing really reassures me that I am not a lousy mom feeding her kid poison.

Sydney is just all over us! She loves the baby and wants nothing more than to cuddle up to him and purr, but she's still bigger than he.

Leigh, congrats and I will be thinking of you as you try to reestablish nursing with Anna. We would love more dipes here. T is still wearing his hand-me-down newborn contours. I have equally little success with the breast pump.

Savannah, this tank top you sent me is super for nursing thanks again. I too love those white blanket shots, if we send out birth announcements I want to use one of those.

I thought that the 3-hour nap Jo let me take today was too long (woke up having odd dreams), but now I see it had a reason, I didn't hit the wall at 9:30 and have been able to be patient with T all night. The night is young, though, let's hope it holds.

Anyone else use Hyland's colic remedy? What a godsend for those gas pains tonight!!

Off to try to lay down and keep baby asleep. Boy is his gut rumbling.

j

#51 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 07:41 AM

More pictures of Iain!

Danielle, I'll definitely put my vote in for red! :LOL Thanks for the link and info on the pouch. It definitely looks like a good one to try! I posted over on the Babywearing board for other recommendations, too, because now I'm very interested in getting a new one (or more? :LOL).

Jen, it's amazing what a little sleep will do! Hope you guys are still doing well tonight.

Speaking of sleep, I now have two AWAKE boys instead of two ASLEEP boys... Ugh... Off to bed we go...

#52 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 AM

Leigh, can you try nursing with a SNS? the baby gets the extra milk/formula while she nurses. http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/speci...ml#startersSNS

how do pouches compare to slings? i've always wanted to try one, but opted for the maya wrap sling, since i'm used to slings.

i don't think the sleep stretches are related to food, since my younger dd slept for 6 hour stretches from a few nights after birth until she started teething, and she was breastfed, but older dd, adopted and formula/bottlefed, woke up every few hours until she was 3!
#53 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 11:15 AM

Leigh, I'm very happy to hear Anna's bilirubin is down! Phew! I could use a sling or pouch for a newborn. My OTSBH just doesn't feel right to me and the Baby Bjorn is too complicated for some things. We can PM about price, shipping.

HeatherB, I LOVE the photo of Gabriel and Iain's feet. Too cute.

Jen, Nice photos! I like the one of you two sleeping.

Danielle and Jen, a playdate sounds great. I'm ready when you are.

Re: nighttime diapering...I've been getting up to change him approx 3 times per night b/c I'm afraid of diaper rash. Is this silly? Shouls I just bundle him up and wait for morning? BTW, I'm using imse vimse bumpys w/ prefolds. They are great! I only have 6 and don't even need that many. I have 3 doz prefolds though.

Happy mothering and laboring. Who's next?
#54 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 01:29 PM

:
Well my fever reappeared, the breast pain is on both sides and my nasty rash is spreading! Bah humbug!
We went in and saw a MD last night who promptly prescribed antiboitics and a hydrocortisome cream for my terrible rash. I grumpily have begun this treatment. We have struggled for two weeks with my breast issues and i am tired of being in pain. So, I'm hoping this won't set the thrush off agin, which we seem to have almost licked.

Hoping to feel better soon!

Leigh i am so glad that little Anna Banana is getting better! don't give up on the breastfeeding, you can do it! Keep trying, hopefully now that things are on the upswing you will have more energy and patience for this next battle. That's what I keep telling myself.... Mielle is still using a nipple sheild, she gets so dang mad when i try to nurse her without it! She arches her back, screams and flails around with her arms. If I swaddle her she screams, it so frustrating!

Congratulations Samantha! I am so glad to hear that Aiden has arrived. i was watching the full moon out over the lake as we drove home last night and remembering the moon that shone over Mielle's birth. I hoped that this one was shining over more September mommies in labor!

Mielle is squaking, must go. love to all

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#55 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 01:35 PM

I need to whine a little. I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, my head hurts, which I suspect is because of the first two items. Kallisti is being fussy, she doesn't want to be in the sling and I can't put her down on the futon for a bit so I can try to find food. I wouldn't mind having a good cry myself. I was able to grab some water at least. I need to go to the grocery, but that's not an option for several reasons. One is the not wanting to be in the sling. Then there's the juggling act of trying to get groceries in the house while carrying a baby and not letting any of the cats out. I need to go down and start the cold wash cycle on the diapers, I need to clean the house, the dishwasher's full of clean dishes that have been there for 2 days. Bunny didn't get home until 7:30 or so last night, and we had to go get cat food and grabbed some fast food for us. I'd love a meal, but when he doesn't get home until that late and I'm ready for bed by 9, that doesn't give me time to cook anything, and I'm so tired by then i don't feel like cooking and I need to make use of that small window of time when he's home and I'm awake to do things like shower and stuff. I'm not having a very good day. We go to the doctor today for her two week check up. I hope she does okay in the car on the way over there since it's just the two of us and a 45 minute drive.
#56 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 03:56 PM

the home waterbirth of my new baby daughter this morning under the full moon. She weighs 9 lbs 10 oz !!! and is 21 inches long.

This was my 2nd VBAC and 1st homebirth and I am happy to say that my labor was fairly quick and easy (unlike the 1st vbac) but I still hated pushing!!!

Anyways, I will try to post pictures and more info a little later.
#57 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 04:29 PM

Congratulations Samantha and Lynsey!!!

Jen, great picutres! And Tristan is gorgeous!

Leigh, that is such a great idea! I have some things I could pass on as well. And if the pouches haven't been spoken for, I would love to try one. I was planning on buying a kangaroo korner pouch, but ran out of baby budget.
#58 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

congrats Lynsey on your BIG little girl!!

Anna sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do, I hope you're feeling better soon. Drink lots of kefir and eat lots of yogurt...

Lazuli please take care of yourself... it's a cyclical thing - if you're tired and hurting, kallisti will be crabby and make you even more tired and in pain...

off to try to follow my own advice and finish my lunch

j

#59 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 05:35 PM

I'm so glad your baby girl is here Lynsey. Congratulations!!!Wow, she's big!!!
#60 of 183 Old 09-29-2004, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2baldie
the home waterbirth of my new baby daughter this morning under the full moon. She weighs 9 lbs 10 oz !!! and is 21 inches long.
Congratulations, Lynsey! Welcome baby girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2baldie
This was my 2nd VBAC and 1st homebirth and I am happy to say that my labor was fairly quick and easy (unlike the 1st vbac) but I still hated pushing!!!
I'm so glad it went well! I just had my first VBAC/HBAC and it's very encouraging to hear that your second went better than your first. Maybe there's hope for us to have a 3rd baby afterall.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page