Last week of Sept! chat thread 9/26 - 10/2 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 183 Old 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
lilah is wonderful and her birth was amazing.
what is your lilah's middle name(s)? was she born at night like mine? my older daughter (i love saying that!) has a friend whose name is indigo lila, i.e. indigo night. indigo wasn't just born at home, she was born outdoors! how cool!

of course, not all names are chosen for their literal meaning. my oldest was named to honor my mother's parents (who were rose and joe) and my middle kid was named to express a wish for her to be a strong, fabulous, heroine sort of woman, plus to honor her father's status as a convert, plus we just love those names .

naming is such fun, and such a big responsibility. i always seem to be crazy about my kids names and simultaneously feel very unsure of them at the same time.

my mom and i had such silly conversations about naming. and that happened even though i kept each child's name a secret until after the birth! with this pregnancy my mom at one point, completely out of the blue, pops up with "if it is a girl you could name her shari". yeah mom, i think i'll name one kid after the angel of secrets and the most righteous king in the bible, the second one after two great biblical heroines, and then the third one "shari". umm, where is your brain? what i actually said was (while laughing) "mom that is the most 1950's long island jewish name i can think of!" so mom says "oh, well, yeah, the shari i know WAS born on long island in the 50's, and she's jewish...."

i hope i don't make my kids nuts when they are adults.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 183 Old 10-04-2004, 09:06 PM

nak

jen I hear david crying all the time when he is sleeping. dh says I am going nuts.

I took david to the pediatrician today because the poor guy caught the cold that the rest of us shared last week. they weighed him and he is 9lbs 11oz. Since his weight loss, he has almost gained two pounds in 3 weeks. he is a chow hound. I was worried about RSV but david is fine.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#123 of 183 Old 10-04-2004, 10:52 PM

Hey Y'all!

We're having a nice cozy evening tonight. The weather has turned colder lately and I just got done watching the end of Gone With The Wind while nursing Mielle by the fireplace. We are gonna go crawl in the tub in a bit here and hopefully transition smoothly to bed time!

I went back to the doctors today, it was time for a check up on Mielle. she's gained over 2 pounds and is a happy healthy little baby. I on the other hand, am covered in a nasty rash and continue to struggle with blocked ducts! I can't wait to be off these dang antibiotics! I've been throwing away the milk I've pumped lately. Seems like such a waste but why save milk that may have antiobiotics in it?

Surprisingly, I find my resiliency to stress is amazing. I am so calm and content in spite of miserable conditions. I surprise myself. It seems like in the last 2 weeks I've really been coming into my own style of mothering. It sure feels good. My daughter is so very well loved, I'm very proud of myself.

Oh man, i started scratching! gotta go.

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#124 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana girl
I've been throwing away the milk I've pumped lately. Seems like such a waste but why save milk that may have antiobiotics in it?
very few medications are contraindicated for breastfeeding. you need someone to look your particular drug up in hale's book - i think it is called Medications and Mothers' Milk. Thomas Hale, PhD is the acknowledged authority on what is safe for breastfeeding mothers to take, and how long to pump and dump if it actually is necessary. he also has a website: http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/. that might answer questions about your particular antibiotic if you don't have the book.

hope this helps!
#125 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 12:27 AM

Actually, Anna, I could look it up in the Breastfeeding Answer Book, which is the La Leche reference and it has an extensive drug section.
#126 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 AM

Anna-
I have a copy of Medications and Mother's Milk. What antibiotic is it that you are taking? Let me look it up, that way you don't have to dump the milk.
#127 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yes indeed the weather has turned cool. I envy the fireplace, Anna.

I have been getting the hang this evening of using the SNS. I thought that Tristan had a strong suck... I thought wrong. Wow he's got a major suck! His cheeks suck in! And he's suddenly FULL. What a different baby. Not crying all the time.

yawn,

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#128 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 11:49 AM

where is Caroline? I'm getting worried about Jackson!
#129 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 02:58 PM

10 lbs, 2oz, 22 inches long, born vaginally on 10-2!

Eowyn Rose, my perfect little girl.

I have an intense birth story. There was a hospital transfer, which I am 100% okay with. Details to follow..

I am so happy not to be pregnant! I could sing from the rooftops!

I'll post more when I have time, and when the forms stop loading so slowly..

All the best,
#130 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 03:14 PM

hey everyone, my house guests have all finally gone and i am sort of caught up, at least from the last few days. congrats on all the new babies!!!!! is anyone still pregnant?

We're doing great, working out some food issues to keep gas at bay. I'm currently avoiding wheat and acidic foods and it seems to be taking care of things.

DH and I had our first "date" on Sunday, we left Nessa with our two friends in the house while we went out for an hour long soak in our hot tub. It was really nice to have that alone time together.

I have to make it a goal this week to pump and try out a bottle with Nessa. I want her to be able to take one from dh so I can leave her with him and not feel like she'll suddenly get hungry and nothing but mama will fix things. I wanted to do this last week or the week before, but I just couldn't deal with having house guests...

Ok, gonna try for a nap before the little one wakes up for more yummies.

Thinking of you all....

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#131 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 03:17 PM

Naomi is 5w 1d I can hardly believe it!

Congratulations and Welcome to all the new babies!!

Wow HeatherH! Sounds like a beautiful big baby!! Congratulations!

Sorry to hear about all the nursing troubles! Hang in there mamas!! You are all doing Great!!

I have finally caught up! I haven't been on here for a while. We went to Las Vegas for dh to perform the hoop dance at the city of LV Native American festival. It was a lot of fun. They fed us and paid for our hotel. The kids had a blast, Shark reef at Mandalay Bay and the Secret Gardens/Dolphin Habitat at the Mirage. Then this last weekend was the St. George Marathon. Dh's brother ran it with a pretty good time. It was fun to have tons of dh's family staying with us all weekend. Dh is thinking about running next year. It was so inspiring to watch all the runners come in. Naomi had a checkup at the pedi yesterday she is 9lb 15oz. I can hardly believe she has gained almost 4lbs since birth!! We will be having her naming/blessing this weekend so I am looking forward to another crazy weekend with tons of family. Dh has procrastinated beading her moccasins and cord pouch. He has done this with every baby and is always up late the night before finishing up. I need to check the kids homeschool worksheets and hang up the 26 foot fall paper chain they made yesterday.

Have a wonderful day!!
Sarahb
#132 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 04:56 PM

How will I ever catch up??!! My power is FINALLY back on - 9 days without this time. I have missed you all! We are doing really well. (Okay, except that I screech at Jack like a lunatic at least once a day and usally have pee or poop on me somewhere...) Lucy is getting so big and chunky. I can't wait to go through and find out whose babies are here, and catch up on how everyone else is doing. I'll start wading through later tonight. There better be lots of pics, too!
#133 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 05:31 PM

Pics here:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...&x=1&sm=1&sl=1

Not sure how I'll ever adjust to life with 2 but am sure it will happen.

Heather, so glad your girl is here!!

Vicki, yes our Lilah was born at night too. Besides that we just loved the name. I thought somebody else here had a Lilah.

Okay have to run and do a million and one other things.
Love to everybody,
Chrissy

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#134 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantmommy
where is Caroline? I'm getting worried about Jackson!

Thank you for thinking of us..we are here. Jackson is still fussy, but not as bad as he was. I can not figure out what is going on wuth this baby.You would think I would know...yesterday a neighbor called to see if we were okay because she heard him screaming. It doesn't seem to be gas, but he ia ALWAYS wanting to nurse. I have checked and I am still producing after he pulls off, so I just don't know. It seems everytime I say I am going to try formula the next time he wakes up, he sleeps for a couple of hours. Then we start all over again. Maybe I am not filling him, I don't know. But I can always get more milk out, very easily too.

I am getting frustrated, he is such a time consuming baby. I have given up on cloth diapering..it is too much to do since I can only get anything done in the short itme he stays asleep. I have this damn can of formula sitting here that we got in the mail, and I am so tempted to use it....

I have read quickly through everyones posts, but I really need to go get some laundry done..my husband said he really would rather not sleep in baby vomit smeling sheets tonight....

Caroline
#135 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 06:48 PM

Finn, William and McKenna, and I forget who else???

Can you believe it?!

And this morning at the 6am feeding my heart melted...I got his first real smile! I LIVE for that!

Congrats to all the new mamas and babes! Is there anyone left?
#136 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Thank you for thinking of us..we are here. Jackson is still fussy, but not as bad as he was. I can not figure out what is going on wuth this baby.You would think I would know...yesterday a neighbor called to see if we were okay because she heard him screaming. It doesn't seem to be gas, but he ia ALWAYS wanting to nurse. I have checked and I am still producing after he pulls off, so I just don't know. It seems everytime I say I am going to try formula the next time he wakes up, he sleeps for a couple of hours. Then we start all over again. Maybe I am not filling him, I don't know. But I can always get more milk out, very easily too.

I am getting frustrated, he is such a time consuming baby. I have given up on cloth diapering..it is too much to do since I can only get anything done in the short itme he stays asleep. I have this damn can of formula sitting here that we got in the mail, and I am so tempted to use it....

I have read quickly through everyones posts, but I really need to go get some laundry done..my husband said he really would rather not sleep in baby vomit smeling sheets tonight....

Caroline
does he still have that low-grade fever? how's his diaper ouput? could it be comfort nursing because he's not feeling well?

Reid has spent what seems to be the majority of his life at the boob, too, or being burped. Until today he only cat-napped, maybe 5 mins. at a time. He sleeps pretty well at night, though, waking to nurse and going back to sleep. All bets are off tonight, since he's slept most of the day today, other than nursing! I'd worry if he wasn't seeming content.

What does your mommy radar tell you?
#137 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 09:20 PM

Ooh, Danielle, I'm jealous about the heart-melting smile! I just love the sleepy ones I've gotten so far.

I finally caught up with all these posts. No way I can respond to all, but...

CONGRATULATIONS to the new mommies, and...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all the sweet new babies! Very cute pictures. Crissy, I especially like the one of her and Daddy at the end.

Stacey, hugs to you! You did your very best and I agree with Linda. That baby was absolutely fine on their monitors and nobody should try to make you feel badly for attempting UC. Whatever problem happened, happened on THEIR watch, not yours... Daggum hospital people... And are you a true fashion model or something? You are incredibly beautiful in those preggo pictures, and I can't believe how great you look (and the baby, might I add!?) in your Day One picture.

Jen, what is SLS? or was it SNS?

Anna, hugs. Screaming and crying is very cathartic for moms, I've found... I'm sorry you're still having such awful breast issues. I'm so proud of you for continuing through the pain.

My babies have slept a few times now for over 4 hours at night... Last night McKenna slept for 6! But after sleeping 5 hours last night, William stayed fussily awake for ... drum roll... four hours straight! Luckily, dh stayed with him the first half and I took the last half, or else one of us would have been tempted to throw him out with this morning's trash! (I thought that was a hysterical thing to say, but dh is not amused...)

Heather, I have lots of dipes... I thought you had a large stash if you only had to do diaper laundry every 2 days! But are you needing newborns or smalls? We still fit our smalls, but the newborns are getting tight. Ooooh, and today a friend gave me a giant bag filled with medium and large prefolds and covers! Woo hoo! And nursing tops. Oh, and she wants to loan me a sling.

I feel badly that my twins end up crying more than my singleton did. I just can't always get them what they need right when they need it. And I am not a fan of pacifiers...

Well, I got a restaurant gift certificate today from a friend, so we're off to go eat out... again.

Love,
#138 of 183 Old 10-05-2004, 09:54 PM

baby in arms, no time to yimmer, yammer. Just want to say hi to everyone. sistermama it's good to hear from you. we missed you. caroline hang in there. welcome Eowyn Rose!

thanks for the advice regarding breastmilk and antibiotics... ive got the answer book here at home, i can look it up. It seems so wasteful to throw it away when others are struggling with supply!!!

Jerome is gone for the evening. it's weird to not have him here. we have certain patterns to our evenings and they are all thrown off. Mielle is in my lap instead of snuggling with papa. I didn't get my tub tonight, and the house is too quiet.

Love to all, especially any mamas still waiting for their little ones!
btw when do we move to "life with babe" forum????

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#139 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Tristan is totally zonked in Mummy Joey's arms. I still hope he is going to sleep tonight, we got 8 hours of sleep last night with one interruption to change a diaper and nurse. It was GREAT. I am going to sleep as soon as I'm done typing here because I'm really sleepy. Today during his nap instead of taking one myself I went on a walk with our back-up doula (who attended T's birth, our regular doula had to go to her rehearsal dinner for her wedding!) who is quickly becoming a good friend. She has the same supply issues with her milk, it just never came in and it's been a mental and emotional struggle for her too to not be able to feed her babe when she so wants to. But her boy is such a cutie, healthy and robust, it gives me hope for Tristan who is so scrawny right now.

Savannah, an SNS is a Supplemental Nursing System made by Medela. Imagine if you will a plastic bottle that hangs between your breasts with two very fine tubes that come out of it which you tape to your breasts. You fill the plastic bottle with whatever you're supplementing with, and then when baby latches on they latch on with the end of the tube in their mouth and suck whatever is in the bottle when they are nursing. That way they get their supplement and continue to stimulate milk supply in the nursing mother. It sounds great but it is a real pain to be taping tubes to yourself when your baby is crying with hunger.

OK, I'm off to brush my teeth and go to bed. night

jen

#140 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
...screaming. It doesn't seem to be gas, but he ia ALWAYS wanting to nurse. I have checked and I am still producing after he pulls off... Maybe I am not filling him, I don't know. But I can always get more milk out, very easily too. ... my husband said he really would rather not sleep in baby vomit smeling sheets tonight....
so he spits up a lot, screams all the time, and you clearly don't have supply problems. my first guess would be that he's bothered by something you are eating. the most likely culprit is cow milk proteins. (which are the basis of regular formula, btw.) you could try a food diary or you could just start eliminating milk from your diet. there are websites that can help you do that, as cow milk has a lot of different names in ingredient lists.
i had to cut most milk out of my diet with my eldest but i didn't end up having to cut it out 100% - i stopped drinking it, eating cheese and ice cream, etc. but some babies need their mothers to cut something - or some things - completely out. if cow milk isn't bothering your baby, it could be corn, wheat, soy, broccoli... there are tons of possibilities. if i wre in your boat, this is what i would try next.
#141 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 02:42 PM

Caroline, have you posted in the breastfeeding forum here? You might get some more ideas there...

Rowan (yes, we finally picked a name!) nurses almost constantly, it seems, when she's not sleeping, and spitting up a lot. I think sometimes I don't produce as much as other times (I don't feel letdown anyway,) so maybe she is trying to make up for that, and sometimes eats too much. I do know that she is getting enough overall, as her skinny arms and legs are clearly filling out, and she is already fitting well into the sleepers that she was swimming in two weeks ago. Oop, crying baby, gotta go!
#142 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 03:09 PM

It's so hard to stay caught up right now...but I'm trying! Things have been going pretty well, though Monday was awful. We had to pill all the cats thanks to the kitten having worms (EW!!!!!!), and that was a total disaster. Kitten has to go back to the vet next week so they can pill her since she fought us like a mad thing. Then we discovered the reason the cats were so intent on trying to get behind the tv because there was a mouse back there. (Am still mystified how a house with 6 cats ends up with a mouse in it.) Kallisti was being fussy, my clothes were soaked with milk because i wouldn't stop leaking, my food was cold, and I ended up sitting on the futon crying and feeling like a total failure.

Things are better now. *sigh* I don't have enough skirts though, since I can really only wear them once before they have to be washed thanks to leaking milk which is highly annoying. I tried to order a nursing bra from Motherwear but they were sold out of my size. I have boobs of doom these days, it's scary! My parents are coming up this weekend and I'm a little stressed about how I'm going to get the house cleaned up.

Kallisti is doing wonderful though and she's so sweet! My mother has complained that we don't take enough pictures and our lack of picture taking makes us bad parents. We're just not big picture taking people. I think she's about to wake up, so i should probably run. I do have a new picture though. One of these days we'll get her webpage done. We actually went out over the weekend, woo hoo! She slept the whole time. We went out for pizza and to BRU to get her a jacket (which she hates, screams whenever she has to wear it, have yet to figure out why.)

Awake Kallisti

You know, I'm not sure how coherent this is.....sorry for that. I hope everyone has a great day!
#143 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 05:33 PM

It is so nice to be caught up! I have really missed you all. Congrats to Lynsey, Samantha, Chrissy, Meredith and anyone else I missed. I have enjoyed looking at all the pics!

Jen - get used to hearing all those random baby cries. My friend and I call them the "spirit babies."

Linda - Rowan is one of my favorite names - beautiful!

Lynsey - are you tandem nursing? I am but, I am NOT enjoying it. However, I won't kick Jack off anytime soon. I don't see how I could do that without really damaging his little psyche!

Our power finally came back on Monday morning - after I threatened to picket their building with my three week old. Things are getting back to normal AGAIN. No more storms please. Another tree down, so now we are truly treeless.

Lucy is the easiest baby - thank goodness, I earned it with Jack!
#144 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Tristan coos a hello, is it possible to notice a change after only 3 days of supplementing? He looks more robust somehow. Maybe it's the awake baby time. We're having it right now! Yay for boppies and thanks again Savannah for it!

need to find some food for me. plus I think a diaper is wet again.

j

#145 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 PM

#146 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 06:00 PM

Sarah,

Yes I am tandem nursing and enjoying it so far! Of course, Naiya is just 1 week old today. She had a horrible time latching properly at first and I got very engorged, making it impossible for her, but Paityn saved us. Thank goodness Paityn is so dedicated.

Chrissy,

I love the pics you shared. Was Noah there when you had Lilah? My kids were both there and I am SO GLAD they were. It is such a great feeling knowing that they saw their sister being born. Although I think the delivery of the placenta had more of an effect on Riley. haha.

Anyways, here are a few more pics of my kids if anyone is interested.
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMWbli4bM2zCWA
#147 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 06:03 PM

Sarah,

Those pictures are so great! Lucy has gorgeous blue eyes! Both of your kids are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
#148 of 183 Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 PM

Lynsey - you are so right about toddlers making the engorgement phase easier! I love your pics, too. Naiya looks so much like her brother and sister!

Lazuli - Kallisti is gorgeous!

I'm surprised about how different some aspects of nursing are with Lucy compared to Jack. I kind of thought that your babies adjusted to your milky ways not the other way around. But this time I'm barely leaking (don't really even have to wear pads!), Lucy has much less of an intense suck and she just has to nibble and I let down and even my let down sensation feels so much different. With Jack it was just tingly, with Lucy I feel like I'm being stung by bees, it really HURTS! (But don't worry, its not the yeasty hurt, I'm all too familiar with that one!)

Anyone else having clothes issues? I can't remember what I wore last time... All the maternity stuff is too big, but I can only fit into one pair of my jeans. Wouldn't really matter except I go to NY in two weeks and back to work November 1. I keep saying I'm going to start walking tomorrow...
#149 of 183 Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 AM

Sarah,

I remember you saying a long time ago that you dried Jacks umbilical cord? I was wondering what you ended up doing with it? I thought that was a neat idea so I dried Naiyas in the shape of a heart, but its still just sitting on top of my fridge. It seems very delicate and I dont want to mess with it in case it breaks.
#150 of 183 Old 10-07-2004, 01:27 AM

Oh, all these cute babies! I love it!

Sarah, I didn't like tandem nursing either, but I don't regret doing it. My son was *not* ready to wean, and I really felt like being able to nurse helped him bond with the baby. I did, however, vow never to get pregnant while still nursing again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page