October Mamas--week of March 22nd - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 03-28-2004, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amy-
I am paranoid, too about twins...I started feeling movement around 10 weeks, and am very big. I was also excessively sick in the first trimester. And I have twins in my mom's family....deep down, I'm not really worried about it, but it has popped into my mind more than once recently. (And into my dreams!)

From what I understand, though - it's rare to diagnose twins just by hearing two heartbeats. Two swiftly beating hearts are often in synch, or disguise each other.

More likely is diagnosing them well into the second trimester based on other factors. So just cause you only hear one heartbeat tomorrow, doesn't mean you are not having twins!

I'm also having my first prenatal tomorrow!!! My m/w says it will be at least a two hour visit! I still haven't decided whether or not to use the doppler....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 70 Old 03-28-2004, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

What might you do, Katie, wait to use the fetoscope? I'm undecided about it to. The last appt, I had I was told (10w3d),I was told the baby was behind the pubic bone and that we *might not be able to hear it and she didn't want me to get upset if I didn't. I was still undecided, and more confused after starting a thread on it v. u/s that I didn't push the issue and didn't. I can't remember how much longer a wait it is for the fetoscope.

I want some french fries w/ ranch dressing. (I heard it on tv and it sounds like a good idea. )

#63 of 70 Old 03-28-2004, 07:57 PM

I am way more obsessive about this pregnancy than I was with dd. With DD I didn't hang out on mothering or pregnancy boards, I just kinda did my thing. I didn't read all the sad stories about people losing babies and such, so I didn't really think a mc or birth defect or anything bad could happen. Now I have read of and heard all that stuff, and I am worried!

Now I am very obsessive, mostly fearful about losing this babe as well. I obsess over every little pregnancy sympton. My nipples have been less sore lately, which worries me. I haven't had any morning sickness or nausea in close to a week. I am trying to relax, but I just feel as though I can't. The only symptom which seems constant is tiredness and lots of discharge

I have the first mw appt late this week or early next week. I hope and pray I can hear a heartbeat. That will make me feel so much better.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#64 of 70 Old 03-28-2004, 09:30 PM

Katie-- Oh great, you mean I still have to obsess about it??? WIth DS, I had an u/s at 8 wks due to spotting so we knew early on. Oh boy. Good luck at your appt tomorrow, can't wait to hear how it goes!

Speaking of midwife appts, do they usually do an internal?? My last one was going to do a pap, but we put it off til 2nd trimester since I was spotting. I suppose an internal would tell uterus size, but is it really necessary otherwise?

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#65 of 70 Old 03-28-2004, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Weeeeeeeeeell....I am in a practice of mostly mws and I think maybe one OB. The NP seems to insist on an iternal. And, I think they want to know about the size of your pelvis? : And see if your cervix is blue and to check for HPV. Even though all my PAPs have been normal. : I was going to get one before I got pg. I bled last year and m/c days later. Maybe not related; but, we girls who have m/ced......

She said I could AMA and I'd have to "take the responsiblity." : She also used the rationale that if it was *so easy to lose a baby that way, women who didn't want their babies would be doing it. The same answer to sex.

Soooooooo...I've got a call into another practice some mamas here in my area recommended.

My friend in a mainstream OB prac didn't get one til 39 wks! And she was sayin she was sore and spottin, so I'm not sure if I want one at *all!

I was disappointed in my last appt, so I haven't talked about it. I'm due for one next week for an exam. She said at the end I could refuse whatever I wanted. I am going to check out this other practice. *I'm also planning to move during pg, so I will be transfering again anyway.
#66 of 70 Old 03-28-2004, 10:10 PM

Letia-
Yeah, I may wait to use the fetoscope. Using U/s (and doppler is included in that) has been linked to an increased miscarriage risk. Since I have had two prior m/cs, I am not sure I feel comfortable with it. If I do use it, it will only be for about a minute, and then not again for the rest of the pregnancy.

I think you can hear the heart beat with a fetocope at around 18 weeks.

Amy-

I think practices vary about internal exams. My last practice, which was CNMs, did an internal at EVERY visit. It really sucked, and I never understood why. My new midwife, a DEM, doesn't do them at all - not even in labor unless the woman wants one. She doesn't want to expose people to bacteria unless necessary.
#67 of 70 Old 03-29-2004, 10:17 AM

OMG Katie, every visit? That is insane, I can't even imagine why they would do that!! I know it's common at your first visit and at the end. I opted for one at 40 weeks last time bc I wanted to have some idea what my starting point would be when labor began, other than that my CNM would not have done one til 41 weeks. Letia, it doesn't surprise me much about the mw's in an OB practice, they are usually more on the traditional medical model of care. I'm going for the doppler, I'm not too concerned about it....I used one plenty last time.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#68 of 70 Old 03-29-2004, 12:02 PM

Hey Lucysmama, I notice slight crampyness after some of my workouts too. I don't think you have too much to worry about. Hiking is and should be fine for 1-2 miles. That's not at all too much. Your in Cleveland right? I can't imagine you have to deal with too strenuos of inclines either so your probably ok to keep doing what your doing. It may be an issue of increasing your streches post hike. THat's what I've found for myself anyway.

ANN~I have broad hips and a mush more narrow waste and am somewhat high wasted and have had no problems with any of the Old Navy clothes. If you order online they have a nice size chart so you could bust out the tape measurer!

I am obsessing even more with #2 'cause I'm so much more aware of what's really in there!

maureen
#69 of 70 Old 03-29-2004, 12:13 PM

JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW, THIS WEEK'S OCTOBER MAMAS THREAD IS IN THE DUE DATE CLUBS SUBFORUM

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#70 of 70 Old 09-24-2004, 02:19 PM

I thought it was so endearing to go through and read this

we've come a long way mama's!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page