Week of July 12! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot to mention (brag) to you all....when I took DD to the water park on Friday, she went in the pool with me for the FIRST TIME!!! Up until now, she likes me to stand in the pool (shallow end, only 3 feet deep) and she sits on the side and splashes a bit. But every time I ask her to come in, she says no. But that day, she jus suddenly lifted her arms to be picked up, and we went around and around the shallow end and she had a ball! It was so much fun!

Diapers: oh my! well, I'm with Katie - I suck at prefolds and only have a dozen preemies as a backup. Otherwise I've gone all fitteds and covers. I currently have about 30 diapers, 10 covers (but 4 of them are likely not going to fit for a while), a wool soaker, a wool-in-one, 2 PUL AIO's...um....I think that's right. My fave diapers right now are the Loveybums. So soft and pretty! I occasionally take out my stash and play with them, lol. My mother helped out alot with the cost as a baby gift. But I know I can sell them when I'm done and get alot of money back. I have a small stash of smalls, but then we started CDing Emily when she was in mediums, and we have a huge stash of Motherease One-Size (which are our staple around here with DD), so I really don't need many more diapers. Just a few more smalls should do it. The newborn and small stashes together, I've spent about $600. Probably will be closer to seven or eight hundred by the time I'm done. But still cheaper than sposies (especially considering all of DD's diapers that we'll be using) and WAY more fun!!!

3boyz: I love the name Micah (it was on our short list). Not crazy about Tait. For girls, I like both Trinity and Grace but...are you Christian? Because if you are not, together they make a very Christian name, lol. I'm not crazy about Makenna, never got into that "mac" trend. But then my DD's name is number 1 on the commonality list, so take that with grain of salt, lol!

momadance: have a great trip!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#92 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 01:30 PM

Stanleymama I am sure he won't be THAT big, I can see why that'd shake you up though. Sounds like you had fun with your boys at the park. You are right about it coming down to personal convictions...we don't vax either and I am sure that there are people on this thread that do, I am just so glad that we are so accepting of eachother, if only we had that IRL

Momadance- Hope you have a safe and happy trip! I don't envy your 15hr drive but I am sure that it is all worth it!

Piglet...WTG Emily Sounds like you had a blast!

I don't think I will be using wool covers, I am allergic to wool as are my mom and sister...because of that I don't think it would be a good choice for my baby. I guess I thought that wool allergies where more common, never seems to come up though when talking about diapes.

Ok, since I have decided what my next diaper purchase will be I've moved on to slings :LOL I didn't use one with Ember, I just carried her in my arms all the time and used a snuggli type carrier for going out and occasionally to vacuum, etc. but it killed my shoulders. But this time I guess I won't have the luxury of not using my arms for other things :LOL. I think I might end of getting a New Native as I have always liked how they look and have read mostly good things....but I found a neat one that I like but might not be as practical...if you have time check out this link and tell me what you think...I like the idea of not having a bulky sling, and having something lightweight...plus money is an issue and this is one of the cheapest I've seen.http://www.milkfacenursingwear.com/d...ODUCT_ID=01060
Actually here's another I've found that is in my price range maybe someone can give me an expert opinion. This one would cost me approximately 1/2 of the new native carrier, do you think it would be just as good? http://www.starslings.com Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to check these out for me. Just checked out the link I gave...it's the Little Star sling...I thought it'd be a direct link.
#93 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 01:33 PM

10 more weeks to go! (I need an exctited yet nervous smiley)

Had a fabulous day yesterday. We went to the Flok Festival and spent the day playing, listening to music, dancing, eating fresh corn on the cob... it was wonderful. Alias had such a fantastic time that even though he didn't have a nap all day he was perfectly happy and cheerful the whole 11 hours we were there. And it is so great to be around other "crunchy" moms. It is a true plaesure to be able to watch your child play (they have a great children's section set up with sand boxes, and bubble tubs and wading pools) and never hear an unkind word spoken to a child by their parents. And all the children played so beautifully together. There was no pushing or shoving. Not once did my son have a toy he was playing with get taken out of his hands by a bigger child and only once did I hear a child complaining about having to take turns. Being part of a group of AP parenting in action is a spectacular experience.

And now today we will rest from our big day in the sun and probably just hang around the house. And I should get laundry done.

3boyz4us - I really like Micah Lane. To me, it has more presence than Tait, and I like that you're giving all your boys the same middle name. I think it's a really sweet family tradition. For the girl's, I hate to add to the trouble, but I also prefer Trinity. Makenna is really pretty, but like the other's have said, it's super popular.

momadance - Have a great trip and a fabulous time at the lake. It sounds like a wonderful vacation.
#94 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 01:41 PM

Oops forgot to add a for Piglet's Emily.

And Amie, we posted at about the same time. I haven't had a chance to look at your sling choices but one thing to keep in mind, and what I learned form my sling use with Alias, is that a comfortable and supportive shoulder strap is essential. It become very uncomfortable, even painful, if you have one that dosen't support distribute the weight well.
#95 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 01:42 PM

Mirhtfulmum :, OMG only 10 weeks to go! I am so jealous of you about the Flok Festive...sounds like it was absolutely dreamy! Those links I posted just now are both Canadian sites I just stumbled across the last few nights that I'd never crossed before, so they might interst you...I think my nesting urge is kicking in as a shopping urge

:LOL we did it again Mirth!
#96 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakEmber

Ok....I've moved on to slings :LOL .
I've been lurking all week, but haven't had much time to post. So Hello Everyone!
OakEmber, some great sites for gaining info and knowledge on slings and babywearing in general are:
http://www.kangarookorner.com/index.shtml
http://www.peppermint.com/
http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sling.html#types

There is also a Yahoo group all about babywearing, and one specifically for swapping/trading/buying slings. I can send you the links, if you like.
I personally love my Maya Wrap, and find that I use that more than all my other 7 (ugh!) slings/wraps combined. But having a padded rail is nice w/ a newborn (which the Maya doesn't have). You might poke around at your local resale shops/Goodwill stores, etc...and see if you can find a sling for cheap. In my experience, once you get into babywearing (like cloth diapering), you tend to want to try new and different stuff, and find your needs changing as your babe grows. I could talk about this all day, so if you want any more help or advice, feel free to PM me.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I've offically joined the UTI club....fun, fun, fun!
:
Been sleeping poorly, can't seem to get comfy and am plagued by very intense, disturbing dreams....and a hot, sweaty toddler rolling into me. If I don't get my afternoon nap, I am just a grouchy bear. Everyone keeps talking about being weepy emotional, I feel like I've been grouchy and irritable more this preg than weepy. Hope that *doesn't* say anything about the personality of Baby Cookie. It's been so hard trying to maintain some semblance of patience and sanity with Hannah lately. And with DH...I shouldn't even get started there, or I'll never stop.
There's been so much going on in the thread this week that I wanted to comment on, and now I can't even remember it all. Forgetful pregnant mama! But at least I wanted to say that I've been enjoying very much the great discussions on all the different "hot button" topics and how well we all respect eachother and all the viewpoints. I, too, have been loving getting to know you all....even when I'm quiet about it. Happy Big Belly Vibes to you all!
#97 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 03:38 PM

thanks for all the input...i appreciate it!! yes piglet, we are Christian, so Trinity Grace would suit us that way,*if* dh liked Trinity, as far as "mac/k" names being popular...they really aren't around our small, podunk area...it may take some convincing with dh to change to something else, but *i* would like to try something different than Makenna.

on slings....i'm hoping to make a pouch for us to use.

krnflr...i've not been sleeping all that great either, it seems...my problem, tho, is the carpal tunnel i have in both hands...i can't seem to find a way to lay them so they don't go numb...quite frustrating.

mirthful....10 WEEKS!! that's not fair...how is it i am only 26 and you are 30 wks...what is your edd? mine is 10-24, but will deliver a week early. i'm so jealous of you for having "crunchy" moms to hang out with....the only ones i have that are somewhat crunchy are my sil and my sister who doesn't even have kids yet, but is very supportive of my increasing crunchy ways and is some ways she is proly *more* crunchy than me. i;m not *super* crunchy, but way more so then what the norm is here, ya know?

mamadance...have a good trip...hope the looong drive goes ok.

Lucysmama....:LOL at the rhyming (sp) family names...i agree, that would've sounded a little weird.
#98 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 04:41 PM

3boyz4us--I feel like I have so much in common with you. I am Christian too and have 3 boys. I am due one day before you but hope to go a week early as it will be dhs' birthday. On the name I vote for Micah Lane as well---the two sound really nice together.

As for dipes I have acquired a few Kissaluvs for this babe. I used Fuzzi Bunz on Samuel--still do. But I sell them, so of course I would use them. I am all about saving money and I think that is probably the main reason we switched to cloth, besides the health issue. Except for the Kissaluvs, this baby is being diapered for free--can't beat that!
#99 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 07:58 PM

I haven't had time to catch up on posts this weekend so "Hi" to everyone! We had a family reunion this weekend and it was great fun. Lots of hugs and conversation and we had carnival games for the kids which went over great-even the adults got into the bean bag toss! LOL

OakEmber-both those slings look good to me-the mesh one is really pretty and would have lots of give-what material is made up-I couldn't tell. The other looks pretty basic which is all you need for the newborn stage-the New NAtive may have a wider shoulder though which is very important-I couldn't tell how wide this one was from the picture.
Another really good site is www.thebabywearer.com - has tons of info, reviews, forums, etc
www.hotslings.com are pretty inexpensive too-I have 3 of them I have to admit...2 cotton stretch and one fleece. I also have a Kozy on the way and a homemade unpadded ring sling so hoping something fits my babe just right!

Take care,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#100 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 08:27 PM

Looking forward to checking out all these sling sites. I've had my heart set on a new Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch, and maybe one of their new non-fleece pouches too. A friend is lending me a big one for DH to use, but I want a small one for myself too

Re: prefolds ... usually if they're "Chinese" or "Diaper Service Quality / DSQ" ... or more recenly even "Indian" ... that indicates higher quality than plain ole prefolds. They're likely to be more hard wearing, softer, and more absorbant. Definately steer clear of department store prefolds, some of them even have poly in the soakers, which are pretty useless at soaking up anything...

3boyz4us: of the choices you mention, I really like Micah Lane and Trinity Grace Hope your DH comes around...

Piglet: I have a reluctant water baby too ... he's really skittish about being in anything deeper than a "baby pool" ... in a big pool he'll sit and stand and play on the steps, or come in while I'm holding him. But he doesn't like to try to float, play in one of the water ring floatie things, etc. Glad you had a breakthrough w/ Emily Sounds like you guys had fun!
#101 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 08:56 PM

Slings!!!!
I have a Maya, which we used all the time for dd. She still likes to use it, but I can't sling her anymore, my back can't handle it! And there isn't much room for her anyway, cause she likes to sit in the sling with one foot dangling on my belly. Not comfy for me right now at all!

I am planning to get a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch, and I am asking for a silk brocade sling from www.zolowear.com for Christmas from dh....they are beautiful "showing off" slings!

Momadance- Have fun!! We are going to try to get up to our lake house, too (on Superior) before the baby comes....but the earliest we can go is September, and I don't know how I will feel about travelling when I am 34-35 weeks along. Our house is WAY isolated, so if anything happens (like early labor) it's a long ride to town. I guess we'll see how I feel and how my mw feels about it. (I do have a secret fantasy about having a UC in the woods up there, though )

Piglet - YAY for Emily!!! Glad you got her in the water! My dd just had a swimming breakthough, too....going underwater to swim. It was a MAJOR step for her, and I was so proud. I know how you feel!
#102 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Slings, OH slings!

I had a Maya Wrap sling and pouch for DD. I used the pouch the most in the early weeks, but switched the sling when she was able to sit up a bit. Still use it on occasion to this day! Love it, love it, love it.

I had my heart set on a Pea in the Pod hemp fleece pouch, but then the dear mama who makes them was dealt a horrible blow: her son diagnosed with leukemia. Makes my heart wrench every time I think about it.

My other desire was a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch (I figured since Sasha will be a fall baby, a cozier pouch was needed...yeah, I need it....really, I do!).

BUT....then I remembered that my mother is an awesome sewer and I found some patterns online so...I asked her if she would make me one or two and she was all excited about it! I'm also going to buy a length of fabric to make a wrap-style sling out of. They look a bit more secure since they are a snugger/tighter fit, and I thought it would be useful around the house for doing housework, playing with DD, etc...I can't wait to get home and pick out fabrics!

Mirthful: you know I have NEVER been to the Folk Festival and I lived in Vancouver almost all my life!! (and I had to LOL at your typo: I asked DH - also a Vancouver native - what the "FLOK" festival was, lol). Anyways, I was so homesick reading your description of it. I can't wait to be back!! And we will DEFINITELY not miss out on in next year: so many great things to do with kids in Van.

Hope ya'll are doing well. I'll start a new thread tomorrow morning. And hey, just to improve on the loving, grouphug, mood - I"ll share another lovely "personal joys of pregnancy" tidbit with you all: I have a hemerrhoid. Hooray! :

<giggle!>

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#103 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68
And hey, just to improve on the loving, grouphug, mood - I"ll share another lovely "personal joys of pregnancy" tidbit with you all: I have a hemerrhoid. Hooray! :

Awwwww....well, in the spirit of sisterhood, I will just say: I have 2. :LOL I just don't want you to feel alone, hon!
#104 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 09:43 PM

LUCYSMAMA!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH shame on you! Why did you have to post that link to those gorgeous slings! I am sooooooooooo wanting the silk brocade blue dragon ditty! Just when I thought I could be satisfied with my Maya and Nojo generic padded rail sling, I really want a hotslings fleece pouch as well. I hear you on the UC in the woods! Didn't you mention watching a movie about a woman giving birth just her and her Dh in the woods? If so, what was the flick? I can't wait to dive into the new mw lending library of homebirths. She's got a ton.

Better force my self to sleep. We're getting up at 3:30 am to head out. I'm going to miss all you mama's!
#105 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 09:55 PM

OK, skimming...:LOL Piglet, I have one too! It bled first tri! Putting witch hazel on the tp works well for me and then Boiron has a hemerrhoid ointment. Theres suppositories for an internal. Which is *my* joy! The witch hazel has been sufficient for the most part.

Rhoid sisters!

Tell ya bout my weekend and anniversary today tomorrow sometime maybe.
#106 of 108 Old 07-18-2004, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance
LUCYSMAMA!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH shame on you! Why did you have to post that link to those gorgeous slings! I am sooooooooooo wanting the silk brocade blue dragon ditty!

Sorry, momadance!!! I am in love with the red dragonfly silk myself.....I'm going to ask dh if we can get it earlier than Christmas though, cause I just love the idea of putting my baby in a comfy and beautiful red sling to go do all our Holiday-ing! Is that nutty of me???
#107 of 108 Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 AM

stanelysmom.... thank you for saying that...i have felt that way with you too...i saw a post or two of yours pn the Christian thread in spirituality and was excited about that!! aren't you having a c-section, too, or am i thinking of someone else...i know Piglet is, but i thought there was someone else too.

on the Rhoids....i have had them with one or two of my other pregnancies but i don't remember when : so far so good right now...but i know how awfull they feel...something i try to do is make sure i eat plenty of rasin bran cereal or something with a lot of fiber...really helps things "go" more smoothly in tho mornings ....maybe you gals that have thme could try that so you aren't having to strain too much...that aggrevates them more than anything. 's to you.
#108 of 108 Old 07-19-2004, 01:18 PM

Wow, I missed out on a lot yesterday afternoon...and Sundays are usually slow! There was too much going on here for me to just skip to the new thread :LOL

Ann and Karin...thanks for the great links! I found another sling that I like on one, and again for about $40 Canadian, one of the reasons I never bothered with a sling for Ember was they all around double that...I don't know if there are just more options now, as it has been 4 years or if I just didn't look hard enough! Are you getting tired of looking for me?:LOL I REALLY like this one called a Cuddly Carrier http://www.peapodcreations.ca/

:LOL, I didn't even catch the Folk/Flok...athough I did wonder what the heck flok stood for! Of course it makes sense now, even I've heard of the Van. Folk Festival.

Sorry to hear about the roid sufferes...I am : so far unfamiliar with those.

Bluehalo- thanks for the heads up re: prefolds too!

Katie! Yay for Lucy...Ember did the same thing yesterday, I was gonna mention it in my weekend news!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page