Any interest in an October Mama bead swap/Secret Santa? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 08-31-2004, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I checked this out earlier and was unsure...my first thoughts was that the bead having some significance sounded a big blessingway/pagan/woo woo to me and I didn't want a part of it as a Christian. The mama/baby gift is more up my alley.

Actually, I'm really burdened in my spirit to bless someone in particular in this group. I have even sought out something for her and God is just working it out to absolutely amazing!!!! I'm so excited about blessing her! I'm being the fly in the ointment with this, I guess b/c it wasn't the way yall were planning to match up folks right? But, can I have a particular mama, please. .
#32 of 49 Old 08-31-2004, 12:55 PM

Letia - I don't think the bead exchange has any spiritual significance (I know it dosen't for me). I by no means qualify as "a big blessingway/pagan/woo woo" kinda gal. I just thought that each bead represented each mom on the board here and represented our friendship and support during our pregnancies and births. It's fine by me if you don't want to participate, but I didn't want you to count yourself out because of a spiritual conflict. As far as I know the beads have no philosophical, religious or spiritual significance.
#33 of 49 Old 08-31-2004, 01:26 PM

I think the original idea sounded kinda blessingwaylike, if I recall what one is....I'm more of a baby shower kinda gal...and you think of it as a representation of the group. Seems like different folks view it as different things.... Right now I'm still unsure. To have a necklace representing our group might be nice...kinda like the (my brain fails me) a bow bouquet that you're made at your bridal shower? Course, at this time, that might be the only thing I'm wearin! :LOL

I *definately* would like to be a part of the gifting. I just have a mama in mind. If I'm being a pain then I can participate in the MDC fairies (so I won't give away what the items are :LOL). Doesn't the fairy do more than dipes these days?
#34 of 49 Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabmommie
To have a necklace representing our group might be nice...kinda like the (my brain fails me) a bow bouquet that you're made at your bridal shower?
Yeah exactly. That's how I think of it too (although I'm thinking bracelet ).
#35 of 49 Old 08-31-2004, 05:29 PM

Just wanted to say count me in for the gift swap! I've already sent a PM about the bead swap.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#36 of 49 Old 08-31-2004, 08:01 PM

I'd like to do the gift swap too. And bead swap. I'll have to get details out later, we're trying to prepare for a hurricane!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#37 of 49 Old 09-01-2004, 02:27 PM

I'm jumping in late here with some questions (that would probably be answered for me if I re-read the thread).

I don't think I can do both...so I think the gift exchange is what I'd participate in...my question, are we sending out our gifts before the baby arrives or after, Secret Santa was mentioned so I am assuming after.

The bead thing is cool too, might be neat to wear the braclet in labour. About how many are we looking at sending out though (I am thinking postage wise it might be easier on me to send one gift instead of 20 envelopes of .50 each KMIM?) Too bad I have to base my decision on money....

:LOL, just used the calculator to determine that 20x50 is still by far gonna be cheaper than the cost of a gift plus shipping...my poor preggo brain Nonetheless, I'd still hope I can get an idea of how many beads I'd need.
#38 of 49 Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 PM

I'll list out the names for the swap in about 2 weeks-then you can send something out whenever you want-before or after the baby comes-it'll be up to you. I kind of took the "santa" part out since I didn't want to wait until the holiday LOL
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#39 of 49 Old 09-01-2004, 04:39 PM

Ann - I didn't know if I'd made this clear or not but put me down for the gift exchange!
#40 of 49 Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 PM

I'm also interested in joining in the girft exchange. Thanks for taking on the organizing work Mirthful and Ann!

I'll also be adding to the song list as soon as I can think about a song I think is appropriate for laboring women!
#41 of 49 Old 09-05-2004, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ann - Sign me up for the gift swap, too!!! I can't wait to get a mama or a baby something. So I guess depending on who we get, we can either send things before or after the baby is born? Like, if I got flitters for example, who doesn't know the sex of her baby, I may wait until after the baby is born to get something. Is that right?

Letia - Oh, I wasn't thinking the bracelets would have any religious meaning or anything when I suggested it! I was just thinking it would be nice to have to kind of represent the group...like women-strength. I think mine may be all I wear in labor, too!!! :LOL But I totally understand if you are not comfortable with it.
#42 of 49 Old 09-05-2004, 03:19 PM

This is great you guys! Count me in for both the bead swap and the gift exchange. Letia, if I may speak for Ann, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get you the particular mama you want.

I'll PM Ann and mirthful with my info!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#43 of 49 Old 09-05-2004, 04:39 PM

I've been in church! Thanks for the clarification, Katie! I think I feel better...yet, I missed the deadline :

Pig! (I hate callin you that but I respect your issues with folks you don't know IRL)

eta: if I'm not too late...yall have to help me find some beads... talk about not crafty;but, it sounds cool.
#44 of 49 Old 09-07-2004, 09:47 AM

Ann, I did PM you, but wanted to make sure that you had me on the list to be included in the Gift Swap. Thanks.
#45 of 49 Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 AM

Count me on both the gift exchange and the bead swap.
#46 of 49 Old 09-07-2004, 06:38 PM

Is it too late to sign up for the bead swap?
#47 of 49 Old 09-10-2004, 07:57 PM

I know I'm super late - but can I still sign up for the bead swap? Sounds so cool! Thanks.
#48 of 49 Old 09-10-2004, 08:05 PM

Hey Mandi.

I'm sorry to have to do this but, yeah, it's too late for the bead swap. Many of the women already have the beads bought and in the mail.

But it's not too late for the gift swap! Just let AnnR33 you want to join in.
#49 of 49 Old 09-10-2004, 08:46 PM

Thanks anyway! I was given very little notice to write a paper for an upcoming conference, so I've been really swamped this week. Argh! I just resurfaced. I'll be thinking of all of you at the birth anyway - for some inspiration! :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page