Any interest in an October Mama bead swap/Secret Santa? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 08-15-2004, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if there is any interest in doing something nice for each other....I have a few ideas. It would be totally optional, not something that anyone has to do! Here is what I was thinking:

-The September Mamas each sent each other a bead and a blessing, which they strung into bracelets to wear during labor/delivery...like having some extra "mama strength" during labor and/or birth and those difficult first days. I feel so bonded with you guys after going thru pregnancy with ya'll, I think it would be so nice to put on my October Mamas bracelet in labor.

-We could do like a Secret Santa swap kinda-thing, where everyone has one person to send a gift to....could be a mama gift, or a baby gift. We could set it up so that we each post a little ISO like in the swaps on the Trading Post, and that way the sending mama would know what they need/want.

Anyone interested in this? Or does anyone have any other ideas? I'm willing to help organize.
#2 of 49 Old 08-15-2004, 01:02 PM

Oh I love the bead idea! I make jewelry so I have quite a collection of beads. Maybe we could do that too? Otherwise I like the baby gift idea since I also knit and sew.

Kathy

kathy::
#3 of 49 Old 08-15-2004, 02:36 PM

They both sound fun to me!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#4 of 49 Old 08-15-2004, 03:41 PM

I love love love the bead idea!

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#5 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 08:43 AM

I absolutely LOVE the idea of having something that represents all of you to help me through labor!!! That would be so nice!!!
#6 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 08:50 AM

They both sound like fun. Although, in all honesty, the thought of stringing a bunch of beads together is not my idea of a good time. I am just not crafty or artistic or good at that. But, I LOVE the idea of it. I also think the secret santa thing is really cute, although maybe we should call it something like that "Secret Great Pumpkin" Ha, Ha!

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#7 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 AM

What a great idea Katie!

I love the bead idea. It's sweet to have something to represent the little community we've got going on here.
#8 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 09:54 AM

Sounds like fun!

My only concern is if we did the bead thing, could it get kinda $$$ since we'd be needing to buy postage to send beads everyone as oppossed to having just one person as in the Secret Santa swap?
#9 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 10:22 AM

I love the idea, too. But, as was mentioned above, I'm not too crafty...so presents sound easier for this exhausted mama than beads. Easier to organize and for shipping and all.
Great idea, Katie! I think this would be so much fun.
#10 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 10:43 AM

I love the idea of the bead swap. When I was pg with my first, my friends threw me a baby shower and each of them went around the room and gave baby and I a blessing, and then presented me with a bead they had chosen. They were all strung together to make a bracelet at the end and it is one of the gifts that I cherish the most. The beads are a reminder of the sentiments and thoughtful words they gave me. I'm wearing it today...it brings me strength.
#11 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 11:09 AM

I, too, love the bead idea. I think they could just be sent in a regular envelope. So perhaps the cost of sending out a dozen beads/cards would be the same as a single larger package?

Those who aren't crafty enough to string them could put them in a bud vase or something.

Just suggestions, anyways!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#12 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 AM

I love either idea, count me in!
#13 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 01:35 PM

I love both ideas too.... Any reason why we couldn't do both? That way people who are interested in one or the other could pick and choose, or choose to do both?
#14 of 49 Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 PM

I love the bead idea too. I think the idea of having something to remember our 'extended family' would be great!
#15 of 49 Old 08-17-2004, 05:59 PM

i like the bead idea too, but i'm a bit unreliable with mail so i'm not sure if i'd participate.

i was thinking of something not material that we could still share... maybe this should be in another thread (or possibly a future qotw)... i'd like if each october mom could choose a song they like and then we could compile a list and each of us on our own could put together a mix of the songs... i think i'd really enjoy something like that during the birth (or at least early labor). that way those of us who are postally challenged could have a special way to think of the other october mamas. should i start a songlist thread? or maybe does piglet want to just add a song next to our names in the weekly thread? does anyone like this idea?

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#16 of 49 Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 PM

Flitters, I love, love, love that idea. I've been making a list of songs for dh to burn onto one mix CD for me, to have playing during labor. I'm happy to share my ideas, and to have more ideas from the October mamas would be super special!
#17 of 49 Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 PM

oooooooooh - Me too - love the song compilation idea. This is something that has been on my to-do list for a while and would love a head start.
#18 of 49 Old 08-18-2004, 02:14 PM

All of these ideas are great! A separate song list thread would be wonderful. I've been meaning to start making a labor CD but don't know what to put on it. I'm curious to hear what other people think is good labor music...
#19 of 49 Old 08-18-2004, 02:16 PM

And hey, if we want to do the bead thing, we could use our Yahoo Group to post our addresses so we don't have to share them with the whole Internet! I think there's a place on the group board to post a table with names and addresses and stuff. That way whoever wants to join in can post their address so we'll know who to send beads to!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#20 of 49 Old 08-18-2004, 09:49 PM

The CD idea is a good one, but I'm one of those who doesn't want to have music playing during the labour/birth. I found the silence of the room much more relaxing last time.
#21 of 49 Old 08-19-2004, 08:30 PM

count me in on the beads and song list! Lemme know what to do!
#22 of 49 Old 08-22-2004, 02:48 AM

Beads are good to me-I would love that! I also like the secret swap idea for baby or mom or both. Just let me know the details when you're ready! I was going to suggest the gift idea too.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#23 of 49 Old 08-30-2004, 06:41 PM

So are we doing this? I would love to do something to commemorate our little community here.
Not entirely sure how to orgnaize us all and do the swap though. Does anyone have any ideas?
#24 of 49 Old 08-30-2004, 07:37 PM

To make it easy we could just list all the people that signed up then have each person send a swap (for mama and/or baby) to the next person on the list (last person sends to the first. We could do it now then people could mail out their swap as babes or born or we could wait until everyone has birthed.
For the beads we could do that separate since we'd want the beads ahead of time for the birth.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#25 of 49 Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

When I suggested this, I thought I would coordinate it. But, I really can't right now - WAY too much going on here right now - the move, the marriage, etc, I would probably put it on the backburner and never get it done. So, can someone else please organize? Pretty please???
#26 of 49 Old 08-30-2004, 09:13 PM

I don't mind doing it for the swap but not sure about how the bead thing would work so will leave that to someone else.
I'll wait another few days to see who else responds and put something in next weeks general thread to remind people to sign up. I think it will be great to be able to give a gift to someone on the list I've gotten to know on the list-I'm excited!
Ann

#27 of 49 Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 PM

I'll take on the bead project (Thanks Katie for introducing the idea and thanks Ann for taking on the gift swap). Not sure how to get it organizied but I'll put my preggo brain to the task and see what I come up with.
#28 of 49 Old 08-30-2004, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mirthfulmum -

Here is what I was going to do.....have everyone PM me with their addresses, and then compile them into a list on my computer, and email the list out to everyone - with address, username, and real names all included. Then set a deadline - say, everyone has to have their beads mailed out by Sept. 15th or whenever. That way nobody will see our addresses and names except the October mamas.

But totally do whatever you want!!!!! Just wanted to share what I was planning!
#29 of 49 Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 PM

Great idea Katie. I don't think my very mushy brain would've come up with that. I probably would have made the whole thing very complicated and convoluted.

I'm gonna go post on our weekly thread to see who wants to participate!
#30 of 49 Old 08-31-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for organizing this mirthfulmum.....I appreciate it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page