Week of August 16th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 104 Old 08-19-2004, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HEY MAMAS!

Soogie, sorry about the scare! I went through that with Miles at around 38 weeks. Not fun!

Letia holy smokes!

Lucysmama, while packing, moving and unpacking, and any time I go for a walk, I get contractions and major round ligament pain. I think it's normal, but definately take things slow.

Mirthful, I pictured you dark with curly hair! Weird huh?

Nancy, I just fired my CNM (she was my backup) I just don't want to deal with seeing 2 mw's. It went easy, but I think my situation is different in that she can't attend me if I'm a homebirther (legal issues)

Piglet glad your nights are getting more restful!

My dh freaked me out today. We were talking about pain releiving and relaxation techniques to use at birth time and he says "won't you be given something for the pain?" and panicked! UHHHHHH HELLO! I really am talking to a brick wall sometimes. Poor guy, he's got lots of birth videos to watch with me now! he totally is out of the loop! I guess juggling a full time job, full time school, buying and moving into a house and traveling, have kept him in lalalala land.

anyone formerly gbs and not taking the test? I was, Miles was sepsis, but this time I'm not testing. I was totally mishandled. Even though I was gbs positive, the ob I had ruptured my membranes 1 week prior to his due date (he didn't come till 9 days post due date) without my permision, and broke my water in early labor. She may has well written out an invitation to the bacteria to infect my son. I'm just uping my vitamin C, and will probably eat lots of pro biotic foods closer to due date.

I've also started alphalpha tea, and extra vit K, we're not doing the shot at birth. Anyone else?

later mamas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 104 Old 08-19-2004, 09:46 PM

hi mamas!

gosh soogie, that was a scary read. i'm really glad to hear everything is ok and your babe was just catching up on some rest.

it's really neat hearing that things are really coming together for all the moving mamas in our group too.

momadance, we won't be doing the vitamin k shot, but are considering oral vitk. i'm not sure yet... i may just try to eat loads of those green things that are loaded with it - or perhaps juice them since i could probably get more that way.

i'm also unsure of the group b strep test. i once tested positive for it (about 2 years ago) but that was under really unusual circumstances. dh and i both got strep throat (and ass too, an unfortunately common side effect which is REALLY unpleasant). anyway, i also got a vaginal infection at the same time which our inept exdoctor felt was probably bv (but i really think was related to strep since it felt just the same as my throat, just in a worse spot) and gave me some antibiotic cream stuff. well, we recovered from the strep throat (and ass) on our own and the cream seemed to do the trick with my nether regions. so about a week or so later i go for a pap and some cultures and it comes back saying i have group b strep colonization. apparently the antibiotic cream kills ALL the bacteria, good and bad, EXCEPT gbs. go figure. so it kind of makes sense that i was gbs positive at that point... anyway, i'm not sure what i'm doing with regard to the test this time... i think i'll take it but if i'm gbs+ i'm not going to skip the homebirth and go to the hospital for and antibiotic IV if everything is fine otherwise, so i'm not sure what to do.

as for exercise, way to go wannabmommie! my energy level is good and i've not been having any bothersome contractions at all really (at this point i think my ridiculous getting stuck episode was from muscles other than my uterus). so i've been able to continue exercising... i ride the elliptical trainer a few times a week, walk a lot, and climb once a week (there is a pretty bad picture of me climbing at 29 weeks on the yahoo group). basically i'm just listening to my body... i stopped doing yoga cause it actually started to feel like i was more likely to pull something in my pelvis than to benefit from the stretching, even when taking it easy. now i just stretch gently on my own. and definitely no kickboxing for me!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#63 of 104 Old 08-19-2004, 10:24 PM

hi, all,
i am jumping in. i haven't read all of the posts, yet. what a great idea to do a weekly update (your idea, piglet68?)

i am thrilled to be expecting our second child. dd will be 32 months old when baby arrives.

we are planning a home birth and have a fabulous midwife and doula!

i am still working full time, till the end of september. i am due around october 8th.

i had to tell my mother tonight that i do not want her at the birth (she wasn't at the first one, either) and she was so upset and feeling sorry for herself. problem is that i KNOW that if she were around i would be stressed out, anxious and defensive. sigh. i guess i need to just move on. i've done the hard part of telling her, and given her emotional issues, i know that i cannot expect her to understand, to respect my choice, or to understand that this is about *me* having a healthy natural delivery and not about *her*. she told me i was selfish, and that her friends had all been there when their dd's gave birth. 'yes, mom, well, their relationships were different than ours'

okay, sorry for the rant and pity party.

it is really good to be here at mdc!
#64 of 104 Old 08-19-2004, 11:52 PM

Welcome Proudly AP

I too also recently talked to my parents about their presence (or lack of) at the birth. They both get so anxious about my well being (probably based on Ethan's traumatic birth as well as a myriad of serious health issues I've had since) I know I would pick up on their anxiety if everything didn't look picture perfect ... and I just don't want that in my birth environment, you know? So ... I put them in charge of pampering Ethan during the labor phase ... and if I'm not actually birthing in the middle of the night (when Ethan would be asleep), I would love for the three of them (Ethan and each of my parents) to be there for the birth itself. I just don't want the stresses of having them around during labor. They took it pretty well, I think b/c I stressed the importance of how much of a help it would be to me to know that Ethan was being made feeling really special, etc. etc.

Shoot, had more to say, wanted to reply to other posts, but have to run...
#65 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 12:17 AM

K, Just peekin in! :LOL Yall are crazy! Yall haven't seen me! I'm don't look like Christine! I wanna look like her so I gotta work out..

I *ain't* no skinny white girl to say the least!

Don't be impressed! The instructor *saw* on my face I didn't want to be there today! :LOL They stood up to do raises and I said do I have to? :LOL Today was my last day of the week since I'm easin back into my routine. I put my tail on that bike on Monday! : I don't see how Mary rode a donkey at full term.

I stayed home this pm instead of leading my worship team meeting. The person who does my pedis was booked this weekend so she had a slot this afternoon. Wow, my toes look better! I was beat when I got home and then cancelled my meeting. I didnt get any rest until later tonight. I realized I needed to call the CPM about her availability and then her apprentice, who also is working on her CPM called me the night before. I talked to both of them and liked them. The hb CNM called the CPM and told her looks like there's *still* no wb at UNC! The CNM is an hour away from me and trained with the CPM to give birth, so I think the CPM might be better b/c she's closer in for prenatals. Course, at errrrrrrrrr, 32 weeks, at home visit is on the horizion. Guess I should really clean up the joint for real! I have a birth doula visiting this weekend, so I need to really work it tomorrow!

I have a prenatal on Saturday with the hb practice....:

I'm up...mama called to check on me...she forgot she actually talked to me this weekend. I wanted to say I'M HAVIN A HOMEBIRTH! :nana She's had a heart attack. No sense in givin her one. *Noone* IRL knows...Mils reaction will be rich. Its amazing how she *clearly* doesn't agree with things and lets it be known. I guess if she disagrees enough you'll change your mind? Mama might exclaim and say she was only kidding when she offered her swimming pool for my wb. :LOL My Pastor's wife wanted to be at the birth....I guess I need to tell her that its a little closer....:LOL If she had a fit about me not having a u/s.... I'm such a rebel. I think I will be the first person folks know.....since my grandma Thailour! :LOL Not sure if Nanny had any of hers at home.

Well, that's the latest! Karin!!!!! WHAT! I haven't checked all my email! I ordered the hat! *but* I could suuuuuuuuuure use some hats for the baby. I ordered 3-6 b/c my fuzbomb is a small. Not even necessarily fruit! She knitting non fruity ones? Got some pics?

Well, I think I've got an adrenaline rush about the hb thing and I might stay up a little while longer....uh about 15 minutes. :LOL

#66 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 01:18 AM

Letia -
Good gracious woman!!! I still applaud you for working out, that is awesome! You are gonna be one fit mama for labor and birth. And YAY!!!! for all your recent birthing plans. I hope this hb practice is a good fit for you and Jason.

Karin -
How lucky you are that your mom knits! I was just checking out some fruit hats at a local boutique...they are so cute! I would love one, and I would be happy to paypal for one!

ProudlyAP-
We have a lot in common. I am due 3 days behind you, and I also have a daughter who will be 32 months at the birth, and we are having a homebirth, too! I also had to tell my mom she isn't coming to the birth. There's NO WAY she's coming in the door. She was at my hospital birth, which ended in a cesarean, and I think her presence had a lot to do with it. She was very unsupportive, and later (after the birth) told me, "Well, I never thought you could have a vaginal birth anyway!" Anyway, she was VERY snarky when I told her that not only is she not coming to the birth, but that I don't want any visitors for at least 24 hours after the birth. She thinks I'm being "selfish", too. : I definitely feel your pain...it can be so stressful to tell your mom stuff like that!
#67 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 01:23 AM

OMG Soogie, that was quite a scare that you had...glad all is well

Proudly AP Don't know how you working mommas get through the day without a nap! Take heart in knowing you aren't the only one here that has had to have that conversation with your mom...although I am one of the ones who you guys probably think am crazy because my mom will be there this time, my MIL was last time.

Momadance- we aren't giving the Vit K injection either...it's what we will actually be discussing at the next appt with my midwife. I'd feel comfortable skipping the oral as well but if it makes things easier then we will probably administer it (at least the first dose and then I might not *remember* to give the follow ups). No eye ointment either. Or vaxes but I don't have to worry about that at birth here.

Letia- don't make excuses for yourself, still exercising at this point whether or not you want to be there is still a major feat IMO! I am with the school of ladies that can hardly make it round the block without BH and severe pelvic pressure. And that's great that you are meeting the HB midwife soon, I am jealous of all you HB momma's...if it weren't for my location I'd be doing that too!

It's funny how many of us thought of you as dark haired Mirthfulmum....are you sure your not pulling our legs, maybe that's a friend of yours...just kidding of course

Oh and Piglet...yeah to Emily It's nice that you are getting more sleep and that she isn't having a problem with dropping some nursing sessions!
#68 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama
Karin -
How lucky you are that your mom knits! I was just checking out some fruit hats at a local boutique...they are so cute! I would love one, and I would be happy to paypal for one!
Not even necessarily fruit! She knitting non fruity ones? Got some pics? (from Letitia)

I don't have any pics of the current hats she's been knitting, at this time, but here's a link to the ones she made last winter. It will give you an idea of the type of thing she was doing. The ones in these pics were for toddlers, not newborns, and were winter weight. I'll try to get some pics of the current hats this weekend, okay? Thanks. (if you can't get in to view them, let me know. I can post them to our OctMamas group).
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kar.../ph//my_photos
#69 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 11:03 AM

Soogie, I am so glad everything is ok. I had one of those scares with DD, and it is scary when you can't feel them move.

Letia, that is great you are doing so much exercise. I still walk for 1 hour/day several days a week, but I can't imagine doing work-out machines (although I couldn't imagine doing it non-pregnant either LOL).

I am pretty sure we aren't giving Vit K either. My midwife where we used to live, said that newborns are born with enought Vit K and her theory is that the extra Vit K actually can cause jaundice.

krnflwr: those hats are adorable. I LOVE the strawberry one. How much is your mom selling them for? We are going to need lots more winter clothes than we had, DD was born in KY and we lived in TN last year and now we are moving up North, where it is much colder. Poor DH, who is from TN will have a lot of adjusting to do, he has never lived in a northern climate. LOL

Piglet, yay for Emily! That is great she is weaning. Maybe I should have Emily call my Heidi up and give her some weaning tips LOL. I wish she would wean my nipples are so sore and I have nursing aversion so bad, but she is still attached as ever to nursing. She doesn't nurse at night anymore and she falls asleep at night without nursing, but during the day it is every time I sit down, especially at the computer. Somehow, mommy at the computer = nurse in her eyes. So, I am really hoping this aversion and soreness goes away when Greta is born.

I am sorry for those of you having mom problems. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about either my parents or the in-laws showing up during labor. My mom will drive up and stay with us a week after Greta is born, and that will be great. She is a great helper, and will clean our house, cook, do laundry all those things for us and leave us to bond with the baby. I doubt my MIL has any plans to visit any time soon. She is really far away and doesn't have much money to afford to fly.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#70 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 12:35 PM

Flitters! Your post have been cracking me up! Strep Ass That's so funny! My mw suggested something called hibicleanse. It's a vaginal wash you can do at the start of labor that is AS effective as anti-biotics have "proven" themselves to be. Might be something you want to look into!

Oakember: no vax here either! Miles has never been sick even (aside from and ear infection or fever) HMMMMMM could there be a connection with sickness and vax/well baby check ups

The 2 newest born boys in my circle have beautiful little uncut penisis! It's so great to be meeting folks who aren't into genital mutilation!

Told my MIL last night about our plans to hb. She was super supportive! She was just like "lemme know my role and i'll be glad to do all I can" Wow much nicer then my mama telling me how "stupid" it is. Oh well, she's not invited until little bubas out of the womb! I thought MIL might flip, she's a former OB nurse, and caught a few in her day, she apparently is hip to what's best for a laboring mom, I mistook her for having a Dr. is god attitude. Pleasant surprise.

I think Eccard Drugs has the blow up kiddy fish pools on sale now for us H2o Hb's! MIght want to rush out and invest!
#71 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 12:56 PM

Momadance- Tell me about it! I had reoccuring ear infections as a child and tubes in my ears 3 times...putting Ember at a high risk for them, right?...yet at nearly 4 years and vax free she's never had an ear infection, HMMM That's awesome that your MIL is supportive of your HB! I feel like I am a broken record telling you guys over and over how jealous I am!

Anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend? We are going to a wedding tomorrow, a friend who was one of our best friends years ago that we barely see anymore...it's a little weird b/c we've only met his fiance once, we will be giving them cash b/c we have never even seen their house and have no idea what their taste is (and they don't have a registry). Should be fun!
#72 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 01:21 PM

Akkk, I've totally let this week get away from me. I think I've just caught up on all the new posts (and threads). In an effort to save time - yours and mine I won't respond to all the individual posts. I'll just say Hugs to you ALL for everything your dealing with.

This week has been uncomfortable to say the least, pretty much feeling like most have already described. I just got out of the bath with DD which was a great idea, my groin muscles feel much better after a soak and she had fun too.

I'm getting concerned about a few things now as we get closer to baby day. First, I'm hoping and praying that baby has turned and I won't have to deal with breach presentation during the last few weeks (I've already researched things to try to get baby to turn). I'm also up in the air about what to do regarding the GBS test. I never was tested with DD (I don't know why but my OB never even mentioned the posibility) and I REALLY want to avoid an IV during labor. My midwife is leaving the decision about being tested up to me but I can tell she leans towards testing as does my DH apparently.

There is also all the physical stuff to be done... deal with baby clothes (I don't even know what I have, I was given a big garbage bag full of stuff at the beginning of the preg and haven't touched it yet), move furniture around in DD's room to accomodate a few baby things, pick up all the things we'll be borrowing from friends, etc.

And finally there is the name issue. The issue is that we don't really have any that we are happy with! DH is not into the baby naming thing but he is quick to veto suggestions I make. I know I have 7 weeks to sort this all out but it seems like it is all coming too fast!!!

OK, enough complaining... we're off to visit my sis and BIL in Ottawa this weekend, should be a fun time. Have a wonderful and hopfully restful weekend everyone!
#73 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 01:43 PM

Laurel -

I could cry when I think of everything I still need to do. And, my house is a dirty mess of boxes and crap everywhere, and I just wanna nest and make everything nice! I am like you, I have a billion things to do in the next seven weeks.

Ok, I have a couple of questions:

-Is your baby hiccuping ALL THE TIME??? My baby gets them 3-4 day, at least! I don't remember that with dd.

-For those of you who are co-sleeping, what are you going to do with all the baby's stuff? DO you have a room just for the baby's clothes and toys, and if you have older toddlers, what do you do with their stuff? We're moving next week, and it seems kinda screwy to have a room just for the kids' stuff, but I don't know what else to do with it! Maybe a playroom/stuff room? I don't know.

-When is the best time to get fitted for a nursing bra? Should I go to Motherhood, or a department store? Those are pretty much my options.
#74 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 02:15 PM

Yes, nursing bras - that is something else on my to do list! New undies too now that I've stretched the hell out of my old ones!

I don't know when to get fitted for a nursing bra. I know what size/model worked well for me last time so I might just pick up a couple more like that and hope that things are the same time around.

We have a "bedroom" for Clara where she starts the night asleep in her own bed and it is where her clothes and diapers reside. I'm getting a bigger dresser from my Dad in a few weeks that I think will hold all of Clara's clothes as well as the baby's stuff. So, yeah I consider that room a stuff room as much as a bedroom. Especially considering she is not spending more than a couple of hours there asleep per night these days oh yes, and the occasional nap!

If you've got the space, I think a kids room is a great thing.
#75 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 04:56 PM

Just got back from my 32 wk appt...
:
My 3 hr glucose test was a-ok...no gest diabetes. Yippee!!

And we had a big discussion about my birth plan, and she (doc) agreed to all of it. Water birth, no IV, no electronic monitors, etc.. I'm thrilled. She trained at the Farm w/ Ina Mae, and worked as a mw for years before she became an OB, so I wasn't expecting much of a fight, but it was so nice that we are in complete agreement, and so is the hospital. I feel so relieved and thrilled, excited about having the birth I really want.
Hopefully everything actually goes according to the master plan.
Now to convince Baby Cookie to turn head down, as she seems to really like laying transverse.
Just wanted to share my news w/ you all!
#76 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 04:59 PM

Congrats Karin! I'm assuming this is a hosp or bc birth?

Well, if I want *my* birth I'm headed home! The this technology driven area can't figure out birth without their toys. The residents can't use a fetoscope!!!!
#77 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 05:27 PM

Letitia, I'm going to a hospital.

I talked to my mom about the hats, and she says she'll start knitting this weekend. If anyone has any particular colors or requests, please let me know. I'll post pics of what she has made once they are done.
#78 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 05:28 PM

About baby's stuff: The crib is side car-ed to our bed, and we have an extra chest of drawers in our bedroom that will act as diaper storage and changing table. We're getting another chest of drawers from my parents that will hold most of the baby's clothes ... right now everything that I have out is hung in the guest room closet. The chest of drawers for his clothes will probably go in the guest room, since there's just no where else to put it. If it would fit, I'd put it in "DS's room" (it's nothing but storage, he doesn't really play and certainly doesn't sleep there) ... but there's no room

I'm scheduled to do the GBS test at my next appointment (the week after next) ... both my doc and DH think it's a wise idea, and I'm on the fence ... so we'll just keep our fingers crossed that it turns out fine and I don't need to be hooked up to the good ole IV pole. We will do the eye drops (delayed, a few hours after birth probably) ... but as of now, I'm thinking no Vit. K. Aside from the PKU (which apparently they freak out about here if you try to delay), the baby will get no other pokes.

Stuff I have left to do ... oh gosh, I don't even want to think about it. There are a few more things I still need to buy or make for the baby ... more things that I *want* (not necessarily *need*) to make for the baby and DS. I need nursing bras and nursing pads. Need to get DS's Halloween costume figured out so I don't have to worry about that post partum. (He wants to be a police man, shouldn't be too complicated...) Need to make sure I can fit the car seat into the car w/ E's car seat *lol*. I'm 33 week tomorrow, and the weeks really seem to be *flying*. It's scary to me. DS was a week late, and so I'm not thinking I'll go into labor at least until 40 weeks ... but for some reason the full moon at the end of September seems calling to me ... but I'm talking to myself as if there's no way I'll go 'till 40 weeks ... don't want to get *too* antsy waiting, yk? These babies will be here before we know it!!
#79 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 05:31 PM

Karin, I'd love a pumpkin hat for the new baby Let me know how I can reimburse you/your mom (paypal, send a MO, whatevah...)
#80 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

31 weeks, 4 days

I had my very first surprise party today: they really got me. Our new secretary asked for help with the fax machine - didn't know we had one in the student lounge, lol...we don't! I walk in and there is everybody in our group with a cake, balloons, and lots of food. Of course, I'd just stuffed myself silly on a muffin and chocolate croissant! I was so touched, I almost had tears! They even gave me a lovely gift: a large frame with room for a photo and a little thing to do an impression of baby's foot.

We're also having a party this evening at my boss's house.

My mother flies in tonight. I'm so excited to see her! Emily is expecting her and I'm just so excited that they'll be reunited. Emily is talking so much lately, I can't wait to see them interact!

Soogie: I'm so glad to hear baby is okay. I have had that panic on a few occasions and jostled and poked poor Sasha until he responds. With my first PG, one of my group lost her baby the day before her due date: just stopped moving. It was absolutely devastating to all of us (hope that doesn't freak anybody out; it just still gives me the sobs thinking about it).

Kids stuff: with DD we have always had her stuff in our room, but with two kids I insisted on getting a 2 bedroom apartment. They'll both sleep with us, but the changing table and diaper stuff will be in there, as well as both their clothes and stuff.

Letia, you crack me up! The fact that you "ain't no skinny white girl" is exactly the point. You beat the pants off all of us in terms of stamina and fitness, which is alot more to brag about than body size, kwim? And I totally cracked up when you said you didn't know how Mary rode a donkey full term. : I never thought of that, but I'll tell my mother, she'll crack up too (she's a very devout Catholic).

flitters: you are too funny! Strep Ass?? Is that the clinical term?

krnflwr: congrats on passing the GD test. I passed mine, too!

amelia: well, all I can say is we are two fab mothers I mean, with nursing aversion hitting full swing and very sore nipples, we still can't quite turn down our babies. I'm sure many people would think us crazy! DD slept through the night last night, but did ask for milkies before she got up. I let her nurse just for a minute and she was fine with that. I just can't turn her down sometimes. I, too, am counting on the nipple pain etc resolving itself when baby is born and the milk comes in.

Can't remember who brought up wondering what the visitors will think when older child asks to nurse with the baby. I have to say, while my family knows Emily still nurses, your post sort of made me panic a bit. After all, right now I tell DD that "milkies are for bedtime" if she asks to nurse in public (which is rare for her to even ask). I'm afraid I'm not comfortable doing that (partly b/c she messes around with my shirt etc so it's not subtle!). I am so afraid of sending her the wrong message, that nursing a toddler is somethign to be ashamed of, or wrong. Yet how am I going to explain when I nurse Sasha in public? Anybody have any ideas? I'm sort of ashamed of myself for being too chicken to nurse her in public anymore, and I don't want to pass that foolishness on to my DD.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#81 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 06:33 PM

Flitters, can your midwife give you the IV at home? I know mine said she could (if I chose to have the antibiotics.

Karin, congrats on the no GD!! Piglet have you heard anything yet?

DS has his own room that he naps in but not sleeping at night yet. I hope to get him in there before the baby comes since he is a light sleeper, and likely to be up whenever the baby is. (I'm also hoping we can get him sleeping through the night, or at least most of it and getting himself back to sleep, very soon. I just can't imagine getting up with both kids, I'll never ever get any sleep!!) Not making a room for the baby since we will be moving from here before the baby is a year old. Just gonna leave the guest room as-is. I have the changing table in our room, where I'll keep dipes and some clothes, and cleared out a drawer in my dresser for the rest of the clothes. I think that will take care of the baby's needs.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#82 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 09:30 PM

Piglet - that was me who brought up the older child wanting to nurse w/ baby thing. Sorry if I made you panic. At least all your family still knows. I have no idea who knows or doesn't know, cause my dh surely doesn't mention it to anyone. My dad and stepmom know and are fully supportive and proud of me, but they're not the ones I'm worried about. I feel like you, I don't want to send a message that it's shameful, but I don't want people glaring at me like I'm doing something icky, cause that'll make me feel icky. My dilemma is do I tell these people before hand, like a warning, so it wont be a surprise? But then I feel like that validates that it's "unusual" by warning people ahead of time. I think what I'll do is just invoke the spirit of some of these outspoken mamas here, like "Sustainer" and have a f-u attitude (in my head) and just keep doing as we always do.
BTW- that's so great that they gave you a party, you're so lucky!

Nothing much else to say, except I scored a beautiful bassinet at a resale shop for 35 bucks. I just wanted to have somewhere to lay the sleeping babe during the day while he's tiny. Now I'm searching for a good deal on a rocker-recliner (the last thing I need). I really want a brand new Lazy Boy but I don't know if I want to pay full price or not.

I think it's a great idea to have a kids room to keep toys and clothes, even if they sleep in your room. Logan's got his own room (that was apparently in Hurricane Charley's path) w/ all his stuff and we bought a new dresser for our room for all the baby clothes. When the boys are older they'll probably share a room.

The strep-ass description cracked me up too! Keep 'em comin flitters!

krnflwr- yay for you for no GD and having such a great doc! i just read Ina May's book, that's so cool that she trained with her.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#83 of 104 Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 PM

Christine- it sounds like your E. and my E. could be twins sometimes...b/g twins that is Ember also has her own room that is never used...she'll only play in it when she has a friend over or I'm in it- basically it's a big walk-in toy box that she goes into to drag something out into the living room. Seriously she spends less than an hour in it in the course of a week! But to answer Katie...yes we have a room for kids toys/ clothes that will someday be occupied, I think in our case not until Oakley is old enough to share a bed with Ember! If anything it deflects comments from other people, since there is a bed in there they assume she uses it...not that it should matter to me but hey, I kinda like the fact that I can chose who to tell about our lifestyle and leave others out of it.

About the toddler nursing thing...I can't say I have experienced exactly what you guys will be facing (them seeing the baby nursing and then wanting it) but I have felt your feelings (and the guilt about having those feelings). I was comfortable nursing pretty much anywhere up until about 2 and then from 2-3 I worried about it more but honestly my worries never really came to....I could always tell before hand when she seemed like she wanted to and I'd either scoop her up and pace with her on my hip or something to distract her, or depending on the situation excuse myself and find somewhere private to nurse. I think your toddlers might want to nurse the first couple times they see the baby but the baby will be doing it so much that a day or two at home and I think the novelty of the idea will wear off (not the novelty of nursing but just having to because the baby is...KWIM, they already have criteria of when and why they need milkies). Anyway, I am rambling and not even sure if I am being helpful.

Anyone else's brain turn off from time to time lately? We've been using our cast iron frying pan and twice now I have done dumb things regarding it...I've always heard to put them in the warm oven after you wash them so they don't rust so the other night I washed the dishes (for which I was proud b/c I was tired and just wanted to leave them for the morning) got the kitchen all cleaned and then vegged out on the couch, completely forgetting that I had the pan in the oven on low (it was DH that found it right before bed...5 hrs later). Then again today, I was so tired...I turned the oven on low, came back figured it'd been about 10 mins, long enough...proud of myself for remembering this time...then about 20 mins later I am in the kitchen and there is the frying pan, sitting on the counter...never even made it into the oven :

But I have the night off, we took Ember's cousin Sam with us shopping today and when we went to drop her off Ember wanted to have a sleep over...I've told you of this before, it's the only place she sleeps over and it's always her idea, it's really nice that she has a place that she feels comfortalbe enough to do that (though mommy misses her). So me and Dh went out for dinner and are now gonna watch a movie that we can't see when she's home (The Butterfly Affect, cuz it just came out on the dish)...and we have our own bed tonight
#84 of 104 Old 08-21-2004, 01:30 AM

Woah, just finished watching The Butterfly Effect...that's a pretty f'd up movie? Has anyone else seen it?

I forgot to mention early in my novel of a post that when we were at the restaurant an older lady who had seen me come in walked but my table when she was leaving and was all smiles and said "I love your tummy". It was too cute, never had that happen before.
#85 of 104 Old 08-21-2004, 09:22 AM

Regarding NIP, my dd is 2 1/2 and she still asks to NIP a lot if we are someplace that involves sitting down. So, I still nurse her a lot in resteraunts, church, that type of thing, places where it is easier to nurse her than distract her and do something else. I don't really like doing it, but honestly I have NEVER had anyone give me a funny look, or say anything nasty or anything like that. Most people seem to not really notice or care. Just to clarify, my dd is very big for her age (she wears size 4T clothes and those just fit, aren't big or anything), but she still looks "babyish" Her hair is still pretty short, defintiely too short to put in pigtails or anything like that (it has never been cut), and her face is babyish looking. So, that may have something to do with it. Other, older kids (like 3 and 4) call her a baby and at the park, if she is playing on something lots of time other parents will tell their kids things like "watch out for that baby" so she still looks like a baby to others.

But, you read a lot on MDC about people getting nasty looks or comments for NIP, but I have NEVER had that happen to me. And, I have lived in KY and TN (just now living up north), where breastfeeding is less common and I have still never had anyone say anything negative or seem to notice or care.

Anyway, I was tandem nursed along with my older brother and my mom said that she used to nurse both of us at the same time. I don't know if she did it in public or not. But, it will all work out.

#86 of 104 Old 08-21-2004, 04:57 PM

So many things to say, so little time.

Hannah has her own room, but she doesn't sleep there. We are going to get another dresser for Baby Cookie's stuff, and try to figure out how to fit it all in there. It is sort of a guest room and extra storage room, and the place old toys go to retire.

I tend to try to distract Hannah when she gets the nursing urge when we are in public. It hasn't happened much lately, but unless we are at a friend's house or LLL function, I tend to feel uncomfortable nursing her. I hate that I feel this way, I'd like to set a good example, instead of hiding in the nursing closet. But lately nursing has been so painful and irritating that I'm very relieved that she seems to be moving ahead w/ weaning. We still nurse to sleep and when we wake up, but not too much otherwise. I'm not sure how I'll handle things when the baby arrives. I plan to let Hannah nurse if she wants, but I hadn't thought about the reactions from family or friends yet. We'll probably be holed up in the house for the first few weeks anyway. I'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it, I guess.

I'm really torn over the Vit K injection issue. Feeling like I'd like to pass on it, along w/ most all the other test, shots and bs they push on you in the hosp, but not sure how strong I'll be to argue w/ the nurses, the docs and my mom. Guess I should be doing some research now, get my arguements all lined up.

Baby Cookie seems to hiccup all the time, too, LucysMama. At least I feel very often rhythmic (sp?) little jerks that seem to go on and on. Happens several times a day. I remember having the same thing w/ Hannah, and as a newborn she had hiccups very often, as well.

I think this is the right time, pregnancy-wise, to get fitted for nursing bras. I'm still wearing the same nursing bras from when I was preg w/ Hannah, sadly enough. But they are good ones, they've lasted this long, even they don't look very pretty anymore.

My mom is *so* into knitting the hats right now, and she's tickled to make ones for you guys. She wants to share the love! I dug around and found a few more hats I had laying around the house, including a cute little newborn set (hat and booties) that she made for Baby Cookie. Put those pics in the "Hats FSOT" folder, if you want to take a peek. Sorry some of the pics are sideways, I can't figure out how to rotate them once I've uploaded them. :
Anyway, if you have any requests (like BlueHalo's pumpkin hat) or want to know more, feel free to PM or email me and I"ll help you out.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/karinl...bum?.dir=/1149
#87 of 104 Old 08-21-2004, 05:20 PM

Hi all!
no hiccups here. As far as our baby stuff goes, it's on some cute wicker shelves, and a changing table in our living room.

Bluehalo, I recently read with breastfeeding, the pku can not be accuratlely done until 48 hours after moms milk comes in. Not sure how long your stay at the hosp. will be, but thought I'd mention that.

Has anyone or is anyone doing a belly cast? I think it'll be a fun family project with Miles.

I'm stressing over our crappy fire engine red bath room! The paint is just not going on nicely. And we're going to have to repaint the trim black, uhhhhhhh, I just don't want to deal with anymore painting issues, clean up etc.... Who knew home ownership was such a chore
#88 of 104 Old 08-21-2004, 05:32 PM

re: PKU ... Yeah, I know Apparently it's *most* effective aprox. 6 days after birth (which I guess they get from estimating that most mom's milk comes in by day 4...) But if we're trying to leave the hospital, I've heard of cases where they flag families for CPS if they're discharged w/o the PKU. So, I'm figuring, if we feel like it's not worth the fight, we'll get the PKU before we leave, and then again at our ped.'s at the appropriate time. It's a bunch of BS, if you ask me

I'd love to do a belly cast ...I also want to henna my belly ... I want to have a little party with some of my girlfriends and have them help me w/ the henna ... maybe in a few weeks...

Your bathroom sounds so cool (although I'm sorry you're having such a hard time w/ the paint. Bright colors can be tricky to get just right sometimes, they seem much less forgiving, IME.) ... we have all of our upstairs that's still plain white since we moved in ... I wanted to get some color up before the baby came, but it doesn't look too promising. OH well, we'll see. Hope the rest of your painting project goes smoothly!
#89 of 104 Old 08-21-2004, 07:39 PM

Hi. Well I finally sucked up the courage to fire my first midwife! It was pretty easy since she's never home; I just left a message on the machine. I thought maybe she'd call back and want to know why.... but no. Anyway, it's a relief to have it done and we are sooo excited about our new midwife!

Karin, your Hannah is the most expressive little girl. Was she getting annoyed trying on all those hats? Your mom does an awesome job with the hats, btw. I love the tree one!

We bought a dresser for the baby and plan to use it as a changing table, too, if DH ever gets around to staining it! We bought it unfinished at a natural furniture store and it's still in the garage two weeks later. I want to start washing and putting away the baby stuff!!

So has anyone else called their DP "DH" or "DW" in real life yet? As in yelling from another room, "DH, honey, can you come here and open this jar for me?" :LOL He said, "Who the hell is DH?" Uh... you are.... it means 'Dear Husband'... I didn't mention that it had anything to do with the internet; he just thinks it's his new pet name.

We're not setting up a separate room for the baby, but our half-way remodeled attic has a bedroom and then a large open area outside the room. There's a dormer off to one side of this area and we'll put the dresser/changing table and rocking chair in there. Baby will be sleeping with us in the bedroom. I can't wait. The inlaws will be in town in a few weeks for a wedding, and I just know they will ask to see the "nursery"..... uh-oh.... this is going to be fun to try to explain. : As if homebirth, cloth diapering, slings, and not circumcising wasn't weird enough to them...

Hope everyone's having a good weekend! I'm up to my eyeballs in tomatoes. Time to make gazpacho!

Hey, did anyone else notice the new "on the wagon" and "fallen off the wagon" icons?
#90 of 104 Old 08-22-2004, 07:44 AM

Quote:
So has anyone else called their DP "DH" or "DW" in real life yet? As in yelling from another room, "DH, honey, can you come here and open this jar for me?" He said, "Who the hell is DH?" Uh... you are.... it means 'Dear Husband'... I didn't mention that it had anything to do with the internet; he just thinks it's his new pet name.
: : : : :

I have never actually said it outloud, but I think it ALL the time in my head. I also think using MIL..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page