Week of August 16th - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2004, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit
Karin, your Hannah is the most expressive little girl. Was she getting annoyed trying on all those hats? Your mom does an awesome job with the hats, btw. I love the tree one!
Thanks! Hannah, actually, loves to have her picture taken. She was, however, being stern and forbidding because she was being a "bad guy". Can you see in the pics that she is holding her sword? The hats were her different helmets. She is VERY into Lord of the Rings right now, and rides her horse/carries her sword around w/ her most everywhere. She loves to play Frodo, and I have to be Sam and we go on adventures. Ahhh...imagination!

I actually have a tree hat, also...we wore them last winter and got lots of nice comments, even if they are sort of goofy. I love hats, and my mom loves knitting...so we get along together well! My mom told me that she got some new yarn yesterday and has already started some hats. I'll let you guys know when they arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2004, 01:10 PM

Awwww, Karin! I'm imagining you romping around as Sam and Frodo! What a luckly little girl to have a mama to go on adventures with her and wear silly tree hats!

I am on my way to a wedding shower for an old high school friend. I haven't seen her since before I had kids. I don't even know if she knows about Lucy, let alone the fact I am 8 months pregnant! Just..surprise! I'm enormous! :LOL

And truly, you guys.....I feel really FULL of baby. Baby isn't kicking very much anymore, just squirming. I am so filled up! I can't fathom that I have 7 weeks to go. I fear I am growing an elephant. (Watch me go over by a few weeks and give birth to a 13lb baby. ) I never felt like this till at least 36 weeks with dd, so I can't believe I will make it till Oct. 12th, my EDD. And I'm so run down, and having tons of contractions and such. I know I'm right about my EDD, I was charting my cycles (though I didn't have a period in between my m/c and this pregnancy, I saw when I ovulated.) but I swear it feels like I am due in a couple of weeks, not 7 weeks. Oh well. That's my gripe for the day. I'm enormous and absolutely FULL of baby.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:31 PM

Oh Katie, I so hear you! I feel like a stuffed turkey! And I am really irritable today...started off just wanting to climb all over me and sit on my lap and I am so not feeling like more crowding. I have such an urge to go shopping (it's raining) but I don't have the energy to do anything...thank goodness for the net! I haven't slept well for the past couple nights, I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable and sleeping on the edge of the bed doens't help (Ember sleeping at the other end was short lived). That's my big gripe for the day...should have posted this in the other thread I guess. Oh and wanna hear what I had for breakfast...2 donuts and a coffee, that should about take the cake for worst pregnancy diet ever (well I did have some cantalope too at least). Man I am having one of those can't do this for another 2 months days. Piglet I am so with you on this being my last!!

Hope you have fun going to the baby shower Katie, it will be nice to catch up with your friend.

Karin, that sounds so cute! Ember's big thing right now is Peter Pan and I am always expected to be Wendy...Wendy Angeladiah actually, not sure where she comes up with some of her names...she has imaginary friends named Picketsy, Chandis and Cardol that she's had for 2 years+ now :LOL
Old 08-22-2004, 05:50 PM

Bluehalo...you have every right to refuse the PKU at the hospital and they can not call CPS. The first results are not accurate that is why EVERY state requires that the test be repeated at 1-2 weeks after birth (actual time varies by state). The baby needs a true protein challenge...ie milk for at least 48-72 hours, not just colostrum. Talk to your pediatrician BEFORE the birth and go over which tests will be administered and which will not. Actually, it was my ped that told me to deny the PKU at the hospital when I had ds #1. If he hadn't informed me that the results were not reliable, then I would have naively done it. And let me tell you, you will only want to test your baby ONCE...it is very difficult to get blood droplets out of their itty bitty heels. Aidan looked like he was being tortured and I think I cried as much as he did. If your ped is on board, then the hospital can not give you any trouble.

Susan
Old 08-22-2004, 09:07 PM

Enjoyed the meeting with the MW yesterday! They are both Christians! \o/ The supervising mw sees it as her ministry and we just clicked! I got paperwork and dh told the finance team as they were asking me about the birth that we were doing a hb. I think that's the way we're leaning! We need to call and let her know, *I* think tomorrow...I think that dh is pretty set tho.

We just finished meeting with the doula. She's in the process of DONA certification; but, she's doulaing on a volunteer basis for the time being, beyond the three required no fee births. I like her! She's a Christian too and very laid back! I told her hey! PRAY for me! :LOL They'll be sittin around the tub praying....:LOL She came in and took off her shoes! I was barefoot too. Dh likes her.

Next Sunday we meet with the photographer to plan a pregnancy photo shoot. So, if I don't get a pic up, it will be one of those. Not a nakey one tho. Yall might turn me in for disturbing the peace or I might :scare yall or something.

No dh just, use a lot of board code in our ims. He tells me to stop talking in code. :LOL

Allright...I'm out!
Old 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM

That's sooo good Letia about the mw! I feel all warm and fuzzy for you! I think you're going to have a beautiful birth.

It's raining here today too, and it's so nice. We all slept till noon today and then went out for pancakes. We also got some stuff for the house. I think I'm officially nesting now.

I had a horrible calf cramp in the same leg the past two nights. I'd been so good about preventing them, so I was kind of surprised. After the one last night, I needed to lay on my right side, so my leg wouldn't hurt - but that tips Zander onto his feet and hands so he beats the crap out of me until I turn. But my leg was screaming when I turned on my right side, ugh. I'm really surprised I fell back asleep after all that.

Hey OakEmber - did you and your dh have nice night alone the other night? I'm kinda jealous. I almost rented Butterfly Effect the other night but decided I wanted a light-hearted movie instead (plus I had heard how disturbing it was). So we got 50 First Dates instead, but I ended up bawling at the end anyways.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

Old 08-22-2004, 11:29 PM

Letia - YAY!!!! I have a feeling you will have a wonderful, peaceful, loving birth. The image of women surrounding you, praying and supporting you sounds so warm and wonderful!

I had such a weird time at the shower today....it was one of those times where you see people from your past that you'd be happy to never see again...and you have to make polite chit-chat with them. : I am feeling so annoyed with everyone in general, and the last thing I wanted to do was hang out with people I went to high school with. There was this pregnant woman among them, and she was talking about how she is 30 weeks pregnant, but her doctor thinks she is measuring big, so he is going to move her due date up by 3 weeks. She was all excited, like that meant she would go into labor early if her doctor changed her date. Like her baby is going to get that message!!!

Is anyone NOT doing the PKU/Vit K/eye gunk at all?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Letia, it's great you are getting comfortable with everything and finding the right match!

Gottaknit-good for you! If she wasn't working out then out she goes, just glad you found a good replacement too!

I'm anxious to meet again with my midwife-Sept 1. It was like we had known eachother for a long time already and just fell into an easy rapport. DH is going next time so he can meet her and see the great birth rms-they are so pacific northwest with the pine paneling and coziness-love it!!!!

I'm only 30 wks but can't imagine getting much bigger-I'm huge! Even many of my maternity pants are tight-yikes! I don't weigh more than last time but sticking out farther in front I think....I sleep terribly too. It's a little depressing to think I won't have a good night's sleep for another year or so All for a good cause I know.

Still unpacking and trying to get all the baby stuff in one corner so I at least know where it's at!
Take care
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:25 AM

Unless it's a new law, DS never got the PKU a second time after the hospital.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 08-23-2004, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf
None of my boys did either....
Old 08-23-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf

None of my boys did either....
I'd have to dig through my links to find where I read that every state required a repeat PKU. It was broken down state by state of the "required" tests at birth and after, including vax schedule and such. Most states include and require other newborn screenings, not just PKU, in the heel stick profile. I think Texas, where I am, has a total of 5 genetic/metabolic disorders.

Quote:
Is anyone NOT doing the PKU/Vit K/eye gunk at all? - Lucysmama/Katie
We pass on the Vit. K (as long as there are no complications during birth which would warrant it) and a definite no to the erythromycin eye goop. We'll be doing the PKU, just to be on the safe side, but only at 2 weeks after birth. My cousin had lost her first baby to SIDS, 9 years ago and when she had ds #2, she had all the "routine" screenings done and this time Fatty Acid Disorder: MCAD, was added to the profile. Well it turns out, that her son does have this genentic disorder, but it was caught and treated early. It was most likely the cause of her first son's death. So to err on the side of caution, knowing someone where the newborn screening was critical, I choose to do that part.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:06 PM

I asked my midwife about the PKU tests last night at my prenatal visit. It's not a law in Oregon. You don't have to have it at all. (I plan to get it done anyway, though.)

Definitely will pass on the eye ointment.

Undecided on oral vit K, but no vit K shot for sure.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:24 PM

I think I should have phrased my post that it's not necessarily a state law for the PKU and other newborn screens but are routine and strongly encouraged and that the schedule to have the test done at birth and then repeated are, just that, routine. Most peds follow the state health's department regulations to the tee and most parents don't know they have a choice either way. Anyone can refuse ANY and all testing. ie vit K, eye goop, hearing screen...
Old 08-23-2004, 09:26 PM

Court- Thanks for asking about our night...it was nice but I didn't sleep well...haven't been in general lately anyway so maybe I wouldn't have regardless. You should really watch The Butterfly Effect sometime, it was really good...but I KWYM sometimes you just need to watch something light. I can't wait to see 50 First Dates, looks really funny.
I will be discussing NB procedures tomorrow with my midwife and then I will give a clear update...right now I just know for sure no eye goop and no Vit K injection. I don't really have an issue with the PKU, so long as it is done at a later point...I will be BF during to ease Oakley's discomfort and I think since it doens't have any negative health consequences like the Vit K injection potentially could, the benifits outweigh the risks on that one for me. I could just cry though for Ember having all those things without being snuggly in my arms ...ah but we get wiser with time.

User Tag List