It's September!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking of you Amy!! Take care.

OK, I have to vent a little off topic-my oldest had his first day of school and had to ride the bus. We had all the bus info checked yesterday. So we went to the bus stop and all the kids are on the opposite side of the street than what they told me-OK fine-we cross the street and I ask a parent if these kids are going to our school-yes they are.
Then the bus comes and it's a different route and driver from what they told me! I confirm where she's going and she said she's not sure about the info I got but she IS the right bus for my son-OK fine, I was holding things up since all the other kids were sat down and cars are starting to line up so I just kind of patted my son forward. I was so distracted I didn't even kiss him goodbye or see him as he drove off-I started bawling as soon as I got in the door and my dd kept asking why I was sad-poor thing was so concerned about me and kept patting me.
I called the school and they are checking on the bus info but confirmed he WAS at school in his classroom. Of course, when my DH called to see how it went I started crying again when I told him what happened and he started laughing at me. He said it was probably the "organ donation" bus-he's a terrible joker!!!
Good Lord, what do they expect? First day of school and all the info is wrong and you have no idea where your kid is heading. They will get a piece of my mind when they call back, that's for sure-provided I don't start crying again-geesh.

Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#62 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 01:44 PM

Ann - Awwwwww, I am sorry you got off to a rough start! That must have been difficult enough without the added confusion for you and your ds. Hope he has a good day, and loves his school!

I'm off to an MDC mama playgroup! My dd needs it soooooo bad - poor thing is having such a rough time. Hope those toddlers and cool toys cheer her up!
#63 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 02:20 PM

Ann - How terrible! They should have known which bus your child is supposed to be on! They last few years I have just driven my kids to school on the first day, just to make sure they get in the right class and stuff like that. Before that I found out that my daughter wasn't sure where to go on the first day of school. They have a print out in the main entrance where you can check to see where you belong, but she was in grade 1 and not able to read the list so what was she supposed to do?! She had to wait until someone noticed that she was looking lost and help her find her class. Since then I always go, even though she is going into grade 5 (and her brother is going into grade 3). It's so frustrating dealing with public school sometimes!

Katie - so sad about the doggy Hopefully this is just a temporary stay and soon you can be together again. I have such a weak spot for pets, I can't imagine having to give the up.

So scary having to deal with a hurricane right now! I'm also glad I live in such a boring place. The worst we have to deal with is endless winter.

I love fall, but I cannot believe how fast summer has gone by! I still feel like I didn't get enough sun to get me through the coming dark months. I hope we have a long warm sunny autumn this year.

Had my midwife appointment yesterday. Next week we have our home visit. It's time for me to get the birth supplies ready! In just 2 weeks I will be far enough along to safely have the baby at home!!!! It's so exciting. But there is still so much to do. Mainly getting my house clean. Oh, I just don't feel like cleaning today! The sun is actually shining for a change and I think I'm heading to the beach instead.

Have a great day mamas.

Kathy

kathy::
#64 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 PM

Kathy- glad you opted to go to the beach instead of cleaning...sounds like so much more fun!!

Ann- , I am sure I would have cried too! Sounds like no harm done...but man, how frustrating!

Katie- Have a great time...how I wish there were other MDC moms in my area!! I am sure that it's gonna be a great afternoon for Lucy!
#65 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 03:39 PM

Well I have to say I'd take earthquakes over hurricanes any day. Our earthquakes are mostly just a mild excitement and not very damaging. Of course, once the Big One comes it may be a different story... So Amy I hope things turn out OK and your house is still there when it's all over! How scary!

I've been thinking of those of you with kiddies already. It must be so hard to be pregnant and taking care of other kids at the same time. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I've been wondering what it would be like to be expecting a second child... I just can't imagine it. Is it as exciting/scary as the first? I think I'd be so worried about the first kid not getting enough attention after the baby arrives... how do you balance it? Just musing out loud here....

Last night I had my first dream about the baby! It was totally bizarre. We watched an animated educational video on Tuesday in Birthing from Within class about epidurals. The video was written by the same woman who wrote the BFW book, and she made it a cartoon about elk (and their doula was a mouse) in order to make it seem less threatening or judgemental or something. Anyway, it totally messed with my head I guess, because last night in my dream my baby was a tiny 6 pound elk!

In the dream, I could feel it kicking around and I thought there was something wrong with it. So I unzipped my belly and took the baby out to comfort it. It was a tiny elk in a drawstring cloth bag (guess that was the placenta)! So I cuddled it for a while until it stopped crying and then put it back in and zipped my belly shut and said, "See you in six weeks!" :LOL I wonder if that means the baby will be here in six weeks?! That would be Oct 14th, which is DH's guess...
#66 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 04:10 PM

Hi all!!!

Had an appt today, and baby is doing very well and definitely is head down. My urine is being tested though for any signs of an uti, which I doubt that I have, but I am having some uncommon symptoms so my np just wants to make sure all is ok.

Yesterday my oldest and I were chatting and he lifts up his shirt and says "See my baby mommy." I said "oh you are going to have a baby too." HMMM, he says. I then asked him where and he says, "Inside." I said, "so you are going to have a homebirth?", and he replies, "yup." It was pretty cute
#67 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 05:44 PM

Had my midwife appt yesterday too and my DH got to go and meet with her just so he knew where the place was and so they weren't total strangers to eachother on the big day. He was comfortable with the place and even a bit impressed which is hard for him to admit! The kids were with and when they asked if they would be with during the birth my 5 yr old son pipes "I am!" I said I wasn't sure yet, he might come but DD would not since I thought she'd get scared and need too much attention. My son kept saying "I'm coming mama, I want to see the baby be born! It'll be cool!" LOL He's seen a few videos that he thought were "weird but cool" so I think he'd be fine but not sure if I want to worry about keeping him busy during the labor part. We'll see.
Anyway, baby is head down and engaged which is what I told her-guess after 2 it's easy to tell. LOTS of kicking and movement-to the point of hurting sometimes-think I have a kick boxer in there!
Take care all
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#68 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 05:45 PM

33 Weeks!

Hi all - I have so much news to update you all I fear this may read a bit long... Sending good vibes to you Amy as you wait out the storm in the Keys.

I'll take Oregon any day over other areas of natural disasters; I grew up in Kansas and had a childhood filled of tornados. Some of my worst nightmares involve getting stuck out in the open when one is coming at me and my family. I imagine hurricanes must be similar in their abilities to instill fear.

Katie - you've been in my thoughts these last weeks - I hope all of our strong woman vibes are reaching you and helping you to find the inner strength to cope.

Last week we made the biggest score. DW and I had already discussed wanting to avoid being 'consumerists' and were planning to buy most clothes, etc. second hand when possible. Then out of the blue we got a call from a friend of my parents who has two daughters - and they're done with having any more. Garage sale was scheduled for last weekend and did we want private first dibbs? OMG!!! Can I just say our Little Bean is now set for clothes until she's 18 months?!? Three large garbage bags of clothes and shoes. Plus we got her stroller, pak 'n play, bouncy seat, swing, two gates, a manual breast pump (is that weird to use 2nd hand?!) and just a ton of toys. I couldn't believe our good fortune (and we didn't even have to spend one!).

So I have a question... actually two. For baby clothes, etc. is it necessary to use special laundry soap (my mom said she used Dreft when I was a babe)? Also, what about cloth diapers - this first time mom is wondering if they take special care -do you soak or just wash in super hot water with bleach or just normal or?!? sigh - completely in the dark here. Any advice much appreciated.

Nancy and Courtney - let's not talk about restraint when it comes to Mother Natures. Dangit if I don't live one block away from that store; it's always calling my name. Ugh. So far we've been OK with just adding items to our registry but I can't imagine how bad it will be after Bean comes and we 'need' things still.

We're starting Hypnobabies too and I hope that I'll be able to avoid too much fear during the birth. We also start our Birthing From Within course next week. Since there is only one other couple signed up we're going to host it at our home - yay for personal instructor time!

My best friend is arriving this afternoon from Montana for the long weekend. I haven't seen her for about a year and it will be so great to be able to connect again.

Best wishes to all for the long weekend (although I think this is a US thing...)!
#69 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 PM

Susan, I think there are as many diaper-washing protocols as there are brands of cloth diapers. If you ask in the diaper forum you'll get tons of advice, all conflicting. My plan is to start washing them as if they're normal clothes, and then adding soaks/prewashes/rinses etc if needed. From what I hear, newborn poop is pretty runny and doesn't even need to be rinsed. (Anyone who's actually had a baby want to verify that?)

I don't know about washing baby clothes. I was just going to wash them with our normal detergent, which is some earthy brand from Trader Joes. We have a front loading washer and don't use more than a tablespoon of detergent anyway.

Congrats on the score of baby stuff!
#70 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 PM

Well I do have a slight uti...ahhh. I am taking meds and all will hopefully be cleared up in a few days. Guess that explains some of my discomfort. Glad to catch it now.

As for washing diapers, with newborns if you bf all you do is a pre-rinse/presoak cycle and a regular hot wash with a bit of detergent. Very easy. As baby grows and wets more, eats, etc. then you start adding in extra rinses or washes. You will find what works for you.

Off to watch a movie with dh
#71 of 110 Old 09-02-2004, 11:26 PM

About diaper washing: Yeah, what Kimberley said. You definitely want to do at least a pre-rinse before washing if you are only going to do one wash cycle. Otherwise, you will be washing the diapers in poopy water, which doesn't get them really clean. Do a rinse first to get most of the poop outta there, and then a hot wash, and rinse. I do an extra rinse too, but I have kind of a crappy lil washer so it doesn't really get the job done in one rinse. You want the diapers to have no build-up....look in the washer during the rinse cycle, and if there are still suds at all, you need another rinse.

As far as washing clothes, Susan - I would steer clear of the Dreft cause it has a lot of perfumes in it. I would just go with a regular free and clear (We use 'ALL Free and Clear' and we like it.) detergent in case your baby is sensitive, and cause those perfume chemicals can be really harsh and toxic.

Congrats on the score, Susan!!! I love stuff like that! I frequent consignment and thrift stores and garage sales, and it is so great when you luck out like that.

Ok, I am having a serious nesting urge....I am having fantasies about getting the baby's diapers and washing them all, and sorting out all the 0-3 month clothes, and washing and folding them and putting them all in neat little stacks. I am SO not like that. My clothes are in a lump on my bedroom floor usually! Tomorrow I am going to beg dh to help me find the baby's stuff so I can fulfill my biological urge!!!

Nancy - I laughed so hard about your dream! How funny!!!

My baby flipped from its awesome left anterior position into being right posterior last night. GRRRRR. Hope I can get it to turn back again.
#72 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 AM

I'm starting to get that nesting urge too but I can only wash the gender nuetral stuff since DH still doesn't know what the baby is-remember-"Queen of the Secret Keepers" Only about 4 people know so I've done good LOL DH thinks it's a boy since my son always says "he."
I also need DH to put up some shelves in the kids closets so I have a place to store the stuff! We need another dresser or at least the shelves so I have a place to put the stuff. And the dipes can get washed now but I need to get some baskets or something to store them in-I finally have a great laundry rm I can use as a changing area-near the bathrm if I really need to dunk or the utility sink and since I have a front loader I can put one of those curved changing pads on top-I've seen a few people do this and always thought it was a great idea.
Off to order another sling I saw on the babywearing forum
Ann

#73 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 12:36 AM

Can I just tell you guys about my new purchases? I just ordered a bunch of nursing bras and stuff from Motherwear - they're just so pretty and cute, unlike the matronly ones I had for the first one. So I'm really excited about getting those in the mail. We also got my Lazyboy rocker /recliner today and oh man do I love it. It's so big and cozy. It's perfect for nursing in - and for sitting in with a sore perineum. Nest complete.

Susan- congrats on the awesome scores! And I'm just a little jealous that you live in such a cool neighborhood.

Had my midwife appointment and it was so much fun as usual. Zander did his alien move for the assistant and we were like, "Whoa!" Still head down.

Nancy - about having a 2nd baby: It's just exciting (to me) as the first. But, sometimes I wonder how am I going to be able to love another baby as much as I love my first? (I know I will, but it is weird to think about) And I do feel sad sometimes about having to share my time w/ my oldest. I've been extra attentive and cuddly with Logan lately and I just reassure him that he'll always be my baby too. I don't know how it will go, I guess we'll see.

I have dreams about the baby coming out and then putting him back in too. I wonder what that means.

Ann- I would've been freaking out about the bus thing too- your dh sounds pretty funny though. And I forgot that you were keeping the gender a secret! I don't know how you've done it, I would've slipped by now.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#74 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court
Nest complete.
Can I just say I had pangs of jealousy when I read that!?!? :LOL I just cornered dh and made him swear up and down that he would find the baby stuff first thing tomorrow so I could start getting stuff ready. I really think this baby will come in September, and um.....it's September!
#75 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Last night was our final prenatal class at the birthing centre. Only 2 of the 5 couples attended (too bad) but we had a great discussion about newborn care and nursing. It was a very emotional evening for the other couple - as a result for me too. They have been dealing with a breech presentation and the day before they had been to the hospital for a second try at an external version. This time everything was going great until the doc let go and the baby flips back into his head up position! His heartrate went way down for a long time and they figured they were about 30 seconds away from an emergency C section when the HR came back up agian. Anyway, it seems that the cord is either REALLY short or the baby is too too twisted up in the cord to be head down. Anyway, the couple is really devastated and have a Csection scheduled for this morning. Of course they were trying their best to look at the bright side (they get to finally see their baby today!) but there were lots of tears slipping out as the evening went on. I justs felt so bad for them. They have the same dreams I do for a natural labor and childbirth at the peaceful birthing centre and now they are faced with surgery in the hospital. It makes me realise that there really are no certainties when it comes to prenancy, labor and birth. I hope this is not freaking anyone out - I just wanted to share the emotional place I'm at right now thinking of my new friends.

On a much more positive note, my girlfriends just told me they are planning a baby shower tea for me and another preggo friend. This is completely unexpected and unnecessary but boy does it ever feel nice! I have the greatest friends

OK, gotta go but just want to say I've also been thinking about you hurricane mamas and am hoping everything is going well at this point.
#76 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 11:15 AM

I've had 2 kids in the same cloth diapers and only 1 out of 40+ have any stains. This is my diaper washing regimen:

First I put the dipes in the washer at night with just a little 20 mule team borax and COLD water, let them swish around a bit, and then they soak overnight. In the morning I let that cycle run though and then I wash them again, this time in HOT water wtih detergent, vinegar, and a little more Borax. I run it on a long cycle and have the washer do a second rinse. I think having a front loading washer has also helped keep them in good shape...no tearing at the fabric with an agitator. Like, I said, these dipes have seen all kinds of poop and no stains.
#77 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 12:52 PM

Man, so much to catch up on!

Annr33, I would have been an emotional wreck with a school bus mix up

Truebluexf: hope you've reached your destination safely!

Nancy: I think on some level I'm even more excited with this 2nd babe! Only because I know now what it is to have a baby, and the love and warmth about to enter our home. Your dream sounds wild!

another vote for all free and clear!

Lucysmama: my babe flipped the same way last night.

everyone else much love mama's

Yesterday was our first day of "happy school" (a homeschool/pre-school co-op once a week)! It was so much fun! It's a group of 4 mom's and 3yo's. We all "teach" each child in 18 min. segments, and then swap out kids. With a snack/run wild break, and then lunch/run wild break. It went so great! I was in charge of "cooking" with the wee ones. We did applesauce. I can't wait for next week. which will be a field trip to the childrens museum. We rotate every week between class room and field trip. Our next field trip will be to the apple fest in N. Georgia Mtns.!

My birthkit came this morning! They forgot my hibi-cleans though, so I'll have to call.
Dh and I made love last night for the first time in 5 1/2 months! Not the same now being a pregopatamus!
#78 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 03:27 PM

It sounds silly but whenever someone says they have sex for the first time in a long time I feel the need to congratulate them :LOL So Congrats Mommadance, hehe! Getting your bithing kit is so much more exciting though

Nancy about expecting seconds...I understand where you are coming from. Everyone is different, but for me that's why Ember is turning 4, it took me until she was 3 to even being to feel ready again (well that and a m/c, these things aren't really ours to control). Honestly I must be crazy because I never felt the baby urge that all my friends have had even when they still have babies (and I do know the urge because I had it for years before Ember came along) I always thought maybe it was because I was still nursing and co-sleeping, but there are many others here doing the same that still had the urge?!? And about your dream, that's cool...I wonder if the 6 week prediction will hold true too!

I use Echoclean, enviromentally friendly, mild, no perfumes or fragrances...I think it might just be a Canadian brand so I will be using that for baby clothes. If I have really soiled clothes I usually use Arm&Hammer and I think that I will use that on diapers...my mom is super sensitive and gets away with it (when even the Tide free bugs her).

Jillerina- that's awesome that your friends are throwing you a shower

Annr33- I had forgotten about you being the Queen of the secret keepers!!! You definately have earned that title now!

Court- so exciting to have all the purchases you were wanting, it must feel so good! And funny dream too!

Stanleyma- sorry to hear about the UTI!

Beansmomma- Great score! Definately paid off for you two to be patient!

Oh and I can't remember who it was that was talking about the long weekend, it's one for us Canadians too
#79 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 04:34 PM

Had my 34 wk appt today. All good news. No UTI (love that cranberry extract) and Baby Cookie is head down, finally. Yippee! Hopefully she'll stay that way. I'm measuring right on, after being a few cms ahead the last few visits.
A friend of mine had her baby yesterday...big surprise. She wasn't due until the end of Sept, and when her water broke we were all taken by surprise. 3.5 weeks early. Baby is doing fine, weighed in at 7 lbs, 2 oz and is nursing like a champ. But it's really gotten me in a tizzy of worried thoughts. I'm sooo not ready yet for my baby to arrive yet. I don't even know where the car seat is, and haven't washed a thing. Guess I need to get busy, huh?
The funny thing is that yesterday morning, Hannah told me about this dream she had where "the baby was born". She went into very intricate detail (for a toddler) about the baby coming out, how the head came out first and then it took a long time before the rest came out. I wondered if we were overloading her w/ too much info about what birth is all about, but she didn't seem scared or anything. Pretty matter of fact about it all. I assumed she was talking about Baby Cookie. Turns out that she was having this dream right when Carter (my friend's baby ) was born and he was hung up (shoulder dystocia) for some time after the head was delivered. Kinda spooky.
#80 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnflwr
....I'm sooo not ready yet for my baby to arrive yet.....
We have to decide on a car seat to register and I now have with all the customs I'm working or waiting on 18 dipes and 5 covers, including a Tiny Birds pants custom.
http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=28625&vid=12

I pmed you Katie b/c they are w/i your price range..never heard back. Did you get a slot?

Dh took the day off and we've been working in the bedroom (after meeting some of his coworkers for lunch, the we has changed to him. :LOL ) . Its looking good! I told him I needed it clean from floor to ceiling! I can't *wait* to get a sidecar in there! We are changing sides again so the baby won't be near the window. I wish we had room for a glider. Well, we'll see;but, I don't know...unless it goes in place of the bedside table on the other side...but then dh clearing the ottoman getting out of bed to pee....: I guess the rocking will have to be me in carrying the baby in pouch. I just had baby fever too bad...and the calendar was moving to wait til we built our house. AP has made it easier to deal with tho. I won't need to worry about having a nursery. I just would like more room in the bedroom for a chair....

Well, I was supposed to be napping; but, I think I'm on a high. I'll go get some water and check out dh's progress.

Have a great weekend. Those of your who pray to the Lord Jesus Christ, I'm sure that Amy, my niece who fled W. Palm U to Tampa, FL MDC mamas and those whom we've never had acquaintance would appreciate your prayers. Including frmr.Pres. Clinton, I hear is another newsmaker today...

#81 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 05:42 PM

Letia - thanks so much for the heads-up!!! Unfortunately, I had to give dd a nap right at that time. I was hoping to put her off till 12:15 or so, but at 11:50 she started whining and asking for a nappy...I knew I couldn't be on the computer anymore. Duty calls. : So I missed it. So happy you scored some, though! I heard they went in 1 second!

I'm trying to find room in our lil apartment for a nice comfy nursing chair, too. We also have to buy a co-sleeper now because our bed can't be against a wall at this apartment, and we can't put the baby in the middle cause that is where Lu sleeps. I don't want her and the baby next to each other. So now we have to buy something else, phooey. Maybe we can hit up a relative who wants to get the baby something....
#82 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 06:29 PM

I guess "nursing chairs" are on everyone's mind cuz I've been thinking of one too! I really want a big overstuffed thing with an ottoman kind of set up. Or a chaise lounge would be soooo cool! We finally have rm for one but not so much on the money end of things with all the moving expenses. I have a glider that DH keeps reminding me I wanted with DD #2 but it's not so comfy for me and nursing I'm afraid.
Oh well, off to dream in the Ikea catalog
Ann

#83 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 07:26 PM

Hi everyone!

My first "relaxing day" since we left Cleveland. DD is napping and I finally was able to catch up with all your posts!

trublue: hope you guys stay safe and that your home gets passed by!! i'm thinking of you!

katie: glad you guys at least found a place. hope your doggy can be reunited with you soon! I can so relate to how hard it is to be surrounded by stuff and not be able to do much

gliders: i got a cheap one from walmart before emily was born. but it didn't move with us. thinking of maybe investing in another one. i'm feeling so cheap these days I really don't want to fork out for one, but it sure came in handy for nursing!

oops, i gotta fly...but we have internet now so i'll be checking and posting more often now!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#84 of 110 Old 09-03-2004, 11:16 PM

Has anyone seen my energy, because I can't seem to find it anywhere I am starting to feel so tired, so I know the end is coming soon. This always happens to me. Tonight I washed the baby's diapers and put them away, and it really hit me that in roughly 6 weeks or so life is going to be pretty different around here. For so long I have just been pg, but now we are going to have a new family member around. ANyone KWIM?

Piglet glad to hear you are getting settled in your new place.

Katie...hope you find what you need before its too late

Chat more later mamas!
#85 of 110 Old 09-04-2004, 06:30 AM

Kimberly- I definately KWYM, and I am really starting to get excited and look forward to Oakley's arrival, at long last...not that I wasn't looking forward to it before but you know!

Argh so I have a major vent that I think is keeping me up, hopefully after I get this off my chest I can get back to sleep. We were at the fair today (and had a really good time) except for this one incident where another mom brought out the pregnant b*tch in me : Ember was standing by this display, you know the kind the kids stick there head into and get thier picture taken...so anyway, we've been in this nice little kids area for like 5 or 10 mins and are thoroughly enjoying ourselves when this woman comes up gets her two kids in the thing and then barks "Can you get her out of the way" to my mom, refering to Ember (I was a few feet away, beside this woman infact)...so my my moves Ember closer to her, and it's not good enough for the woman so she basically says the same thing again. At this point, I was already : by her tone the first time so I snapped at her...can't remember exactly word for word what I said but basically "Well aren't you just a little bit rude! Four, Five Six! (which is something our family uses to mean FOR F*ck SAKES, incase you aren't familiar with it :LOL) Instead of appoligizing, which of course is what I am expecting...I mean hey, this is my Dd right...she snaps back at me like "don't you know how hard it is to get them to stay still for a pic?" And so I'm like "Yeah but you can still be polite" and she's like "yeah and I'd like to tell you...." then basically cuts herself off before saying the f word, though she did get the F...out. I don't even thing she new Ember was my dd, because she was standing with my mom. I almost yelled at her "yeah well I'm pregnant (cuz I don't even think she noticed, she was just so oblivious to everything around her), what's your excuse for being a B*tch"....OHHH she just filled me with rage...I think it was the momma bear thing, that and the fact that she talked as though my Dd was a "thing" to be moved instead of a person who she should have been directing the question to, KWIM? I guess maybe had I said "she'll move, as soon as you ask her nicely" which is what I would have said had I overheard the same thing coming from a kid, I would have had better results. So then, she leaves and is standing with her family or whoever and I see her point over to me...so I waved her the bird , OK, so I could have probably done without doing that too, but And anyway, I don't think that Ember would be in the pic anyway....you've probably all seen what I am talking about, those things are designed to pretty much take up the whole shot! And just to be sure you know, this took place rather quickly and it's not like we were yelling at eachother or drawing attention to ourselves, it was pretty much a private exchange, don't want you all to have pictures of me creating a scene in your heads.

So now that my rant was over I was really bummed out because I couldn't shed that mood for quite sometime, probably until my blood pressure came down and here Ember was totally enjoying herself and being so sweet...and I was watching her and trying to enjoy the moment but my mind was still racing. It was really cute, the kids were given a basket and then it was a kind of scavenger hunt I guess... they had a little dirt plot and you were were to find 2 potatoes, a chicken coop to find 2 eggs and an orchard to find 2 apples. (that's why Ember was even standing there in the first place, she was not supposed to "look" while they were hidding the potatoes, which was right behind the display so she was only doing what she had been told) Ember must have done it at least 4 or 5 times, it was so cute...she was so independent and would quietly find her things...bring them back to the girls, sort them into the buckets for them...and do it again And I actually witnessed a new side to her, I'd never really seen her be that involved and focused, yet not running around with excitement just calm...hard to explain but that's why I felt sad about the whole not just being able to enjoy the moment thing

Ahhh, hopefully I can get some sleep now. Hope you don't all think I am terrible, do you think you'd have done or felt the same?

Tomorrow we are going to the parade, biggest one that we see around here and Ember is super excited about it, so I really want to get some sleep. Oh and one more thing, made a mistake by letting Ember's first ride be a fast one that goes up and down ....my poor girl, I was trying to reassure her that it was OK but she didn't even look at me...just looked straight ahead, sometimes with eyes closed (is there a cringe icon?) and was saying " I don't like this, I want off". I am glad that she didn't cry (or puke)...and she did get used to it...hopped off and said that was fun, :LOL....but I am lucky she wasn't tramatized!! She went on others after but we were more careful in our selections, and made sure that she was sitting with her cousin, not by herself...so don't make the same mistake that I did when your little ones get to that age!
#86 of 110 Old 09-04-2004, 11:19 AM

Weeeeeeeeell...I didn't do it in IRL; but, I went off on my mama in my dreams. (minus the profanity and in a respectful way; but, speaking my mind is a lot for me. believe it or not) She made me mad last weekend and I guess it was still bothering me. She was cussin and fussin about the invitations to a shower that she wanted to throw for me; but, depending on who you read, she can or cannot throw. She's helping another teacher whom she asked to host and is inviting aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall her colleagues retired and active. (she's a teacher) They threw me a bridal shower too. Its wonderful because mama and many of her colleagues taught me and the rest I have relationships with growing up in a elementary school. She was swamped with starting school (which she does every year) and this is was stressing her out. Weeeeeeeeeeell, I didn't ask her to give me this shower so don't fuss and cuss to me about it! : Aaaaaaaaaaaand she *loves* to lash out when she's that way so she told me that in 6-8 months I'll be looking for a job. I said why? She said b/c I'll want to get away from the baby. I said that's what playgroups are for. Now, her baby is almost 30, and she asks whats that and I said that its probably become popular in the last 10 years or so. I was ! Course, me becoming a SAHM is a sore subject for her. I was a teacher too and quit after 4 yrs b/c I HATED it! And according to our state stats I'm *not* the only one! Working conditions here stink! And even worse for a special subject teacher. (I taught music) She better be glad! Course, I dropped the double major of elem ed., but she was music teacher and she quit after being with me and having her classroom on a cart! She had elem ed to fall back on and now she teaches 5th grade. I didn't want to! uhhhhhhhhh you have to teach math and does she *not* remember that I was in *her* math class. The *lowest*!!! Anyway!

Amie, as far as the fair, well, I'm veeeeeeeeeery non confrontational; but, I think I'd speak up when my baby is being talked about. I would probably be assertive; but, I'm not really the angry type and I don't swear. Course, I'm a different person around dh, as far as anger goes. He usually hears my rant about a situation that I won't tell the person who upset me. Hard to change voicing your feelings when you would get in trouble for expressing yourself when you were a child. Well, I wouldn't because I didn't. My little sister would and I kept my mouth shut. Ahhhhhhhhhh healthy childhood! I've got a 360 to do...

Well, I got a call from my MWs apprentice, whos actually gonna be my primary b/c she's 5 births from her CPM. There's a birth on the coast, which is good that Frances is not gonna call, and she can't make my appointment. And the apprentice has to travel today to the state line too. Soooooooo...I have a reschedule Monday and I have nothing scheduled today! That's a rarity. Next week is my first of my weekends of showers. I better enjoy it! We probably should go to the library b/c only Jesus knows where dh put that Consumer Report on car seats! I guess I have some mags on the table to sort through, I shoudl check. I want to go by bru b/c the changing table I picked when I saw it IRL stinks. But *not* today! Or maybe it might be a good day. I have avoided it but Target has no changing tables in store and TRU was worthless. Seems like folks are still going to the coast since Frances is staying south of us.....I'm trying to avoid the BRU aggravation.

I want some homefries.....
#87 of 110 Old 09-04-2004, 01:39 PM

Amie... I get frustrated with people at times too but because I am an extreme non-confrontationalist, I vent it out to dh. I dream about it too sometimes. Sometimes I wish I could be more bold like you and speak my mind, instead I just usually walk away. Don't beat yourself up though. I haven't really dealt with a situation with my kids in the manner that you did, and if I ever do I will be more apt to respond, because NO ONE messes with my kids.

Maybe its bothering you because of pg hormones and seeing your little girl growing up in front of you and then someone totally being out of line. Combine all those elements and yeah, you are going to respond. {{{{HUGS}}}}
#88 of 110 Old 09-04-2004, 02:02 PM

to Amie! That woman was rude and totally outta line! I probably would have been snarky to her, too.....I can't help it. I know what you mean about getting all wrapped up in what just happened and it distracting you. And about feeling very mama bear-ish! Both of those things happen to me. (Last year around the holidays I was shopping with dd, and this woman came up to her and YELLED at her, right in her little face, for being noisy. My dd had never been yelled at before and got hysterical. I wanted to rip that lady limb from limb, I'm telling you....) And with your pregnancy hormones, it's amazing to see how protective we are over our children and family.

Speaking of that, is anyone feeling a little hermity yet? I went thru this with dd's pregnancy, too - it hit me about 3 weeks before I had her. I don't wanna go anywhere in crowds, or have people over, or go to large social gatherings. I just want to stay home and chill and rest, and not have to deal with annoying people. (It seems like everyone is really annoying lately - I am mentally rolling my eyes all the time!) I guess it partially has to do with it being so difficult to drag my high-needs tantruming toddler around in public, but even going out alone doesn't appeal to me very much anymore.
#89 of 110 Old 09-04-2004, 03:07 PM

Amie - You know I probably would have done the same thing. It gets me so angry when people are rude to my child. I used to be very non-confrontational but have really been working on asserting myself over the past few years. And I've gotten so much better. I still tolerate a lot of cr*p from people when it's directed at myself, but treat my child with disrespect... :.

Katie - I am totally going thru the hermit phase. The idea of socializing just makes me feel grumpy. I am making an effort though to get out a few more times with friends without Alias as I won't be able to have just a girl's night out for quite a while after Harrison arrives. But I really have to psyche myself up to do it. I really just want to stay home with my family and get our home ready for the new arrival.

I'm going to get a massage today. I really really need it. My back is killing me! I keep waking up in the night with my back all cramped up becase I haven't moved in hours. So this morning I woke up with a huge knot just below my shoulder blade... I'm hoping a good massage will help relax it and it may even improve my grumpy pregnant lady disposition .

By the way... last chance for the bead sign up. If you haven't had a chance to PM me with your address get it to me quick. I'm going to compile the list tonight and PM it off to everyone tomorrow.
#90 of 110 Old 09-04-2004, 03:45 PM

How am I gonna last till the 13th! I feel so uncomfortable and huge!
Amie, I'm like that 24/7, I let it out though, in some sort of way. I generally can communicate right away in a calm way, but while preg, I'm not so tactful.

Letia, I don't pray to Jesus Christ, but I'll pray for these people anyway... in my own way.

I've been very hermity lately as well. Touchy too, and very into not having my personal space invaded. I'm feeling real useless on the home improvement front. Cleaning the kitchen is like running a marathon. Good thing DH rules! Although today I asked him if my faced looked fat, and he started cracking up! He said I had a funny expression. I told him I hope he enjoyed our "dance" the other night, cus with reactions like those, it's gonna be another 5 months (totally joking with him)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page