okay, question...35 weeks, measuring 38...home birth still an option? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, all.
the baby apparently is measuring at 38 weeks plus a couple of days (that was a couple of days before i was 35 weeks). baby estimated to weigh 7# 3 oz now.

am i likely to go early, or just have a big baby? can i still do home birth?

i do not have GD.

thanks, sigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 10:36 AM

There could be other factors causing you to measure ahead, like polyhydromous (extra amniotic fluid). The baby could also be floating higher causing the uterus to stretch. Or if this is not your first child, your uterus might just "give" a little more. Even if the baby is on the big side, I've had 2 friends of mine birth 11 lb + babies at home. So hopefully, your birth will go smoothly no matter the size.
#3 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi;

One measurement cannot tell you if you are measuring big. Most care providers would say that normal at 35 weeks is to measure 33-37 cms, and not until you are more than 3 cms difference, on consecutive visits, are you outside of normal.

Measurement doesn't always equal size of baby. I measured just 1 cm over with my 10+ lb baby, and 2 cm under for my 8.5 lb baby!

You are probbably not more likely to birth early based on size alone. Measuring large can be your caregiver's mismeasurement, lots of fluid, a baby high in the pelvis, and just plan normal for you. Fundal height measurement is just one tool in confirming normal, or exploring other possibilities, and is not super-accurate in detecting abnormal, but is not particularly obtrusive and can pick up growth differences.

As for ruling out a homebirth, that is something you need to explore further with your care provider. I assume more measurements and palpations will be done, and you can discuss with your care provider what is found, what his/her thoughts are, what your thoughts are, and come up with a plan. But automatically? Not in my books-- just another consideration in the whole picture.

Carolynn
#4 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 12:14 PM

I agree with what the others have said...I measured consecutively 2 cms ahead with my Dd and assumed that it was just how my body carried her. She arrived right on time and was 7lbs 11 oz BTW...pretty average. I also have a friend who had a 10lb 7 oz baby, her second...after her 6lb 14 oz first! and it was a complete surprize to everyone. So, sorry but I think you will just have to wait and see I don't think I've ever heard of measuring ahead interfering with a HB.
#5 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your replies so far!

the measurements of fundal height actually have been on the *low* side (but within 3 cm). the measurements i refer to were by the u/s tech. the circumference of the baby's head was at 39 weeks, the abdomen at 38 and femur at 35. i did measure a week ahead at the first u/s too, so i guess it's just gotten bigger? the averaged combination of the measures was 38 weeks.

i did a bit of reading and i am still at lower risk for interventions and problems if i birth at home, as long as the midwife is competent (she is ) the cascade of interventions starts in hospital.

i guess it's a wait and see thing.
#6 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
late term u/s are soooooooo innaccurate. they have a margin of error of weeks and/or lbs.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#7 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 03:09 PM

Oh I see! Well in that case, yeah I agree with Homemademomma, late u/s can be even a lb off in either direction and they aren't relialble for dating...even for your previous one it is considered normal to be off a week, again in either direction.

At 12 weeks I had a dating u/s and measured a week ahead...even though it's most accurate for dating up until 14 weeks, my midwife decided not to change the date, she said she normally changes only if it is over 7 days and mine was right on the border. At my 20 week, baby still measured ahead but this time only by 1/2 a week. Anyway, just giving you my perpective, not that it necessarily helps you IMO I'd put my bets on a bigger baby rather than an early one...not scary big or anything but that's just my guess, who knows? I'll be interested to hear the rest of your story though....good luck

ETA- genetics, genetics, genetics! Baby's just come in such different sizes, as do adults
#8 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 03:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all. My midwife said her average baby size for homebirth is over 9 pounds. There was even a 13 pounder once! (This might have something to do with her "no prenatal weigh-ins" policy. )You might try posting this question in the homebirth forum where all the midwives can answer it. They will most likely tell you that ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate. And even if the baby IS big, it doesn't matter so much.
#9 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 03:28 PM

I can totally vouch for late term u/s's being waaay off. We had a biophysical profile done when I was pg with ds the day before he was born. I was 41 weeks and by their calculations, he was only measuring 35 weeks gestational age and they were estimating him between 5 1/2-6 lbs. Well, just 16 hours later, I gave birth to a healthy 8 pounder. I'd say they were just a tad bit off.
#10 of 10 Old 09-02-2004, 04:01 PM

:LOL Soogie, I love to hear stories like that! It would have been fun to laugh in thier faces! Although Oakley has been estimated at 4lbs 11oz and I want to believe it, cuz it sure feels like he is hehe

And you know what, small vent here...I already brought up genetics anyway...but what does size really mean anyway! My Dd was 7/11 as I said, and a good friend of mine's son was 7/12, right? But now what if I told you I am 5'2" and she is 5'9"...does that change things...so now it looks like I had a big baby and she had a small one! And also some babies might be 19.5" and some 22", so they can be 9lbs and chubby or 9lbs and scrawny! IMO, length and weight don't matter so much anyway, it's the headsize that matters when it boils down to it...and I don't think it is likely that our bodies will produce a head that won't fit through our individual pelvis! Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a really good read and she talks about moms many moms who were told that they couldn't deliver a baby that was too big go on to deliver a baby sometimes a lb bigger the next time!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page