Mothering Forum banner

Week of September 20 - the Home Stretch!

13K views 188 replies 30 participants last post by  blessed2bamommie 
#1 ·
October Mamas Roll Call

momtol&a
Yoga mama
snugglebutter 10/01
mirthfulmum 10/03 BOY! Harrison Eliot Smith
*prediction: last week of Sept, 8 hrs labour*
TracyK 10/04
mhurst 10/04
kraftykathy 10/04 *prediction: Oct 4, short labour, girl*
Jillerina 10/04 *prediction: Oct 6, 6 hrs labour*
water 10/06
KateMary 10/06 *Ruby Ava born 09/25*
Proudly AP 10/08
MamaEmerald 10/08
nikwik 10/8 GIRL!
mayasmama 10/08 GIRL!
FutureMama 10/09 BOY! Miles Rocket
bluehalo 10/10 BOY! Noah Daniel
allformyboys 10/11
Lucysmama 10/12 *prediction: girl, Oct 8, 16 hrs labour*
bendmom 10/12
ashleepurdie 10/12 *prediction: boy, 12 hours easy labour*
momadance 10/13 BOY! Gabriel Reed...? or will it be Zappa?

*prediction: Oct 23rd*
Mandi 10/14
rhemp 10/14
wannabmommie 10/15
MTBto5 10/15
krnflwr 10/16 GIRL! Emma Grace *prediction: Oct 16th, 10 hours labour*
gmvh 10/16 *Twins! Owen and Gwynnen born 10/25*
Piglet68 10/18 BOY! Sasha Adam scheduled cesarian October 8
MommyMuse 10/19
JenDoula 10/19
BeansMomma 10/20 GIRL!
Mom2Lily 10/20
CourtneyandLogan 10/21 BOY! Zander Julian
*prediction: Oct 18 or 28*
OakEmber 10/21 BOY! Oakley Kai
*prediction: Oct 6 - 10, 6 hours labour*
mtnjenny 10/22
Ekatherina 10/22
Stanleymama 10/23 BOY! *prediction: Oct 18, short easy labour*
gottaknit 10/24 *prediction: Oct 31 - Nov 4, > 9 lbs*
3boyz4us 10/24 *expected Oct 22*
Ctmom70 10/24 BOY! Alex Richard
*prediction: Oct 14, 5 hrs labour*
Kim22 10/24 BOY!
aspiring mama 10/25
sunshinegal 10/25 Fiona
AngelBee 10/25 BOY! Angelo Richard
truebluexf 10/27 *prediction: Oct 11, 8 hrs labour, boy*
Soogie 10/27 *prediction: Oct 27 or 28*
ameliabedelia 10/29 GIRL! Greta Marie
*prediction: Oct 17, 10 hrs labour*
flitters 10/30
BeauGeek 10/30
AnnR33 10/31
guinnessinu 10/31 TWINS! BOY! and BOY!
BlueMoonTime 10/31 GIRL! Alexis

Morning Ladies! Well, for those of us on the West Coast it's still morning, lol. Nice to be back doing the weekly thread and keeping up with y'all a bit better.

Question of the Week: Okay, we're going to get a bit risque here, lol...has the love life pretty much gone into hibernation and, if so, how well do you think your partner is going to handle it?

DH hasn't seen any action in at least a couple months now, and knows the dry spell won't be lifting any time soon. I know he misses the intimacy, heck we barely get a chance to cuddle, what with my 6 pillows forming a wall around me, and DD occupying what little of my body is still accessable, lol. I'm lucky that DH tolerates it all well. He does understand, and he's crazy enough about being a papa that he feels it's all worth it. I feel bad for him (I think he misses it more than I do), but also feel blessed that he's so easygoing and understanding. I would not want to deal with that sort of pressure at this time!

So, I'm 36 weeks! today. The house is finally starting to look like a home, basically just have the kids' room to tackle (thanks for the tip about putting a dust cover over the diapers, whoever that was!). I also feel like I'm suddenly short on things like onesies, etc...so I think I'll be devoting this week to taking a true inventory of clothes, blankets, etc and doing some final shopping.

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctmom70
Is anyone here going to VBAC? I have been at the VBAC forum but still just wondering if any one here is going to have one? I'm going for it and of course I'm a little nervous.
This will be my second vbac...praying it goes as well as the first. I will be thinking of you. Just remember that the percentage of anything going wrong is like 1%, so there is nothing to fear. You are going to be just fine

#28 ·
34 weeks 4 days

Let's see, question of the week. We have pretty much maintained our regular frequency of intimacy, which is about once a week to once every week and a half. It is harder to maneuver and all, but still good. As far as resumption after the baby is born goes, I think we started at about 4 weeks, but pretty much only did it about twice/month for the first several months.

Last pregnancy we did it much less than we do with this one. I do think last time dh was more "scared" by the baby being there. However, after having a baby, and realizing that it is ok to do it with the baby sleeping in the same room or whatever he got over that, so this time it hasn't been a problem at all. So, I *think* we will probably try to maintain our regular frequency after the baby is born once we do resume intercourse. I think we just so much more comfortable with babies now and our roles as parents and lovers.

So OakEmber, I hope Ina May is right with her theory. I guess we are testing it out as well

As far as dreams go, I haven't really had any dreams lately. I don't have an ex's to dream about, so no ex-dreams.
But, I haven't really had any to speak of lately whatsoever. I think I have just been to tired, no time to dream.

Karin, I totally know how you feel about toddlers and their "two-ness"
s. Mine is driving me crazy as well and my patience level is practically nil. It really makes me wonder how I am going to function with two kids, especially how I am going to be able to go anyplace.

Katie, "Fingers Beck" is funny, it reminds me of some old-fashioned pickpocket that the Hardy Boys would capture in one of their mysteries.

mirthfulmom, congrats on getting all ready. Won't be long now!!

#30 ·
Hi Mamas,

I got online to check the forecast for today because...it's snowing! That's what we get for living at 8500 feet. It'll be my first snowy commute down the canyon for the season. It's so exciting, I love when the weather changes.
Not that it won't be 75 degrees again in two days. It's supposed to snow all day, so I'm looking forward to coming home and starting up the fire! My poor gardens, I've been so obsessed with them.

Anyhoo, couldn't help but check in quickly.

I just have to say, Katie, that I love the name Fingers Beck! That is a d*** cool name! Kids in my class are coming up with name like Olivia and Lionel...

Start my weekly OB appointments today...does it seem a bit over the top to any of you to have to go in weekly when things are going smoothly? I guess it's necessary.

I was feeling all sorry for myself 'cause no one was having a shower for me (all my very best girlfriends are in the midwest,) but I just found out they're having one for me at school. Warm fuzzies...they're all pitching in to buy us a nice heavy-duty jogger for our bumpy dirt road :LOL

Action? Not so much. A little here and there, but I'm determined to get goin' now that things are getting close...

Have a great week! Take care of yourselves! Is anyone else feelin' extra doses of mama love for just about everything and everyone right now? I'm a goof. My pets are in heaven...

#31 ·
Court - If I ever get my pictures up at the yahoo group, I'll add a pumpkin pic for you, okay?
Also, my husband almost fainted when my son was born! It's almost funny to think of him going from that to catching this baby. But I think he had a case of 'white coat anxiety'. I'm sure it will be so much better at home for this reason. My boy was born 20 minutes after we got to the hospital so all the rushing around felt so intense to him (It felt fine to me, though) I think that's why he felt so faint.
Katie - What cute names! Your daughter is so funny! My boy wanted to call our baby Sandfish! I have no idea why he would want to call a baby that. Or how he came up with such a name. He was so insistant though until I offered to call him Sandfish as a nickname. For some reason he didn't want that, lol!

Kathy

#32 ·
Hey, did you guys see this, it was in the Mothering.com weekly newsletter:
"Honorable Mentions
Senior Member of the Week: Piglet68 with 7043 "Post Doctoral Mama" posts!!"
How cool, you are famous now, Piglet!

So, we spent last night in the emergency room at our local hospital. (how fun, I know, you are all envious) I came home from my relaxing prenatal massage to Hannah's face at the front window, wailing so loudly it was echoing through the neighborhood, and when I asked her what was wrong, she screeched "pumpkin seed in my nose!". A spicy tamari black pepper pumpkin seed, to be exact.
She was actually quite cooperative in the effort to extract the little seed, but it was just way too far up there for me to get it out. So we headed to the local ER and sat in the waiting room, and waited and waited and waited... Amazingly enough, just as they were about to call us to see the doc, Hannah let out a huge sneeze and "pop", out came the offending seed. Crisis averted, we left and went home. Well, went for ice cream and then headed home.

This was our very first trip to the ER with Hannah, and I feel pretty lucky to have made it this long w/o some sort of major trauma. We got to hear everyone's stories about what weird things they (or a family member) inserted into various orifices. People in waiting rooms will tell complete strangers the weirdest things, I tell you. Some of it was def TMI, but at least it kept the wait rather interesting.
Anyway, wanted to share the adventures of our exciting night. Hope everyone else had a calm and relaxing evening, with lots of comfy sleep!

#33 ·
Oh Karin...sorry to hear about Hannah's trip to the ER. At least a good sneeze got it out before it had to be extracted. We had the same lovely experience with Fiona, except her orifice stuffing device was a rock. It took 4 nurses, the doc, and me, to hold her down. She was a mess and of course mama was a puddle. Let's hope it's the last trip for you all.

well, I'm back amongst the living. The entire family came down with the stomach virus that Fiona had last week and I was the last one to be "blessed" on Sunday night. I have never been so sick before in my life. I was literally wishing I was in labor and not puking my guts out. At least with labor you get a break in between...with this nasty virus I felt like I was going to die for about 10 hours. And of course, Damian is out of town all week, so I was on my own with the kids yesterday, feeling like crud. At least they were really well behaved yesterday and let mama just lounge on the couch while they played. Today I'm feeling much better and go figure, the kids have been on each other's cases all morning. Maybe I need to be sick again, just so they'll get along?!?! somedays I just dont know what to dow with them and how to cool down the rivalry. Does anybody else have any experience with this?? some days they absolutely adore each other and then there are days, like today, that all I hear is bickering. It's driving me batty.

Anyway, on to the question of the day. We've been keeping up with our fairly active "romantic interludes," probably 3-4 times a week. Sometimes more if we have a really good weekend. LOL! It's getting more and more comical as the weeks progress and I "particpate" less. Just not as limber and graceful with a big ole belly. But DH doesn't seem to mind. And for us, there wasn't a big lag time after birth to when we started resuming things, 3 weeks with ds, and 2 weeks with dd. Though we certainly didn't have a lot of frequency. And Amie, my babes were both late by a week, and we were quite active. I'm a debunker to Ina May's theory though it doesn't hurt to try!

Off to get my car an oil change..yeehaw! Catch ya gals later.

#34 ·
QOTW- Ummm... my poor DH has not seen much action in a while. I don't have much of a drive to begin with but it is just so hard to sit and walk never mind get that active
! He has been such a good sport about it. I feel like I owe him. I am planning on making it up to him post partum.

The moms of our local homeschooling group threw me a shower this weekend! A total surprise to me. Both my kids knew all week and didn't squeel. It being my third I didn't expect a shower, but it was so much fun to oooh and aaah over all the little things. And they all chipped in for 16 weeks of diaper service!! Ye Ha! My ds asked me if they come in and change the baby's diaper too. Don't I wish
I've never had diaper service before so this will be a treat. My DH said if it isn't too expensive we may just extend it.

Soogie- you poor thing! to be that sick this far along in your pg- I am glad you are feeling better now

4 more weeks of work left
I hope I make it.

#35 ·
Holy cow! 3-4 times a week Soogie! You must have some serious energy saved up somewhere. I just don't think I could get into it that often. I know what you mean about participating less and less. There's not a whole lot that I do. I'm so glad you're feeling better and that at least your kids were calm while you were sick. Man, that must've been painful to be that sick.

Karin - glad the seed dislodged w/out you having to pay for an ER visit and deal w/ an extraction. Sounds like an interesting time though, with all the waiting room stories.

Amie- thanks for saying we're cute
Logan has had a growth spurt or something, we just can't believe how tall he is. And I don't want sympathy about feeling fat, I was just saying that luckily that's my only complaint these days
. I guess if you gain 40 pounds in 8 months, you're bound to feel fat though.

And Jenny, snow! Aww, I'm so jealous. Logan asks me to make it snow almost every day - it's his favorite food.
Enjoy your fire later, that sounds so nice. And yes, I think the weekly appointments can be a bit much. My m/w has adjusted our spacing according to how I'm doing, so we didn't start the weeklies as soon as an OB would, which is nice.

Also- yeah, I'm feeling the mama love too- I'm totally "spoiling" ds right now. My midwife mentioned that too-that we have all these nurturing, maternal feelings right now and we tend to give them to our kids or pets in your case. I've been a total sap when it comes to my ds lately, and he's lovin' all the extra cuddling and attention.

#36 ·
Oh no Karin-ER visits are never fun but I had to laugh about the sneeze. I'm glad she was OK! It reminds me when my bro was little he was writhing around in pain from his stomach and my mom didn't know what to do so she took him to the ER-they couldn't get any info out of him and after they sat in the waiting rm forever he let out a huge burp and was fine! LOL Apparently he and his buddy ate a ton of sour green apples off the neighbors tree.....he he

Soogie-that totally sucks about being sick-what a terrible time to have to deal with that! Glad you're feeling better! Andit always happens when DH is gone-how is that

MtnJenny-you be careful driving in that snow! But enjoy the scenery-I bet it's beautiful!

About kids coming up with names-my son wanted to name the babe "Birdie" for the longest time-then it was "Charlie" for a while and now it's "Power Ranger"-and he's never even seen the dumb show! We still aren't close to agreeing on a name either-aarrgg!
Ann

#37 ·
Wow, lots of stories today!! Soogie, I'm glad you are feeling better and so sorry you had to go through that! Katie, loving the baby names LOL! And snow!! Wow!! I guess I finally get to start seeing that again next year when we transfer to NY.

Saw the midwife today, and wow baby dropped big time! Instead of measuring 2 cm bigger this week, I was 1 cm less! Which is funny, bc I was just saying to DH last night that I seem to have this perfect little ball belly -- I guess that can be attributed to the drop.
MW says she really expects this baby sooner rather than later....so excited!! Normally I wouldn't be excited to get a baby out early, but I am so ready this time. Well sort of. I still don't know what I am going to do with 2 kids, that part's kinda scary. But my 37 week goal is Oct 6, and that is only 2 weeks from tomorrow, I am SO EXCITED!! And at 36 weeks I can resume normal activities.
Though we are putting off sex til a little later in that week just to be on the safe side. I check my own cervix, and I think I am even dilated a bit more now, closer to 2cm than 1. My home visit is on Monday (my birthday!) so that's exciting too.

#38 ·
Karin - Sorry, your story made me giggle. I am glad to see though that the story had a happy ending. Lately we've had to keep a close eye on Alias when he eats raisins. For some reason he seems to be dedicated to trying to figure out how to get a raisin up his nose. He's been unsuccessful so far but we know it's only a matter of time. Once that boy gets an idea in his head he won't let it go. He comes by it honestly though, Dh is the exact same way.

Susan -
Way to go! 8 months pregnant, 2 kids and you and your Dh still manage 3 to 4 times a week! You truly are one hot momma!

MtnJenny - Snow! And it's only the first day of Autum. Glad you are happy about it. Personally as a west coaster, 2 blocks away from the beach, I would probably freak to have snow on the ground so early.

Well we're off to the midwife today. Dh took the day off work, actually he's taking every Tuesday off until the big day so that he can come to the rest of the midwife appointments. I actually like having the weekly appointments. It makes it all so real for me that our little babe is on his way.

#39 ·
hi mamas!

wow, lots going on so far this week for everyone! glad to hear that the babies are still cooking and all else seems to be working out well!

i'm going to be quick cause work is still insanely busy for me. only 9 days (including today) left before i go on maternity leave! WOW!

QOTW: we've been doing the once a week sex thing for most of pregnancy, which is a pretty major reduction for us. i just have way less drive than i normally do. i think maybe once i have more time at home things will pick up which is good since i'll be closer to full term then anyway.

i felt my cervix the other day and i don't think it's dialated at all but it is feeling shorter. the other exciting this is that i could feel the head through it which was really bizarre. i told dh about this and he kind of got squirmy for the first time this pregnancy. it wasn't until the midwife confirmed this is normal and i didn't do anything wrong that he relaxed but he was rather reluctant to have sex afterwards. i told him it would be fine, so he gave it a try and was relieved not to hit anything hard on the inside. it is sort of weird how that works since what he is putting inside of me is quite a bit larger than my finger, but i guess the angle really is different.

anyway, back to work for me. all the best to everyone!

#41 ·
UHHHHHH I just lost the novel I typed!

Ok well, word on the street is that today is national free ice cream cone day at Dairy Queen! Miles and I will be hitting DQ shortly

Last night I slept maybe and hour, Miles was all up on my side, I kept fluctuating between HOT, and freezing, had heartburn and then had a bad dream about my sis.... SO... I'll be having some coffee

MIL story ahead~ So when we clued MIL in about our HB she was super supportive and complimentary, a few days later she called with some questions that were borderline offensive because they were so stupid. Last night she was on the phone with Dh and knew I was sitting next to him on the couch. She asked him if it would be ok with me for her to attend one of my pre-natals with me. She said she has some questions for MY mw. Well, I said NO. !st of all, if you have questions ask me, 2nd ask me if you can some with me directly. We are really hoping baby decides to come while my sis is in town, or while my friend isn't away on vacation, and MIL is just going to have to be out of the loop. SHe began asking to attend the birth when she first found out I was preg. and that kinda bothered me on some level, and now this is really nagging at me... Her only role would be to support MIles, so I don't know what she's thinking.... UHHHHHHH MIL's! Or gee mom's period! Mine won't come down until after baby comes because HB is "stupid"

How nice to have such motherly support!

oh and it looks like my belly cast needs some reinforcement. I guess when I was afraid of passing out and got up, it hadn't completely set, and could have definately used another layer!

#42 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysmama
37 weeks - full term!!!!

She was also in a very bad position and could not engage, so those hours I spent laboring on a large amount of Pit did nothing but ram her into the side of my pelvis. Poor baby was born with an enormous lump on the side of her head.

So was my daughter!! I didn't take anything for the pain and was so determined that I was going to labor naturally. My water broke, dialated to 10 everything was moving along but she was positioned wrong. I had nothing but back labor and should of said something.
Sounds like your nesting and going to be going very soon!!! Good Luck with your homebirth. I can't wait to read your birth story! I'm going to be at a hospital using a tub....I'm really looking forward to that part. I would love for my son to come into this world naturally.

#43 ·
38 weeks, 1 day

I don't know what is the matter with me. I've sat at the computer several times since yesterday morning and have just felt too overwhelmed to post! Its not that I have much to say but I just have this weird feeling coming over me. Anyway, here I am in an attempt to get over it!

Spent most of the weekend organizing and socializing. Not a bad combo really. Baby's stuff if pretty much all clean and put away, dressers have been reorganized as has the diaper storage area. I've packed my bag for the birth and I'm feeling pretty ready for the baby. Of course, as soon as I say that (or type it) I get that strange overwhelmed feeling all over again

QOTW: DH and I have a pretty pathetic sex life right now. We've hardley DTD since July! He is the one who is resisting... during my last pg I bled alot and always after sex so Dh is basically freaked out. The truth is, we don't have particularly high libidos even when not pregnant so this is not particularly hard for him to take. I can't beleive some of you mama's getting some 3 times a week!!! In fact, I've been trying to initiate sex lately and DH is always the one turning me down - says I just want to use him for his cervical softening sperm (ok, it is true). Anyway, I'll keep trying. I probably need to get some porn or something to get him in the mood - last time we had sex it was after he'd been to a stag and a strip club!!!

OK, gotta go. dinner is almost ready. I have to admit, I'm kinda surprised that we've only had one October birth already. I'd say that's pretty good. I saw a woman today that was due 2 weeks after me and she had her baby at 33weeks. He's fine, just tiny.

#44 ·
Ok, ? Is the cervical discharge similar looking to a yeast discharge? I can't quite remember, but as far as I can tell have no symptoms of a yeast infection. Twice so far I have found discharge when you going to the bathroom. Sorry if tmi..just curious if my cervix is thinning out on me all of a sudden.

#45 ·
Sex what's that?!
My poor DH has been wanting it so much and I've been either too tired or sore to even think about it. I swear at the end of the day I fell like I've given birth I am so sore. Now we are both sick. I'm getting better and he is just starting to get sick so hopefully once he is feeling better we can start the ripening of the cervix.

After DS was born I had the worst problems w/ dryness and the new practice I was at were giving me creams left and right and I wound up with a yeast infection that they never even thought to check for. Thankfully I switched practices and the new ob checked for that right away. So needless to say our sex life was pretty non-existent because I was in so much pain.

Hopefully it will be better this time around. Who knows if this baby will be the uber nurser that Liam was. It used to be his favorite pastime. I miss it but I'm glad he made the choice. Any tips for nursing in a sling? A maya wrap to be specific. I had the hardest time nursing in a nojo sling and want to be able to do it in my maya.

Take Care everyone!
Carrie

#46 ·
I think I just lost part of my plug...?

I was going to the bathroom and found a bunch of what looked like eggwhite cervical fluid....very stretchy (I could stretch it maybe 3" between fingers) and some little small globs in it. Does that sound like your plug? I don't know, last time I passed the whole giant thing intact. I am also having contractions about every 15-20 minutes. I don't think I am in early labor, but I think the baby is close....I could barely walk today from the discomfort.

Sorry if that is all TMI, but we are going to read each other's birth stories soon, so we better get used to reading some graphic stuff.

#47 ·
Ooooh Katie that does sound like the plug. I never lost a big glob last time, but I went to the bathroom and there was globby sticky mucous - still clear, just really thick. I had Mickade about a week later.
Sounds like things are falling into place for you!!

#48 ·
Woohoo Katie! Sounds like you may be next!

I just asked my midwife about "the plug" on Sunday, since this is my first time and I don't know what to look for.... and she said it looks like "a big glob of snot" and can come out all at once or in parts over several days.....

So how are those contractions going? This is so exciting!!!

#49 ·
Yeah, watch me go to 43 weeks! That'd teach me to get all worked up over a little mucous! :LOL It really wasn't very much. When I had my dd, it was like a giant slug made out of rubber cement. That's what it looked like to me. This looks like some eggwhite fluid with some little pieces of clear jelly.

#50 ·
whoo hoo, let's have some babies! Okay, maybe wait one more week....I had a dream a couple weeks ago that it was either Lucysmama or Jillerina to have the first babies (out of us "regulars").

p.s. I don't think we need to worry about saying "TMI" anymore- I think we've shared everything there is at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.