October Babies!! Our Birth Stories and Announcements - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i read the story, kathy and cried and cried and dh came and said why are u crying was there something wrong in the story??? i said nooooooooo...but it's so wonderful and touching....
your remarks about ur dh are very touching too...i suddenly thought that my dh is also very wonderful and that i was such a mess last days...so moody...so I started crying over that also...

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#62 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 07:58 AM

That was a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing.

I went from 6 cm to pushing in 2 contractions when they broke my water as well, so I know what that is like!

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#63 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 10:10 AM

Wow! What a beautiful birth story. Thank you for tkaing the time to post the whole thing. It was worth the wait. Just amazing! What a great Hubby you have! Congrats!!
#64 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 01:32 PM

KraftyKathy, thank you for your story. I love getting everyone's impressions of birth - it really is such a personal experience. And Mirthful, I don't think i ever responded to your story - but I enjoyed reading it too. I'm off to post mine now as well
#65 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 01:48 PM

Kraftykathy- oh I am just bawling my eyes out!!!! What an absolutey beautiful birth, it reminded me so much of my ds birth. The kids just came in and saw me crying and thought I might have gone into labor!! Thank you for sharing. Congratulations!

Stacey- WOHM and wife to Jesse- : Athena , Huckleberry : Fiona : Shillelagh : and Calliope
#66 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 01:54 PM

Leo was due on October 4th. On that day I met with my midwife Catherine and consented to an internal exam as part of the check up. I was so excited by the result – 3-4cm dilated and 70% effaced! This baby could come any time! I left the office with my spirits soaring, let me go to my book club this evening and then I'm ready to have my baby.

I'd been having Braxton Hicks contractions for a good 2 weeks before my due date (probably what got me to 3cm dilated) but they always started in the early evening and petered out overnight. By Wednesday the 6th I was starting to loose my cool attitude, I wanted to meet my baby and I was tired and uncomfortable. Every night I went to bed hoping that the next day would be “the” day. My goal for this labor and delivery was simple; let my body do what it needs to do to bring my baby into this world naturally.

On Friday October 8th I spent the day with Clara playing at home and at the park. We had a good day together and I was feeling positive about things in general. Marc rented “Supersize Me” and we watched it Friday evening after Clara went to bed. It was during the movie that I had some contractions that seemed a little different from the usual Braxton Hicks I'd been experiencing. Of course by the end of the movie they had stopped so I attributed the pains I'd been feeling to gas. Went to bed and slept fairly well (for a 40 week pregnant woman).

I woke up on October 9th at 7:30am with a pain in my lower abdomen that felt like a gas pain. I went to the bathroom to see if I could relieve the discomfort but nothing really happened. I went back to bed but soon felt another pain. That is when I started to consider the fact that these were contractions and not gas pains. I woke up Marc at 7:45 and told him that I may be having real contractions but I just wasn't sure. Marc said "ok, I'll stay awake", I was so unsure of myself that I told him ”no, go back to sleep now in case I'm wrong”. At 8:00am I was still not sure what was going on but I decided I should get my Midwife's opinion so I called. I told her my contractions were not very long or very intense but I did think they were contractions. Catherine said, “ok, why don't you wait a little to see what is going on and call me back within the hour.” I called her back at about 9:00am and we quickly agreed it was time to go to the Maison de Naissance, my contractions had already become much more intense but were still only about 30 seconds long and about 5 minutes apart. Laura arrived soon after this decision was made so Marc called for a taxi.

The taxi ride was surprisingly all right. I had 3 contractions during the trip but with the window open and the cool air on my face they were quite manageable. Marc and I arrived at the Maison de Naissance at 9:30am and within minutes of our getting settled I felt like I needed to sit on the toilet (apparently my favorite place to labour). Catherine quickly checked me and said I was 6cm dilated so I headed to the bathroom. While there Catherine checked my temperature, took my blood pressure and checked the baby's heartbeat. Except for my slightly low blood pressure everything was just fine. Contractions quickly got more and more intense and closer together but I was able to moan, sway and wiggle to get through them. I remember feeling incredibly hot and Marc had to keep putting wet face cloths on my face and back. I don't know how long I stayed in the bathroom but as soon as I said something about an urge to push Catherine and Marc quickly shuffled me back to our room. I knew I had to stay in a sitting position so I tried the birthing stool (what a strange non-bench) and it was perfect. I labored with my eyes closed, moaning with each contraction. There was very little break between contractions but I could feel an obvious tightening and loosening. Catherine was getting ready for the birth at my feet but she kept telling me that everything was perfect and that I was doing fine. She told me over and over to follow my feelings and do whatever came naturally. The pain was intense and excruciating during this time and I was surprised to hear the sounds I made, very low and primal. With one contraction I all of a sudden found myself pushing, and once I started I just couldn’t stop! I grunted and pushed and soon felt a burning sensation that told me that the baby was crowning. Catherine may have told me that the head was coming but I knew by myself exactly what was about to happen. The midwives (Babette arrived just in time for the birth) were trying to get me to slow down and push bit by bit so as to preserve my perineum...at one point (before baby crowned) they asked me if I was even having a contraction and I remember saying “I don't know anymore!” I wasn't and was able to take a very short break from pushing between contractions. My bag of water still hadn’t broken so right before Leo crowned Catherine broke the bag so that he wasn't born in the caul. Marc thinks I only pushed about 4 times before Leo's head was out (his cord was loosely around his neck) but my sense of time was completely out of whack so I have no idea if this is true or not. I do know I got to feel Leo's head before I had the final contraction and pushed his body out (what a relief) into Catherine's hands. She handed Leo up to me and I held him to my chest...he was wet and purple with very little vernix at all and quiet and alert. He quickly turned pink and gave us a few quiet cries... it was like holding magic.

I moved to the bed and soon delivered the placenta. Everything was perfect, I kept repeating “you're here, you're here!” and at some point I realized I didn't know who this baby was – girl or boy. I asked Marc “do we know what it is?” and he said with a huge smile, “It's a BOY!” It took Leo about 2 minutes tops to start looking for the breast, and thankfully he seemed to know exactly what to do when he found it. After Leo nursed he went to snuggle skin to skin with Marc while Catherine gave me a few stitches for a very minor tear, apparently the speed with which Leo came into this world was more than my body was prepared for! While I was being stitched, Leo gave Marc a hickey on the shoulder!

About an hour and a half after he was born Catherine did Leo's newborn check up. Of course he was perfectly healthy and weighed a whopping 9 pounds 9 ounces! He was 21 inches long which came as a surprise to Marc and I since his legs looked much shorter than Clara's had seemed at birth (we think). After the check Catherine showed us Leo's placenta and uterine sack – she said it was a beautiful example of a very healthy organ! It was fascinating to see the thing that had connected us for so long.

After the checks were finished Marc, Leo and I settled in for some much needed rest. Our post natal aid, Sylvie was just lovely - she brought Marc coffee, some fruit and juice for me and checked on us periodically throughout the afternoon in the most unobtrusive way. Leo came home to meet his big sister that night at 8pm – what a surreal experience I hugged and kissed two sweet babies and they were both MINE!!!

Postscript to Leo's birth
As I wrote before, my goal for this birth was to allow my body to do whatever it needed to birth my baby. I wanted to know how I birth babies. Looking back on the experience I feel completely fulfilled, Leo was born when he wanted and how I wanted. I was able to move freely during labour and simply follow my instincts. Other than a few very quiet suggestions from the midwives I successfully looked inward for the strength I needed. I have to admit, the sense of empowerment I've experienced as a result of Leo's birth is beyond anything I ever could have expected – I feel like I can do ANYTHING!!!
#67 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 02:16 PM

Wonderful story, Laurel! Awesome job, mama! "It was like holding magic." Awwwww, that really got me! Welcome, baby Leo! I am so glad your birth was so empowering.
#68 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 05:18 PM

Kathy and Laurel, your stories are so touching, each so unique. Having never given birth, I often wonder how I'll get through it all, how I'll respond to the intensity. Your personal experiences instill so much confidence in me - I know I'll be drawing on them during my own labor! Thanks and Congratulations!
#69 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 05:44 PM

What a wonderful birth story Laurel! Congratulations again!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#70 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33
I can't even see the keyboard since I'm bawling here! What a beautiful birth Kathy!
Same goes here - I'm crying and laughing and grinning all at the same time; DW thinks I'm nuts overe here. Congrats on the wonderful birth - and happy babymoon!
#71 of 156 Old 10-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Wow! Kathy and Laurel, you both inspired me to add to my story! Those are both absolutely beautiful stories! Congratulations!

And congrats, birth day buddy Mirthful! Also a great story!

Let's get some more babies ladies!
#72 of 156 Old 10-17-2004, 06:39 AM

thank you Jillerina so much for sharing your story.......it gave me much power already and just reminded me even more to "always trust my body and my baby"....

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#73 of 156 Old 10-17-2004, 01:50 PM

Jillerina Thanks for sharing the wonderful story of Leo's birth with us!! I am so happy for you that you had the wonderful, empowering you desired!
#74 of 156 Old 10-17-2004, 07:25 PM

am I the only one *not* in labor?

ordering some more flushable liners...
#75 of 156 Old 10-18-2004, 12:48 PM

Beautiful stories! I am loving reading about these magical birth experiences. Everyone's stories are so inspirational! I'm thinking of printing all of them up and passing them on to every pregnant woman I know and meet. Let them all read about the power and peace of birth. And help remove some of that fear so many people love to heap upon pregnant women.
#76 of 156 Old 10-18-2004, 06:51 PM

i'm catching up on the October threads, and will post a real birth story whenever i get it written. Willow's sleeping beside me right now, we just got home. she was born Friday just after midnight. only 5 lbs. 13 oz.! but 22" long, we call her Stretch. i labored for over 30 hours, i'm pretty fuzzy on the details but my doulas took notes so i'll figure it out the 4 of us worked as a team the whole time, there is NO way i could have done this without the support. we had so little intervention that i forgot i was in a hospital, the labor nurse i lucked into (on 2 separate shifts 12 hours apart no less) was incredible, she "mommied" me through a lot which i needed. i labored walking around, lunging, rocking on a birthing ball or rocking chair, or on all fours, except for 15 min. of EFM per hour. everyone at the hospital was great about me yelling and writhing, no one mentioned pain meds or pitocin! i chanted "om mani padme hum" one syllable with each breath during surges, ended up screaming each syllable, but it really worked. i finally asked for .5mg of stadol at 26 hours because my fibro and arthritis pain was killing me, i actually preferred the labor pain! i requested AROM some time after that and honestly felt like i was finally making progress helping Willow out. but i had been making backwards progress, my cervix was getting smaller and less effaced, and the baby never moved from -3 station i asked for another 1mg stadol before being prepped for surgery, because i got really angry about needing surgery and i lost my focus during contractions, and then they were horrible. i had a spinal which numbed everything but my left shoulder and i threw up a lot when they were sewing me up which was scary as hell, one of my doulas got to scrub up and stay with me while Pan went with Willow. turns out Willow had her cord wrapped twice around her neck and it was a short cord, so she was "yoyoing" and couldn't have come out. she never went in distress, the healthy little bugger! apgars 9/9 and so healthy. after AROM they all saw a lot of meconium, only showed me a little so i wouldn't freak out, i was so out of it just handling the surges. she didn't swallow even a drop of meconium though (cord wrap?).

Willow is a booby hound! she latched on and had a meal right away in the recovery room, and eats like a pig she only lost 5 oz. during our hospital stay! we roomed in other than a couple of short nursery trips when i was sick, they're incredibly pro-breastfeeding so no problems at all.

all in all i feel fantastic i had so much natural labor, i'm still high from it. it felt so powerful and beautiful, i kept laughing and saying "i love this!" i ended up in transition several times, which was intensely spiritual. but i'm still in shock and numb about the c-birth, i can't process that part yet.

peace,
meli

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#77 of 156 Old 10-18-2004, 07:38 PM

Wow Meli, it sounds like you did an AMAZING job!!! I can't believe you went soooooo far! It sounds like a powerful story and I'm glad you told what you could of it.
Congratulations to you and Pan and welcome Willow!!!!! I can't believe her weight and measurement. She sounds like a basketball player. Stretch - great nickname, lol!

Enjoy your little booby hound!

Kathy

kathy::
#78 of 156 Old 10-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Way to go Meli!!! Welcome to the world little Willow!
#79 of 156 Old 10-18-2004, 10:46 PM

wow Meli, It seems like a really hard delivery....you are such a couragous person!!!! Congratulations and Hppy birthday Willow!!!

#80 of 156 Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 PM

: :
nak
Congrats! Happy birthday Willow!

: :
#81 of 156 Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 AM

Meli- I am so glad to hear you say you are feeling fantastic! You really did do awesome Sounds like Willow is doing terrific too, I can't wait to hear more about your experience and of course see some pics of your beautiful daughter
#82 of 156 Old 10-19-2004, 12:16 AM

Congrats, Meli! Welcome, Willow! It sounds like you had an intense labor and birth, and you did an awesome job handling it! Your cesarean sounds very necessary - I wish you peace in the next part of your journey into motherhood!
#83 of 156 Old 10-19-2004, 02:44 AM

congratulations meli!!!

it sounds like you handled labor brilliantly!
willow is lucky to have such a strong mama!
best wishes for a gentle recovery.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#84 of 156 Old 10-19-2004, 08:30 AM

Congratulations Meli! I’m so happy for you! Sounds like you had a wonderful labor and a much needed cesarean! I’m in awe of how strong you are!!!
#85 of 156 Old 10-20-2004, 12:08 AM

Noah Daniel was born Monday, October 18th at 4:31 am. He weighed a surprising 8 lbs, 11 oz (my first DS was 6 lbs, 5 oz!), and is 22 inches long.

Labor started w/ my water breaking at about 2:45 on Sunday morning ... contractions started almost immediately, and I was surprised with how steady and close they were, even early on! Varying from 3-5 minutes apart, they were "intense" but bearable. My DH got home from a gig he played that night and went to bed so he could get some sleep for what was sure to be a long next day. I called my friend B., who is L&D nurse, and was going to be at a support person for me, as well as another friend, L. .

I puttered around the house, trying to take it easy but stay occupied. Contractions were to intense to try to sleep through, and I was too excited to get any sleep between them. B. came over when she finished her shift and we chatted, and she checked me. At this point it was probably around 7 am, and after 4 hours w/ pretty steady contrax., I was curious where I was. Dissapointed to discover that my cervix was still high, posterior, and closed But ... it was nice just to *know* ... so B. went home to get some rest and Kevin and Ethan eventually woke up.

I spent the morning hanging out with them, working through contractions which soon became really intense back pain. Sometimes counter pressure worked wonderfully, but sometimes nothing seemed to help the insensity of the discomfort in my back. Things kept steady in the same pattern, 3-5 minutes apart, but slowly the intensity increased, and in the early afternoon B. came back over to see how I had progressed. My cervix had thinned a lot, and I had actually dilated to two, almost three. It was a relief to hear that the 12 hours of contracting had finally done *something* at that point! Over the next few hours, the contractions continued to be really intense, but slowly seemed like they were spacing out. I spent some time trying to sleep between contractions to help build up energy for the rest of the work ahead of me, but it seemed to make things putter out even more. When I was checked next, my cervix had actually *regressed*, and I was back at around 2 cm.

At this point it was about 6 pm, I had been laboring for around 15 hours with my membranes ruptured from the start. I knew that if I wanted to preserve any chance of having a vaginal birth, we needed to get to the hospital with enough time to give Pitocin a chance to do it's work w/in the window that my doctor would allow (due to the broken membranes). We called my doc to let her know what was going on, and headed over.

I was upset that things weren't going exactly as I had hoped, but I tried to re-focus on my "new" goal of having a vaginal birth. Yes, a totally natural, non interventionist birth would be lovely and beautiful ... but I wanted to do everything in my power to preserve the opportunity for this baby to be born vaginally. So, I headed to the hospital with DH, my friend B., and met another friend L. there. We decided to go ahead and get an epidural ... I wanted to be sure that in case the baby didn't tolorate the pitocin well, I could have the C-section under epidural anesthesia instead of the general. By the time I got the epidural, I had been laboring for 18 hours with back labor ... I feel like I *should* feel badly ... but honestly it was a lovely relief. I felt like, with the epidural's relief, I'd be able to rest and rejeuvenate myself and get back to work.

Let's see ... I got the epi around 9 pm, and spent the next six hours trying the pit, the baby's heart rate to doing *great*, turning the pit off, my contractions petering out, trying the pit again but in a different position, again the baby's heart rate not being great, etc. etc. Initially my cervix was very responsive and I dilated to 5 quickly ... but since Noah wasn't doing wonderfully (he was never in distress, but the doc saw some signs that he wasn't totally happy with the whole pitocin thing...) she wasn't comfortable turning it up, and I never progressed beyond 5 cm. The last straw was just before 4 am I started running a temperature. Since my water had broken over 24 hours before, they were taking no chances w/ re: to infection in me or the baby ... combined with the lack of progress and Noah's sometimes questionable heart rate patterns ... it was time for the cesearean.

Since I already had the epi, prep. was quick and painless. The baby was out quickly, and Kevin hung out w/ him in the nursery while I was in recovery. I don't think we were seperated for more than 30 mintues, which I thought was wonderful!

So, all in all, it certainly wasn't my fantasy birth experience. But, I truly feel like we did the best we could with everything we could. We were treated fairly and respectfully, I never felt bullied or condescended to. I worked hard with my body for a really long time, and when the time came, I worked hard w/ my body and "technology" until safety became a concern. And as trite and cliche as it may be, I have a lovely, healthy baby, and our whole family is just in love with our new addition.

We spent one night in the hospital, and came home late this afternoon. I feel surprisingly comfortable after the surgery, and Noah is doing wonderfully. He's nursing non-stop, and just checking things out as life goes on around him. Big brother Ethan is thrilled that mom and "my new little brother" are home earlier than expected. He loves to kiss Noah, and is just so sweet and endearing, it's amazingly heartwarming. I didn't realize my heart could feel so full. For a very brief moment tonight all 4 of us were snuggled contentedly in bed, everyone asleep but me, and I just looked over at my 3 boys (counting DH there ) ... and I was just overwhelmed with how blessed I am.
#86 of 156 Old 10-20-2004, 12:25 AM

Christine- That was really touching, thanks for sharing I know that you really wanted to have a vaginal birth but everything you said is right on...and what's most important is that everyone is safe and happy! Your attitude is great, you are so positive! Sending lots of fast recovery vibes for your body, as it sounds like you don't need them spiritually or mentally
#87 of 156 Old 10-20-2004, 12:28 AM

Awwww, great story, Christine! You did an awesome job, mama! You sound very at peace with your birth and totally baby-blissed-out! Congrats and welcome, Baby Noah!
#88 of 156 Old 10-20-2004, 03:11 AM

Congratulations Christine-I'm so glad you could share your story so quickly and glad you're home with your "boys." I love the vision of them all sleeping with you looking on! You did a great job delivering your new babe-no matter what the exit !
Blessings,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#89 of 156 Old 10-20-2004, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

nak...way to go, christine!! i'm amazedyou got to go home so fast!! congrats and happy healing vibes to you!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#90 of 156 Old 10-20-2004, 12:57 PM

Wonderful story Christine. You sound happy and at peace with Noah's arrival. And as Ann wrote... you did a fantastic job birthing your son. The exit route he chose makes it no less of a triumph!

And I too just adore looking on as my 3 boys peacefully sleep away all snuggled in bed .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page