October Babies!! Our Birth Stories and Announcements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2004, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm posting this sticky so that us mamas can share our birth stories and announcements with each other. Yes, there is a Birth Stories forum but, as many have commented, we're such a close-knit group it's nice to have a place of our own. I think we decided that we would just host reports on this thread, and people can give their congratulations/comments in the regular weekly threads. That will keep the thread shorter and easier to read.

Can't wait to see who goes first!!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 03:16 PM

I saw the name of this thread and flipped out!!!!!!! I thought maybe someone had slipped one out! OMG where so close we have our birth stories thread ready and waiting...

Piglet's doing some online nesting LOL!
Old 09-25-2004, 02:30 AM

I just saw this thread too and was super excited! Can't wait to see who shows up here first!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:45 PM

Our precious jewel arrived on Sunday at 1:43 pm. She weighted 7 pounds 6 ounces and was 19.5 inches long. I was 39 weeks and 1 day (was due Oct 2nd).

DH and I had a really relaxing day on Saturday although I did do some nesting. I was surprised at the energy I had, it was the first day all month that I didn't need a nap. I skipped yoga and slept in (glad I ended up saving my energy). Then we did yard work and I did some cleaning and then went out to a nice dinner.

My water broke late Saturday night and I immediately called my parents so they could get a flight from San Francisco on Sunday morning. I tried to relax and had a really good sesion with my hypnobabies relaxation CD. I slept on and off through mild contractions in the night. They were not consistent at all until about 10 am when I got in the shower, that really seemed to speed things up. I could hardly get dressed after my shower, I was getting contractions really close together. We never bothered to time contractions, just knew we had to get to the hospital soon. DH was very calm throughout but said later that he thought we should be running out the door at that point. I had 3 contractions in the car and the hospital is only 15 minutes away!

When we got there, I was 10.5 inchs dilated. The nurses
couldn't believe how fast the labor progressed since this was my first baby. I did end up pushing for close to 2 hours though. The baby was crowned for over 20 minutes. I just kept looking at her little bit of dark brown hair in the mirror and thinking the next push would be the one but it was just not happening. I was not tearing at all and the OB was massaging and doing compressed but finally suggested an episiotomy. I never thought I'd have to go that route but I was really not getting her out on my own. She was born on the very next push after he did the episotomy.

Ruby was born perfectly healthy but I bled quite a bit and got a pitocin drip to stop it. The on call doctor had been up all night and never even got a chance to read my birth plan so he clamped the cord right away. That was the only part I was dissapointed about (besides the fact that my midwife and doula both missed the birth). Luckily the nurses on staff were very good and I felt positive about the whole thing eventhough it was not what I had planned at all. We didn't use all the music that I have spent months selecting and I didn't get to go in the jacuzzi at the hospital either!

My hypnobabies training was very useful but was not exactly painless as they say some women's labors can be. I think the idea that I would have a fast and easy birth was fully excepted by my subconcious and my mind allowed my body to relax and do its job in the most efficient way possible. Nobody could believe how quick it was for a first birth.

We are all doing great and glad to be back home and resting. Good luck to all of you birthing in the coming month!!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:29 AM

congratulations! I love the name Ruby! Good job mama!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:38 AM

What a beautiful name for your precious little girl! Congrats on doing such a good job birthing!
Just out of curiosity how long was your labor? You have such a nice birth story so calm and realxing.

Congrats again!

Carrie
Old 09-30-2004, 02:42 PM

:
Congratulations!!! And welcome baby Ruby!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:47 PM

Whoa, I didn't even notice this until it was mentioned on the other thread!!!

Congratulations!!!! Happy Birthday little Ruby!!! Beautiful birth story mama! Enjoy that sweet babe!

Kathy

kathy::
Old 09-30-2004, 03:42 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful birth experience you had.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations, KateMary... : much much good powers to you and ur baby

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
Old 10-04-2004, 12:57 AM

Congrats, mama! Change your signature!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:18 AM

Well I should start with Tuesday… I had had a midwife appointment at 11am and everything looked great. Harrison was engaged (hooray) and I asked them to do another stretch and sweep as I was feeling really anxious about having this little guy ASAP. I was so happy when around 2pm I started to have contractions. Nothing too painful but they were feeling pretty productive. I sat in the armchair in the living room reading for a bit and then thought that if I’m really going into labour I should lie down and have a nap. So I called my midwife to give her the heads up that we may be giving birth tonight and went to lie down. About 15 minutes later Alias joined me in bed and unfortunately having to turn on the mommy part of my brain caused the contractions to start to peter out. I went out for a walk in hopes that I could get something moving again but nothing. By about 5pm the contractions were back to feeling like BHs and had spaced out to a couple an hour. So I had to call the midwife to let her know to stand down and ended up feeling really grumpy and miserable the rest of the night. I had really thought that that was it.

Around 4:15am I woke up to a good contraction. Not wanting to get my hopes up I continued to just lay in bed and see were things went before I woke anyone up. So for about 2 hours I just lay in bed timing contractions. They felt productive and were coming about every 10 minutes or so. Around 6:30 am I decided that if this was really it I should get up take a shower and have something to eat. Took a nice long warm shower, had a bowl of Cheerios and a banana and then woke Dh up to tell him I thought I was in labour. The contractions were still about 10 minutes apart and weren’t really growing too much in intensity. Alias woke up around 7am and I turned over contraction monitoring to Dh so that I could get Alias some breakfast and go wake up my mom. The morning went pretty smoothly. Alias had breakfast and got dressed. I called my midwife to let her know that I was having contraction again. My mom started to make plans for a “big adventure” that she and Alias could embark on. And all four of us went out around 9am to just get a few snacks for the hospital and return some movies to the video store. I felt like a walk would help speed things up. I so hoped this was it. Got home a little before 10am and still my contractions were fairly erratic in intensity and spacing, ranging from anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.

My midwife called to see how we were doing as she had a home visit she was just finishing up and wanted to know if she had time to go to her home and have a meal. Dh let her know about the contractions and I let her know that Alias and my mom would be leaving in a few minutes to go have a special fun day together. My midwife said that things sounded good and that my contractions would probably get “cracking” once my mom and Alias left home. So I got Alias’ back pack all geared up with diapers and snacks and a bit after 10:30am mom and Alias had set off.

I was feeling pretty hungry so Dh made me a bagel and cream cheese and a big glass of apple juice and I settled myself on the couch to relax and watch a movie. Well it didn’t take long for things to really start moving. By 11 my contractions were strong and painful and rapidly moving to 5 minutes apart. Dh called the midwife and she told him she’d get her stuff and come right over (lucky for me she only lives a few blocks away). The midwife arrived a bit before 11:30am did a check and told me I was 9cm dilated and that we should probably head off to the hospital.

I should pause here for a minute and let you now that the night before my midwife had told me that St. Paul’s, the hospital I was to deliver at had had a burst water pipe in their maternity ward and half of their birthing rooms were closed. So if St. Paul’s was full then we’d have to be sent to BC Women’s hospital to give birth. We talked about it a bit, I have nothing against BC Women’s, but I decided that I really didn’t want to go to BC Women’s (it’s a 20 minute drive, and their birthing rooms are very medical, and they only have a few single occupancy rooms and I really didn’t want to share a recovery room…) so Dh and I said that if couldn’t get into St. Paul’s we’d just stay home for the birth. Back to the actual birth…

We’re getting ready to leave for the hospital and it’s just about noon, the midwife calls ahead and they have one room left so my midwife tells them to hold it for us ‘cause we’re on our way. I stand up to get my pants on and all of a sudden I’m just hit with a major contraction and I realize that I am NOT going anywhere! Dh calls my mom on the call phone to tell her not to come home anytime soon as we’re doing a home birth. My midwife calls the student midwife, who we’d invited to the birth to let her know to come on over and she also calls her partner, the other midwife I’d been meeting with, to see if she was free to also attend. I don’t know how everyone got here so fast but within 10 minutes I am pushing through great strong contractions and I have 3 midwives cheering me on. Dh is being a fabulous coach helping me relax and focusing my breathing and making sure I’m getting fluids. It all happened so fast. I was having contraction after contraction and I could really feel that with every push I was really making progress. Around 12:30 Harrison was crowning and by 12:40 I had my little man in my arms. It was amazing. I was so stunned at how fast everything went. There was no way I would have made it to the hospital.

Harrison was so beautiful and came out crying. He then promptly pooped and peed on me and the midwife so we knew right away that all systems were a go with this little guy. Harrison was nursing with a couple of hours like an old pro and Dh and I had another perfect little boy join our family.

Alias and my mom returned home a bit after 3pm and Alias was so thrilled and excited to meet his new brother. For the rest of the evening he showed Harrison almost everyone of his toys, brought his baby brother a few presents, and insisted on holding him every 20 minutes or so. It was so sweet.

As I now write this it’s after 3 in the morning, I slept for a few hours but of course I’m still riding the birth hormones so it’ll be a few days before I’ll really be able to get a good rest. I’ve got my wondrous 2 year old boy snoring away in his toddler bed and my sweet perfect baby boy curled up next to his daddy. It really doesn’t get any better than this!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 AM

such a beautiful birth story....im happy you didn't make it to the hospital... i guess it was so much nicer at home...
one more time:HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRISON!!!!

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
Old 10-07-2004, 01:21 PM

Congratulations!!!!!! Wow, sometimes homebirths are just meant to be aren't they? That is a great birth story! Enjoy your new little guy. So sweet to hear how wonderfully Alias has taken too his new little brother. It's sounds just perfect!

Kathy

kathy::
Old 10-07-2004, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh Mirthful, I know I won't be the only one crying after reading your story and laughing too at the pooping/peeing part! Congrats again, I'm sooo happy for you and your family! What a wonderful experience!
Blessings,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM

Great story! Congratulations, hon!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:34 PM

I am crying here..what a beautiful birth story!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 PM

I can't wait to see a picture of your little sweetheart!!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:54 PM

I am totally in tears!! Congratulations!

Stacey- WOHM and wife to Jesse- : Athena , Huckleberry : Fiona : Shillelagh : and Calliope
Old 10-07-2004, 07:03 PM

oops posted in the wrong thread....

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 10-08-2004, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

oh mirthfulmum, I'm SOOOO happy for you. And envious!! It sounds like the perfect birth, and at home too! how wonderful!!! can't wait to meet harrison. take care and enjoy your babymoon!!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 10-09-2004, 12:53 AM

sorry mamas!
Old 10-10-2004, 01:31 AM

ELLA'S BIRTH STORY
Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Steve didn't have to work until 4 pm, so we slept late, had some breakfast, and just relaxed around the house. About an hour after I got up I noticed I was having backache and cramps that felt just like my period. After about another hour I noticed contractions along with the achiness, but they were only coming about 2-3 per hour, and since I'd heard those are signs of prelabor I thought they could possibly last for weeks. And since this was our first baby and the due date was a week away, I was sure this was just prelabor. I had scheduled a prenatal massage the day before so I went to the appointment thinking the contractions would stop if it was not for real. Through the whole massage (1 hour) I had 4. But they didn't hurt at all, except for a mild ache in my back. Steve manages a restaurant nearby so I went to see him and get a bite to eat after the massage. This was at 4pm.

As I sat eating my tacos, the pain in my back started getting too strong to sit through. So I just got up and leaned over a little and it was over. But when the next one came 2 minutes later, we started timing them. At 4:30 they were 2-4 minutes apart and 30-45 seconds long. I think deep down I knew this was it, but I didn't want to declare I was in labor and then be wrong. So I told Steve to call his boss and tell him there was a chance I was in labor and he would need to leave. At 5:30 I went home and called our midwife, Debi, and told her what was going on. She said take a hot shower and try and rest because I would need my strength, but there was no way that would happen. As soon as I got home they started getting HARD. The pain was so intense in my back the only way I was comfortable was on the birth ball, and that only lasted about 20 minutes. I called my mom but had to leave a message, so I called Steve and told him to come home. I was starting to get overwhelmed because I was by myself and they were so close together and so painful in my back; the only way I could stay calm was in the shower on all fours, moaning low moans. I remember looking and seeing my mucus plug coming out whole. For some reason this was very reassuring. When Steve called and reminded me we needed all the hot water for the birth tub I almost cried! But I got out and tried a few on the floor and realized how much the water was helping. I threw up the tacos from earlier and luckily my mom got there because I was travelling quickly to the 'labor-land' I had heard so much about and I did not want to be alone. It was about 6:15. She convinced me I could leave the bathroom floor and use the arm of the couch for support (I could not leave my hands and knees). Steve got home about an hour after my mom came, and contractions got more intense with his arrival. My mom filled the birth tub while Steve applied counter-pressure to my back. When I got in the tub I got instant relief. I have never felt anything so wonderful! I was able to get through 3 contractions without counterpressure and with only light moaning. At 8:30 Debi and her assistant Janet arrived and the contractions got even more intense than before. Steve could not leave my side because he was the only one strong enough to put enough pressure on my back. I barely noticed the tightening of my uterus because the backpain was so consuming, which was a surprise to me since baby was in a great position. Anyway, Debi and Janet got set up and Debi checked my cervix-I was at 7! They helped me to the bathroom to pee and I had a contraction on my way back to the tub. How different they felt out of water! So much more intense than I can explain. Then Debi and Janet just sat around talking since we didn't need them yet. Around 10 pm Debi asked if I was pushing(she said I sounded really pushy). I was feeling tons of pressure but I didn't think I was pushing. Since she said I sounded like I was we did another internal- I was 9 1/2 with just a lip hanging on, so she held onto it through the next contraction. I was then at ten! I was asked if I felt like pushing, but since I didn't, we waited a few minutes until I did. Debi said to just listen to my body. No rushing, no one ordering me to push, no one in charge but me. Pushing was great! I made noises I didn't know I was capable of. I felt so powerful! I pushed only when I felt like it and got a short breather between pushes. Her head was born easily and there was no cord so I kept on pushing and out she came into her daddy's hands. It was 10:22. She was given right to me, covered in vernix but otherwise clean. Steve and I gazed in awe at our baby, and then checked the sex and announced it to the room. Hello Ella! She nursed immediately with an almost perfect latch the first try. Her cord was cut by her daddy after the placenta came out, and we were both helped to the bathroom to take an herb bath. Ella and I got acquainted by candle light in the tub while Steve and my mom made phone calls. After the herb bath I got settled in bed while Janet and Debi did the newborn exam (done on the bed, right where I could see) and then checked me. She was 7 pounds 8 ounces, 21 1/4 inches long, and I only had a 1/4 inch tear! Woohoo!!!

Janet was taking notes on everything, and according to her I only pushed for 12 minutes! This birth could not have been better. I never got the fear or worry that accompanies transition, just the nausea. Actually I was told I was verypolite, smiling between contractions and saying please and thankyou the whole time! (I was pretty focused inward and don't remember everything I said)While I have no other to compare this birth to, I contribute the short labor and easy pushing to the water and the fact that I was surrounded only by people that cared about me and were confident about my abilities to birth naturally. Ella was welcomed by the warm water of the birth tub, low lights, and the hands of people that loved her. She was peaceful and aware with her first breath, and has been so ever since. I cannot imagine birthing anywhere but in the warm support of water and the comfort and security of our own home. The whole experience has been magical; I regret that words cannot capture the power and miracle that Ella's birthday was.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:40 AM

Oh, what a beautiful story!!! What a great birth you had.... Congratulations, and welcome to the world, baby Ella!
Old 10-10-2004, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations Ashlee and Welcome Ella! What a wonderful birth story-it sounds perfect! I only hope the rest of us have such a an awesome experience.
Blessings,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:09 AM

What a beautiful story! And what a wonderful birth! I am so happy for you and your family!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:18 AM

Wow Ashlee what a lovely birthstory.......congratulations on that perfect birth!!!!

Old 10-10-2004, 10:23 AM

Ashlee-

That was amazing! Congrats on such a beautiful birth. Glad to hear Ella and you are doing so well.

Carrie
Old 10-10-2004, 10:31 AM

Conragulations!! That was a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 10-10-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleymama
I am crying here..what a beautiful birth story!
Same here!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

User Tag List