nikwik 10/8 GIRL!
mayasmama 10/08 GIRL!
FutureMama 10/09 BOY! Miles Rocket
bluehalo 10/10 BOY! Noah Daniel
allformyboys 10/11
Lucysmama 10/12 *prediction: girl, Oct 8, 16 hrs labour*
bendmom 10/12
ashleepurdie 10/12 *prediction: boy, 12 hours easy labour*
momadance 10/13 BOY! Gabriel Reed...? or will it be Zappa?
*prediction: Oct 23rd*
Mandi 10/14
rhemp 10/14
wannabmommie 10/15
MTBto5 10/15
krnflwr 10/16 GIRL! Emma Grace *prediction: Oct 16th, 10 hours labour*
gmvh 10/16 TWINS! BOY! and GIRL!
Piglet68 10/18 BOY! Sasha Adam scheduled cesarian October 8
MommyMuse 10/19
JenDoula 10/19
BeansMomma 10/20 GIRL!
Mom2Lily 10/20
CourtneyandLogan 10/21 BOY! Zander Julian
*prediction: Oct 18 or 28*
OakEmber 10/21 BOY! Oakley Kai
*prediction: Oct 6 - 10, 6 hours labour*
mtnjenny 10/22
Stanleymama 10/23 BOY! *prediction: Oct 18, short easy labour*
gottaknit 10/24 *prediction: Oct 31 - Nov 4, > 9 lbs*
3boyz4us 10/24 *expected Oct 22*
Ctmom70 10/24 BOY! Alex Richard
*prediction: Oct 14, 5 hrs labour*
Kim22 10/24 BOY!
aspiring mama 10/25
sunshinegal 10/25 Fiona
AngelBee 10/25 BOY! Angelo Richard
truebluexf 10/27 *prediction: Oct 11, 8 hrs labour, boy*
Soogie 10/27 *prediction: Oct 27 or 28*
ameliabedelia 10/29 GIRL! Greta Marie
*prediction: Oct 17, 10 hrs labour*
flitters 10/30
BeauGeek 10/30
AnnR33 10/31
guinnessinu 10/31 TWINS! BOY! and BOY!
BlueMoonTime 10/31 GIRL! Alexis

How do we want to do the roll call for births? I thought maybe a thread would be up; but, I don't know what CAN time is...I'm here back from cycling and online, so I thought I'd do it and hope Pig isn't doing it at the same time!

:nana: This weekend....IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...had to reshedule pics b/c dh *does* make the money for us to eat and couldn't get away on Friday. We did them Saturday night. AFTER my hair appointment to make sure it was right at 8:30 am because my hairdressser had a family reunion and then came home and cleaned like a banchee and saw it fall and my doula came at 3:30 and I was running like a chicken with my head cut off and then my MWs and ILs at 4:30. The MWs were running late and didn't get there til about 45 minutes later from another appointment. It went well though. ILs asked a lot of questions to doula and MWs and they are at ease about it and are supportive. OK--I'm so sold on hb...they did my exam and my MW asked if I minded if she used the doppler so everyone could hear. I said no. Mil was soooooooooooo excited! I was laying on my *own* couch and my family was there (cept my mama and my little sister ) and they were listening to the baby. THIS is how birth is supposed to be! After my exam, I went right to call the photographer b/c we were running late and then we went to take pics. He'll mail the CD to us. This is different from when he took our wedding pics, can I show yall with that? It was nice b/c he could show us on his laptop and some of the belly shots where he had dhs head on my belly and I'm in an off white gown are beautiful....my photographer is *such* an artist and I him for it!

Sunday I had church and then off to pick up MIL who told us she wasn't going to our shower. She was tired.... She sent along some *huge* baskets which included CDs. It was amazing! It was a long day yesterday and so today I cycled on fumes and now I'm here camped out on the couch. I guess I'll get on the floor in to tailor sit at some point. I'm taking today off...well, except for our last cb class tonight. And I'll be shopping I need to order a few things and I made a list of what else we need. I may go through all these gifts and sift out the gift cards and see what I'll be able to get.

UH oh....QOTW: I dunno? : How about what's on your mind as birth gets close. Anything! What you have to do....(I need to post again! :LOL Any concerns. Any excitement...whatever. I guess we've been sharing all this time and I guess as we lead up to birth we can just share what's on our minds and we get ready to welcome our babies.

Me, all I have to do.... I won't hash all that now especially if Pig is workin on the weekly thread! Including....and I don't feel so bad b/c Pig and I are in the same boat I think, finishing addressing the envelopes and stuffing them and sending them out to yall! btw, is there extra postage to CAN? And Katie, I haven't forgotten aboutcha! I'm wonderin about who I was working on your purchasing your gift from did though.

OK! Well, that's enough from me! If I hit submit and Pig has got the post up.....!

Have a blessed week mamas! Its fair game for some of us about now! And Congrats Gretchen and Marnie (allformyboys)!
#2 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow Letia, quite a busy weekend you had!! I can't believe that you are STILL cycling! I hope that you share your pictures with us when you get them...sounds like they will be awesome!

QOTW- Well I was gonna talk about this anyway, so I guess the QOTW is open ended enough to bring it up here. I guess what is on my mind is I am done with being pregnant...I spent a few days last week going through my maternity clothes and basically purging them....giving back stuff I had borrowed and anything I won't be wearing anymore (summer stuff) or that doesn't fit and making room in my drawers again for regular clothes. Even the stuff I have left I have been mentally thinking about who I will pass it off to when I am done with it. It was kinda just like a nesting urge, I didn't really think about it until I was done...but now I am thinking "actions speak louder than words" so I guess I really am ready for this to be over with! And I don't plan on having anymore after this, so I guess I really OK with that on a subconscious level too. Am I the only weirdo that's doing this? :LOL

And I am also feeling like a bad Momma these days...Ember has been having accidents again, and they are directly related to my mood and my tone with her She gets really sensitive and thinks I am mad at her, and when she pees her pants and I give a big sigh she just looks heartbroken. Why, why, why, must I do that :ignore
#3 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 12:53 PM

Awwww, Amie - I know how you feel. It is so hard to be the mama of a toddler right now. You are just totally hormonal. My dd had a tantrum yesterday and ripped out her ponytails that I had just spent 10 minutes putting in....and I caught myself giving her a dirty look when she was done screaming. She looked so sad then, and whispered, "Sorry, mama." I felt terrible, of course - she's 2.

Amy, I just read in the other thread that you are losing your plug, too. Don't worry!!! It can be weeks before labor begins. You just have to make it till Wednesday, right?

Letia - glad your homevisit went well and that your family is on board with homebirth! I hope your pictures come out looking lovely, and don't forget to post one!

QOTW: I have a lot of loose ends to tie up, and I want them tied up TODAY. With the full moon on Wednesday and the amount of contractions I am having every day, I feel a pressing need to get this stuff done. It's all little stuff - get batteries/film for the camera, check out some books and videos for my toddler from the library, clean up her playroom and get it set up with the TV (she isn't normally allowed to watch videos, but we want it for the labor in case it gets long and we need her out of my hair) and make a couple of phone calls.

Also, what is on my mind is just Lucy. What to do with her in case of emergency transport, what to do with her if I have a cesarean and have to be gone a few days, and what if she doesn't tolerate labor well and dh has to miss the birth because he is dealing with her. Questions I don't have good answers for.

And a little part of me is worried about the baby now, since we didn't have any ultrasounds, I worry that the baby has some major problem that we will discover at birth. It feels good to purge all this!

Oh, and I guess I have my own lil question: What, if anything, are you planning to do with the placenta?
#4 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 01:31 PM

Lucysmama, Do you have anyone picked to just hang out with your daughter during the birth? I think that would be a really good thing to look into. Maybe grandma or a close friend or something. Someone who can be there to answer all her questions and take her out of the room if need be. You need your birth partner to be there for you. But she needs someone too! They shouldn't be the same person.

I'm also feeling a time crunch with the full moon on its way. It's so close. I've been dilating and effacing and having cramp like feelings in addition to my "normal" contractions. But I'm not sure if he's that low yet. I've been feeling more pressure, but not a ton. Either way, I think it will be soon.

And if it were, I would NOT be ready. We're going to the hospital, and I STILL have not pre-registered. Nor have I packed the baby bag. Or gotten diapers (I'm planning on using mostly 'sposies--the gel free kind, of course-- for the first week or two, maybe even the first month.). Nor have I gotten his clothes all washed. Still have to set up the carseat. Still need nursing bras. And some nightgowns and underwear for the hospital (I sleep nude and don't wear underwear often, but imagine that I'll need somewhere to put a wonderful bleeding pad).

Okay, and we've been up in the air about a lot of stuff, namely because my partner is pretty new to the idea of natural and mindful childbirth. When his daughter was born, natural childbirth was an accident--his ex wanted drugs the whole time, but progressed too fast and missed the opportunity. The idea of doulas, homebirth, etc... were completely foreign to him, and he's become more comfortable with them only recently. So we hadn't made any decisions. And now I need to find a doula!! eeek!

Where's that nesting bug when you need it?!
#5 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 01:40 PM

Oakember~ I'm in the process of doing the same clothing rotation

I can't beleive I didn't go into labor yesterday! LOL We spent all day pulling up about 300 sq feet of wild blueberries/strawberries, vines, root systems etc. Then tilled the soil, added some peet and composted steer manure, and started a compost pile!
wich leads me to an answer to Katies question, we will bury the placenta in our garden area. (I just need to make sure that's ok animal wise)

I feel so totally ready as far as having the babe goes.Knowing I have my amazing couple friends coming down to be with us just set everything in place for me. I still need to get some extra linens and an air mattress, but even if I don't I feel ok about it.

Katie, I think your concerns about Lucy at the birth are totally on. Is Dh ok with not being around for you if it turns out Lucy can't handle the birth? Mine wasn'. He said he felt he wouldn't be able to focus on Miles needs... Maybe you could have a back up person, someone who doesn't necessarily need to be involved in or at the birth?
#6 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 01:59 PM

Momadance/mamaemerald - I don't have anyone lined up to come be with Lucy or take her away...but many people have offered. I am just taking a wait-and-see approach. The last thing I want is extra people there, and I don't have anyone I am comfortable about asking to attend. My FIL has offered to come pick Lucy up for a while if the labor gets too long, and so will my MIL when she gets back from Turkey on Friday (if I make it till then). But I don't wanna ask any of them to come until we really need them, if we do. Mamaemerald - I don't see my dh as my birth partner really, I see my MW in that role. I am ok with dh missing the birth if he is attending to Lu, though I would rather he be there of course.
#7 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 02:25 PM

38 weeks, 2 days.

I'm glad to get a chance to respond early on ... I get overwhelmed where there are so many messages and I catch myself just reading and not having the energy to respond. Sorry for being such a slacker!

I'm with you Piglet ... I've been going through maternity stuff, deciding what to give away and to whom, packing up the stuff that no longer covers my belly I know that as this baby grows out of things, they'll be given away / donated. It makes me feel so good to know I won't be packing them up in the basement for another 4 years *lol* I am so not a packrat ...I feel so much free-er w/o so much *stuff*. There are actually some baby things that I'm using from Ethan for this new one ... but honestly maternity stuff has changed so much since my last pregnancy, I can only think of one or two things that I'm using this time around. Makes me feel better about letting go of everything this time. I'm pretty confident that we're done, and if not, it wouldn't be for another 4 years or so ... so ...

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about the full moon ... I think I'm actually ready. Or as ready as I'm ever gonna be *lol* I'm not having any serious signs ... but have been having steady and occasionally pretty intense BH contrax for about two weeks now, crampi-ness on and off, etc. I'm excited about the birth, I'm excited to see DS meet this baby, and I'm mostly just excited to meet this new little soul that I've been carrying around for what feels like forever now.
#8 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 02:31 PM

For a change, I had a nice comment instead of a stupid one come my way. Someone asked when I was due. When I said Oct. 8, they said "that's next week." For some reason, that thought had not occurred to me, the more I think of it, the happier I get. Light at the end of the tunnel.
I plan on leaving the placenta at the hospital.
What's left to do? Still need to wash baby clothes (unless dh did it today). Car seat still needs to be installed (waiting on dh for that...). I probably need some more diapers, but I don't know what to buy b/c I don't know how big this baby is going to be. We are going to use spoisies, yet another long story. My hospital bag is almost completely packed.
Oh, still missing the crib. My father and grandfather are making it. It was supposed to be done a few weeks ago, but the weather was so damp that the finishes were taking a long time to dry in between coats. So, my parents will bring it when I go into labor. They live about 4 hours away, so it will definitly be set up by the time we get home from the hospital.
Someone asked about what branch of the military dh is looking at...army.

Question: For those of you having a hospital birth, do you sign all their consent forms? I don't agree with the ones the hospital has, vague and intervention filled. I do have a birth plan, but if I sign the consent forms, can't they do what they want anyways?
#9 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 02:32 PM

35 weeks 3 days

Do you REALLY want to know all my worries and concerns??

I am worried that the baby will be born still or will die shortly after birth. I get super freaked out by reading that in people's sig's or hearing about it.

I am worried that I will need a c-section and die during it, leaving my children childless and my evil MIL will come and try to steal them away or convince dh to live with her. I made dh promise that if I die he will live with MY parents, not my MIL.

I am worried that I will need a c-section and having it will make all other births and pregnancies harder or we won't be able to have more kids or something from it.

I am worried that DD will freak when she sees the baby get her nursies and major rivarly will ensue.

I am worried about my ability to handle 2 kids and especially to leave the house with 2 kids myself. Oftentimes I need to pick DD up or carry her briefly and I can't do that with a baby as well.

I am worried about my dd's so much two-ness and that her behavior will worsen. Today during storytime at the libray she HAD to bring pooh, baby, bear and her UK baby blanket. Well a 13-month old started to take pooh and she didn't like that, although I wouldn't let him take it. So, after that whenever the little boy would walk by, she would push him away (consequently knocking him down, since he wasn't too steady walking yet). Then when we had to leave the library she didn't want to leave, wouldn't walk out. Finally I had to just carry her out amidst her loud protests. I am worried that those kinds of behavior will worsen and she will be very difficult.

I am worried about how we are going co-sleep with 4 people. The bed is crowded enought with just 3.

I am worried the baby will have to be in the NICU for awhile and we won't get to take her home right away.

I am worried the ultrasound was wrong, and it is a boy and we won't have ANY boy clothes, just a few gender neutral things but mostly girly stuff and he won't have name.

I am worried I will develop PPD or worse post-partum psycosis and try to hurt one of my children.

I am worried how dd will handle the separation from me in the hospital. The longest we have ever been apart is about 6 hours (although I do plan on having her and spend lots of time there after the birth)!!

Although I have called the insurance company twice to make sure we would be covered everything at 100% in the hospital, I am worried they will bill us for something anyway.

I am worried about the going past my due date and the baby being born on Halloween. Don't ask why, but that would just freak me out to have her born on Halloween.

I am worried about something happening to my dd while I am in the hospital and her having an accident and dying or dh and her getting in a car accident.

I am worried that we won't be able to reach my mom when I go into labor and she won't get here in time to stay with dd.

Whew!! That is a lot. They say most things we worry about don't happen. And some of them really aren't too likely. I probably won't die during a c-section if I need one or get post-partum psychosis, but of course I still worry about it.

Oh, and just so no one thinks I am crazy, I am not like insanely worried about all these things. They are just things which cross my mind and concern me, ya know.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#10 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 02:32 PM

36 weeks 2 days

QOTW: I don't know really where to begin. I think for me I hope that the baby does well and comes safely. Sometimes I worry about something going wrong. That is why I prefer them in my arms because then I KNOW that they are ok. I was feeling nervous about giving birth again, but not any longer. I am really looking forward to it now. God has given me this wonderful peace about it all.

There have been times during this pg that I have thought of this one as my last, but now I am open to having more. Not soon, but in a couple years. Dh and I also hope to adopt someday, so either way there will be more children in our home.

As for the placenta, we have no plans for it.

Letia...so neat that your il's are supporting your hb decision. And WOW you are one busy girl I hope you get a chance to rest before this little one decides to come out and say hi.

Truebluefx...glad to hear that all is well. I hope you find your home and personal belongings in good shape. And losing your plug, I will be praying for a safe birth for you and your little one

So this week is gonna be a busy one here as well. I will be taking care of some final sales order for my biz; MIL has a big porch party planned for Saturday for the family; and dh takes his lsat on Sat. as well so he will be busy studying and prepping for that. The porch party is going to be loads of fun. That night is a light parade that will go past our home so we will be putting up Christmas lights this week as the city wants the parade route to look nice, light and festive. We will have 35-50 family members here...should be a good time.

Chat later when I can
#11 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 03:36 PM

Hi everyone! Glad I'm getting in here early on in the thread - there's a lot posted I want to respond to already!

Thia - I'm still working, too. I plan to work "as long as I can", but really, I'm not getting anything done. I surf the internet, "supervise and train" my replacement, and wish I was at home getting the stuff I really want to do, done!

Letia - I want to see pictures! No excuses! They sound beautiful. Glad to hear your hb plans are being well received.

Amelia - Your list of worries may look long, but it is so good to name them out loud like that. Keeping them in doesn't do any good. Do you feel better after typing them all out? Was it in BFW that I read, "Worry is the work of pregnancy"? So true.

Placenta - We were really torn about what to do with it at first. We're crunchy, but not terribly spiritual or emotionally attached to our body fluids/tissues. :LOL KWIM? But just throwing it away seemed wrong. So our midwife told us that she can take it and she donates them to a search dog training program. They bury them and use them to train dogs to search for bodies. Seems like a good cause to me!

Worries:

That the baby will be a boy and we haven't agreed on a boy name yet! The poor baby will be nameless for weeks, or one of us will "win" and the other be disappointed in the name.

That I'll go into labor next weekend, and my mom will have to cancel the baby shower (I don't care so much, but she's so excited for it!) and DH will miss out on running the Portland Marathon. He's been training all year! And I want to be there to see him cross the finish line!

That my water will break at work or on the way home on the bus, and I'll be stuck on public transportation with wet pants and leaking all over the place. It's a 45 minute commute by bus. DH works in another town an hour away, so I can't call for a ride home. Guess I could call a cab.... But they may think it's a little odd to pick up a leaky pregnant woman in labor at the hospital, and take her home! :LOL Can cabbies refuse to transport? That would suck.

OK so my worries sound pretty silly. I'm also scared about the usual things: long painful labor, being transferred to the hospital, having lots of interventions leading to a c-section...

Am I the only one who has contractions constantly? I am one big walking Braxton Hicks. It's been going on like this for over a week. Yesterday the mw assistant was trying to feel my belly to check the baby's position, and she had to keep stopping because I would have a contraction and she couldn't feel very well.

Last night we went to my mom's to watch some birth videos the midwife loaned us. They were pretty cool, and I'm so glad DH is getting to see all of these newborn babies so he won't be freaked out by the baby's coloring or the vernix or headmolding or whatever... But watching other women give birth gives me the most painful cramps! It was really weird. I had to pause it and get up and walk around a few times.

One more thing: I noticed in our roll call that almost everybody with a prediction predicts a short labor, and giving birth before their EDD. What a bunch of optimists we are, huh?!
#12 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 PM

hi mamas! happy monday!

big congratulations and best wishes to gretchen and the twins! yay!

trueblue, i'm also sending you dry, non-windy, make it throught the full moon thoughts.

everyone, thanks so much for the reassurance that my puffy nether region was not such an unusual or scary thing. i showed my dh a few of the posts - he chuckled at the "purple stuff" comment.

i'm continually impressed by the mamas who are helping ease their toddlers and other kids through the transition to having another baby. you guys often make comments about feeling guilty about a particular thing you said or look you gave to your child, but i think you all sound like wonderful, caring, nurturing parents.

it's so exciting reading about those of you who are getting close to having your babies now! mucus and contractions and full moons!!! i'm not due till the end of the month but i'm getting so excited. i think i'll probably go a bit before my due date (seems to be a family trend and i'm active which also tends to go with 38/9 week pregnancies) but i'm happy to have another few weeks.

i'm still at work but this is my last week. i will then be on maternity leave through the middle of february. i've never had that long a period of time without some sort of academic type responsibility (school or career type).

dh has finished our "baby room" (really a guest room where we will put baby stuff for a few years as we'll be cosleeping) and it is really cute. it's not a big room so the queen size bed takes up almost the whole thing but it will be good. i'm hoping to get a night stand and dresser before the baby arrives but i'm waiting for a good used set to come up on craigslist so it may take a while.

lucysmama, we ordered the aquadoula too. we were originally going to get a fishy pool until we visited our niece and realized just how quickly a dog claw could deflate the pool by accident, even from the outside. i think it will be great and dh is excited to give it a trial run (at least setting it up, maybe not filling it).

QOTW:

i don't know what i'm most worried about.

i really don't think there will be a problem with our labor or birth so i'm not too worried there. same with breast feeding, i think it will all go fine.

i think my three biggest concerns are:

my mom's visit after the baby arrives. i really don't know what to expect from her in terms of adding to stress or being an easy/helpful guest.

going back to work... it will be the right thing for us and we are very lucky to be in a position where dh will be a SAHD, but i think it will be hard at first even just part time, then hard again when i switch back to full time in may or june.

and getting back to a normal sex life post baby.

ok, i should get back to work. by the way, i brought in a little baggie of cookies today which were supposed to last me the week (or at least a couple days) but they are all gone and it isn't even lunch time on monday!

mmmmm... tasty.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#13 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 04:00 PM

I'm sooooooo sorry to let you guys down again with the weekly thread. Now that I'm not working, I'm completely losing track of what day of the week it is. Thank you, Letia, for taking over the reins!

I haven't had time to read through this thread yet, so I'll be back later to post...just wanted to say I'm 37 weeks today (miscounted again last week, thought I was 38, lol). AND that I can so totally relate to being DONE with being pregnant. Used to hear this all the time from my not-a-first-time moms in my last PG group, when I was a first time mom...I was loving being PG and kinda felt sorry for those who were complaining their way through the last trimester. Well, let's just say that having a child around when you are PG is NOT fun and I am now joining the ranks of all those saying "I AM SOOO DONE!!". Mostly I'm sick of being so incredibly limited in what I can do and how far I can walk, etc. I want my body back!!!!!!!

love to all of you

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#14 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 04:50 PM

36 weeks

QOTW: Not too much has been on my mind lately...darn preggo brain!!! I can't remember anything! And on top of that, I've become the world's biggest clutz. I've been dropping things, knocking things over, bumping into things/people with my big ole belly. I'm a mess! But seriously, I'm only worried about having everything ready for the birth. I feel a smidge more prepared...my birth kit has arrived and today the UPS man delivered my fishy pool, waterbed fill/drain kit, and an air compressor that I ordered. My Dad called today to let me know that he probably won't be able to make it here for the birth to watch the kids. I *should* be worried, but for some reason I'm not. I'm actually a little relieved. It will be nice for it to be just us as a family, and the midwives of course. I think my kids will do okay.

Letia - dang girl. I'm envious of you still cycling. I can barely walk up the stairs anymore. I hope you share some of the pics with us.

Amie - I'm with ya on feeling like a bad momma lately. But growing a baby and parenting little ones at the same time is hard work. I've said I'm sorry to my kids a lot lately, but I'm just trying to do the best I can do. Chin up.

Amelia - It's good that you've written out all your worries and concerns. It probably feels better to get them all out.

Nancy - We did the same thing with my placenta from ds. Our Bradley instructor's brother was the chief of the search and rescue team and used all the donated placentas to train the dogs. I felt really good about giving it to an agency that could really use. We did keep dd's and used it in the garden. I'm not sure what we'll do with this one. And I'm definitely not one predicting a short labor. My first was 96 hours and my second was 18 hrs. Not much hope for a quickie here.

I posted a new pic on the yahoo site of me at 36 weeks...getting bigger and bigger and bigger...
#15 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 05:03 PM

Okay, here's the scoop on Gretchen and the twins:

Friday they started the induction w/ the cervidil. Sat morn she was dilated to 4 and they started the pitocin. She labored all day and night, pain med free and w/ a doula, and got to about 8 cm when they discovered the twins were just too tangled up with each other to descend any further. As Baby Girl was trying to turn heads down, she got in the way of Baby Boy and they were both effectively stuck. They did a c-section at some point in the middle of the night, after it was clear there wasn't any way to untangle the two.
So, both of the babies were born Sat night and they are still unnamed. Baby Girl weighed in at 6 lbs exactly and Baby Boy was 6 lbs 2 oz. Great size for 37 wks twins!
Mama and babes are all doing well and healing/recovering well. Baby Girl is nursing like a champ, although Baby Boy seems to be a bit slow still at figuring things out. But nothing too worrisome. The babies are healthy, and as long as Gretchen continues to heal well, they will be released tomorrow.
#16 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

: I try to post and Net crashes! Just peekin my head in to say no apologies, Pig. It was no big deal! You've been doing it the whole time now. I was just glad we didn't x-post!

Now back to this list of still need and no nap today b/c I can't rest....
#17 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Woohoo for Gretchen and the twins!!! Those are some big healthy babies for twins born at 37 weeks! I'm so impressed that she labored so long with pitocin and no pain meds. That's awesome. Glad to hear everyone's doing well!
#18 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 05:52 PM

Wow all I can say is piglet you read my mind 100%. I am feeling EXACTLY the same way. I was baffled when ohter moms would say uggh I'm so done. I would be like why thsi is easy and wonderful WELL... it sure is different when you have to chase a toddler all over the place. I agree I AM DONE!!

I'm excited to have #2 here but I don't want to go through this anymore. It's just way too hard. I know i've reached my limit. If I want another baby we can always adopt or maybe be foster parents.

My worreis are about how Liam will do without me around. How will this labor go. Will it be as wonderful and fufilling as it was with liam 9hours of labor and 45 mintues to push. Will I be able to focuse and not worry about how Liam is doing (epscially if it's late at night). I'm worried that the baby is breech (haven't checked lately so I have no idea if the baby is in the right spot) and I'll have to have a c-section and stay longer at the hospital than I want too. I'm worreid that I won't handle labor as well as last tiem and wind up getting an epidural. Just freaking out overall.

I am glad I got all the baby clothes washed an put away. I just have to wash the car seat and get DH to install it. I have to find all my baby gear and wash it.

I'm really excited I got my fleece hotlsings pouch today. What a beautiful job kristen does with them and she so nicely packcages it with a ribbion tied around it. No wonder people rave about her stuff. I can't wait to try it out.

Oh yeah I'm also worried about how Liam will do with less attention from me. He is super attached to me and a big snuggler and I think it will be hard on him if he wants to snuggle and I may not be able to at the moment.

Well I think that is it!

Carrie
#19 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 06:13 PM

36 weeks; 6 days

Good gosh; we made it to 10 pages last week and at this pace we'll likely do it again. I must admit, I so enjoy reading everyone's posts and like many have confessed, it's hard to have the energy left to post and/or respond to others.

Let's see... Amy - good dry vibes for your photos and stickiness to your baby; Amelia, you crack me up in the best way - I could pretty much ditto those same concerns; Katie, good for you for staying home; Letia - for Heaven's sakes, woman, your exercise routine makes me tired just reading about it - I'm with Soogie, stairs are enough for me.

Thia - I'm still working as well and had planned to up to when I go into labor (for money reasons). However, I'm completely ineffective and have to confess that I have totally slacked off lately. In fact, I have a meeting with my Big Boss tomorrow to confess that I've made no progress on this strategic project she wants from me and I'm hoping she'll be so mad (or - dare I say, understanding) that she takes it off my plate completely. This whole conversation has me so scared that it's all I think about as I lay awake at night. ugh.

QOTW: I suppose my biggest concerns surround the fact that we dropped out of our birthing class at the hospital because they were so lame. Then we were going to have a Birthing From Within series, but the instructor flaked, so all in all I'm feeling a bit under-prepared with respect to pain management. We have the Hypnobabies program too, but I've been procrastinating and I'm afraid it may be too late. yikes. You can also do a cut and paste of Amelia's list for additional concerns...
#20 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 06:15 PM

oh wow, how exciting for Gretchen!! Those *are* good sized twins - wow!!
#21 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 07:05 PM

Yeah, we sure are getting chatty as our days count down aren't we?!

Hmmm, let me see what my pregnancy brain lets me recall as I try to comment on what I've read.

Amelia- that is quite some list you have there! I hope that you feel better now that you've gotten it off your chest.

About the "being done" thing...the weird part about it, for me anyway, is that I don't physically feel that uncomfortable (don't smack me)...I'm pretty lucky and haven't had more than just the usual discomforts, and I could easily go on for a few more weeks. I feel done mentally/emotionally I guess, and I am not sure why..., and certainly didn't expect to ever feel this way...maybe it has to do with my m/c. I am with you others, I don't forsee being pregnant again...if I want to add to our family it will be through foster parenting/adoption, or just a classic oops

WTG Gretchen for growing such strong healthy babies and giving it all your best... Now I can't wait to hear thier names!!

Court- Got your bead safe and sound today, Thanks it is so beautiful! I really wish I had recieved some before sending out mine...now it seems so boring in comparison.

Thanks Soogie and Katie about the Bad Momma issue, we are having a much better day today.

Nancy, :LOL, I noticed that too, hehe! Oh well, I do believe there is something to seeing the cup as half full

Katie- I don't remember how long you labored with Lucy before having a c/s (just reread this and it could sound wrong so just to explain what I mean by it is that you might already know how you might act/feel in labor but it might be new to you) but I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't let Dh leave the room....I just really didn't want him to miss the birth and thought it was gonna happen faster (so while I pushed for 4 hrs he wasn't even allowed to go and get something to eat : and he ended up with a migraine which probably could have been avoided). So hopefully you really will be Ok with Dh tending to Lucy and missing the birth if need be...but laboring woman can get some fanatical ideas in the moment I know you really want privacy, I just know what I did :LOL we didn't even have our camera in the room with us b/c I wouldn't let Dh go to the car for it...so I have no pictures of Ember until the day after she was born.

As for the placenta...I was just gonna leave it in the hospital too. I do hope to hear more about it from my midwife, how it looks, is it mature that sort of thing, but that's about the extent of it.
#22 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 07:08 PM

39 weeks exactly!

Well, I've been ingnoring the pregnancy most of the weekend and today since DD has been quite sick. It started out as a feverish day that was quite enjoyable for me (we snuggled and hibernated) but it has turned into a nasty sickly toddler. Poor DD hardley has any voice, she has an awful wet cough and lots of trouble breathing. I took her to the clininc today because DH and I agreed that we really needed to know exactly what was going on with her. We ended up with antibiotics which normally I'd try to avoid but right now I am looking for a quick fix so that DD can be healthy and I won't worry about going into labor when she is so needy. Anyway, all this comotion got me though 3 days without thinking about labor signs!

I have nothing to report in terms of labor, just more of the same BH contractions. I'm losing hope of having this baby before the end of September (the cutoff for school in Quebec) but thats OK.

Piglet, don't worry about not starting the thread everyweek, Letia does a great job in your place. And with you over on the West coast, us Easterners are up and at 'em before you (or we should be!)

I'm with all you toddler mamas about this being hard work. Amerliabedelia, your description of leaving the library with DD is a well known routine for us too sadley

Truebluxf I'm thinking of ya!

Gotta go, dinner is ready.
#23 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 07:09 PM

38 weeks, 1 day

the placenta: we'll be keeping it, although i worry about that at the hospital. they're ok with my husband putting it in a cooler, IF he has time to do that. no one we asked at the hospital ever heard of someone saving the placenta (huh?!) so we decided if trying to save it would distract him from the baby, don't worry about it. if we do get it, we'll bury the placenta under a willow tree we're going to plant at his mom's house

qotw: i'm a bit worried, mostly peaceful. even the worry feels good, like right before getting on a giant rollercoaster mostly i keep visualizing every little thing, from changing diapers to putting her to breast, figuring out ways to make things easier on myself (hence lots of nesting and re-organizing). my biggest worry (besides all the normal "i hope she's okay!" stuff) is that labor won't start by 40 weeks and they'll pressure me to induce. my entire being screams at me that an induction won't work and i'll end up with a cesarean, so even thinking about induction is enough to freeze me up in terror. i just keep meditating and visualizing my body relaxing and opening. it's so damn hard to let go and trust my body to do something it's never done before!

last week i was having constant contractions, since the baby dropped i have not had on contraction since then! hardly any discharge as well. hence worrying i won't go into labor on my own.

congrats Gretchen!! i can't wait to read the birth story and learn their names

peace,
meli

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#24 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 08:21 PM

Ok! I've got all my birth linens washed and packed up! All we need to do is drain, sanitize and re-set the hot tub and we're good to go, which means I'll go way past my due date because I'm prepared ahh well
#25 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 08:41 PM

Hi All,
My my, everyone's got a lot on their minds!

Thia, I'm still working (teaching.) I've said it before, but I swear it keeps my mind from obsessing about my pregnancy when I'm at school with those little munchers. I always forget about the rest of my life when they start coming in the classroom door...I plan on going back after three months, and again after the summer. I just don't feel ready to give it up yet. After nine years, it's truly a part of me and I still feel passionate about it. (I know, these feelings could ALL change as soon as I see that little baby face...)

Way to go Gretchen!

Piglet, me too on the purging of maternity clothes. It feels so good. I'm like bluehalo - the opposite of a pack rat. Can't stand the clutter!!

To all of you with little ones already, I just can't relate yet! I'm definitely one of those first-timers-loving-being-pregnant-feeling-so-good-don't-know-what-all-the-fuss-is-about. Ignorance is bliss! That must sound so annoying to you...sorry

I definitely want to check out the placenta, but after that, I don't need it...

Worries? Well, the same as all of you, truly. BUT, (get ready, here's optimistic Jenny coming through again, can't help it...) when it comes down to it, ladies, if you end up having a c-section, having the epidural, having the episiotomy, going way beyond your EDD, or just having a truly terrible birth experience - so what?! Am I crazy to think this way? Am I so ignorant? Tell me if I am. We are all being so careful, standing up for our wishes, making our intentions clear, covering all our bases, doing our research...at some point we have to trust our decisions (hospital, homebirth, whatever,) the people we have chosen to be with us, and the universe. As long as baby and mom come through healthy, we can deal with the memories of a traumatic experience - not that it would be easy, but we can deal with that, in lots of ways. I worry so much that people are going to see themselves as some sort of failure if something goes "wrong." And, believe me, I am bound and determined to have a natural childbirth, and have everything go JUST as I planned it... Oooh, I'm SO tempted to go back and delete this whole paragraph, but I won't...Thanks for letting me share those feelings with you, mamas. We just need to be strong on both sides of the picture, or once again it's a way of women losing control and feeling defeated. OK really, I'm done now. Whew.

Soooo...On a MUCH lighter note, anyone out there drinking non-alcoholic beer? What's your fave? (Yes, I'm a Wisconsin girl at heart, it's in my blood.) My favorite is Haake Beck, made by Beck's.

Now that you all think I'm totally nuts, I'll sign off...
#26 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 08:50 PM

Jenny, I only think you're nuts cuz you like non-alcoholic beer! I've tried every kind I can find and they all taste like I'm sucking on copper pennies. Yech!

I'll confess I sip wine with dinner on special occasions. But I can't wait to get my hands on a Real Beer again!!
#27 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 PM

Hi everyone! We're getting closer...
My main worries are that my kids will feel left out the first few weeks or that my in-laws won't get here in time to watch the kids and my DD will get freaked out by the experience. My DS is very excited about seeing the birth but my DD is only 3 and I think she'll be scared.
But mostly we're ready (famous last words) and I just need to get the last of the clothes washed and the rest of the things unpacked from our move!!! It's never ending!
Can't wait to hear about the next babe arrival!

Still thinking of you Amy-hope all is well!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#28 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 PM

Jenny I have never been a big drinker in my life, although I do enjoy a good glass of wine or an ammaretto sour if I am out. I have always thought beer tasted and smelled yucky. I was a month or two pg and dh opened up an O'douls (nabeer) and it smelled good! Since then, I always take a sip of his. He only drinks it a couple of times a week. It will be interesting to see if I still like it after the baby. I can't wait to have a good glass of wine!
Susan I too am a childbirth class drop out. We skipped the last class. I could have taught them for all I have read! My bibliography is quite long. A mix of Bradley stuff, Sears stuff, Henci Goer etc...so I feel pretty prepared on that end. As for all the breathing, I realized that my years as an athlete and singer have better prepared me than some class! We can do this!

Well, survived another day of work. Next time someone asks if I am "still here," I am going to say "no, I am not, you're dillusional!"
#29 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 09:32 PM

Wow so many things I want to comment on.

If I go over my EDD. I'm doing the accupuncture and castor oil again. It worked for me before and avoid me being induced. The castor oil/OJ combo is the nastiest thing on earth but hey sure beats being induced. Who cares if ya poop when you are pushing that baby out they just rinse your behind off with a bit of water and your good to go. Plus the first poop after birth doesn't hurt because it's still working it's way out of your system. I'm not sure what effect this has on the baby but to me it seems better than pitocin. I'm not knocking anbody who chooses to be induced or has to be I'm just very into trying any other way than pitocin.

I remember the good old days of throughly loving being pregnant and what is the fuss all about. I know I really chwrished it becuase I had 2 m/c's before conceiving liam. It's just his time around when you're so tired from not enough sleep and chasing a toddler around, etc. You're just ready to be done and to start things with this lil baby. Thankfully I'm not having a lot of aches and pains but it's till not easy.

Anybody reading the eating your placenta topic in this forum. (not our specific one but the general pregnant one.) If it's the one I read before it was pretty gross. At least to me. If anyone wants to go for it. It's not for me.

BeansMomma-

My childbirth classes so sucked at the hospital (the ones I took while pregnant the first time) It was supposed to be a 2 day class to learn everything you wanted to know about childbirth. It wound up being about a hlf day about childbirth and a day and half about pain meds and the epidural. It was really awful!! I was the only one in my class to even ask if there was soemthing other than the dran epidural I could have. I was also the only one to mention using a doula or ask about the use of them. Man that class sucked. I basically just trusted my body and my doula to help me get through it the way I wanted which was drug free and medical intervention free. I was in the shower non-stop. The hospital I was at didn't have the birthing tubs. Water is such antural pain reliver. I would reccomend that and just trust and belive in yourself and GET A DOULA!! I'm using a doula again this time. Not to say my husband can't support me but it's nice having that extra support.

It's been intersting to see how we all are feeling a lot of similar things.

Okay we've shared a lot of personal stuff here..anyone here having really bad gas issues?

WEll that's about if for this post..the boys are home from their adventure out. So I should go.

Take Care all!
Carrie
#30 of 206 Old 09-27-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Liam
Anybody reading the eating your placenta topic in this forum. (not our specific one but the general pregnant one.) If it's the one I read before it was pretty gross. At least to me. If anyone wants to go for it. It's not for me.
: I'm thinking about it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page