It's October!! weekly thread (a bit early) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 296 Old 10-06-2004, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations Mirthfulmum! I'm all teary for you! Can't wait to read your birth story! I'm so glad it all went so well for you!

:

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#122 of 296 Old 10-06-2004, 10:48 PM

Woo hoo! Way to go mirthfulmum, can't wait to hear your story! How nice to have baby in your arms!

Go Ashlee! :
#123 of 296 Old 10-06-2004, 10:54 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!! & : Baby Harrison!!
#124 of 296 Old 10-06-2004, 11:00 PM

WELCOME HARRISON!!!
: :

congratulations mirthfulmom!!!!

good luck ashlee!!!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#125 of 296 Old 10-06-2004, 11:02 PM

Yay Mirthful!!! Congrats... I can't believe you ended up with an unplanned homebirth - what a story you must have to tell and I want to hear ever detail of it!

Welcome to the world Harrison
#126 of 296 Old 10-06-2004, 11:51 PM

Hello...just thought i tell ya that i put a picture of dh and the boys on the yahoo site...it's from last fall, but it's my favprite picture of all 4 of them. i'll try and get a profile shot sometime.

Carrie
#127 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 AM

congrats mirthfulmum and welcome Harrison!!

Stacey- WOHM and wife to Jesse- : Athena , Huckleberry : Fiona : Shillelagh : and Calliope
#128 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 AM

: way to go mirthfulmum!!!

peace,
meli

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#129 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:54 AM

Welcome to Earth, Little Harrison!!!

Congrats on the smooth birth, Mirthful!
#130 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 01:10 AM

Welcome little Harrison : : :
#131 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRISON!!!
can't wait to hear ur birthstroy...
Hold on ashley......birthvibes to u and everyone who needs them......
my contractions stopped today morning when i got up from bed.... i think dh was right that i just needed to sleep...
Nancy, mucus plug story was really funny and when i told it to my dh he said: "well...if i felt morning sickness i guess soon i can feel im losing my mucus plug too.. " He really felt morning sickness with me....
Court, please PM me too about the yahoo group.....

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#132 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 02:39 AM

YEAH! Welcome Harrison!!! Congratulations Mirthfulmum and Dh (and Alias too)

Oh my goodness, you have me so intrigued....you did predict a fast labour I can't wait to hear the birthstory! Congrats, Congrats, Congrats! I am so happy for you! I am so tired and should be in bed but I just KNEW I had to finish reading the thread tonight!

Ashlee, I hope that you are having your turn right now too!

Sending labour vibes to everyone who needs to catch them!!!

So happy birthday to Ann and Harrison!!

Sorry guys, I seem to have gotten a cold and have to hit the sack!

BeansMomma- yep, there is thermosil (gee, my head is too foggy to know if I am spelling this right...in other words Mercury, much easier :LOL) in the flu vaccine....you couldn't pay me to have one but that's just MHO.
#133 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 08:27 AM

: :boypin :

CONGRAGULATIONS!! WELCOME TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD, HARRISON!!!

That was an awesome birth story. Thanks for sharing. I was so excited to get on this morning and read that.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#134 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 08:55 AM

Congrats Mirthfulmom!!!! Can't wait to hear your story, how exciting!!!!! Finally more babies are arriving!!

I can't wait for mine to get here....I want to know what he/she is, what they look like, their name...and I want to be comfortable when I lie down to sleep! I moaned and groaned each time I rolled over last night, and my hips seem to be getting sorer earlier each night! Send some of those labor vibes over here!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#135 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 AM

A little late on on this, but happy birthday Ann!!

Beansmomma, sorry to hear about the GBS+. As far as the flu vaccine goes, I am not getting it. For one thing, the baby will be very well protected by your breastmilk. She may very well be the healthiest one in the family! LOL. I know there were a few times when DH and I both got sick with a cold during the winter, but dd didn't. And, I personally don't think they offer much protection and I would rather get the flu than be exposed to chemicals and other things in the vax.

Ashlee, I hope things went well with labor and you are holding your sweet baby now .

AngelBee, sorry about the false labor, labor staring and stopping and the car problems. I dont' really have any advice for you. Since you aren't due until the 25th, I wouldn't worry about getting things started naturally, but that is just me.

Amie, I hope you get healthy and well soon!

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#136 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 09:15 AM

Welcome to the world Harrison!! Congrats Mirthfulmum, DH, and Alias.

Thanks for sharing your birth story. I loved it! You had a great birth! I love the part when Alias came home and started showing all his toys to his new brother. That was so sweet it made me cry. What a great big brother!

Congrats!!
Carrie
#137 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As far as the flu vaccine goes, I am not getting it. For one thing, the baby will be very well protected by your breastmilk. She may very well be the healthiest one in the family! LOL. I know there were a few times when DH and I both got sick with a cold during the winter, but dd didn't. And, I personally don't think they offer much protection and I would rather get the flu than be exposed to chemicals and other things in the vax.
when i was doing medical lab at the university they have warned us much against flu vaccines...i think its the worst vaccine in the market...here in Japan they give it almost to everyone....they say if u get flu symptoms and u are vaccinated they will be sure its not flu but SARS...

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#138 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 09:26 AM

Great story Mirthfulmom!!! Congrats again....

No flu shot for me either. I had one while pg with DS, my midwife actually recommended it. But I wouldn't go near it last year whie I was trying nor will I ever again probably. Too much yucky stuff we don't need and it's good for our immune systems to get real practice anyway. I think there was a lot of hype last year over nothing. My friend and her son got the vaccine last year and we didn't...they still both got the flu since they didn't have the right strains of flu in the shot (and mind you they could barely afford the shots on top of it all) and no one in my family got the flu. I think the best you can do is keep your immune system sharp, take probiotics etc.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#139 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 09:32 AM

woo hoo Mirthful!!!! Congrats and welcome to Harrison! What a great story!!

Hopefully things are going to start moving now!!

Flu vaccine~ yucky
#140 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 09:41 AM

Welcome little Harrison!!! We have all been anxiously waiting for you. Congrats mirthfulmum and enjoy your time babymooning.

-susan
#141 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 AM

Wow, Mirthfulmum what an amazing experience! It is so cool that your team was really able to rally around you with such short notice. Your life sounds pretty idylic to me right now... I want a newborn too!!

Rest up mama.
#142 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 11:00 AM

39/6

WELCOME TO THE WORLD LITTLE HARRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan: That is a nightmare...stuck in the dentist chair, unable to speak...You probably wanted to jump up, grab the suction hose and suck her dry.
Angela: Thinking of you and the car situation. Hope a solution/fix can be found asap.

I am doing okay here. The farther I get from that bad appt, the better I feel. You guys have been great with your support as have other people I know on/off line. I have decided to ensure that I don't have to see this dr again for the rest of this pg. I found out he is an induction happy guy and very schedule oriented once he does have you "hooked up." Amazing what happens when you ask around and ask blunt questions. I started epo yesterday, don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt and I feel like I am doing something. Haven't really been crampy much the past 24 hours. Oh well. I was telling baby this morning what a slavedriver s/he is to not come and make mamma go into work! Didn't sleep last night. Been very tensed up and my tmj is acting up a bit and my jaw was aching soooo bad I couldn't sleep for a while. I even used some lavender lotion last night which usually knocks me right out!
I'm probably rambling, but I don't feel like working. Gonna be a long day. Thankfully, my boss has said I don't need to stay the extra hour we all work on Thursday! Wahoo!
#143 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 11:08 AM

mirthfulmum, what an awesme birth story!

flu vaccine: i'm allergic to it, but my husband has had it every year for years with no side effects and no flu. we're wondering if he should get it this year even though he's not in an "at risk" group, since i'm at risk and the baby might be? i get the flu 3-4 times a year *bleah*

i have a few weird questions! baby care books and websites of course talk about all of the essential stuff, and i have experience caring for babies 3 months and older. what the books never mention is the little things, though! like, what do you do with your newborns when you're going to the bathroom? (i.e. is it ok to leave them in a safe sleeping area for that space of time? i know i'll be paranoid at first!) is a Maya wrap ok for newborns? (i've read that slings are great after 1 week or 3 weeks, but nothing about at the hospital, or first few days home, for example.) what if i can't sleep without a body pillow and a lot of blankets, is it so relaxing co-sleeping with the baby that you can overcome any other sleep problem? anyway y'all see where i'm going with this? *lol* it's all the stuff that's not written about that is the true wisdom of women

peace,
meli

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#144 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 11:40 AM

Mirthful, oh wow! I'm so happy for you Welcome little Harrison!!!!
#145 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:13 PM

Congratulations Mirthfulmum!! Welcome, Harrison!!

Ashlee - Can't wait to hear how things are going....!

flu vac - I've always had the flu vac every year because I work in a hospital and am surrounded by sickness. I also didn't know/think about the thimerasol until I started researching vacs when I got pregnant. I plan to avoid it for me and the baby now. I guess it would possibly be different if I were returning to work (I'm not) and the baby had to go to daycare. Then there would be lots of missed-work and baby excluded from daycare issues... I figure if the baby gets sick, I'll be home to take care of it anyway, and the flu will be an inconvenience and a little misery, but it only lasts 10-14 days... BTW, influenza is supposed to be pretty "light" this year - not nearly as bad as last year. Something to do with global weather patterns...

Got my Hotsling yesterday!! It's so pretty! It even fits DH and he liked it, too. I'll confess I waited about 2 minutes before attempting to sling both cats and my mini schnauzer. Warning: Only sling the willing (and clawless)!!

OK off to read Harrison's birth story!
#146 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellybean

i have a few weird questions! baby care books and websites of course talk about all of the essential stuff, and i have experience caring for babies 3 months and older. what the books never mention is the little things, though! like, what do you do with your newborns when you're going to the bathroom? (i.e. is it ok to leave them in a safe sleeping area for that space of time? i know i'll be paranoid at first!)

I left DS in his bassinet and he was ok. If I had to shower then I had him in a bouncy seat w/ some kind of musical toy to entertain him. (he would be in the bathroom with me.)

Quote:
is a Maya wrap ok for newborns? (i've read that slings are great after 1 week or 3 weeks, but nothing about at the hospital, or first few days home, for example.)

They are fine to use right away!

Quote:
what if i can't sleep without a body pillow and a lot of blankets, is it so relaxing co-sleeping with the baby that you can overcome any other sleep problem?
It took me a little bit but then I got used to it and all was fine. My adjusment took me about a week and I had him up by me in the middle of me and DH.

Quote:
anyway y'all see where i'm going with this? *lol* it's all the stuff that's not written about that is the true wisdom of women

Just ask away any questions and if you don't have it my lifesaver was The Baby Book by Dr. Sears
#147 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit
Got my Hotsling yesterday!! :love It's so pretty! It even fits DH and he liked it, too. I'll confess I waited about 2 minutes before attempting to sling both cats and my mini schnauzer. [B
Warning: Only sling the willing (and clawless)!![/B]
Nancy- That is too funny! You had me laughing so hard when I read this. Take a picture if you can.

Carrie
#148 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:22 PM

Mirthful - What a beautiful story! I'm so happy for you and your DH and Alias and Harrison!!
#149 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:39 PM

Mirthfulmum- that was so awesome! I am so glad that things went the way they did....what an awesome memory for your family I think it is so cool that your labour pretty much ended up being 8 hs like you predicted!And I know that you are gonna be too tired to get on here much over the next few days but when you are feeling up to it I'm dying with curiosity to know how similar the start was with Alias birth, time of day, etc....something all of us second time moms are probably wondering about

Amelia-thanks for the well wishes, I am feeling quite a bit better today...my throat is just a little scratchy now. Speaking of which, I wanted to add re: the flu vaccine discussion that I have a really good immune system while pregnant and nursing...even though I did catch this cold my symptoms are nothing compared to those around me (people have been sick for 10 days or more) and a day later I am feeling almost fine. So Beansmomma, if you have been noticing good health during your pregnancy it is pretty safe to assume it will continue while you are nursing...and if you do get the flu it should be mild. And one of the problems with vaccines in general is that the mom does not pass on her immunities through breastmilk in the way that she would had she naturally aquired the illness but I am not sure how this works if you had just recently had the flu vaccine. So if you do get the flu the best thing to do is nurse, nurse, nurse and provide the true immunities of the actual strain that you have to your baby.

Meli- I think those answers will just come to you naturally Yes, it is perfectly fine to leave your baby in a safe sleeping area while you go to the bathroom, or bringing your baby into the bathroom with you. As for co-sleeping you will have to just see what works for you I believe...we always continued to use our blanket and pillow, without excess of course and I never felt uncomfortalbe at all about it, I always was aware of where Ember was, etc. I don't think you will have any problems as long as you follow your intuition.

Soogie, blech that denist experience would be enough to have made me start kicking and screaming at this point :LOL

Thia I am glad you are starting to feel better! Everyone has already offered great advise.
#150 of 296 Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM

Oh my-I've only been away for 11 hours and look what I miss!!
Blessings Mirthfulmum and welcome Harrison

MellyBelly-I know what you mean about all the little questions. Most of it you'll just figure out what works best as you go but I asked lots of ?s too. I also just put the babe in a bouncy seat or car seat when I showered-which seemed to be mostly when DH came home those first few weeks LOL
A shower only takes 5min but you'd swear he/she would wake up then so you'd keep putting it off!

Off to read the new birth story!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page