Week of October 11th - Rise and Shine Ladies! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ekatherina - I am having a really hard time urinating, too. Maybe it IS the baby's head? It's like I can't get the flow started. (Sorry if TMI, guys!) I really have to concentrate to go.

I made dh take dd out of the house today. It was rainy and cold, and I felt really bad ordering them out, but I needed some time alone to do some deep relaxing. (They went to the Children's Museum.) I kind of felt like if they left, I could get some "work" done. I feel I am too distracted and stressed and maybe that's why I haven't gone into labor? Is that nuts? I did have a lot of contractions while I was alone, but they petered off eventually - once I started watching the Presidential Debates, I wasn't all relaxed and serene anymore.

My mw gave me this CD of guided imagery to do. I thought it might be really silly, but I kind of enjoy it. It's positive birth affirmations, deep breathing, and visualizing the birth, set to soothing music. I think I may do it in labor if I am really wigging out, cause it relaxes me. Anyone else done anything similar?
#122 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 12:21 AM

: :

Welcome to the world Willow!! Happy Birthday!!! Congrats to you Kathy!! HOORAY!!!

Looking forward to hearing some birth stories!!!

Okay bad pregnancy brain. Hubby was logged in as himself and I didn't relaize it and posted w/ his id! :LOL

Carrie aka Momma2Liam
#123 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 12:22 AM

ah just remembered...Letia, could it be true i dont know......my mom kept on telling me whole pg "don't hang loundry!!! don't put ur hands up!!!....she said she had me with cord over my neck because she had her hands up many times especially during the contractions to make them easier......does anyone knows if this is just another rumor??? hope its not true cause i have been hanging loundry my whole pg......
: or was it Nancy talking about the bus story???

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#124 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 12:25 AM

YAY!! More babies! Congrats to Kathy and Futuremama and families!!! Miles and Willow Miles is such a sweetie

Supposed to have been a solar eclipse tonight...very cool time for our other Willow to make her entrance...sounds very promising, it doesn't look like Meli has been back since she told us she thought she was in labour....sending lots of labour vibes to Meli!!

Piglet- I am glad that you are able to share your feelings with us...Sasha's birth story is just as important as anyone elses!

Sorry there is more to respond to I know but my attention span has wandered.....

Carrie- that's so cool that your Dh comes here too! I wonder how many others do...mine has no interest whatsoever BTW- checked out your pics too...I love the one of Liam and the apple tree

Everytime someone announces they've had their baby I go back and check their prediction...I've noticed that although most have been off with the dates they've all been pretty bang on when it comes to lenght of labour....anyone else notice that?

I think I am the last of the Canadians left to have her baby
#125 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 12:29 AM

Piglet..your birth story is just as special and I am completely amazed at how well you are doing. I had a rough recovery from my c/sec. I really like how you were able to hold him up on your chest... I didn't get to hold Aidan till he was about two hours old You are doing awesome

Mamadance...I think it is wonderful how you handled your sons meltdown. My son Aidan has been extra trying the past couple days and I know he just needs some mommy time. Thanks for the reminder
#126 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 12:39 AM

I'm so glad you sorry forgot who originaly did about worrying baout how in the world they are going to get both to sleep. I was just thinking about this as I was getting Liam to sleep. He doesn't nurse anymore but still needs to cuddle adn snuggle to go to sleep. I was just thinking how in the world am I going to do this if the baby needs to nurse. Liam doesn't like daddy putting him to sleep so I always cuddle with him and have him fall asleep. I was thinking man I might have to pump or something if the baby needs to eat at the same time. This is so nice to know others are thinking about the same. If any of you mommies who just had their lil ones are going through this can you please give us your insight.

Yep I just recently got my hubby into these boards. I told him he'd have a lot better luck finding dads who parent the same way. He's just struggling right now with the challanges of a 2 year old so I suggested come here for ideas/help. Now on the other issues I highly doubt he'd find a lot of similar dads/people on here. He's open minded but not nearly as liberal as me. Leans more towards the conservative side. That's what makes our relationship so intersting.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Carrie
#127 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 01:50 AM

I was so worried about how I was going to get Alias to sleep after Harrison arrived. He no longer nurses but like so many of the other little ones mentioned, Alias needs to be snuggled to sleep, and most nights no one but mummy can do it right. So I of course had no idea how I was going to work out a sleeping arrangement that suited everyone. I remember telling my midwife that I wished that I had breasts on my back so that I could snuggle Alias to sleep while nursing the baby.
Well it's been a week and so far we haven't had any bedtime problems. Bedtime is now a whole family event. Dh, Alias, Harrison and I all go to bed together. I hold/nurse Harrison while Dh and Alias read stories. Then at lights out I either continue to nurse Harrison while Alias snuggles up to my side (he's pretty tolerant of settling for whatever piece of mum is left) or I pass the baby off to Dh and really get a good snuggle with my son. It has yet to happen that Harrison has nursed longer than it takes Alias to fall asleep so there has always been the opportunity to get some good mum/Alias time together.
We'll see how long this works for but so you mommas expecting your second know, there is a possibility to make bedtime work with your older snugglers.

Wanted to add my two cents re. the arms above the head being risky to baby. Having never believed that particular wives tale I didn't give it a second thought when nearly every day I would lift my son, who near the end of my pregnancy was over 30 ponds, up and onto my shoulders when we'd go out to run errands together. Carrying Alias in my shoulders just was the easiest and most comfortable way to carry him with my big belly. And Harrison did not have the cord anywhere near his neck.
#128 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 02:01 AM

Yeah that hands above the head thing is pure wives' tale....

So I'm up bc I just got DS back to sleep (he's in his own bed now for a few weeks, yay!) but I'm here bc I'm thinking this could actually be "it" for me...My pressure waves have slowly gotten a bit stronger and I'm even getting some of the wrap-around effect. I'm going to go try to get an hour or two of sleep just in case, I don't need to be totally wiped out if I can help it. We'll see I guess, could be more false labor, but it feels a lot like the start of it with DS. We'll see in a couple more hours!!! Hopefully a few of you are still up to send me some thoughts and prayers....

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#129 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 02:08 AM

Oh goodness - so many babies. See what happens when I don't log on for an entire 24 hours - I feel like I've been gone a week.

Congrats to all of the new mommas - sounds like everyone is adjusting so well. And lots of support to those of you who are in the early stages.

Me? Not much going on here - I don't even think Little Bean has dropped yet; and I'm 6 days away from my due date. I've been reading 'The Thinking Woman's Guide to A Better Birth' about induction; my doc wants to explore induction at week 41 - ugh. I really think that's too early, so it may be a bit of a fight.

I'm starting to get those frequent calls from friends and family; I know they mean well, but I feel like telling them all to just chill and I'll call when something starts to happen.
#130 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 02:22 AM

Amy-hope this is IT! Sending you positive labor vibes You deserve an easy labor with all you've been through!
Take care
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#131 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 02:25 AM

I missed saying "welcome to the world" to Miles and Willow! I will try to get a chance soon to add the new births to our list. Also want to get a pic of me and Sasha to post to the yahoo group. I have one from his birth that Dh was emailing around, but he's already looking so much more handsome, at five days old, lol.

Had our first "well baby" visit with doc today. I can't get over how cool everybody here is. When the public health nurse visited yesterday I told her I was planning on delaying vaxes and skipping hep B, flu, chicken pox...she was fine. Also thought it was super I was still nursing my 2 year old, and cosleeping with everybody together. Doc today didn't flinch when I said I was not going to give Sasha vit D supplements, but rather try to get him out regularly. This latest fad of having newborns in their stroller/car seat combos with TWO visors pulled down and then a blanket thrown over top for good measure: what is up with that?? Poor babies don't get an ounce of daylight nor anything to look at. No wonder they need vit D!

Well, I overdid it yesterday and paid for it today. Ankles swelled up like balloons, whole stomach and back very sore. I told DH I need to cut way back. He took DD out for two hours this evening so I could nap. Didn't hurt the Red Sox were playing and they have a big TV at the local Bread Garden, lol. He said he felt bad that he wasn't taking better care of me. To be honest, I was sort of feeling that: like why was he letting me do all that yesterday (laundry, making beds, tidying up, etc). Anyways, I also forget to take my meds on time alot and that doesn't help matters. I just want to HEAL so I can get back to LIFE again.

Meantime, Sasha put on 60 grams from yesterday's nurse visit, and 40 from discharge to yesterday, so the worries about the "F word" are gone. Not that I was ever concerned, but it hovered over me - probably my big fear once baby turned out healthy was that I'd be told to supplement. Should remember where I am! Gotta love crunchy BC!

Toddler update: DH has put DD to bed since I came home, continuing with the success they had while I was away. It has been hard, DD asks for me, etc but we just let her stay up until she is tired enough to concede. I'm hoping soon it will become totally expected that he will put her down, b/c it's hard. But I know if I do it once, we'll lose all the progress we made. Who would have thought my little milk junkie would go to sleep with just stories? But she does. So to all you who are worried, it really does work itself out.

Okay, I should be getting to bed now. I'm off to read some birth stories first, then heading to sleep. Hope we have more of it tonight than we did last night, lol.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#132 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 03:27 AM

Ooohhh Amy, hope this is it for you! I was actually coming to post pretty much the same thing...if you don't hear from me tomorrow than it's safe to assume I still don't want to get my hopes up yet, but I am definately feeling different and wouldn't be surprised if things are getting started. Now hopefully I haven't jinxed myself :LOL

Ann- that was very sweet of you to send Katie some wipes

Piglet- Can't wait to see a picture of Sasha You take it easy though Momma....sounds like besides overdoing it yesterday everything else is going really good though. Feeling the BC love here too
#133 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 06:16 AM

...i guess so many of us feel it soooo close now...much much birth vibes to all.......cramps got weaker over the daytime but i keep on losing something yellow discharge all the time...mucus plug is supposed to be pink no? ....
Lucysmama, same here same here...can't urinate...at night feel that i barely can make it to the toilet then i sit down and ...nothing is coming out.......but now very strong pain also...today i mean...i think it's baby's head...
going to some russian restaurant now with dh...and it;s 30 minutes walking till there......
Piglet, take it easy....just enjoy ur babymoon...let your dh do all the work....im preparing my dh for this from now....
ah forgot to say....a freind came and offered to picture video of baby's birth....yay im so excited!!! 70-year old mw, Japan and now video!!!!

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#134 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 09:51 AM

Grrr well I'm still here and pregnant. Mickade had a horrible night, woek up from having some kind of dreams and was hysterical and looking for some green bear or something that doesn't exist : ....I mean he was absolutely hysterical, looking for it in the dark, we turned lights on, then he threw a fit throwing things, wanted to come to our bed, I was uncomfortable there so I came to his bed, he came then cried and went to sleep with Daddy. He hardly slept and had trouble sleeping...at some point he came back to his bed to join me, at about 5:30am I went back to my bed and he stayed in his til almost 8. It was exasperating and anything that was happening was basically halted by all the drama. :

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#135 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 10:31 AM

I really admire those of you who are handling a toddler and a newborn at the same time! What brave, brave women!
Well, I slept pretty well again last night, but still feel tired today. I was up a few times to pee and think I was crampy, but either they weren't very strong or I was so tired I didn't care. A little crampy this morning, but nothing to get excited over. I woke this morning and wondered just why I am dragging my tush to work. I am seriously considering calling in tomorrow. I just can't decide. I do know that after a couple of rough days, I usually have a pretty good day, so tomorrow should be one of those pretty good days. Why not enjoy it being out of the house and all (even if it is at work) since after baby comes I will be pretty home bound since dh will have the car.
Dh totally ticked me off yesterday. It was his second day of work. I know he is working a long day, but he comes home and is done...I'm still prego. Well, he expected me to get dinner together. I was so out of it, I passed out on the couch for 20 min. He was ticked at me for being "moody and emotional" and went into the bedroom where he had an hour long nap. When I woke, I knew dinner had to be started otherwise there wouldn't be enough time for me to digest before going to bed. So I started dinner and got it ready. MEN!!!!!!!
Well, time to get some work done. BBL. Hopefully to hear some more "this is it" posts!
#136 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 11:07 AM

Today is my last day of work and just let me say I am so very happy!
Thia- just think- only one more day! You are such a trooper to be at work and beyond your edd! And I am so sorry to hear that your husband was such a crank last night. Transitions like that can be so tough on a marriage. One thing that I found that helps is a crock pot. Throw some stuff in it in the morning and it's done when you get home. That way you don't have to wait for him
Congratulations KraftyKathy : and welcome Willow-
Lucysmama- I did a lot of meditating and visualisation with my last pg and it seemed to help a lot. It got me in the "Let it all go" mind and kept me more focused on what was really important. I haven't done much with this pg since I have been working but I plan on doing it at least once a day once I am home.

Good luck to all the mamas in labor! Birthing vibes out to all those that want to be

Stacey- WOHM and wife to Jesse- : Athena , Huckleberry : Fiona : Shillelagh : and Calliope
#137 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 AM

Grrr me too : I was able to sleep it off last night so it wasn't the real thing. Had a strange night though and woke up at 5 am this morning. Have an appt. with the midwife this am....like others I didn't expect to have another office visit, oh well Amy, sounds like you had a rough night...hope Mickade gets a good nap in today.

Sunshinegal- Congrats on your last day of work and Thia- only one more day, if you chose to go...you are so close! Sorry about your night last night....I don't even manage to make supper these days and I am a SAHM! Luckily for me DH is working from home these days and he enjoys cooking...otherwise we'd be living off convience foods and takeout.
#138 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 11:48 AM

Oh man Amie I was hoping at least you were having a baby! That way one of us Amy/Amie's would be getting what we wanted. I'm so tired now...but I think I'll take Mickade out to play and for a walk, maybe I can get things started back up since I was still having mild random waves this morning. Though I'm so tired it might not be a good idea, LOL!!! But DH's ship is supposed to leave next week and he'd rather be with them than leave them shorthanded so it would be really really great if things could happen in the next couple days.

Katie -- meant to tell you that that guided imagery should be really helpful. I've been doing hypnobabies (though not enough to be really great at it) and it is a similar thing....affirmations, imagery, guided relaxation...I get sooo relaxed when I listen to the cd's, I just know they'll help at my birthing time. I'm not so sure it will be "pain-free" but I truly believe it will be reduced and that my newfound ability to relax more will make things progress much quicker, I'll be able to work with my body instead of against it.

#139 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 12:04 PM

Sorry to read about your false starts Amie & Amy... I was totally in your boat a week ago when I had false labour but it just took a few hours of rest and non-mommy time to have real labour kick in. Here's hoping you gals don't have to wait much longer.

Congratulations on your last day of work Thia and Sunshinegal! I don't know how you ladies kept making it to work this late into pregnancy. You gals are awesome!
#140 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 02:32 PM

My belly is really sore. I know the uterus is a muscle - it feels like a muscle that is overworked or pulled. Does that make sense? It's weird. Could it just be from all the contracting?

Also, how are your babies? Mine seems to really be slowing down the last few days. Not so much I am worried - I still feel him/her many times per day, but nothing compared to a couple of weeks ago.

Time for another bowl of cereal. I have been seriously craving carbs and carb-loading for a few days. MMMMMM....pancakes and rolls and pasta and oatmeal. Oh, and thanks to whomever mentioned chocolate-covered almonds, I'm sure I've put on an extra pound. It sounded REALLY good, and I bought and ate a ton.
#141 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 02:47 PM

Katie: Interesting what you said about carbs. I too have been craving them for at least a few days now. I guess it is taking a lot more energy to carry our babies and get ready for labor.
About three hours left of work today. I am seriously considering calling in tomorrow. I was crampy for a couple of hours earlier and I just didn't get a thing done. I just wanted to nap. I guess I will see how I feel when I get up tomorrow.
Well, I am off to find some gum. I can't believe I am craving a piece of gum. I normally don't chew it...mmmm, juicy fruit sounds really good. And that has got to be my oddest craving of the past 9 (10) months!
This afternoon I will probably do some writing and maybe color some more on the mandala I have at work here. Depends on how many people are around and how productive I need to look.
#142 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 02:52 PM

Regarding eating carbs, my doula just called me to tell me that I should eat lots of carbs, since your body needs the energy for labor (I was like, uhhh, does chocolate count??) :LOL Anyway, I think craving carbs may be your bodies way of storing up energy for the big event!!

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#143 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 03:48 PM

Did the mw say they counted or not? Don't keep the rest of us in suspense!
Actually, I passed on the gum and went for a sour apple lolly.
Well, the good news is that I feel more crappy by the minute. I guess it could be a good sign anyways. Crampiness comes and goes, uterus sore, tired, bit of a headache coming and going, achy all over especially my back, etc. Out of breath....Maybe I won't have to decide if I am coming to work tomorrow....
Hahahahahahah, a coworker just walked onto the floor, haven't seen him all day, and he did the most hilarious double take to see me still sitting at my desk. I love it! That or I am just really easily amused....
#144 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone! I completely forgot that I was the one who started this thread and thus I needed to update the rollcall! So I just did it now; take a look and see if I made any huge glaring errors. Too many babies in one week! My brain can't handle it! :LOL

I was up all night with lots of crampiness and back pain. It was like one all-night-long contraction. Ouch. I had to get up to use the bathroom every hour, and I also had to vomit a couple times. Finally I got up at 4am to have a snack and sit in the living room. Lying in bed is so uncomfortable, but sitting in a recliner isn't much better.

At 6am DH got up and kept hovering over me asking lots of dumb questions and telling me what to do. "Are you in labor?" "Should I stay home today?" "You need to go back to bed and rest!" : I know I sound like a b*tch, but he was driving me crazy. I've never done this, how should I know what's going on!?! At this point the contractions were irratic (2-5min apart) and lasting a long time, without much resolution between them.

So anyway I called the midwife at 7am to give her a heads up. She said it sounds like prelabor and to get some rest (for some reason it doesn't irritate me when she says it. ) I was able to get back to sleep until 10am, when DH called and woke me up. I convinced him to stay at work cuz this might go on for days.

Contractions are now about 5 min apart and about a minute long. They don't hurt much. Just an uncomfortable tightening and lots of pressure down low. I feel really "constipated", like when I sit on the toilet something should be happening and nothing does... Sorry TMI Maybe it's because the baby's head is so low? My thighs and calves are cramping up too. Don't know what that's about.

OK I've typed a novella. So am I starting labor? I'm not really in a hurry to get things going. I'd planned to clean house all day, but now I don't want to wear myself out in case I have to stay up all night... But I can't stand the thought of having the baby and not getting everything on my list done first...
#145 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I just logged on to the Yahoo site to check out the latest pics, and had to click confirming that I am over 18 years old! Apparently our site is now only for mature audiences. Are our pregancy pictures considered "naughty" by Yahoo standards? :

Ug, MDC is getting sloooooow again... :
#146 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 04:44 PM

Nancy call your midwife right now and let her knowabout your contractions! When they're over a minute long and 5 minutes apart for about an hour it usually means labour has started. And that "gota poop" feeling generally means the head is descending. Definately get a professional oppinion. Better to sound a false alarm than be hit with hard labour when you're all alone!

Good luck and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts today.
#147 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 04:51 PM

Nancy-

Sounds like you might be in the start of things. Try taking a bath see if it helps. It also might help with your soreness. Good Luck and keep us updated if you can. Lucky you if it is. I have the same EDD and nothing going on here! For some good laboring!
#148 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 05:05 PM

ooh, Nancy! Excited for you
#149 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirthfulmum
Nancy call your midwife right now and let her knowabout your contractions! When they're over a minute long and 5 minutes apart for about an hour it usually means labour has started. And that "gota poop" feeling generally means the head is descending. Definately get a professional oppinion. Better to sound a false alarm than be hit with hard labour when you're all alone!

Good luck and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts today.
Don't worry - she knows.

I have a feeling this isn't really "it"... that this could last for days. Shouldn't it hurt more?

Oh eerie coincidence... my FIL (the anti-homebirth M.D.) just called and wanted to know if there was any news/progress. He lives 3000 miles away and hardly ever calls. I lied and said nope everything's status quo...
#150 of 268 Old 10-14-2004, 05:47 PM

Nancy, yay, this could be it! Good luck to you!!!

Welcome Miles and Willow! I need to check out the Yahoo pictures - I know I'll completely melt when I see your beautiful newborns!

Happy work free days sunshinegal and Thia!!! It's about time you're able to just relax! I can't believe you both worked for so long.

I think the hardest thing in my relationship with dh is me having to ask him for help all the time. He helps out whenever I ask, and usually is very nice about it, but it's still so frustrating for me to ask, "can you move this", "can you carry this", "can you do this/that". I'm so used to just being independent and if he doesn't cook dinner, no big deal, I do it. I guess this is just the beginning of the change in the dynamic of our relationship...

Otherwise, absolutely NO news here on the labor front. Nothing. And I just found out my Mom was 3-4 weeks late with her first (if her memory is correct, which is a BIG if). Hmmmm, guess I'll just be hanging out for a while... Should of told everyone my EDD was November, the calls are really annoying even though they're full of good intentions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page