Week of October 11th - Rise and Shine Ladies! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poor DH lingered around the house this morning an hour later than usual, saying, "Are you sure I should go to work today...?" He was so excited thinking today is the day, but it is absolutely not the day. Nothing happening.

OK this is gross and probably TMI, so stop reading here if you're easily disgusted. But last night I woke up choking on vomit. I guess I had started to vomit in my sleep and then gasped at the same time and inhaled it. It was awful. I was coughing for an hour. That's two nights in a row I've woken up vomiting. Yech. I guess that makes me the 1 in 10 million or whatever that aspirates their own vomit, and I wasn't even under general anesthesia.

Letia - My baby is still really active, too. The movements are more controlled and slower, but very strong. S/he loves to stretch the legs waaaay out on one side and wiggle the butt back and forth. The head is engaged, so I don't feel much movement down there, just pressure.

So who's next? I can say with certainty that it's not me! Katie, hope those exercises are working out for you. to all you mamas that are at or beyond your "due dates" and ready to hold your babies.
#182 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakEmber
Just saw something on the I'm Pregnant board that got me thinking....are any of you planning on giving your midwife a gift?? I hadn't even thought about it

http://www.abaxion.com/gai5.htm

I thought about getting this for mine... But we do have to hand her a check of 2,000... Which incedentally is 500 less then she usually charges... I don't know. We're so BROKE!!! Dh got his 2 week check last night, and as of now we have 1/4 of it left to last us 2 weeks! His student loan check is oh about 2 months late..... Oh what to do
#183 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 01:43 PM

Aww Kathy, can't wait to hear your birthstory...sounds like you are doing great!

Mandi- Sorry I just can't seem to find where I came across that..., but I know I was reading a discussion on patterns with gestation length and how if a mom has a different partner then you couldn't go by when she delivered her others. Maybe someone else has a link? I may have come across it in a book sometime during this pregnancy too...I dunno.

Nancy- Argh. That doesn't sounds fun at all, bet it makes you even more eager to just get labor going already!!

Mirthfulmum- such sweet pictures of your boys! Thanks for sharing

Momadance- that is totally cool! Gosh though, I understand the "where is the money going to come from" part of it...and I am lucky because I don't even have to pay for my midwife out of pocket, it's covered by my medical!! With birthdays and Christmas coming up and the fact that Dh is contracting and thus hasn't actually been paid yet for the work he is doing.....
#184 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 02:03 PM

Thia -- I remember that episode, I bring it up often actually....for some reason it stuck with me, it was soooo funny.....

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#185 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Kathy - You sound so happy and blissed-out. I can't wait to read your bab's birth story!

Momadance - Ugh, we are still paying for our homebirth, too. It is $1200 including the AquaDoula rental, so I guess I shouldn't complain - that is much lower than I have heard other mamas paying. We still owe her $800 with no hope of paying it before the birth. We'll get it together slowly, but it sucks to have that hanging over our heads. And you know what really sucks? If I went to the hospital, and had a repeat cesarean, it would cost around $10,000 that the state would pay. But will they shell out $800? Of course not. :

As far as midwife gifts, I have seen a lot of people do framed pictures of their babies and midwife together, and little knickknacks like statues of pregnant women, etc. Those are all really sweet, but my midwife has a zillion around her house. So another thing that I have heard if good is restaurant gift certificates, massage gift certs, etc.... My mom owns a custom-cookie baking business, so I am just going to put in an order for a large assortment to be delivered to my mw's house a few days after the birth.

To the lot of us big-bellied ladies. Dh woke me up today and said, "How do you feel?" I said, "Um....I'm still pregnant, I'm still sore, and I still have to pee." Pretty much sums it up for me.
#186 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 02:14 PM

Personally, I think all those rumors about this or that starting labor are just a bunch of hooey. I am sure if there was a reliable way to get labor started, humans would have discovered it by now. The only thing I have read that I do think is true is that stress can STOP labor or hinder it getting started. I have read that people and animals needs to be relaxed to really labor. But, as far as making it start, I really don't think any of those things really help. I think we will all just go into labor when it is time to, so as long as we make sure we are relaxed and not too stressed, it should be fine. I also really think that the start of labor is genetic, in that if you mother and grandmother went early or late, you are likely to as well. It just seems to me that if you ask people, most people's time when they start labor roughly correlates to when their mom and grandmother started.

But sending get labor started vibes to everyone anyway!!!

As far as gifts for midwives go, well I don't have a midwife anymore, but I wouldn't give a midwife a gift unless they went above and beyond the call of duty (ie. they are working for you for less than normal, they are just doing lots of extra things, making lots of extra house calls, that type of thing). I would just make sure there was lots of food in the house for them to eat during the birth.

I am getting a gift for my doula, but she is working for free, so I really want to get her something. I think I am just going to give her a gift certificate to amazon.com. That way she can get something she really needs and wants, books or whatever. Personally, I always hate it when people give me useless gifts (my MIL is notorious for giving us lots of knick-knacks and things like that, yuck). I would much rather get money or something I really want, so I figure my doula would as well.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#187 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 02:17 PM

Hey mamas. Just wanted to post some positive thoughts to keep y'all hanging in there. I'm sooo in love with my little guy! When I think back to how miserable I was the last few weeks of pregnancy, and now I'm so happy, even though I'm probably getting less sleep now, lol. I just so love everything about having a newborn. He's so easy (can be deceptive, I know), sleeps alot, nurses so well - I've had no engorgement or cracking nipples, etc. It does help so much to be experienced and know what a good latch feels like, etc. This morning DD came in to cuddle with me while Sasha and I were still sleeping. It was so wonderful! I just love having my two kids, and so far the transition has been really uneventful.

Katie, I was so upset to hear about your last appointment. I have been really rooting for you b/c I know how much you wanted to "get it right" this time. I'm hoping those exercises will help: your midwife has such a wonderful track record for VBACs - if anyone can help, she can! Just think, soon you'll be holding your beautiful baby in your arms. OMG, they are just so tiny compared to our toddlers. And I love dressing him in his adorable teeny tiny clothes (okay yeah, it's kind of like having a doll, lol) and his absolutely adorable diapers!

Okay, can you tell I'm high on mommy bliss hormones? You guys will be stoning out with me soon, hang in there!!!

Oh, the wipes question: I have a tupperware container that I make my wipe solution in (a few drops of baby oil, a few drops of Dr. Bronners baby mild soap, a few drops Tea Tree oil and a few drops of Mandarin Oil to give it a nice citrusy scent, all in warm water). I always have about half a dozen wipes soaking in there and when I use one, I just wring it out with one hand. If the water has gotten cold, it doesn't take long to warm in my hands, although I admit all this talk about a wipes warmer has me thinking, with winter just around the corner! Anyways, I keep a pile of dry wipes next to the container and add them as needed. I go through alot of wipes with the two kids so the water gets used up about every 2 to 3 days. I'll change it by then if not. I tried the squirt bottle route at first with DD but never liked it. The wipes couldn't get wet enough for my liking and it was a hassle to squirt, etc. I have taken to packing disposable wipes in my diaper bag since DD rarely needs changing when we're out and the cloth ones were gettting moldy in there (I'd forget about them). When we're out more regularly I may bring cloth again (I just wring out a bunch and put them in a ziploc baggie).

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#188 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 02:26 PM

Piglet-

I am so happy for you that you are having such a great transition! Awesome that breastfeeding is going so well, and that Emily is handling Sasha's arrival so well!

:LOL Apparently we have a lot of lurkers out there reading our thread! : Hi, everyone!!! I got a lot of PMs about how I can help the baby's position, and thank you Lurkers, for all of them!
#189 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 02:34 PM

All I can say is I love my OB. I just asked him today how far past my due date can we go. He said most women will deliver by 41 weeks and if I haven't we will see how everything is doing then and just wait and see from there. I haven't even had an internal!!! I'm so glad I found him he is so natural childbirth friendly and such a nice man.

So onto the pregnacy woes..I can't sleep a darn so big and uncomfortable, DH is sawing logs non-stop. I want a king size bed. I may just say we have to get one and give my sister her co-sleeper back. We all just don't fit well in a queen and there is no room for a twin in our room and I don't think Liam is ready for his own bed but I've thought about it on nights like last.

Thanks for all the tips Moms who have their lil ones now. Very helpful. I guess i'm the oddball of the group. I live for the disposable wipes. I'm just not the type to have the patience to use cloth wipes. I like just having the convience.

Well to all who need it and for labor starting.

Carrie
#190 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 02:35 PM

I added some photos, finally! I sacrificed my self-esteem and chose the family photo where everyone looks great - except me! I was retaining water, it's true, but I didn't think I was THAT bloated in the face, lol. Anyways, there are more pix but I need to download them first...I found these on DH's computer so I grabbed them for now. Loved looking at everyone else's photos too: gorgeous mamas and gorgeous babies!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#191 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked out the latest pics. Ahhhh... everyone's got such cute babies!
Mandi, your belly pic is very cute too. Like an olive on a toothpick.

I look like a big pumpkin these days... rolly-polly. My mom just invited me out for lunch, and I said yes, but I really don't feel like going out in public. I feel like a cow. How's that for a pity party? Feel free to ignore me. Last night I told DH that I feel like a cow, and he said, "But you're pregnant. You're supposed to gain weight." And I said, "But soon I won't be pregnant and I'll just be your big cow wife!" :LOL What a drama queen.
#192 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 03:51 PM

One hour, 40 minutes to go.....
#193 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 03:59 PM

Just back from a doc appointment ... had a 2nd non stress test which was, thank goodness, fine. At my appointment on Wednesday I had my first NST which showed decelerations after each contraction, so I got to spend the rest of the afternoon at the hospital having a biophysical profile (pretty much just an in depth ultrasound) and another NST. Fortunately that last round of tests were positive, and I was able to go home. But we were preparing for the worst, which would have been being induced that night, or having a cesearean.

I'm almost at 41 weeks, and while my doctor is being very respectful of my desire to let things take it's course, she's concerned b/c my cervix is still very high and closed, as well as that one questionable NST. And then the whole VBAC issue. *sigh* I go back for another NST and biophysical on Monday, and if things still look good, she says I have until next Friday or Saturday and she'll be wanting to induce. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things kick into swing before then.

Even though my cervix still isn't showing many signs of ripening, I've been having lots of BH contrax. , as well as continued crampiness, and lots of gooey, bloody mucous today, so I'm trying to be optimistic.
#194 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 04:31 PM

just a quick post after playing catch up on reading the thread since our cable modem went down for a couple days.

wanted to send everyone who wants them warm labor wishes and cuddly thoughts to those with new babes already!

things here are good. you ladies are awesome.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#195 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 05:31 PM

Piglet..you are a beautiful family

Bluehalo...sending you cervix dilating and softening vibes I hope all continues to go well and you get your vbac.

Thia...hope you had a wonderful last day at work. Maybe now since you will have more time to relax, your baby will take its cue and come and relax in your arms

Someone brought up cloth wipes.. well I just switched to them a couple months ago and I love them!!! They clean up so much better. I just wet mine with a water and lavendar oil mix that I have in a spray bottle. I do use disposables on the go, but I much prefer my cloth.

As for going to the hospital, I only live a couple blocks away, but since I am attempting my second vbac and babe is really low my dr. wants me to come in fairly soon after I know that labor has started. So I will labor at home, till they start to get uncomfortable and close and then maybe waddle my butt up there.

Katie...hope you babe gets back into the optimal position.
#196 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 05:42 PM

Amie, thanks for looking into that. I think I remember something similar about a woman with children with different partners starting labor at very different times with each one. Darn! I was hoping it was more something like "if the man thinks baby thoughts non-stop for a day, he'll release a hormone that would cause his wife to begin labor..." That would be awesome! I'd be talking baby stuff to him every 2 minutes, calling him at work, following him to the store, whispering baby thoughts to him, lol!

I think you're right Amelia, if there were something that instantly started labor, we would have found it by now!

Christine, you still have time! Remember your body knows when the right time is, not your dr. Maybe you should get a trampoline?

Thanks for the "olive on a toothpick" comment on my belly, Nancy! Maybe it's just me, but I like that image much better than comments like, "wow, it looks like someone came along and just, POP, stuck a basketball on you! woah, how can you stand up straight!?" Somehow an olive seems much nicer than a basketball! lol!
#197 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 06:02 PM

HI mama's congrats to all you new mama's........ I am a lurker who is waiting to find out what amy trueblue has....... I have been talking to her online for about 2 years now....... so back to : I go...
#198 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 06:06 PM

Emma Grace is here!
7 lbs, 19", she was born 11:54 pm on Wed, Oct 13th. Pretty fast labor and birth...my water broke at 5pm (all over the couch), cntrx started around 7-ish, serious labor started around 9:30 (as soon as Hannah left for her "big girl slumber party"), and Emma came into the world just before midnight, after about 20 min of pushing.
I haven't yet posted my birth story, or any pics...but I'm hoping to soon.
So, I'm behind on all your posts and any other babies that may have arrived. I'm trying to catch up, but this is my first moment alone at the 'puter since Wed afternoon.
#199 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 06:16 PM

: :

Welcome to the world Emma. Congrats Krnflwr!! Hope you are enjoying your babymooning time. I love the name you choose for your daughter. Congrats Big Sister Hannah and Daddy too!
Can't wait to read the birth story! Sounds like you had a great birth.

Carrie
#200 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 06:21 PM

: Emma Grace

Congratulations Karin! Can't wait to read about the birth!
#201 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 06:49 PM

What a beautiful name!!! Welcome to the world Emma Grace!

Well ladies, I did it. I am home. I didn't walk out of work, I floated. Now, well, I've kind of crashed, but that is allowed! Now it is time to rest, rest, rest.
#202 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehalo
Just back from a doc appointment ... she's concerned b/c my cervix is still very high and closed
FYI-my cervix was tight and high and very posterior, too. Each time the mw checked it the past few weeks, and actually up 'til when I was 5-6 cm dilated, they found it to be "unfavorable". The OB nurses had the hardest time doing my internal checks 'cuz it was so far posterior.
But I went from 6 cm to 10 cm in less than 1 hr, and Emma was born about 1/2 hr after that. Anyway, just wanted to share that your cervix's "label" doesn't necessarily mean labor is that far off.

And, I went to the hospital about 2 hrs after my water broke, even though I wasn't really feeling like I was in serious labor yet. Mostly went 'cuz my mom, who is here visiting, and DH were starting to freak out a bit, and then the doc called to ask me what was going on, and told me to head over ASAP. Basically I was bossed into going, but it turned out okay. But if my water wouldn't have broken, I would haven't thought was I was feeling at that time was real labor, and would not have gone in 'til things got more serious.
Part of me is glad I went in so early, for I would have hated having to travel, drive, park, negotiate the hosp, etc..in serious labor. It got so intense so fast.
#203 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 07:28 PM

Happy Birthday Emma Grace!! Congragulations Karin

:

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#204 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

: :

Congratulations Karin! Welcome Emma Grace!!

Wow we have some fast birthers here! Water breaks at 5pm and baby by midnight...

So I guess I still could have the baby today, huh? This was DH's prediction day, and also the day I dreamt I told the baby I'd see it. (When I unzipped it from my belly and said, "See ya in six weeks!" and then put it back. :LOL Oh, yeah, and it was a baby elk, too. Maybe dreams aren't actual predictions... )
#205 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 08:49 PM

Congratulations!!!! Welcome Emma!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#206 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 08:59 PM

Welcome to the world Emma Grace!!!

:

Congratulations Karin! Wow, that WAS quick!!! Can't wait to hear more, but enjoy your babymoon first!
#207 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 09:11 PM

: another baby born! I was :LOL at the water breaking all over the couch! I was thinking about that the other day....maybe I should put something under me....

According to my chart this is the day....baby doesn't know that and I've gotten more voice mail messages today....:LOL

Karin! :
#208 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 10:37 PM

Did you see Melibean had her baby too?? Her DH posted. Congrats Melibean!!

#209 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf
Did you see Melibean had her baby too?? Her DH posted. Congrats Melibean!!
I missed it where is the good news posted???
#210 of 268 Old 10-15-2004, 11:20 PM

Yay! Two new babies!! Congrats Karin....Emma Grace is a beautiful name Can't wait to hear your birthstory!!

And I knew it! Yippee Meli and Dh (how awesome of him to post the news)....welcome Willow!! Now I gotta head over to read the birth announcement!!

Oh guys...you gotta go read Kathy's birthstory (it's a novel)

Piglet- What a beautiful family you have...and happy one week to Sasha...it's so hard to believe that he's already a week (and that we are hearing so much from you...you are recovering so fast from your c/s).

For those who haven't found Meli' story it is on the main Oct. board. She ended up with a c/s after 31 hrs, I know she soo wanted it natural....we should all send her our s and much healing vibes for a speedy recovery.

Oh and I just had to share something funny that Ember said today to me....she thinks I should just give my labour to someone else :LOL?? What a sweetie to worry about me...I guess I was WAY off in thinking that she could be there for it, not sure how this fear of labour was instilled in her.

Oh and Piglet and Mirthfulmum...have you seen the controversy happening in Kelowna regarding Dr. refusing to see patients after they have chosen to have a midwife? : Anyway, that's MY midwife that's been on the news

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page