week of October 18....who's birthday is *this* week? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
woo-hoo!!! more babies are on the way!!! i can't wait to hear from amelia and susan!!!!

tomorrow willow will be one week old. midwife is coming out to visit. looking forward to seeing how much she weighs.

i used lanisoh too and it really helped for nipple soreness, as well as making sure the baby's mouth is nice and wide when taking in the nipple. all of my kids wanted to pull their lower lips in too tight when learning to nurse. owie!

i'll be peeking in later to see if there is any news!

kathy

kathy::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 05:53 PM

Katie- I almost always think of you when they talk about Ohio on the news as a battleground state...since you're the only person I "know" in Ohio. BTW - I had a dream last night that you had your baby, I think, it's kinda fuzzy now. I dreamed about babies all last night...and ofcourse my baby turned into a kitten.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#63 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 06:41 PM

:LOL What is with these kitten-babies? I keep dreaming about kittens, too.

Speaking of Ohio... DH went to grad school in Ohio and just loves that state. Whenever someone mentions Ohio, he gets this far-away dreamy look on his face. And then he usually says, "You know what you don't have out here? Thunderstorms. I mean real thunderstorms. I miss thunderstorms." It's gotten to the point that as soon as I hear, "You know what..." I cut in and say, "Yeah yeah yeah we don't have thunderstorms. Got it." :LOL He always looks surprised that I know what he's going to say. Men are so goofy.

OK I am such a dork. I just now realized we have two Willows! I just looked at Meli's pics and thought, "Wow Willow doesn't look nine pounds...?" But it's Kathy's Willow that is nine pounds. Meli, your little Willow is so precious! You all look so happy.

Piglet, I forgot to comment on your family picture. Emily looks like quite the little personality. She actually looks a lot like me when I was that age. (Cute, if I do say so myself! )
#64 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 06:47 PM

Yay! It was soo exciting seeing two that two of us are in the process of having thier babies right now!!

This is about my third time lurking today, I just haven't gotten a chance to reply yet.

Argh...I don't envy you guys down there with all the people coming to your houses and phoning right now, it's bad enough putting up with that from family but to have that happening in regards to politics in this condition : I totally think you should do as mentioned and put a sign up saying "new mom resting" or something along those lines!

Meli- Willow is sooo beautiful and looks sooo sweet all snuggled up in the sling. Oh I can't wait to use mine too! And you are looking great too! Sounds like there was already lots of good suggestions for you about the engorgement...I just wanted to say that it (should be) over with soon, I remember it only lasting for about 4 days to a weekish, which I know sounds like a long time to you right, everything is always better in hindsight. All I really did is have hot showers and hand express a little to take the edge off.

So I have an appt. tomorrow morning and I am thinking that I might request a sweeping of the membranes : or maybe just a strech and sweep, I will be 40 weeks the next day and according to my u/s (early one mind you which is supposed to be more accurate) I have already passed that mark. My reasoning is that since we are already down in Kelowna I might as well see if we can't get things started I know, I know...the convinience factor cop-out...but it will be about a 4 or 5 hour round trip and I'd hate to get home and have to turn around and drive back (it's about 1 and 15 mins each way, then the appt., lunch, Costco...). It's something that I just feel isn't invasive enough to start labour unless it's time anyway, so I figure I will have my appt., have my cervix stimulated a little, grab a bite to eat, then walk around for a few hours and if nothing is happening head home. Or not, we'll see how I feel in the morning about it. Just wanted to throw that out there and see what kinda reaction I get, I do value your opinions (probably a bit too much according to my Dh )
#65 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 PM

Amie- I'm gonna go ahead and let the midwife stimulate my cervix tomorrow too...a little stretch and sweep. I see it the same as you - it wont cause labor if we're not ready...and my mw said the same. I don't think it's quite as risky as stripping (at this point in our pregnancy). So, you wont hear me trying to dissuade you

The laborade tastes really good by the way.

#66 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 09:58 PM

OK the suspense is killing me..... I can't wait to hear news from Susan and Amelia! (Where's the "chewing finger nails" smilie when you need one!)

BTW, I had my first, "Did you have the baby yet?" call today. As in, the first time someone actually used that phrase. And it was my mom. She lives about five minutes away and we talk every day. I asked her if she really thought I'd have the baby, her first grandchild, and forget to call her.
#67 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 10:04 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've been lurking alot. I'm on here whenever I'm up at night feeding Sasha, I just don't like typing one-handed, lol...I'm so excited for amelia and susan - can't wait to read more birth stories! I so don't blame those of you who are sick of being pregnant. I'm so glad I'm not. It's only been 11 days since the birth, but it all seems miles behind me now. It's true, I do sleep much better now, even with four in our bed!

We had a doc appt today and Sasha is doing brilliantly. He's 7 lb 11 oz now. Birth weight was 7 lb 8 oz. He's gained 11 oz since our appt last week. Jaundice is almost gone, doc says he looks fantastic. Good ol' mama's milk! He's been nursing alot the last couple of days. He's a real boob man!

Went for another walk today, this time took both kids. For all my wonderful intentions, I'm wondering how long I can manage one in a stroller and one in a sling, especially if I'm grocery shopping etc. I just LOATHE double strollers, but I see one in my future. :-( If I'm out with just Sasha, the sling is great. But it's not easy when I'm pushing a stroller too. I'm hoping I'm just out of shape and it will improve with time (and recovery) but I'm feeling depressed b/c I just really, really wanted to avoid a stroller for Sasha. Emily didn't have one until she was almost 8 months old and it was no problem. But then I didn't live within walking distance of everything, either.

Like mirthfulmum said, I'm finding having 2 is not the horror show everyone said it would be. I plan ahead and so far manage to make it out the door on time for things, though I start well in advance, lol. I always have the diaper bag packed: I restock it whenever we get home. I think that helps alot. Still, I'm amazed at how much crap I have to lug around with me, lol. Anyways, I've had a couple of moments where I cried a little bit. Probably hormones. Feeling guilty when DD needed me and I couldn't be there. But those times have been pretty few and far between. I also feel guilty that Sasha spends alot more time out-of-arms than Emily ever did. He's in his bassinet alot, though I try to hold him as much as possible and DH holds him for me, too. Thank goodness for cosleeping, too. I love snuggling with him at night!! But you know, I think it's hard to get away from mommy guilt under any circumstances. I'm doing the best I can, and I guess I just have to be happy with that.

Okay, good labour vibes to our leaking mamas, and swift labours to the rest of you in waiting. Katie, I'd be going insane by now were I you: we all thought you'd be one of the first! Hang in there, mama...you know it will all be worth it!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#68 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 10:53 PM

Piglet- I am worried about Oakley spending more times out of arms too...but then again I am glad to hear that both you and Kazia are finding the things that you were so worried about with having two just aren't. And I do believe, like you said, as Mommies we have to find something to worry about! WTG (grow) Sasha Sounds like he is doing awesome!

Court- Oh good, safety in numbers, LOL! Wouldn't it just be so cool though if we actually ended up with our due date buddies being birthday buddies?? Glad to know we are on the same wavelength I've been having so many contractions that I wonder if anything is gonna spark tonight and I won't even have to worry about doing that tomorrow, but then again, as you know it's nothing new :LOL Actually though, they are picking up in intensity so that's a good sign. If my cervix was a washcloth (LOL) it feels as though someone is trying to ring the water out of it (I bet that's the first time anyones heard that analogy :LOL).
#69 of 252 Old 10-19-2004, 11:29 PM

Hi ladies! The excitement is too much! Still checking in regularly, just not always typing. Congrats to new mamas, labor vibes to those who have started, and patience to those who haven't yet!

Not a whole lot going on for me, just three days away from EDD. But, today my OB said, "Don't get discouraged! You could go to bed tonight and wake up two hours later in full-on labor with no warning whatsoever." Made me feel better. (That's the way it went for mom and sis.)

Still working...People in see me in the hallway and just shake their heads at me. It's funny. I just can't sit at home right now...The other day a little first grader wanted my attention, so he stood there and gently tapped my belly with his pencil until I looked at him. Gotta love it.

No political people stopping by our house way out here in the sticks, thank goodness! The last thing I'd want to deal with - sorry some of you have to. :

Gotta go lay down for a bit. To use mellybean's perfect term, the baby is "corkscrewing" around down there...yowza that feels funny!

Oooh, gotta share one little proud moment for me...told mom and dad not to jump in the car immediately when we call (to drive from WI to CO,) that dh and I want just a few days to be home alone and bond as a family. They were totally cool about it! Why do I worry so?

This got a little too long. It's funny, I feel like since I don't post regularly, I should keep it short...I dunno, weird cyberspace etiquette or something...

PS Thanks for the wipes advice, I needed it!
#70 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 12:35 AM

Amelia and Susan ... thinking of you guys!! Good luck

Meli ... I'm sorry about the engorgement ... I was fortunate never to have too much problem w/ that w/ Ethan ... it sounds *so* uncomfortable

Mirthful, so glad to hear that things are smoothing out for you ... this is our first night home, and bedtime went pretty well, except that right when I was dozing off Noah started squeaking and rooting around again (this child wants to nurse *constantly*! It's amazing!) and he wasn't happy w/ the side lying position ... so here I am in front of the computer with him finally sacked out on the Boppy after another long nursing session.

Well, we actually *are* home today ... I was thrilled that my doc let me come home so early ... but, I passed all the "tests" (passing gas, peeing w/o the catheter, etc.), and she has a 5 yo Dd, so she appreciates that it will be much easier for me to chill and take it easy at home than to be seperated from DS and be stuck in the hospital just waiting 'till I can make it home. I did have to swear up and down that I'll take it easy, and I truly intend to! We were able to post from the hospital w/ dial up (DH brought the laptop, whan can you expect, he's a computer geek )

I'm going to go try to post at least a quickie version of the birth story before attempting to transition Noah back to the bedroom...
#71 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome Home Christine-glad you're home safe and sound! And yes-take it easy-no housework or anything for you mama!

Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#72 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 02:49 AM

I am having good, strong, painful contractions. Don't know whether to call my MW or not, though....I have had so much pre-labor crap. These feel different. They hurt! But they are still 7 minutes apart.....definitely ouchy, though. I have to concentrate to get through them, especially at the peak.

I'm tired but I am afraid to go to sleep - that always makes them stop!

I suppose if it is REAL labor, they won't stop and I won't be able to sleep? Does that sound right?

<-----This is me.
#73 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Katie-you better have called your m/w already! I'm sure we'll be hearing baby news from you soon! Happy labor vibes!

Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#74 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 05:04 AM

Katie, I hope you called your mw too! Keep us updated. I really hope this is it for you.

I can't stop checking this board tonight, I want updates! I'm so impatient.
Nursing ds earlier tonight started some nice frequent contractions, and they're still going. I also went for a really nice walk earlier. I'm sure it'll be like every other night, I'll fall asleep and wake up still pregnant. Oh well.

Welcome home Christine! I just read your birthstory...so sweet about looking over your 3 boys. I'm gonna have 3 "boys" too. I can't wait. I'm glad you came away from the experience with such a positive outlook, even though it wasn't exactly as you'd planned. How great that you got to come home so early!

Good to hear from you Jenny!

And Go Red Sox! Dh is a Boston native, so we were on pins and needles tonight watching the game. Actually took my mind off of having the baby for a couple hours. Keepin my fingers crossed for them in game 7 tomorrow.

#75 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 05:33 AM

katie!!!!!! i hope this is it for you!!!!

yes, go sox!!! we lived inn boston for abouy a year - dd was born there. can't wait to see the game tomorrow!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#76 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 05:46 AM

Katie ... thinking of you!! I'd at least try to get some rest if I were you ... if it starts to have a serious impact on your labor pattern, you can always get up again, if that feels right to you ... but I think it's worth a try...

I'm *lol* at this baseball talk ... my DH is from Houston, and Houston is in the other half of the playoffs (I'm so out of the sports loop, I don't know off the top of my head which set of teams is from the National League and which is from the American... duh!) ... anyway ... he was so tickled to be at the hospital last night and watch baseball. We don't have TV, so it was a real treat for him. Althought the Houston game was pretty boring. He enjoyed the drama of the Sox/Yankee game though!

and OT, but OMG, sorry for all the typos in my birth story Must be hormones, but I'm too lazy to edit :LOL
#77 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 10:26 AM

The most amazing day of my life! Jillian was born last night at 7:30 and guess how large she is – 9 lbs 14oz!!! Everyone kept wondering where I hid her! I’ll post a birthing story in a few days, but in short, I woke up at 9:00AM with contrax (I actually woke up earlier, posted here, then went back to sleep) I thought were just braxton hicks, but were slightly painful. At 10 I started timing, and they were 10 min apart. My dh and I walked around the neighborhood, did some things around the house to keep my mind off them until they were 5 minutes apart. Then I got in the bathtub at home and LOVED how relaxed I became! Arrived at birth center at 4:30, now 3 min apart. I was 5 cm! By 7 PM I was 10cm and started pushing. And a half hour later, our beautiful daughter was born!!! I gave birth in their birthing tub – it was so much easier to relax in there. I did tear and had some stitches (Jillian came out with one hand on her cheek). The frozen pads soaked in witch hazel are wonderful! Thanks for the idea! We went home around 1AM and had a tiresome but relaxing night. She's sleeping in her Dad's arms right now.

Much love to all you Mamas! I can’t tell everyone how much it means to me to have you all. I’ll post more later. Right now I’m in new Mommy heaven! The wait, discomforts, and anticipation is nothing compared to looking into our sweet daughter's eyes!
#78 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 11:16 AM

: : Congratulations Mandi!!! : :

How exciting! It's great that you were able to come home so quickly afterwards. Hope you're getting lots of rest and enjoying time with your new family.

I've been awake all night. I cannot sleep. I finally got up at 4:30 am and guess what - lost the whole plug! It really was gross-looking, I must say.

Anyway, I wanted to get online to check to see who's had babies, and my internet connection was down for an hour and a half! What a bummer! So I played solitaire instead.

I think today may be the day. Just a feeling... Having lots of contractions and feeling especially crampy.

I'm trying to decide if I should make myself get some rest, just in case (might stop things though), or get to work finishing up last minute projects... hmm... First maybe I'll get some breakfast.

Oh, BTW Mandi, I read through your post about "Should the inlaws stay with us?".... and I think you made the right decision. Is the plan still to wait a week or so before having them over?

Those of you who've been through this before.... when is a good time to allow guests. I'm afraid my siblings, BIL, friends and neighbors will want to crowd over and see the baby ASAP. What are some good guidelines? I'm most worried about:
1. Establishing breastfeeding. And I don't feel comfortable being topless in front of anyone but DH (or midwives, etc.), and
2. Cold and flu season is starting. I don't want a bunch of people touching my baby and giving us a cold before his/her immunity is built up a bit. Is that paranoid?
#79 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 11:35 AM

Wonderful news Mandi - you certainly do sound like you are in new mama heaven! Congrats on your sweet baby girl.

I'm also checking in regularly even though I'm not getting a chance to post much. I'm eagerly wating to hear from Beansmama and now Lucysmama too! Anyone else?? Can't wait
#80 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mandi Mandi!!!!!!!!!! : :
I can't believe it!!! you didn't seem like going into labor at all... im so so happy for you....can't wait to see pictures of your wonderful daughter...
Nancy, congratulations for losing your mucus plug......im thinking about breastfeeding issues too...especially here in Japan noone seems to breast feed in public....
birth vibes to everyone in labor......and katie and nancy i hope this is the day for you...
here still all the same...have been reading all the posts but was in such a bad mood to post myself... dh said i remind him of barber shop...because i sit and wait wait wait...
things seem a little bit more intense now...but no contractions just intense cramps...what is this two-weeks pre-labor??? ...can it be for so long???

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#81 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 11:39 AM

: :

Welcome to the world Jillian!! Congratulations Mandi!
#82 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 11:42 AM

Congrats Mandi!!!!!!

Nancy, now you are going to leave me behind and have that baby aren't you??? LOL j/k I'd take it easy if you are tired; if not, go ahead and do some last minute stuff and keep yourself busy. Just be sure to lie down for a nap in a few hours if nothing has started up. As far as visitors go, gosh I let everyone come over when DS was born. But then again I lived in CA and everyone was on the East coast....but for a month straight I had overnight guests and overall I loved it bc they were so helpful!! I never had to sit around topless to nurse or anything, I just lifted my top and hooked him on. But everyone has their own comfort levels...but as a breastfeeding advocate I usually push everyone to nurse in public as much as possible! : : As for germs...just make sure everyone washes their hands well before they hold your baby, and if anyone appears to be coming down with something, feel free to ask them to come back later or keep them away from your baby. I really think most people will understand.

Go Katie Go!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#83 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 11:56 AM

Wow Amy, your friends and family must be much more helpful than mine. I think most people I know will offer to "help" by holding the baby so I don't have to. (If I didn't want to hold my baby, I wouldn't have gotten pregnant!)

I'm thinking of making a Post-Partum Plan listing some ground rules that I'll leave it to DH to enforce. As in, no visits more than 15-20 minutes. Anyone staying longer than 20 minutes better 1)bring a meal, or 2)start cleaning, or 3) take the dogs for a walk. Is this rude?

The breastfeeding issue is more to do with the learning curve. Once we figure things out I am more than willing to breastfeed anywhere, anytime. I look forward to stirring up trouble in public. (Although it seems unlikely it will cause much fuss here in Portland.)

But while I'm still learning, I just don't want to have to "make nice" and visit. I also don't want anyone staring at me while I fumble to get it right. And I especially don't want any unsolicited advice about bottles and formula and pacifiers... or breastfeeding, for that matter. Wow, I sound really defensive, don't I? :LOL
#84 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 12:10 PM

Nancy- Congrats on loosing the rest of your plug. If you go before me i'll be jealous. (just teasing)

For those who are worried about nursing in public. It took me a few months to feel comfortable then once I got to that level I just nursed Liam anytime anywhere. Slings help a lot too.

Oh not to sound like an advertisement but if anyone want a maya wrap style sling my doula makes them really inexpensive and donates all the money to charity that helps young moms and kids. I can't really afford to buy a maya since I just bought a hotslings pouch so I'm getting her to make me one. If anyone is interested just let me know and i'll pass along her info. I hope I don't offend anyone by posting that info. I just wanted to share it because I know some of us are slings addicts and can't afford the cost of them. Like me!

Well 4 days and counting til the big EDD! Not much going on as far as contractions. I have to remeber to keep tkaing my EPO it really seemed to help get some contractions going.

Piglet- What are you doing to treat Sasha's jaundice. Liam had it when he was born and they had him on a phottherapy blanket at home for a good month. It took awhile for hsi jaundice to go away. Just wondering if #2 might have it if I want to go that route again. It was such a pain becuase I couldn't wake him up to nurse!

Cloth diapering question for the new mommas or all of you who have done it since birth w/ your lil ones. I like the prefold and cover option. Can you for newborns/infant size still fold the prefolds lengthwise in thirds and just palce it in the cover or are the poopy blowouts too much and you need to wrap the diaper around them more?

WEll I have to go. Happy laboring to all!
#85 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 12:25 PM

nak...

jaundice: didn't have to do anything except nurse regularly. breastmilk is best treatment. and expose baby to some daylight through window or out for walks. its very normal and my ped wasn't concerned since he was nursing so well...she said she'd have waited at least a week before interventions were discussed. i'd stand your ground and make them hold off a bit, give your milk a chance to do its thing.

cloth: i cannot get over how much pee comes ouy of such a tiny babe. my prefolds are next to useless. thank goodness for my fitteds! but as for the poops, not explosive yet (just very frequent) so a tri-folded prefold in a wrap would work fine for that.

mandi: congrats on your big, beautiful girl!!

katie: you are in my thoughts so much!!

#86 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 01:28 PM

: Jillian

Congratulations Mandi!!! Sounds like you had an amazing birth. I can't wait to read more.

Go Katie! Go Nancy! : Hope this is it for you two!

Oooh I am just on pins and needles here... it looks like we finally got a baby rush on! I hope all is going well for Amelia and Susan and they are snuggling their little babes right now.

Good for you for getting home so fast Christine. Great picture of Noah, he looks gorgeous!
#87 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 01:43 PM

I forgot I wanted to respond to Nancy's visitors question...

YOU are the mom and YOU decide what you are comfortable with. It is not unreasonable to not want to be learning to nurse while having an audience stare and possibly critique your methods. I was pretty uncomfortable nursing Alias at first. It took about 6 weeks before I really felt like the 2 of us knew what we were doing and I could nurse in public without feeling compelled to cover up.
And I am a firm believer in the policy that baby visitors in the first week or so should bring food or a willingness to help with a house hold chore. Bringing a new baby into your home is a wonderous, magical and yes, stressful event. You are not being rude by asking your friends and family to give a little helping hand as your new family discovers each other and bonds.
#88 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 01:43 PM

Congratulations Mandi!!! It sounds like your birth was so peaceful and smooth, how wonderful! Can't wait to see pictures of your new sweet one
#89 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM

Yippee on the babes! Beautiful birth stories!

Katie I hope we haven't heard from you because you are birthing

Nancy~ I loved when I passed my plug. It was the grossest thing, but so cool! I know it's exciting!

Heading to the chiro today. My arm and hands are bugging me. I'll have him do some trigger points. Maybe he know's some tricks of the trade to get me going...His massuse know's some feet rubbing tricks I may get her to show my sis.
I was so excited to know that I was dialated to 3, but now I'm on pins and needles waiting for the day Reed chooses to join us. DTD hasn't helped much, haven't had a chance to in 2 days because of company. Maybe on dh's lunch break....

Befor I hit the chiro I think we'll go out for some spicey thai food, at this point I'm into all the wives tales

Miles was born on his 9th day over due...

#90 of 252 Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM

Didn't have the baby yet, still contracting.... Dh stayed up with me a lot of the night and helped me thru the hardest contractions, which did require heavy concentrated breathing. I fell asleep around 5am but was woken up with contx all morning. I just got up now (11:30) and while things are slower than they were when I went to bed, I am pretty sure they will increase again with some activity. Off to the pool.

Just wanted to keep you posted! CONGRATS, MANDI and welcome, baby Jillian!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page