Ack!! Measuring large.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the mw's yesterday and had my first appointment with the youngest of my four midwives. When she measuring my fundal height it measured at 35 (I am currently 27.5 weeks pregnant).

With my pregnancy with Rhys I consistently measured 2 weeks larger than my dates but my dates for Rhys were determined by dating u/s (so they were "soft" IYKWIM).

The mw said not to worry too much because depending on how the baby is lying the fundal height can be very different...but I can't help wondering if I am large for dates at my next appt (in 3 weeks) if I will be pressured to have an u/s (haven't had one yet and honestly wasn't planning on it).

Anyone else measuring large for dates (or has in the past) and ended up with a normal sized baby and no additional problems? I have only gained 8.5 pounds this pregnancy so far so its not like I am packing on the weight KWIM?

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#2 of 19 Old 08-13-2004, 01:36 AM

I think FH is generally not a good predictor of size.

I always measured right on, never ahead, and had a 9.5-pound baby. The OB actually predicted I'd have a 6.5 pounder. lol. I did gain 65 pounds.

This time I'm again measuring right on. I have no idea what size this baby will be. I have gained 31 pounds so far at 25 weeks.

Sometimes there are other reasons for measuring ahead, like extra fluid, etc. But unless your midwife is concerned, I wouldn't worry about measuring large.
#3 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 10:06 AM

I wouldn't be concerned. Both my mw's said that FH at this point just lets them know that your babe is growing well, but isn't really that accurate until later, like after 33 weeks. Your baby could have been hanging out at the top of your uterus, and if your bladder was full, that'll add inches to your belly. I don't think it will warrent an u/s if you don't want one.
#4 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 11:22 AM

I used to always measure big, until my midwife's asst. figured out that my pelvic bone is quite high..now I am only measuring about a week ahead instead of 2-3 weeks ahead..way to go assistant! I was pressured last time to have an early U/S because of fundal height and because my babies are wrigglers and getting their heartbeats isn't very easy..of course, I freaked out since I'm older that I was having twins and in we went..Elijah is not a twin

good luck!
#5 of 19 Old 08-15-2004, 05:10 PM

I always measured a week ahead with DS and this baby. I actually ended up having DS a week "late" and he was average sized -- 8 pounds even. I gained a total of 40 pounds with DS and 15 pounds so far (25 weeks) with this one.
#6 of 19 Old 08-15-2004, 05:51 PM

Sorry to barge in on your November club... but I saw your thread and had to respond.

I measured right on with my first pg. With this one, my first OB visit at 14 1/2 weeks showed a FH of 23!! Four days later on u/s it was confirmed I am having twins. I have consistently measured 9-11 cms ahead this entire pregnancy. All the moms I know who measured more than 4 cms ahead in FH are expecting twins or more.

But here's a tip: If you want to have a natural, even home birth, free of interventions, etc., please play ignorant and let the second baby be a surprise at delivery. Unless of course you have complications later on. But your chances of having two healthy babies and a nice normal (though more intense) pregnancy are pretty high, especially with good midwife care. I wish I had let my intuition that I was having twins be my little secret and been able to have a nice relaxing home birth. The docs just want to poke and prod and have you deliver flat on your back with a GIANT belly (ow) with IVs and epidurals. It's tough to stand your ground.

I hope you are having twins, because it's such a blessing, but don't feel pressured to have the u/s if you don't want it. Plenty of people have unexpected twins just fine all the time.
#7 of 19 Old 08-16-2004, 02:25 PM

With my son I measured 4 weeks ahead at every appointment until about 32 weeks and then I caught up. He was 8.5lbs. Right now I am 26w measuring 32. My OB doesn't seem concerned at all and neither am I. I have had 4pgs and I figure I am a little streched in there and I am overweight. I do know that there is only 1 baby and I am hoping for another u/s to make sure this baby is on track. (gestational diabetes makes for bigger babies too) I really am not worried about it.
#8 of 19 Old 08-16-2004, 02:44 PM

I think this is just one of those things that can vary- sounds like your mw wasn't concerned, so you probably don't need to be either.

My OB has yet to actually measure me with a tape. She just feels my belly and says that it is just where it should be. Of course, this is after we listen to the heartbeat with the doppler.
#9 of 19 Old 08-18-2004, 09:43 PM

Kay... hope this makes you feel better, but I had my mw appt today, and I'm 27weeks, measuring 31. Mw wasn't concerned and said that babe probably just finished a growth spurt and will taper off for a bit (one can always hope, right?), but she really wasn't worried. I think it's a second + baby thing, also...
#10 of 19 Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I think the main reason I am stressing about it is because ALL of my mw's keep harping that if I want my VBAC I need to grow a smaller baby this time (DS was nearly 10 pounds but I am STILL convinced that I could have delivered him just fine vaginally if I hadn't been induced with AROM, pitocin you name it...of course none of my mws agree ARGH!!)

Unfortunately they are the only game in town (there is another midwifery practice but honestly she is a little "off centre" shall we say. She was the mw for a friend of mine and I found her too pushy by far!

So I am stuck with the ones I have. I think I am going to stick to my guns and avoid the us unless they can give me concrete reasons why avoiding one could be detrimental (not just...we want to see that everything is fine KWIM??)

I think I will freak if I do end up with twins though LOL...talk about eating your words. When people comment about how big I am (got it a lot with DS and the comments are starting to flood in with this baby too LOL because I am short and the babe has nowhere to go but out) I always say "I am haivng a baby not a litter"...if I had twins I guess I would have to swallow those words eh??

Steph

#11 of 19 Old 08-20-2004, 09:13 PM

I would avoid the u/s then... if it is just a "big baby", then u/s will not give you an accurate idea of how big babe is anyhow. With ds#1 I had one at 35 weeks that guestimated him at 6 1/2lbs, so largest projected birthweight ( ) was "high 8's tops". Well, he came out at 10lbs 10ounces. This one could be 12lbs at the rate I'm (he's) growing, I'm getting the "you're HUGE" comments also already. I say to these "well meaning" people that my body won't grow a baby I can't birth... but inwardly I'm getting a little nervous. Can't do nothing about it...

If it is twins, then they probably wouldn't be exicited about delivering them VBAC either... that's something that you have to decide about on your own, I guess.
#12 of 19 Old 08-29-2004, 03:22 AM

I once measured 33 weeks at 27 weeks. It was because DS was breech at the time.

He ended up vertex, normal delivery, 8lb 11 oz.

Once he flipped vertex measurements went back to normal.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#13 of 19 Old 08-29-2004, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yep I am feeling much more "normal" sized lately so I am thinking it was just a positioning thing as opposed to an actual large for dates problem KWIM? It will be interesting to see if the MW thinks the babe is still transverse or not because I will have to start scheduling Moxibustion appointments next week if he or she is

Steph

#14 of 19 Old 09-06-2004, 02:22 PM

Hi everyone

I have been measuring large, too... causing much significant looking between my MWs, due to my already having twins... I am determined to deliver this baby at home, though, and if they decide it's twins, I will be taken to the hospital... but I am certain it isn't... just one big/strangely postioned baby- I swear I only ever feel movement in my ribs LOL!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that at this appt (on wednesday) I will measure closer to date. I am being measured by 3 different midwives, each on a different occasion, though, so who knows if they all have the same measuring technique or not... I try not to let it worry me!

Hope things are staying normal now, Steph!

Leslie
#15 of 19 Old 09-07-2004, 11:08 PM

Well, I'm actually measuring small. At my last appt. (30 wks) I measured at 26.5 weeks, but at my appt. 2 weeks prior I measure right on at 28 wks. The appt. before that I measure small as well. Measured at 22.5 wks when I was actually 24 weeks. My mw said it has a lot to do with the positioning of the baby, but I think it also just depends on your build and how you carry your babies, b/c I never got really big with dd, but she was 8 lbs. 5 oz. Mind you, I'm not a big person, 5'4" and around 135 lbs. I really don't understand why some people carry so much larger than others, but end up having small babies or vise versa. But, I don't think it's too big a deal usually. They probably shouldn't even measure if you look good and are gaining weight appropriately.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#16 of 19 Old 09-30-2004, 01:05 PM

Whoa. I was really startled by the post above which recommends concealing critical information from your midwife (such as the fact that you're carrying twins). The writer said that she wished she had kept her twins a secret so that she could have the home birth she wanted.

I'm very sorry to hear about the negative experience in hospital. However, as a trained midwife myself, I'm also deeply disturbed by the advice to be less than honest with your midwife. After all, the whole point of prenatal care is to help you and your baby have the best outcomes possible. For example, let's say that you'd prefer not to have the shot of erot or oxytocin after the birth, which is usually given to prevent postpartum hemorrhage (PPH). You might want to reconsider this preference if you're carrying twins! Your midwife can provide the information you need to make this decision. But if you don't tell her what's going on, you won't get all the relevant information. Now you're both in the dark. That's a dodgy situation for you and your babies as well as for the midwife.

There are so many other ways in which sharing information can benefit you and your baby... and incidentally, help to keep midwifery available to all women, by making it possible for your midwife to provide competent care. If you have a good relationship with your care provider, you should be able to make a plan that works for both of you. If you don't... well, I'd say it's time to find another care provider.

Best wishes,
Marli
#17 of 19 Old 10-01-2004, 02:24 AM

Oooh, bad etiquette - following up on my own post. Sorry.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant about concealing information. From my perspective there is a big difference between choosing not to find out certain information (example: skipping the routine tests & ultrasounds in pregnancy) and actually having evidence or information that could affect your care, but choosing not to share this. My comments above have to do with concealing actual evidence or information. Skipping tests...hey, that's your choice.

Marli (due April '05)
#18 of 19 Old 10-20-2006, 05:44 PM

I just went to my 28 week appt. today and found out that the baby's breech and I measured too large at 34 cms. I'm waiting for an ultrasound but am so scared something is wrong. He mentioned that it could be because the the position of the baby I'm measuring larger or that there may be too much amniotic fluid. Has anyone had a similar situation that could provide some advice? Thank you!

-Amanda
#19 of 19 Old 10-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Wow, this is a really old thread! I thought they got rid of these forums after awhile. My dd is coming upon her second birthday in 2.5 weeks. I'm sorry, I have no advice. Why don't you post in the "I'm Pregnant" main forum, not the due date clubs. You'll get more response.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page