Failed my 1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test (UPDATE WITH RESULTS) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-30-2004, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[I PASSED THE 3 HOUR TEST]

Well, the subject says it all, I suppose. I failed my 1 hour test, so I have to take the 3 hour test. I know most people who fail the 1 hour do fine on the 3 hour, but what a hassle. I have to fast for 10-12 hours, then do the test for 3 hours- so that is 13-15 hours without eating. Hello- I'm pregnant- how am I supposed to survive that!?!

Okay, enough moaning. I know if I have gestational diabetes it would be a good thing to know, but what a PITA!

Oh, I guess anything above a 140 is failing, and I got a 145.

Anyone else?
#2 of 14 Old 08-30-2004, 05:41 PM

They're making you do the 3-hour with a 145??? I got a 140, and my doc didn't bat an eye.

Well, actually, they were supposed to either call me (failing) or send a letter (passing) and after three weeks of neither, I called to find out my score. They told me, and said that I might have to come in to do the 3-hour, but it would depend on my doc, who was on vacation, and I had to call back in two days to see what he wanted to do. Well, I decided that since I didn't have any other risk factors, and technically 140 is still passing, I wasn't going to call back. A week later I went to my appointment, and just hoped my ob wouldn't bring it up, which he didn't. I guess I'm kind of passive agressive that way.

That really is a PITA that you have to do the 3-hour! I know some ladies around here get their docs to agree to testing their blood sugar a few times throughout the day with regular eating for a week or so....maybe someone with experience will post about doing that.

#3 of 14 Old 08-30-2004, 06:19 PM

I had to do the 3 hour both times and was fine with the 2nd test.SUCKS to sit there and waste all that time though! I don't remember my score,I don't even know of they told me
#4 of 14 Old 08-30-2004, 07:47 PM

My advice to you when you do the 3 hour is Don't just sit there...walk around as much as possible, because often a high test is due to sitting around for an hour, which how much of that do we really do??

I had a reading of 130 with Eli and the state of CA required me to be tested on the 3 hour test...How stupid was that? Anyway..I walked and read and sat and walked on the 3 hour and passed with flying colors.

Good Luck!
#5 of 14 Old 08-30-2004, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

My OB is on vacation this week, so I can't actually talk to her, unfortunately. Luckily, I work on the same campus as the lab, so I can, in theory, come back and work between the hourly blood draws, though they warned me I might not feel like it.

Thanks for the walking around advice- it is about a 5+ minute walk from my desk to the lab, which will probably help. Sadly, I do a lot of just sitting, since my work is computer based.

I'm thinking I might just go ahead and do it tomorrow morning, just to get it over with. Wednesday and Thursday won't work, and I don't work on Friday, so I'd rather do it while I'm here...
#6 of 14 Old 08-30-2004, 11:15 PM

I just had mine done today(the one hour test) and hope to God I pass it!!! I passed all my others.
#7 of 14 Old 08-31-2004, 09:57 AM

Well, I failed my 1 hr. at 176 and my dr said he wasn't going to put me through the 3 hr. I did fine with my 3 hr when I was pregnant with my twins. He just told me to watch my sugars, breads and carbs.
#8 of 14 Old 08-31-2004, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm in the midst of doing it right now. Yuck! Of course, I'm blatantly disregarding the instructions by leaving the building, but I wasn't just going to sit there for three hours without any work to do. So I came back to my desk to get some work (so I won't feel like I have to take the time off- I'm an exempt employee anyhow).

I wasn't too worried about the 3 hour, but when I read the symptoms I get paranoid. Of course, I'm pregnant- I should be thirsty and have to urinate more then usual...

I'm most annoyed that it took close to 30 minutes to actually get the drink from the time I got to the lab. That means I can't eat anything until it is almost noon! Yikes! Torture for a pg woman!
#9 of 14 Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2amelia
I'm most annoyed that it took close to 30 minutes to actually get the drink from the time I got to the lab. That means I can't eat anything until it is almost noon! Yikes! Torture for a pg woman!
That's yucky! Poor mama! You'd better treat yourself to a fabulous lunch!
#10 of 14 Old 08-31-2004, 01:38 PM

This is making me so happy that I'm choosing not to do any glucose testing this pregnancy. I have no history of problems, plus I'm not sure if I believe that pregnancy induced diabetes really exists.. Good luck though!!
#11 of 14 Old 08-31-2004, 04:06 PM

I had a 168 and have to go next week for another finger prick, but no 3 hour test. From everything I've read about having it done, the only factor for me is b/c I had big babies. If I had no factors I think I'd just pass on the test.

Guess I won't have brownies for breakfast the day of my next test. *grin*
#12 of 14 Old 08-31-2004, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm done. It wasn't too bad, and I'm not as starving as I thought I'd be. I guess that bottle of glucola probably has a lot of calories in it, lol.

So when I went for the 1 hour draw, that person asked if I'd been told not to move around too much, because they didn't want me to burn up the sugar. I just said that the card said no strenuous exercise. I didn't mention that I'd walked basically 2 blocks to my building and back. I guess that increases my chances of passing the test.

I did manage to get a few good recipies from Better Homes and Gardens while I was sitting there....
#13 of 14 Old 09-01-2004, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

I just called and got the results that all the tests came back negative. No big surprise, but I'm glad that it is over with.
#14 of 14 Old 09-02-2004, 02:05 PM

wahoo!

glad to hear it!

*j

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page