Feeling crampy, is it okay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2004, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been feeling really crampy, like menstrual cramps, but my tummy isn't hard when I feel this. It was really bad today, accompanied by a lower backache and I thought about calling my midwife, but I absolutely could not afford to take the rest of the day off to rest and I was afraid that's what she would tell me to do. I felt this way for the first time about 2 weeks ago, but then was fine after that day. But for the past week, it's been worse. Anyone else feeling this way. I'm a little worried. It's worse when I'm sitting down and I'm quite uncomfortable at times. I don't remember feeling like this with dd, and to be honest I cannot remember at all what early labor felt like. Any thoughts?

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 02:20 AM

no expert thoughts, but darlin it sounds to me like you *should* call your midwife and take it easy!

hope it calms down soon; keep us posted, okay?

hugs,
*jennifer
Old 09-24-2004, 03:03 AM

I was actually coming over to post the same thing. I actually have been having contractions since 28 weeks, but only one or two a day. This week I started feeling crampy without the accompanying contraction. It would last 10 - 20 minutes or so. I'm also kind of worried, but my dr knows I've been having trouble with contractions and I'm already resting.

I'm not sure what the cramping without tightening means. I've been wondering myself. I think you should let your midwife know though. If you do go into preterm labor, you'll miss a whole lot more than one day resting.

Good luck. Let us know what's up. And if anyone knows what cramping means without tightening, let us know. I'm wondering too.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I promise I will contact my midwife the next time I am feeling that way. I just feel like such a pain calling them when I don't have an appointment b/c they are sooo... busy. It usually takes them a half day at least to get back to you when you call in. I like the practice, but they are too busy. I guess b/c they are the only birth center in the state. (They literally have people drive hours to birth with them.)

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 PM

but! they are your health care providers for this pregnancy, and crampiness with a low backache before 37 weeks is on every list of "when to call your midwife" that i've seen.

you are not a pain! you are a mama in touch with her body and baby.

hugs,
jennifer
Old 09-25-2004, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. I was feeling crampy today as well, so this afternoon I called over to the birth center and my midwife wanted me to come right in so she could see what was going on. They aren't open on Friday's normally, but she was in with a mama in labor and had some time before the big show. She did a 30 min. NST to check for contractions and I didn't have anything going on there. She also did a cervical check which was normal for 33 wks. (not effaced at all and not really dilated at all.) She thinks I may have something going on with my bladder or kidneys. There was a trace of blood in my urine and it was a little cloudy. So, it was sent in to the lab. I'll know on Monday or Tuesday what's going on hopefully. It looks like this little babe is staying put for now though, thankfully! I've been terribly uncomfortable with this crampiness for the past week and the last time we tried to have intercourse, it was unbearable for me b/c of the pain I had in my bladder. It felt like I had waited wayyyyy..... too long to go to the bathroom and I was doing everything I could to hold it in. There was nothing in my bladder though. Anyway, I kind of hope there is something going on, so that I can get it fixed and feel a bit better for the next month and a half.

Boobyjuice,
My midwife's first inclination was that it was probably a bladder infection, even though I haven't had any burning with urination. The other thing she said is that the muscles may just be weak and there is nothing wrong at all. You might want to go in as well though, if you are having the same thing going on.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:23 PM

funny, i've been starting to get the same thing... but only in the early morning... it's like an ache low in my uterus that feels like menstrual pain but not cramping... it's that feeling of my period being about to start. my belly is completely soft while it happens... yesterday morning i woke up at 4:30 am with it, but managed to get back to sleep and it was completely gone when i woke up again. this morning i woke up at 6 with it, it got worse when i got up to go to the bathroom, settled into my right hand side, and into my lower back on the right hand side. my DH massaged a bit and i felt better by 8. i'm seeing my OB on Thursday, so i'll ask her then. i'm 32 weeks... and i've never felt round ligament pain yet in the pregnancy, so i was wondering if that was it, but who knows... i sure hope it's not an infection!

boobyjuice & scheelimama, hope you're feeling better soon!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
Old 10-05-2004, 01:30 PM

Well..I had an asymptomatic UTI (bladder infection with no symptoms) with Eli and went into early labor, so I think you did the right thing!! better safe than sorry!
Old 10-05-2004, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

It ended up being nothing for me. Just weak muscles I guess. The wierd thing is that it was really bad for a week or so and then the same day I saw my midwife, dh bought me some cranberry juice and I started taking some probiotics as well and it hasn't been a problem since. I really felt like there was something going on besides weak muscles, but my mw said the lab results showed nothing. Oh well. I know my muscles are kind of weak this time around, but I haven't felt that same kind of crampiness in the past week so not sure what it was. Thanks for the advice and encouragement ladies!

User Tag List