Anyone else starting to get nervous about our upcoming births? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-07-2004, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I admit it... I'm scared!!!!

I got to 4cm last time when I had my CS so I never had a vaginal birth.

I'm going for VBAC this time.

I can't get my mind around how something so big is gonna come out of something so small.

I know muscles stretch and bones move and all that, but I *still* can't get past how something so big is gonna come out of ME, down there!!!

I've just finished Birthing from Within, and yes I see it's a natural process and all that, I understand all that. But I just can't picture something so big coming out of me. What will it feel like?

Please is anyone else getting nervous? Scared?
#2 of 16 Old 10-07-2004, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heh, I'm still amazed when I see birth happen. Our bodies are incredible!

I cannot tell you what it will feel like or be like because every birth, every woman, every baby is different. It's intense, oftentimes painful and also the most exhilerating and incredible experience.

you'll do great, mama!
#3 of 16 Old 10-08-2004, 01:31 AM

It is so amamzing I'm sure you'll do fine. I was scared and still am with each and every one. I was scared of the pain..it's different for everyone but it's not as bad as it seems. It just felt like major stretching down there. I'll agree though exhilerating it is.
#4 of 16 Old 10-08-2004, 10:30 AM

with my first, I was medicated, the whole 9 yards. With my second I wanted to do it natural, but I was a little nervous. I tried to stay calm and just breathe, and it was not bad at all. For me anyway, my contractions were not any worse at 10 cm than 4, they were just longer. I think relaxing is a big factor in not letting the pain get away with you.

I'm thinking about getting a labor cd I saw on the website link above. It seems like it would be really relaxing!

I'm not nervous about the birth, though I do hope it is just as predictable as my second. lol I think I'm more nervous about having to go to the hospital, and who will be watching my kids.

Have you ever looked at http://www.birthdiaries.com/ ? I really like that site, I get so much inspiration from looking at all the pictures! lol Maybe I'm a weirdo though!! lol
#5 of 16 Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 AM

Well, this is my first homebirth, so I'm a little bit nervous...but my lovely midwife just looked at me at my last visit and said, you stay calm until I say otherwise!! LOL! For some reason that, and her just validating me and making me feel like an equal just works for me. I was on a happy high that day. I haven't even thought much about it since except I strongly suspect this is going to be a rather large baby...I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead now. Eli was 8 lbs which isn't bad, so I'm hoping this gal doesn't get much bigger than that

Birth IS a natural process..you will never regret choosing a VBAC if you get to have it! I still go on and on about how incredible it was to finally feel a birth happen with my son Elijah.. I was medicated through the first two kids and I even remember asking the doctors to "push what?" with them. I still feel a High just thinking about how amazing it was feeling Elijah emerge from my body! Worth every moan and groan.
#6 of 16 Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 AM

oh yeah, how could I forget! lol I'm nervous about the size of this baby too. The doctor keeps asking me if I think it will be bigger than my first (at 9lbs 8oz). When I was 33 1/2 weeks, I measured 37 weeks. What does scare me is thinking about BIG shoulders that want to get stuck. *shudder* This hospital is sooooo "traditional", that it scares me. Who knows what they'd want to do!
#7 of 16 Old 10-08-2004, 11:50 AM

hmm..you'll just have to teach them the Gaskin maneuver! Seriously, many OBs are now learning this for shoulder dystocia...check out Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
#8 of 16 Old 10-08-2004, 12:26 PM

I am having bad flash backs to my last birth which was long and awful as I have mentioned due to my OB/GYN's impatience. I keep trying to focus on my first birth because it was by far the best.

I know that this will be a whole different ball game because of my midwife and the homebirth but I am still nervous. I kind of lost control during my last birth and I am still really embarassed about it. Is that silly?

Stephany
#9 of 16 Old 10-08-2004, 01:10 PM

Quote:
teach them the Gaskin maneuver
lol this is the hospital that likes to shave the area before delivery (something they are NOT doing to me!) They are very set in their ways!
#10 of 16 Old 10-09-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyleigh
lol this is the hospital that likes to shave the area before delivery (something they are NOT doing to me!) They are very set in their ways!
: I didn't know anyone did that any more! I thought the hospital I was going to was old fashioned, but that's amazing.

I'm also getting nervous about this one. I've had 2 non-medicated, non-intervention childbirths (I'd say "natural" but after the long discussion on what that means, I'm not sure when to use it anymore). But unlike some women who breathe through their labors, find them easy to cope with, etc, I have very fast, very overwhelming, very painful labors. Knowing that if it's the same, it'll be over soon is only a little consolation. I'm not looking forward to the time during the labor. Or the 30 minute drive to the hospital in hard labor. Why in hard labor? Because I have early labor for weeks (months this time) and when my actual "having this baby" labor starts, it's hard, active, 60 second contractions every 75 seconds. There is no time to breathe, center myself or get control. It's like walking along and being hit by a steam engine you didn't know was there.

So yup, nervous about labor. I just keep trying to tell myself I know I can do it. I just don't like it very much.
#11 of 16 Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyleigh
Have you ever looked at http://www.birthdiaries.com/ ? I really like that site, I get so much inspiration from looking at all the pictures! lol Maybe I'm a weirdo though!! lol
I had pictures taken of my dd's birth and I still enjoy pulling them out every now and then and looking at them. Maybe we are weird, but it is just so amazing to me to see birth pictures! Birth is amazing!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#12 of 16 Old 10-10-2004, 02:48 PM

i dont think its at all weird~ every single birth i see makes me cry. it blows my mind! the whole process. im trying to be understanding with my dh about it, he experiences all that blood/fluids...crowning etc as a bit gross...i guess sure, if it was all about say, removing a tumor or something, but how can anyone miss the awesomeness that thats a live little person (and the mama too) and their once off experience.
#13 of 16 Old 10-10-2004, 02:48 PM

I'm getting a bit nervous because I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow and the little one still hasn't turned! We're trying different things and hoping for the best, but the idea of a possible cesarean is getting scary!

Besides, I've had child bearing hips since I was 13 years old - it would truly be a waste!
#14 of 16 Old 10-10-2004, 03:05 PM

I'm not really scared yet. I didn't scared last time until it was time to push...and then I was freaked out. I don't know how an 8 pound baby can come of there...The dr. had to use forceps on DS (something I don't want to repeat this time...) but he was transverse and had the cord around his neck and there was meconium in the fluid. The OB did a great job...but it was very uncomfortable. I still don't know if I'm going to have another epidural...I'm going to see how I feel at the time. I wasn't going to have one with DS but I was so exhausted after being in labor all night that by 9am I asked for it...and delivered him 3 hours later.
#15 of 16 Old 10-12-2004, 12:30 PM

golly! our next door neighbours (the october mamas) are birrthing!!! we are next~ i got a bit of a jolt yesteday (i had a bit of spotting.. i was like... oh hang on this is not my period starting...im not ment to see blood for a while yet!...my midwives had been over in the morning and everything was great, they're coming over today just to be sure) but anyway it really made me think if i am ready or not. ive just been gathering birth/baby things...without a list or anything...just cute stuff, yummy little diapers and woolie covers...treats like weleda creams and oils, so all of a sudden im thinking...do i have all the functional stuff...? i havent finished making our place cosy yet...i have big plans, where did all those months go? i must remember ive done this before...it doesnt feel like it sometimes though~im also really really excited about the birth...and i still cant imagine another person hanging out with us...but i know once this babe's here it will be like " oh there you are!"
sorry , as usual absoultly no point to my post...just rambling.
#16 of 16 Old 10-12-2004, 12:35 PM

On Sunday my baby dropped. I'm carrying really low now, and my achey pelvis feels like it is starting to open up. Does that mean she's coming soon?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page