Is this happening to anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep having contractions that feel like real labor, last for a couple of hours and then go away! It's driving me nuts! I just want to get this thing going. I had hard, regular contractions from about 3:30-5 last night and then they just went away. This happened last Monday and a few times in between as well. What's going on?
#2 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 02:44 PM

ah...sounds like false labor..or pro-dromal (sp?) labor...I had several instances like that with my 3rd child..Just keep on relaxing and waiting and eventually it will be real, I promise!!
#3 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 04:49 PM

Me too!! I've been having them like crazy and they seem to be strong. I've even been in the bathroom thinking my body is cleaning itself out but it stops and then I'm not sure.
#4 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 05:27 PM

Yup, happened to me with two of mine. On and off for 3-5 days. I called it "stuttering labor!"

I read that it can mean a posterior baby, not applying good pressure to the cervix. Check out spinningbabies.com.
#5 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM

That happened to me last night; I was just starting to get excited- and it stopped! Ugh!
#6 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I know that the baby isn't posterior because I asked my midwife about that at the last appt. I had this with my second baby, but it only lasted a couple of days and this has gone on for over a week now! It's getting more than a little frustrating. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope he comes sooner rather than later.
#7 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 08:23 PM

I thought maybe possibly something was starting on Monday night, but no... a little stronger & more frequent then the BH that I've been having, but nothing else of interest since then.

With dd I didn't have any kind of regular recognizable contractions until I was in early labor. And now I just can't even remember what those felt like, but I'm sure I will when they happen this time around.
#8 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 PM

Yep, been having that for several weeks. I did with dd#2 also - for five or six weeks. I walked around at 8-9cm dilated for three weeks before having her (in 20 minutes once my waters broke ).

I had the midwife check today and I was at 4cm. Some of these contractions are fairly big, and stop me in my tracks. Then they just go away again.

It's nerve wracking!! It could be any time, or it could be another 4 weeks...........
#9 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 09:22 PM

I've done it with all 3 of mine. Everyone tries to tell you they are BH but, with me at least, they are definitly changing my cervix so they are real contractions. I have very fast labors once they start, but then again I've had hours of contractions in little spurts. While it is very frustrating (my last labor was only 6 days ago so I really do remember ), try to think about the fact that each of these episodes are shortening your final labor. They're also a really good chance to practice whatever pain managment techniques you plan on using during birth.
#10 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 10:47 PM

Now I wonder if that is what I had.. I had STRONG contractions all night, so strong I had to vocalize through them towards morning. My midwife assured me it was real labor, but now, who knows?! We practiced hypnobirthing and they pretty much all but stopped. I'm wondering what would have happened if I wouldn't have pushed for 3 hours against a closed cervix. I certainly learned a lot from this experience!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#11 of 23 Old 11-04-2004, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum
Yep, been having that for several weeks. I did with dd#2 also - for five or six weeks. I walked around at 8-9cm dilated for three weeks before having her (in 20 minutes once my waters broke ).

I had the midwife check today and I was at 4cm. Some of these contractions are fairly big, and stop me in my tracks. Then they just go away again.

It's nerve wracking!! It could be any time, or it could be another 4 weeks...........

It is..I don't know when it's going to happen..right now or last week I was at 2cm.
#12 of 23 Old 11-04-2004, 07:52 PM

I've been experiencing this for a couple of weeks, too. I have contractions continuously every day for the last 2-3 days or so. It seems I have them in various patterns...10 minutes apart for a few hours, 5 minutes apart for a couple hours later on, and a few just sporatic, irregular ones over the course of an hour or so. But they aren't getting any more intense. They are stronger than the ones I was having last week, but not baby producing...yet!

They also feel different depending on my position. If I am laying or sitting down, they are concentrated real low in a sharp, pulling sensation. If I'm standing or walking, my belly gets rock hard all over and very round. Sometimes I feel them in my hips and lower back no matter how I'm positioned. Anyone else notice this?

I hate this constant feeling of "is this it?!" and I can't take the phone calls from family "Today's not a good day" or "Tonight is good for me" I really don't care!

My contractions are also "real", not just braxton-hicks, since I am dilated to 4 as of Tuesday. And its not that I want a long, drawn out labor, but I definately don't want to be rushing to fill the tub, get the kids settled, have my husband get home and the midwife here. It makes me anxious to think it could go real fast, I'd like it to at least be gradual too. I've had a real, short intense labor before and I hated it! I need time to build myself up to that kind of pain!
#13 of 23 Old 11-04-2004, 08:07 PM

: YES!! Last week I started getting all of my stuff ready, thinking this was IT! They went on for about 4 hours and then stopped. It happened again yesterday too. Maybe it's just the body's way of getting ready.....

Libby
#14 of 23 Old 11-04-2004, 08:29 PM

I wish, actually. Then it will feel like something is happening down there.

Right now it feels like baby will stay put forever... and I'm not very rational about that thought right now.
#15 of 23 Old 11-05-2004, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess
I hate this constant feeling of "is this it?!" and I can't take the phone calls from family "Today's not a good day" or "Tonight is good for me" I really don't care!
You too? This is driving me nuts! My mil actually called me yesterday and told me that I should have the baby on Nov. 12th because then my sil could come out here since she has the day off work As if I should just arrange labor around their schedules! As if that is possible anyway
#16 of 23 Old 11-06-2004, 01:52 AM

Anybody having hotflashes too? I sure am!!
#17 of 23 Old 11-06-2004, 02:01 AM

Yeah this is what is happening right now. I keep hoping but being afraid to hope KWIM and it is driving me crazy! Especially with my DH going "is this a contraction"...well how the heck would I know...I haven't ever experienced a "real" (meaning not induced) contraction in my life so I really have 0 experience with what naturally occuring labour feels like...so stop BUGGING me already

I know he is only doing it because he loves me and he knows I have been stressed with the idea of going post dates but it still makes me want to smack him upside the head with a pitch fork :

Here is hoping that I don't just have this for 3 or 4 more weeks!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#18 of 23 Old 11-06-2004, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I was having them *again* all day yesterday. The whole time I was at the park with the kids and then again the whole time we were in the movie theater last night. Then I got home, laid down and they stopped I knew that would happen, so my hopes weren't too high. I did have the kids telling thier baby brother to come out and play though:LOL
#19 of 23 Old 11-06-2004, 05:54 PM

I wrote this in the weekly thread, too. I have contractiosn from 5:30 yesterday evening to 9:00 this morning. They started at 10 mins apart and got closer and stronger. They were 2 mins apart when I went to bed. Then they were 5. Now, nothing. Every 15 or 20 mins, maybe. Its so unfair! I hate "false" labor. I feel like I did all this work for nothing... I should've had a baby last night.

Anyone else want to join the "I hate false labor" club?

And does anyone else feel like a total idiot when they are actually convinced enough to call their midwife or dr? And call someone to watch the kids, etc? Cause I do. :

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#20 of 23 Old 11-06-2004, 06:21 PM

I had so much of this with Eli that I was in the hospital 5 times before the 6th and final time I went in with my water broken. I began to pray to anything that would listen to let my water break so I would know it was really going to happen!! I can so relate to what you all are going through...I'm happy that the baby isn't coming right now cuz of this cold, though.

So..I would like to be an honorary member of the i hate false labor club
#21 of 23 Old 11-07-2004, 05:17 PM

I definately need to join too! I am soo sick of "false" labor, although my midwife and assistant try so hard to tell me "it's work you don't have to do in labor". I just don't see the positive of that. At least in labor, you get to be IN LABOR! This way, not only is my body contracting, but I am still shopping, cleaning, cooking and taking care of three kids. I would like to be able to FOCUS on being in labor, you know?!

With my last pregnancy, I had 7 trips to the hospital before I begged them to break my water and get on with it! It was so draining - emotionally, physically, financially and babysitting wise - to keep having "false alarms". This is one of the reasons homebirth was so appealing to me this time, let everyone come to me and the kids can stay put, lol!

I haven't gotten to the point of calling my mw about them, yet! My cntx are usually 10 minutes apart. They generally go all day, then in the evening, they get closer together for an hour or so, and go away. Very frustrating. Although, now, I don't even time them...unless I'm in the car, can't really help it then with the clock right in front of me Yesterday I only had about 5 the whole day, but today they are back...

I really don't think this baby is ever going to come out! I mean, I know it will eventually, but I am having a really hard time envisioning going into REAL labor all on my own. I've never actually done that, all 3 of my previous labors were induced/augmented
#22 of 23 Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM

I really know how you feel, Jill. All my labors were induced or augmented before this one, too. I'm nervous already about having ctx and wondering if things will happen now that I am not ready for them to. So far, the best thing has been to just relax and ignore. If I can't ignore it then I try a bath or sleep or whatever I have time to do..my friends tell me that if I'm doing all that relaxing and the ctx are still getting stronger, that's when I'll know...but will I really/??? I'm not sure I believe it!!
#23 of 23 Old 11-07-2004, 05:39 PM

It's not false anything! Every time your body goes into contractions like that, it is doing valuable work for you. As one mama mentioned, it leads to short, sharp labours for her. Maybe thinking of it as prelabour or prodromal labour will help. It's not a sign of dysfunction, it's just your body slowly warming up and letting you and bubs have a longer gentler ride. It might lead to shorter labours for some women, but not for all. Put your feet up, go with it, get on with your day, do whatever feels good and right to you. Babies come on their birthdays, and we have no idea when that will be, most of the time.

I know it's really frustrating, it's like waiting to run a marathon and not knowing when the starter's pistol will go off. But stressing about it won't make it come sooner, in fact it may keep it away as you have hormones that tell your body it's not safe to labour if you're full of adrenaline or anger. Mother Nature's doing her best, and you're all carrying divinely beautiful babies who are just finishing making themselves perfect to meet you

Keep up the excellent work! I look forward to hearing the birth stories!!

J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page