"So you'll try for a boy, then?" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-03-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like we're going to have another girl, which is great (except for the fact that we don't have a name yet, LOL). But I have had SO many people say, "So you'll try for a boy, then?" We are planning to have another kid but not to try for a boy - if we'd had a boy this time we still would be planning another. Why do people think that? Do people with two boys get girl comments? (Interestingly, my dad is the youngest of 11 - 10 boys and 1 girl...but she was #3, LOL. So girls are quite popular in my family b/c there are *so* many boys...the comments aren't coming from family, just aquaintances. Grr.)

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

#2 of 7 Old 11-03-2004, 04:52 PM

I didn't think I would EVER have a boy. I had 4 girls in a row then 3 boys in a row, now I'm expecting my 4th boy. I always got comments after my girls..now you need to try for a boy..now all I get it well, you have 4 boys and 4 girls, you can quit!
#3 of 7 Old 11-03-2004, 05:23 PM

Most everyone assumes we, especially dh, must want a boy this time because we already have a girl. I don't understand the 'one of each' thing... I'm sure it gets worse when you already have two of one sex. If we have a girl, I'm sure people will start right away asking if we'll try for a boy. We'd be perfectly happy with a big house full of girls, thank you very much!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#4 of 7 Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM

We get that a lot too. Especially because my husband is a huge sports fan, the ignorant assumption is that he can only share his hobbies with a boy. With two female cats and a female Great Dane, he teases that if this is a girl he will happily be "king" of the castle.

For what it's worth, I know that my family would say the same thing if we had 2 boys. They are baby crazy, I *think* they will "allow" me to take 2005 off from breeding but I'm certain by this time next year they'll be busy spoiling the two we'll have and hinting as to the arrival of the next
#5 of 7 Old 11-03-2004, 06:07 PM

Oh, yes we've been getting that comment since ds 2 was born. Now that #3 is a boy we get the, "so are you stopping now or are you trying one more time for a girl?". I can't complain too much though since we were sort of trying for a girl, but we're thrilled to be having a boy and I doubt we'll have more children.
#6 of 7 Old 11-03-2004, 06:48 PM

I've never had this...but I decided if this one was a boy or girl I was stopping either way..I love both kinds, and I already have a daughter anyway. People already think I'm insane because my oldest child is 18 and I'm pregnant...how much worse could it be??
#7 of 7 Old 11-04-2004, 10:36 AM

We're having ds#2 and get the "so are you going to try for a girl?" A LOT. I know it's just trying to make conversation, but man it can get on a girl's nerves.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page