What causes stalled labor and how do you get it started again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2004, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my questions says it all. What can I do to make those contractions I was having last night come back and stay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 05:18 PM

i don't have experience actually doing this, but from what i've read and heard, it's ye olde nipple stimulation, sex, walking, spicy food, dancing (with lots of butt shakin to wiggle that head on down)--maybe some evening primrose or black currant seed oil capsules to help ripen the cervix...basically, though, you're on the verge, and labor will kick in for real when it's time (barring castor oil or other inducement).

we're all right there with you! hang in there, mama--

*j
Old 11-16-2004, 05:18 PM

dont take my advice (im still pregnant ) but...my midwife says: sex...hot shower then cool air...(this works if you have an outside showerhouse)...walking...nipple stimulation...and didnt someone here get going after a bit of relaxation?...as i said, if i really new...ill be watching, good luck

hey i havent tried that butt shaking...dd will love this!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:13 PM

I laboured in inactive labour Friday and Saturday and then had 13 hours of "active" labour Sunday (after administration of an enema) which then petered out into nothing (well almost...24 hours of contractions every 30mins to 1 hour).

On Monday I had an NST with some slight variables which meant they wanted more closer observation and something told me I had to do something to get Niamh out ASAP. DH had said that he thought all I needed was one good push and I would spring back into active labour because my engine was still revving from the weekend (I could feel my body *trying* to contract but it was like trying to start a car with a broken alternator for lack of a better description...I would feel the contraction try to start and then nothing would happen.

On Monday at around 6:30 PM I administered a "Castor Oil Creamsicle"...1 cup orange juice, scoop of vanilla ice cream and 50 ML of Castor Oil (roughly 1.5 ounces). Contractions started within 5 minutes of drinking the concoction (which actually wasn't that bad taste wise LOL but I still drank it quickly) and I had Niamh rather quickly then I had expected about 5 hours later.

I will say that I tried Castor Oil when I was pregnant with Rhys and it did absolutely nothing so I think in the end it was more about the fact that my body was so very close to being in labour on its own that probably any single stimuli would have pushed me over the edge.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Old 11-17-2004, 07:23 PM

castor oil! i'd try sex first though.

User Tag List