Introducing Alexander! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-26-2004, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe that I'm posting here at last with a newborn next to me.

Early Monday morning I woke with some leaking, which amazed me as my waters didnt break with both dds until just before pushing. I moved to the couch, and tried to get some more sleep, until at 6 am my waters finally broke. I was prepared to go into labour fast, as I was already at 5cm, but nothing much happened and I managed to stay still until dds got up and had breakfast. They didnt realise that anything was going on.

I hung around on the couch while grandparents bathed them, dressed them etc, and dh got bags into the car. At 10.30 I rang my doula and told her I needed to go to the birthing centre, although nothing much was happening - I just knew it was time to move.

On the way the contractions picked up. By the time we got there I was doubled over and I shuffled to the centre, where we met the OB. (I was really sad because my midwife, who delivered my second dd, was away so I had to use the OB. But I have to say that the OB was fabulous and respected our birthplan 100% - I would happily use her next time. )

They wanted to get me on the monitor, standing, for 20 mins, but I was by then going crazy with it, so they got a couple of readings, my doula arrived, and I got in the shower. By this time I was at 7cm. For 20 mins the contractions were fairly non stop but I managed them really well, but then I felt myself panic and lost confidence that I could handle it. I really thought that I had another few hours to go, and actually screamed that I needed drugs now!

I didnt realise that the OB had just come in, on an instinct to check me. (She later told me that she wasnt going to for another hour, but had a feeling that she needed to check things out.) She asked me to get out the shower so she could check me, and I seem to remember being obstructive. I thought she was interfering and that I had hours to go.

My doula persuaded me to let the OB do a quick exam, then I could get back in. They told me afterwards that there was something in my change of voice and attitude that told them that it was time, even though I'd only been in there a short while. So I agreed, she checked me and I suddenly felt an urge to crouch down and push. I pushed once, and she told me that with one more push, the baby would be out!

I was stunned, it was incredibly intense, dh rushed to grab the camera , I swore violently at him : , everyone gathered round, and a few minutes later a contraction came and I pushed like hell. It was so unreal and intense and frightening, because I was unprepared for it to happen so fast. One more push and Alexander's head was out, and one more almighty push and his (very broad) shoulders were out too and he was on my chest. With that, my heart just slowed again and everything returned to normal.

He weighed in at 10lb 8oz and became quite a celebrity at the ten-and-a-half pounder who came out in just two pushes.

Dds are doing really well with him. Dd #1 is totally in love with him, wanting to hold him all the time and help with everything. Dd#2 was less interested, but is now starting to talk to him and give him the occasional hug. Juggling beds is challenging, but so far we're managing to get a bit of rest, although the girls are tired from early mornings and late nights. Hopefully that will work itself out.

So, that's our story! I'm not sure that such a fast labour is easier than a slow one - I've had all types now, but it's good to be home and to finally be a big family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-26-2004, 11:23 AM

Beautiful!! Congrats on your beautiful baby boy!!

Shelley, mother, wife, sister, aunt, friend.
#3 of 5 Old 11-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Welcome to the world Big boy!! Great job Mama!
#4 of 5 Old 11-27-2004, 11:39 AM

Congratulations!

and wow!! Only 2 pushes. And I thought people at the hospital were impressed with my pushing my 9 pound 14 ounce son out in about 10 minutes. I totally understand that fast and overwhelmed feeling. One of these days I'll write and post my story...
#5 of 5 Old 11-27-2004, 09:51 PM

Congrats mama on the big baby boy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page