...whatever you do, don't fall asleep! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-05-2004, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I'm 8 weeks 5 days and so tired that I don't WANT to do anything but lay on the couch and watch "a baby's story" and "surprise by design" all day in between naps. (yes, and I still have one full-time job as well as one part-time job) The problem is I haven't been ABLE to sleep since about week 4 or 5. Even at night, I'm waking about 2 or 3 times and often have trouble getting back to sleep.

Now, on to the fun part.... if you're squeemish, stop here!

When I do sleep, I continuously have the worst pregnancy-themed nightmares. I dreamed some harsh, sick-baby dreams early on, like that the baby died at birth from a heart defect. But lately, it's all gore and gushing blood. Last night, I dreamed that the baby just fell out of me, half formed and completely motionless.

I know that this is likely just my subconscious playing tricks on me but frankly, it doesn't make me feel any better when it happens.

I guess I just want to know if any of you are having nightmares and/or sleep problems and how you're dealing with them.
#2 of 11 Old 05-05-2004, 02:11 PM

I had a terrible nightmare one night that I had a miscarriage. It was a terribly graphic dream and very upsetting. (I just had a m/c last fall) I was so thankful to wake up and realize that it was only a dream. I am 8 weeks along...and I am extremely tired too! I try to take a nap each day, and I am sleeping pretty good at night.
#3 of 11 Old 05-05-2004, 03:22 PM

I had a couple of really bad ones with my first (one, where she emerged from my stomach as in the movie Alien, and I was screaming and screaming for my mom, who kept saying we could 'fix it' - sorry if that creates nightmares on your end - the thing was, I hadn't seen the movie Alien and have no idea what put that in my brain - this one was extremely graphic and kept me worried for days and days). I don't know what helps except that they weren't in any way prophetic. Just my hyperactive worry kicking in, I'll bet. I didn't deal with them too well, I really let them haunt me. I don't know what changed with my second but I didn't have any bad dreams (that I can remember) with him, and have been spared thus far this time. I don't know if any positive visualization before sleeping would help - I haven't tried it for myself but it seems to help my daughter.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#4 of 11 Old 05-05-2004, 10:35 PM

oh yeah, me too! mostly nightmares along the lines of something going wrong at the birth, like the one I posted about last week. Or dreams that my husband and I get into a huge fight and get a divorce... that one has been recurrent too... I actually can still remember part of the dream I had last night in which we were fighting about something and I slapped him across the face... The part that is most vivid is that my thumb brushed the edge of his eye, and I can still FEEL it. creeped me out, but I have never hit my husband, and we have hardly had an argument for months. I think I just have a longing to feel extra secure right now, and this is my way fo playing ou the what ifs, no matter how remote they actually are. No suggestions, just commiseration.
#5 of 11 Old 05-07-2004, 01:58 PM

I had a weird dream last night - not really a nightmare, but weird.

I was in this long line of other women. When you got to the front of the line, you faced this cafeteria-type counter and behind it, a humongous menu with all kinds of birth and baby information on it. Certain things were highlighted (there were like 10 things highlighted for me but all I remember were "breech" and "twins" - hoping this is just a nonsense dream) and then you chose your other options. Seriously, there was everything - stuff like cord length, where you would give birth, who would catch your baby, if/how much medicine you would have, how big the baby would be, etc, etc.

I woke up thinking how weird it would be to 'order' your baby.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#6 of 11 Old 05-07-2004, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I do thank you ladies so very much! You've made me feel much better. I know I'm not the only one. THANK YOU!
#7 of 11 Old 05-08-2004, 06:16 PM

kris
i'm sorry you're having these dreams, it sounds so scary and unrestful....i had one a couple weeks ago where i was bleeding and thought i was miscarrying. i was so happy to wake up and find out it wasn't true. of course i raced to the bathroom to check anyways...
#8 of 11 Old 05-08-2004, 07:39 PM

It was my turn last night! I dreamed I was on the toilet and suddenly felt some big clots slipping out of me. My mom was there and I just looked up at her and started crying because I knew the baby was dead... In the dream I thought there was something wrong with me and my DP, and that we will never be able to make a baby together (this is his first child). It was a horrible dream, I could really *feel* what was happening to me, and I knew the feeling because I really did have a miscarriage in February. When I woke up I was so overwhelmingly sad, and it took a while to realize that it wasn't real.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#9 of 11 Old 05-08-2004, 11:22 PM

I think all pregnant women have weird dreams...
When I was pregnant with my first I dreamed that I was pushing and out came a white lab looking dog. NO PUPPY< DOG> It was freaky. Then with my second I had HORRIBLE nightmares all te time/. IT was a stressful pregnancy knowing she would have alot of birth defects so i'm sure that's why. This time I have dreams everynight about the babies~~~! TWINS! OR TRIPLETS! everynight...
I'm measuring a month ahead and there is no way my dates are wrong so DH is convinced it's twins anyway. I have my u/s to find out on Wed. Now THAT"S scary. lol!
#10 of 11 Old 05-09-2004, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Angela, you're right. that IS SCAREY! I'm keepin 'em crossed for you!
#11 of 11 Old 05-10-2004, 12:19 PM

I dream I am bleeding at some point almost every night. Gotta love that anxiety! Last night I dreamt "something evil" was leaving boxes of Chex cerial on everyone in my neighborhoods porches and you could eat the cerial as long as you didn't look down at the box. I was desperatly trying to find DH to warn him but all I could find were weird zombie kids!

Mom to Iris and Henry

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page