Mothering Forum banner

Weekly thread 1st - 7th

1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  cinnamonamon 
#1 ·
20 weeks today!

Nothing new here, except I just ate WAAAY too much. At least it was healthy....til I had desert
Anyone else have insane appetites??

The sciatica is still bothersome, but I expected it.. now I am just waiting for the end of the insomnia...which will happen when the baby is born, with my luck!

I just found out that a good friend is expecting her first in March so I had great fun letting her know what was coming as far as the emotional stuff... and nesting.. and insomnia

LOL, I told her, of course, that I was kidding, and that lots of women have relatively uneventful pregnancies. I THINK I got her calmed down some.

Hope everyone is doing as well!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing to report......but I just thought I would say hello!

We bought our first baby clothes at consignment.

I'm still mulling over what diapers to buy.

I can't figure out my diarrhea. (Lyme Disease thread in "I'm Pregnant" board.)

starving hungry and stuck at work until my pilot/airplane show up, time to dig out a protein bar....

#3 ·
Hi everyone!
We had our 1st of 2 manditory classes at the birth center last night. It was pretty intresting although it focused a lot on weight which annoyed me. They showed a video of women birthing in the squatting position and I think DH got a lot out of that.
Other than that not much to report. I am feeling really good although completly exausted at all times. The baby is moving like crazy so it is hard not feel like all is well in the world. This week the baby I care for is at his grand parents so it is just me and Kate. We haven't been alone together in almost two years so it is pretty nice. I am enjoying the alone time b/c next week she starts kindergarten.

Well, i hope everyone is feeling great and enjoying life.

#4 ·
Not a lot to report here either...

Baby is moving a lot, dh got a good kick in his hand the other day.

I got some awesome deals on the clearance rack at JC Penney - 2 maternity shirts and a maternity zip-up terry jacket for $18 total. Pretty happy about that!

Ultrasound is less than a week away now! We can't wait to find out the sex if they can tell us.

I've actually gotten back on the treadmill the last 2 days, after about 3 months out of my routine. Of course I am taking it slow and listening to my body, but it feels so good to be back on again! I am making a vow to myself to continue now that I'm feeling so much better.

Have a good week everybody!

#5 ·
Hi everyone,

Not much new this week. No doctors appts. I'm still feeling really good most of the time. I'm being prepared for sleepless nights by my sweet daughter Meg. She's been up crying for no apperant reason alot lately at night. We went and bought the cribs yesterday for the nursery. It looks just beautiful! THe cribs will mostly be or naptime for a long while but oh well, it's my last baby. They are antiqued cream color and are really heavy and large. They were SO easy to put together! I've never seen anything like it. THe last one we had was a real PITA.

The last few weeks have draged along. I'm already getting the third tri blues... in my second. Why does it seem like It takes me so long to get pregnant and then I want it over with asap. I love to be pregnant but with this being my first boy I'm dying to meet and hold him.

My house is as clean as it's EVER been. BUT for some reasonwe have flies coming in somewhere and they are all dying by the back door. It's disgusting. I'm guessing the flea poison we used last month is killing them. I hate bugs.

I've decided not to use cloth diapers on the babies anymore. I feel sad about that and pretty guilty. It's harder after you know better. If it makes sense I have to focus on more important things. Breastfeeding will be a challange I"m going to win and I don't want any additional stress. Cloth diapering 2 babies is alot of work and I just don't think i'm up to it. Meg has outgrown all her cloth and i'm glad for that. Seems that a 2 year old pees too much for medium diapers and she's so thin. It had gotten to be a real 1940 diapering adventure. Everything soaked.

This is all OT but Meg is doing so well with her therapies. She's just started lifting her head and neck while laying on her tummy. Pushing up with her hands too. That's HUGE for her! It's good to se some real progress is coming from being harder on her. I hate pushing her so hard and I never wanted to be that kind of mom. I'd rather just let her enjoy life but I know eventually she won't be enjoying much it she can't lift her head. I'm hoping that this baby will be a good playmate and motivator for her.
Hope you are all well this week!

#7 ·
Things are well here - lots of movement, good mw visit last week.

I want some feedback from ya'll. My dh is considering a trip with work this fall - to India (we are in Colorado, so India is a long, long ways away). He could be gone as long as four weeks, late Sept - late Oct. I am trying to figure out how I feel about it. On the one hand, of course, it is a great opportunity for him and would be fascinating - and an important thing for his work. But....I have some reservations! If I had family nearby it would probably be different - but we don't. I would be anxious about him being so far away, for such a long time, and not able to communicate regularly with him. I had a very healthy, active, full-term pregnancy last time around - but I would worry about something happening while he was gone, and being alone with a 3-year-old. I do have friends who would certainly help out - but still, I will be very pregnant, taking care of dd, etc. We're due in early Dec; he would be back 6 weeks before the due date. What are your thoughts???

#8 ·
Kristi,

It would make me nervous and I wouldn't love the thought, but I couldn't tell him no. It just sounds like too good of an opportunity. I am more used to Shanon being gone though, as his schedule is 7 days on, 7 off. A lot of those "7-ons" are partially overnights, depending on where he's flying people to. So, maybe I am a bad judge. I would simply make some sort of arrangements for the best/most contact I could get with him and a back-up guarantee with his company that he could come home should I need him, health-wise.

#9 ·
Kristi - If I was in your position, I'd ask him to put off his vacation. I wouldn't feel comfortable being alone for so long, and although its still 6 weeks from your due date, its still pretty close and his help and support would be needed.

I called and "fired"
my OB yesterday. I have an appointment at the birthcenter here in Kirkland with my midwives coming up in the next couple of weeks. I love it there, I feel so comfortable. Its like I'm talking to a friend, and I'm not afraid to ask questions. I feel great to be free of appointments in Canada, its such a worry to drive up there every few weeks. Mostly, I'm so happy I'll be having the birth I want.
Monday night I start Prenatal yoga. It'll be nice to get out of the house and hopefully make some friends around here. Since moving here last November, I havn't met anyone around my age or with my same interests. It would be nice to make some pregnant friends.

We painted the Nursery and set up the crib yesterday. All we need now is the mattress for it. Theres no rush, since we are planning on having the baby in our room for the first couple of months anyways, I just want to be prepared. The room is a light green called "cabbage green" with light blue trim. When we picked it out, it seems fairly unisex, but after I got it on the walls, it leans a little towards boyish. Thats okay though, I'm really happy with how it turned out, and its nothing a few girly things strewn around can't fix.
I have a picture of the crib with the bedding in it, and some of the paint job HERE if anyone wants to see. Here's an example of the paint job from the company we bought the paint from, you can't see it so well in my photo - their example is alot clearer. So pretty!

Anyways, thats all I have to say this week. I'm so glad to have the nursery painted, and enthusiastic that I'll be having my water birth with midwives that I love! I hope everyone's doing well.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by my~hearts~light
Shalena that is BEAUTIFUL! Would you mind at all if I used the same colors? I'm trying to go fairly neutral but I love that so much! Could you tell me where you found that example and the paint colors?

Not at all!

The site the example is from is Behr.com. If you go here and enter the color "cabbage green" it will take you to their online application called Color smart. You can choose cabbage green as the main color, and then "cool details - 1" is the coordinate we chose. From there you can create the example.
Behr is sold at Home Depot, but we just went and got the paint chips from there and took the samples to Rodda paints. They have a special paint type called "horizon" which is basically fumeless (low voc etc). I felt totally safe while painting.

Anyway, the colors are:
  • Cabbage Green - 410A-2 (walls)
  • Velvet Sky - 570E-2 (trim)

#12 ·
Shalena, the room is just lovely! Beautiful colors. Your right, a few girly things, maybe a poster of flowers or fairies and elves would be just the thing.
(Says the woman who's girls room is blue and bright yellow, with a fairy theme.)

#14 ·
Elisabeth,

I intended to order one, and then saw it at the consignment shop. I thought it was neat, but cumbersome, with the playpen under it. Then, I found the wooden one on the manufacturer's site and thought I would order that, instead.

Then, I read in a few places that people liked them, but that they were only good for a short time, due to their size, so with next babies, they just went ahead and did actual in-bed cosleeping and found that worked better.

So, now I'm torn. DH and I don't have a LOT of extra room in our queen sized bed, so a cosleeper would be nice. If the babe outgrows it quickly, though....that's kind of a waste. I don't know what I'm going to do, other than it will be SOME form of cosleeping, for sure.

#15 ·
We used an original co-sleeper with dd until she was about 5 mos or so. Then I moved it to the living room and used it for the occassional nap and toy storage! She was still able to nap in it that way until she was about a year old.. and starting to climb!
We have a full sized bed and dd and I cosleep in it now..but since it is so small, that means dh sleeps elsewhere most nights!

#16 ·
hi mamas,

I've been out of commission for a while. I fell on the 25th and broke my leg. I had to have surgery, it was quite an ordeal. Dh was out of town when it happened, of course he came right home as fast as he could, but I was without him for the most frightening parts (like the fall and the emergency room). Baby seems to be okay, she's moving around a lot. Of course, my dreams of a low intervention pregnancy are over. I'm now on pain pills and blood thinners. I had daily dopplers while in the hospital and an additional 2 ultrasounds just to check on her. I guess under the circumstances, that was what I wanted though because I've been so worried about her.

Now I'm stuck at home in bed. Supposedly I'll be able to go back to work next week. I'm trying to imagine how because I get so tired just from hobbling out to the front porch, forget going all the way to work. I have limited access to the internet, just dial up, but I wanted to see how everyone was doing.

#17 ·
hilary!!
I can't imagine being pregnant with a broken leg! How scary for you, especially to have dh out of town. ! I hope you have lots of sitting-down projects to accomplish so you don't get too frustrated -- knitting? clipping coupons? pasting recipes to index cards (my favorite project....).

i'm almost to week 22. baby moves so much now! It makes me smile! He kicked dh really hard the other night, we saw my belly move. I am REALLY showing -- everyone is commenting how now I actually look pregnant. Feel it, too! my breasts rest on the top of my stomach in an annoying way ... its so hot here, and I am getting little sweat zits where my bra is.

COOL THING: I have been producing some milk -- colostrum, I guess -- which I see some mornings when I wake up. I'm so excited to know that I'm producing food!!!

#18 ·
Sorry to hear that Hilary!

As for the cosleeping thing: we broke our box spring a few years ago and since we are planning on (eventually!) getting a Kkng size mattress, we built a frame to fit that. Since we are still sleeping on the queen size mattress, our frame has an extra foot or so of space on one side. We thought we would initially use one of those little 'moses baskets' and put it in that space. Hopefully by the time the baby is rolling and mobile we will own that king size mattress and space won't be an issue!

#19 ·
Hilary, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I actually know a woman who fell down and broke her leg while pregnant, and her husband was out of town on a trip too! How weird. If it makes you feel any better, she was on the painkillers for a long time and her baby is healthy. The break really took a long time to heal though, because the baby was taking all of her calcium (or something like that). Try to make the most of it I guess, read some books, etc. Things you won't be able to do for awhile once you have the little one!

#20 ·
Having a broken leg puts the other aches and pains (sciatica, hip pain, etc.) in perspective!! Fast healing to you!

For the co-sleeper idea, what we have always done is to remove one side of a crib (I don't know if all cribs can do this, but I think any crib that has a side that drops down, can probably be removed....?) and adjust the height of the crib mattress so it's even with our mattress---instant co-sleeper, with lots of extra room. Then, if baby ever becomes a real crib sleeper, we can re-assemble crib and use in the regular way. This worked really well for our first two.

I am at 23 weeks, doing well. Last week I had an awful stomach virus, up all night. It felt like food poisoning it was so intense. Not recommended during pregnancy!!

I am having difficulties getting iron up to the right levels. I am taking Floradix and Yellow Dock and eating those leafy greens. Any other suggestions? I am soooo tired all the time. Can't even stay awake through my daughter reading to me at bedtime!

Happy Saturday!

#21 ·
We coslept in our queen til about 6 months, then he was just too big & moved too much for all 3 of us to fit. A few months later we bought a twin mattress & put it on the floor in ds's room. I sleep the 2nd 1/2 of the night on it with him. We will be moving that into our bedroom & putting a futon onto the floor in his room so he can come into our room at night when the new baby is here & so we have more room!

The optimal cosleeping gear (imo) would be a king sized bed on the floor (or close to it). When baby got bigger I'd put a twin mattress next to it.
The crib w/ a side removed is also good! We actually just got rid of our crib to make more space in ds's room -- I have a moses basket for when he's really tiny, then he will just sleep in the middle of our bed for naps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.